Jump to ratings and reviews

Mischief Bay #3

A Million Little Things

Zoe Saldivar is more than just single--she's alone. She recently broke up with her longtime boyfriend, she works from home and her best friend Jen is so obsessed with her baby that she has practically abandoned their friendship. The day Zoe accidentally traps herself in her attic with her hungry-looking cat, she realizes that it's up to her to stop living in isolation.

Her seemingly empty life takes a sudden turn for the complicated. Her first new friend is Jen's widowed mom, Pam. The only guy to give her butterflies in a very long time is Jen's brother. And Pam is being very deliberately seduced by Zoe's own smooth-as-tequila father. Pam's flustered, Jen's annoyed, and Zoe is beginning to think "alone" doesn't sound so bad, after all.

Friendship isn't just one thing--it's a million little things, and no one writes them with more heart and humor than book club sensation Susan Mallery.

368 pages, Paperback

First published February 28, 2017

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Susan Mallery

679 books13.3k followers
#1 New York Times bestselling author Susan Mallery writes heartwarming and humorous novels about the relationships that define women's lives—family, friendship, romance. She's best known for putting nuanced characters into emotionally complex, real-life situations with twists that surprise readers to laughter. Because Susan is passionate about animal welfare, pets play a big role in her books. Beloved by millions of readers worldwide, her books have been translated into 28 languages.

Critics have dubbed Mallery "the new queen of romantic fiction." (Walmart) Booklist says, "Romance novels don't get much better than Mallery's expert blend of emotional nuance, humor, and superb storytelling," and RT Book Reviews puts her "in a class by herself!" It's no wonder that her books have spent more than 200 weeks on the USA Today bestsellers list.

Although Susan majored in Accounting, she never worked as an accountant because she was published straight out of college with two books the same month. Sixteen prolific years and seventy-four books later, she hit the New York Times bestsellers list for the first time with Accidentally Yours in 2008. She made many appearances in the Top 10 before (finally) hitting #1 in 2015 with Thrill Me, the twentieth book in her most popular series, the Fool's Gold romances, and the fourth of five books released that year.

Susan lives in Washington state with her husband, two ragdoll cats, and a small poodle with delusions of grandeur. Her heart for animals has led Susan to become an active supporter of the Seattle Humane Society. Visit Susan online at www.SusanMallery.com.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
1 star
122 (1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 801 reviews
December 21, 2017
EXCERPT: My name is Zoe Saldivar and I just had stupid sex with my ex-boyfriend.

THE BLURB: Zoe Saldivar is more than just single-she's ALONE. She recently broke up with her longtime boyfriend, she works from home and her best friend Jen is so obsessed with her baby that she has practically abandoned their friendship. The day Zoe accidentally traps herself in her attic with her hungry-looking cat, she realizes that it's up to her to stop living in isolation.

Her seemingly empty life takes a sudden turn for the complicated-her first new friend is Jen's widowed mom, Pam. The only guy to give her butterflies in a very long time is Jen's brother. And meanwhile, Pam is being very deliberately seduced by Zoe's own smooth-as-tequila father. Pam's flustered, Jen's annoyed and Zoe is beginning to think "alone" doesn't sound so bad, after all.

MY THOUGHTS: Any of you who know me well, or follow my reviews, know that I don't do romance novels. But there is something about Susan Mallery's writing that has me making an exception. Mallery writes with a definite sense of humor that I appreciate. I love her grasp of family dynamics and her multi-faceted characters. I found myself listening to A Million Little Things with a wide smile on my face and a twinkle in my eyes.

If you are looking for a light bit of a fun read, I heartily recommend Mallery's books.

I listened to A Million Little Things by Susan Mallery, narrated by Tanya Eby via OverDrive. All opinions expressed in this review are entirely my own personal opinions. Please refer to my Goodreads.com profile page or the 'about' page on sandysbookaday.wordpress.com for an explanation of my rating system. This review and others are also published on my blog sandysbookaday.wordpress.com https://sandysbookaday.wordpress.com/...
Profile Image for Lily (Night Owl Book Cafe).
530 reviews458 followers
March 13, 2017
I usually like Susan Mallery's writing, I struggled with this one on a lot of levels.

The book follows three different women in three different stages of their lives.

Zoe has just had sex with her ex-boyfriend who couldn't commit. She bought a bigger house and quit her teaching job because apparently for some reason (even thought he didn't give her much) she thought she was going to need to be a step-mother to his daughters and that he was going to propose...

Jen is Zoe's best friend and is a stay at home mom that constantly worries. Her 18-month-old child has hit every single milestone in his development with the exception of talking. Jen firmly believes that there is something wrong with her son, even thought everyone else is telling her to give it time. Her husband is a detective and she doesn't like his partner Lucas because he likes his women too much.

Pam is Jen's mother and has always been a good friend to Zoe. She is a widow and isn't looking for love, but she was quick to try and hook up her son Steven with Zoe because she thought they would be good for each other. She also meets Zoe's father Miguel, who wants to date her.

So there is a lot of things going on in this book, there is some romance and dealing with issues and parenting. I just struggled with this because ever character was tough to like and the plot twist the author threw in the middle of the book felt displaced and I found myself angry.

I hated Jen, she was not only horrible to her husband's partner, but everyone else around her.  She thinks there is something wrong with her son and she does everything she can to limit his exposure to freaking everything. Her mother's dog cannot come into her house unless he had a bath the day off. Anytime her friend or mother shows up at her house, she is confused and asks them if she knew they were coming. She is into organic eating, no chemicals in her house, and everything has to be made of cotton and nothing that might be dangerous. Everyone she takes her son to tell her to give him time, that all the tests they did do not reveal anything wrong with her son, and she still explodes on them. She hates Lucas because he won't settle down and dates 20 year olds and thinks he is going to lead her husband astray, based on what logic? I am not sure.

Okay, let me point out that mothers with autistic children do not act like freaking idiots okay? My sister has a daughter, who she believed something was wrong with her after two years of not talking. When she took them to the doctor, they did tests and did find that she was in fact behind. No one told her to give her time, when they saw something, they did something, so when Jen constantly stood defiantly against the doctors claiming no, something is wrong, it was grating.

And of course, it spectacularly bites her in the ass half way through the book. I cannot mention what happens, but it took me everything to finish this damn book.

I felt like there was a ton of mixed signals in this book and it felt like the author was preaching some kind of an agenda. I didn't like how mothers with autistic children were addressed and painted in this book, it was unrealistic and it made me so angry.

I didn't like how unplanned pregnancy was addressed in this book either, especially given the situation. It felt like there was the only right answer to what happened here and anything is might as well rain fire.

Pam turned into a very ugly person by the end of this book and the way she was treating Zoe was unfounded and vicious.

I had a really, really hard time with the tone and the messages in this book. I even had the worse time agreeing with anything that happened.

I was actually happy when things bit Jen in the ass both times, but everything still felt just too wrong for me.

After writing this review.. I've decided a 2 star rating was appropriate after all. I know a lot of people loved it, and it's great, but some things just did not do well for me at all.This review was originally posted on Night Owl Book Cafe
Profile Image for Eilonwy.
814 reviews201 followers
November 19, 2017
3-1/2 stars

This was a sweet story about three women facing issues in their lives: 20-something Zoe, who just broke up with her long-time boyfriend and needs to get a new life; Zoe's best friend, Jen, who is completely obsessed with her 18-month-old son to the detriment of the rest of her life; and Jen's mother, Pam, widowed for two years but maybe--just maybe--interested in starting to date again.

There was nothing particularly outstanding about this book, but at I did really enjoy it. I can't tell if Susan Mallery was actually a counselor before she started writing or if she's just been through good therapy herself, but she brought excellent emotional insights to her characters and their relationships which I really liked and admired -- they added extra depth to situations that might otherwise have felt slightly fluffy or contrived.

I definitely plan to read more books by this author.
Profile Image for Obsidian.
2,676 reviews919 followers
February 26, 2018
I think after this I am pretty much done with the Mischief Bay series. This book really aggravated me since I think Mallery wants her cake (write a contemporary romance) but then she there feels like there is very little romance and people just running around acting like assholes for most of the book until the very end.

"A Million Little Pieces" follows two characters who should be familiar to readers from the first book, Jen and her mother Pam from "The Girls of Mischief Bay." It's been about 2 years since that first book. Jen was pregnant in the first book and Pam was dealing with being widowed. Now two years on, Jen is a mess freaking out that her young son is not talking. Pam has gone on with her life and is happy, but a potential romance has her thinking if she is ready to be alone forever. The third person this book follows is Jen's best friend Zoe. I tried to like Zoe, but I was over her after Mallery took a real bad direction with her story-line.

The characters felt very flat in this one. It was hard to feel sympathy towards Jen since she was acting shrill and insane through most of the book. Someone mentioned post-partum depression and I wish that more of the characters pushed her on talking to a doctor. Instead her mother and Zoe hold an intervention and even I was all "you both suck so hard right now." I also cringed when Zoe's mother is all you need to have sex with your husband more cause who cares if you are barely sleeping and freaking out about your son. I felt like at times I had time traveled back to the 60s with some of the comments Pam was making.

Pam was okay at first, I just don't care about her weird dog. She also turns into an uber asshole when a story-line involving Zoe and her son comes about. I mean...she had good points, she just went about it the wrong way. I was honestly team no one during this whole thing.

Zoe. Nope. I just could not with her entire ludicrous story-line.

The writing was okay, I just found myself bored. Flip flopping between the three women was not done very well. I found myself missing the other characters from the first two books more.

The setting of Mischief Bay is a good one. I just wish that Mallery was doing more with it. I don't know if it would help to age down or up the characters or what. Or maybe just focus on one person one story-line. Nothing really gelled here for me in this one.
Profile Image for Lexy.
960 reviews18 followers
January 8, 2019
A million little things was a good book but it made me angry at some parts
February 13, 2017
Mallery is a master story teller and a giver of the feels...every time! A Million Little Pieces is one of my FAVORITES of hers. It was so good. From cover to cover I really loved it. I could see this being adapted to a TV series or a movie because it was richly written, character driven and well plotted. I know every time I read a book by Mallery I know I will end the novel feeling good and it will be an amazing reading experience. This time I was in love, plain and simple. Read this book...you will thank me later!!!
325 reviews5 followers
February 23, 2017
***This book was sent as a giveaway/review copy by the publisher***

DNF. I DNF'd this book very early because within about 70 pages, I was counting the sexist references/tropes instead of being able to enjoy the story.

Probably not spoilers?:
1. Men don't like cats.
2. Men don't read instruction manuals.
3. Stepmothers take over parenting responsibilities and take the career hit
4. Only women talk about emotional things.

The super-sexist stuff only appeared when the male lead did, and because that's not how I like my romance, this book hit the DNF pile.
Profile Image for Syndi.
2,799 reviews617 followers
October 9, 2018
The book about 3 women in different state of their life experiencing life, love, motherhood and friendship. Its not much angst in this book. Even though the author build up a good conflict. I like to see bit more angst with the conflict.

The 1 character i can connect is jen. How she experience motherhood and plague with anxiety and perfection to be the best mother. She also wants a perfect baby. No matter how the doctor told her that her son is fine, she is always find something is wrong/ lacking.

As for zoe and pam, they so tanglr up finding love that they forgo their friendship.

It is an OK book.
3 stars
Profile Image for Pilar S.C..
Author 9 books188 followers
March 25, 2020
En general, me ha parecido una novela muy bien elaborada. Los entresijos de los personajes principales es sublime e, incluso, ellos mismos son memorables.
Personalmente, he admirado a la madre de Steve y al padre de Zoe.
Una novela maravillosa.
Profile Image for Leigh Kramer.
Author 1 book1,162 followers
February 8, 2017
I haven't read this author before and unfortunately I don't think I'll try again. This was predictable but enjoyable at first. I don't mind a good fluffy read every so often. But the character Jen grated on every last nerve of mine and then Mallery made a certain plot choice that made me want to throw the book across the room. It was a cheap move and didn't lead to character growth. In fact, most of the characters were emotionally immature and short-sighted. It looks like most people here enjoyed this one, however, so perhaps this one was just not for me.

Disclosure: I received an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Profile Image for Lisa B..
1,263 reviews6 followers
March 6, 2017
This is the story of three women. Pam, the widowed mother to Jen. She feels no one could ever replace her husband and refuses to even consider dating. Jen, a new Mom who is obsessed with the fact that her young son is not talking. Even though everyone, including her doctors, assure her Jack is just fine, she cannot let it go. Finally there is Zoe. She is Jen’s best friend who recently broke up with her long time boyfriend and is trying to figure out what direction to take her life.

I really struggled through the first half of this story. I think it was because I could not connect with any of the characters. Things really turned around in the second half. Each of the three women had to face a difficult turning point. Not only did they have to decide how to handle things, but they also had to decide whether they would support one another. For me, this was when the story became much more interesting. I’m glad I decided to stick with this book.

ARC from Harlequin via Netgalley.
Profile Image for Kirsten .
1,565 reviews251 followers
November 3, 2018
I really enjoyed this. More chick lit than a romance, this is a multi-character soap opera. One young woman has recently lost her father, the other her mother. One the mother of an 18 month old, one finds herself unexpectedly pregnant. Then there is the one woman's mother dating the other's father. Add to this the brother of one dating the other woman.

The "million little things" of the title seems to be all the mini-crises that erupt around these three women and there worlds. I really enjoyed this. The women were REAL women. The crises REAL crises. I may have to read this author again.
Profile Image for Darcy.
12.1k reviews417 followers
March 1, 2017
I liked seeing how these 3 women's relationships changed. There were ups and downs, time when they didn't really like each other, where they hurt each other, where the choices they made upset the other. But like life, they all managed to work through things, to find a way back to the friendship they once had. by the end of the book I had hope that their lives going forward would be nothing but good.
Profile Image for Dawn.
342 reviews29 followers
January 14, 2018
For Zoe Saldivar, getting locked in her attic with her cat is the day she finally figures out her life is at a standstill. No boyfriend, a best friend, Jen, who is obsessed with her first child and has abandoned her friendship with Zoe and a life that looks to be as boring as ever. Zoe finds that in order to shake things up, she needs to stop living in isolation and get out of the house. First thing she does is join an exercise class where she reconnects with Jen’s mom, Pam. But when she meets Steven, Jen’s brother, well let’s just say butterflies in Zoe’s stomach turn to elephants stomping all over the place. But when a crisis happens to Zoe, she will find that when life happens, complications come around that will show not just Zoe the answers but also Jen and Pam as well.
I absolutely adore this author’s work. Her stories are filled with believable characters, captivating stories and full of so many wonderful feel moments that you can not help but get caught up with it all while reading it. I laughed, cried, cheered and growled my way through A MILLION LITTLE THINGS and loved every minute of it. The characters are what draw you in and steal your heart. We met Pam and Nicole in The Girl’s of Mischief Bay (book 1) and I loved revisiting her in book 3. It was fun to see how they are doing now and see how their lives are changed. Meeting some new characters-Jen. Zoe, Zoe’s dad, Miguel and more helped me love this small town even more. The story moves at a fast pace but doesn’t take away from story that connects Zoe, Jen and Pam.
A MILLION LITTLE THINGS is fun, sweet, tender and by god, totally addicting. This is an author who knows how to reel their readers in with each page flipped and subtly steal their hearts in the process. I loved seeing Zoe, Jen and Pam learn and grow as the story unfolded while I laughed at some of of the scenes with Miguel and Kirk’s partner, Lucas. Those scenes helped bring some joy and lightness to the story even as the reader winds their way through the storylines and falls even more under this author’s spell.

If you haven’t tried this author’s work before you need to race to get the books in this series or any of her other ones. All are amazing and you won’t resist after reading just one of Ms. Mallery’s book for another book of this author’s. I am eager to see where she goes next for her readers to enjoy and look forward to visiting Mischief Bay again in the future.
This is an objective review and not an endorsement
Profile Image for Debra .
2,126 reviews34.9k followers
March 1, 2017

Zoe Salvidar recently broke up with her boyfriend of five years. She works from home but feels that something is missing. After locking herself and her cat in her attic, she decides that it is time to stop being so alone and get out in the real world and be around people.

Jen, is Zoe's best friend. She is a stay at home Mother who worries about everything but mainly about her toddler son not talking. He has met all of milestones, but still does not speak. Everyone in Jen's life tells her that Jack (her son) will speak when he is ready but she is convinced that there is something wrong with her child. Jen also worries about her husband, who is a police officer in Los Angeles. She becomes defensive easily when her constant anxiety is pointed out to her.

Pam is Jen's Mother and also Zoe's friend. Zoe joins Pam for Pilates and Pam decides that Zoe may be the perfect match for her son Steven. Pam is a widower whose husband died. They had been married for over 30 years and Pam has given Jen and her husband her home and has moved into a condo by the Ocean with her brightly dressed dog.

Through her friendship with Zoe, Pam meets Miguel, who just happens to be Zoe's father. There is a spark and Pam feels some quilt and unease about being interested in another man. Her son, Steven is concerned about his Mother dating because dating has changed since she was a teenager.

Whew! There is a lot going on in this book. A lot of characters but none of it got confusing. This is a romance novel and love is in the air! But there are also other themes touched on in this book as well such as loss, second chances,coping with anxiety, responsibility, trust, love, accepting what you cannot control, friendship, and love. There is a twist in this book which causes some conflict for all of the characters to deal with. Their reactions are human and feel real. This proved to be a quick enjoyable read.

I received a copy of this book from the publisher and NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

See more of my reviews at www.openbookpost.com
Profile Image for Chloe (Always Booked).
1,782 reviews120 followers
March 30, 2019
Still loving this series! This one follows Pam, her daughter Jen and Jen's best friend Zoe. I love how all of the characters are so connected and we circle back around to characters from the 1st book even if they weren't in the 2nd. That being said, she also does a good enough job of giving background that you could read these as standalones, though I wouldn't recommend it because it adds so much to know the characters. My only complaints about this book are that it was very predictable and a little too convenient in all of the coupling up. I also still just struggle a little with Pam as a character. She seems to be a strange juxtaposition of traits that is a little unrealistic. This one also felt a little slower than the others, but maybe thats just because I'm binging the whole series. I really liked the exploration of postpartum mood disorders. Jen is suffering from postpartum anxiety and she seeks help and does what she needs to do to take care of herself. I thought her story was a little exaggerated, but it brought some good topics up and I thought it had good value. Highly recommend!

SPOILERS AHEAD:
Jen is Pam's daughter and the one who inherited the house when Pam decided to move into Shannon's condo. She has an 18 month old son and she's riddled with anxiety and paranoia about what may happen to him. Her husband is also a detective so the anxiety runs rampant in poor Jen. She has to ensure that Pam has recently bathed her dog before she comes over because of germs and she's afraid to do anything with her son. Furthermore, her son is not talking so she's convinced something is wrong with him. However, in the end the son starts talking to other people- just not her because she meets his needs before he ever needs to speak. The last line of the book is her son speaking to her. So sweet.
Jen's husband has a partner on the job named Lucas. Jen doesn't like him at first because he's crass and sleeps around and drinks a lot, but then he literally takes a bullet to protect her husband. She allows Lucas to move in so they can take care of him while he's recovering and she sees the way he and her son connect and she realizes there is a soft side to him and he's actually a really good guy. In the end he's fully recovered and still doing his bachelor things, but that doesn't mean he's a bad guy. I liked seeing his bond with the little boy. He was the first one the kid spoke to.
Zoe is Jen's best friend. She is single and was dating a guy but then found out he was married and a jerk. Pam plays matchmaker and sets her up with her son Steven (the one who took over his father's company when he died and is now Hayley's boss). Near the middle of the book she gets a phone call that her birth control shot was defective and she needed to come in. Lo and behold she's pregnant! And the ex boyfriend is the father! Steven wants to be a dad to the kid and is in love with Zoe. She feels bad but they come to terms with it and live happily ever after.
Pam starts sort of dating Zoe's dad. Everyone's happy with the situation until she finds out that Zoe is pregnant. She turns on her and is super rude and tells her she has to break up with Steven. Her dad defends her and their relationship ends. However, Pam realizes shes being a jerk and that she needs to let Steven make his own decisions so she gives her blessing and she and Zoe's dad get back together.
The pregnancy thing is a little too convenient. They slept together once and there was a flaw so of course she's pregnant. It can happen but I'd imagine the odds are sort of low. The coupling of the parents is another thing that's very convenient. All that being said, I'm still excited to continue the series!
98 reviews2 followers
April 18, 2018
I didn't love the character of Jen, but I liked that she seemed the most real. A new mom suffering from anxiety. She was well written and while I don't have any kids,I felt like I could feel what she was going through. Zoe, I also understood a bit when you've grown up and the people around you are now in different places and feeling alone. Pam, just kind of sucked in this book. Their stories intertwine as friends/family...the struggles within their dynamic and then outside forces that help them to "see and move along". It's far from a deep read, but it was a quick and enjoyable one.
Profile Image for Nancy H.
2,577 reviews
January 7, 2021
This is an excellent entry in the Mischief Bay series. I liked the others and thought they couldn't get any better, yet they have. This one tells the story from three points of view, those of Pam, Zoe, and Jen, which may sound confusing, yet it clear and very helpful as the story move forward. There are important issues and themes in this story that many women will recognize. I highly recommend it.
Profile Image for Brandy.
884 reviews33 followers
May 18, 2019
A very enjoyable (if a bit convoluted!) story. Because honestly, life is messy, and there’s nothing messier than dating your best friends brother, while your dad dates their mom 😂
616 reviews9 followers
March 23, 2017
Jen should have been diagnosed a lot sooner. She was worse than a helicopter parent - she's a hoverboard parent...

Zoe - really couldn't feel a connection with her which is sad since she is a main character and I'm sure will be a heroine of the 4th's book in the series.

Pam - Can she go away now? She's been in the first three books so far and should be moved to a mention only role - kind of like Shannon.

Profile Image for Carrie Padgett.
Author 3 books68 followers
February 28, 2017
Even though I was sad to say good-bye to Fool’s Gold, I took comfort that Susan Mallery was still writing. And she was branching out from romance only to some compelling women’s fiction.

Mallery’s Mischief Bay series is definitely less romance, more women’s fiction. Mischief Bay has many things in common with Fool’s Gold. The warmth and humor for starters. But there are some major differences too.

Mischief Bay has heart and sunshine, but no over-the-top characters like Eddie and Gladys from Fool’s Gold. There are still businesses with fun names, but no all-knowing Mayor Marsha.

A MILLION LITTLE THINGS has characters both new and familiar. We met Pam in THE GIRLS OF MISCHIEF BAY. She’s now been widowed for two years. Her daughter Jen is dealing with her eighteen-month-old son who won’t talk and she can’t get anyone to believe her that something is wrong. Jen and her best friend Zoe have been drifting apart since Jen’s been so wrapped up in Jack. Zoe’s recently single and alone. So alone that when she was accidentally locked in her attic, she was afraid she’d die up there and no one would find her body for weeks.

Zoe decides to make some changes in her life and, after a gentle nudge from Pam, begins dating Pam’s son and Jen’s brother, Brian. Jen’s anxiety worsens, not just about Jack’s speech. Her husband is a cop and she worries about him too. Pam is happy, but also intrigued and flattered when Zoe’s father expresses interest in her. She agrees to dinner, but tells him she doesn’t date. Which surprises him, since they are on a date.

I enjoyed this a lot. The characters are people I feel like I either know already or I would enjoy getting to know them. If you like small town women’s fiction with humor and romance, (and really–who doesn’t??) then I know you’ll love Mischief Bay and A MILLION LITTLE THINGS.

Each book in the Mischief Bay series can stand alone. Some characters have encores, but nothing in the new stories will spoil it if you go back and read an earlier book.

I love this series and highly recommend it and this book.

I received a free copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review. Done!
Profile Image for Dianne.
1,526 reviews117 followers
February 22, 2018
4.5 Stars

A Million Little Things by Susan Mallery

I don’t usually like books A with more than one story-line going on at a time, usually I only like this if the characters are secondary and it doesn’t impact the main story at all. However, Ms Mallery is a deft hand at using this writing device and with this book it was used to a very good advantage. The three women we meet will all take center stage, so we can look at it as if this book is three separate stories -it isn’t though, since all three women are either related or best of friends.

Three separate women -Zoe, Pam, and Jen - an older woman (Pam) and her issues with widowhood, her son, and her daughter; a younger mother (Jen) who must come to terms with her toddler son who won’t speak. Not can’t but won’t. And Zoe who I think of as the main character because we meet her first and who really will have some big problems to iron out, as we will see later in this book.

I loved this book - it is all about very strong women and how they cope with what seems like insurmountable problems, they cope with romance in their lives, sexual issues, altering ones’ outlook on life, relationship issues, child rearing and birth issues as well as many smaller problems along the way.

The self-growth of each of these women and the paths they had to take to realize their true worth, was well worth the time I took to read this novel. This is way more than a romance novel-it is a romance inside of a women’s lit novel and is well worth the ride. Except for one interesting scene late in this book, there is no sex, not even with Zoe and Steven who are having the ‘romance’. This was surprising to me, but in a happy way.

This book was a joy to read - I am not always happy with Ms Mallery’s writing, but this one was wonderful. If there was one issue I had it was a problem I had with Zoe’s character later in the book and the fact that the author seemed to use ‘beating a dead horse’ as a plot device and it did nothing to move the story along.

*ARC supplied by publisher.
Profile Image for Michele.
2,009 reviews
April 6, 2017
A Million Little Things was a heartfelt piece of women’s literature that pulled in several interesting elements to make it quite a page-turner for me: romance at different stages in life, family drama, the testing of friendships, and small town dynamics as well.

First off, I have to say that this can be read either as a standalone or as part of the Mischief Bay series with no problem. Secondly, this is more of an ensemble cast where we got three different women’s POVs, so probably not every reader will connect with every character. I respected Zoe, Jen, and Pam equally, but found myself more in tune with Zoe. She had a fun personality and a good sense of humor about her issues for the most part, not giving in too much to self-pity. Jen on the other hand…I could empathize with her anxiety issues but it was tough to see how far she took things, alienating herself from her loved ones at times. And Pam, well, I started off really loving her straight forward manner but had a tough go of it when she copped an attitude with her (grown) children toward the last third of the book.

Full Review on HarlequinJunkie Blog:
Profile Image for Jennifer Brown.
2,194 reviews40 followers
March 12, 2017
Another winner by this author! This book follows Zoe and her friends as they struggle with their own problems. Her best friend Jen is all about her baby Jack. Jen's mom (Pam) and Zoe's dad start seeing each other and we get to see Pam struggle through getting on after her husband died not that long ago.

I liked Zoe's character and how real she was. She didn't try to lie/trap Steven when she could have. I was actually a little surprised at that story line because I thought for sure that Chad was not going to be significant in this book at all! It kept me wanting to keep reading! There were a few times when I wanted to slap Jen. I thought, could someone really be that obsessed with with their kid that they can't see the real picture?? Maybe it's because I do not have any child that I don't understand, but it was like ahhh! Then there was the way Pam flipped out. I thought for sure she was just at a breaking-ish point. I loved the scene with her friends going back and forth like they were in her head. :-)

Overall, this was an enjoyable book and I would definitely recommend this series to others (and I will to my patrons!)!

I received a copy of this book from the publisher in exchange of a fair and honest review.
Profile Image for Lori.
345 reviews
April 16, 2017
3-3.5 stars. Is it just me or did this end really abruptly? I wasn't paying attention to where I was and then all of the sudden, boom, it was just..over.
Anyway, it was good. Nothing life changing or earth shattering, but good. Easily read on its own without having read the first 2 in the series.
I had a hard time connecting to this book and it took me much longer to finish it then something like this generally would. Jen was really annoying in her obsession that "something" was wrong with her son and her obsession with every little germ. Life is dirty, get over it.
I don't know how realistic the relationship with Zoe and Steven was/is. But everyone is different. Pam was sort of obnoxious in her reaction to the "news" however I don't have kids so I guess I can't judge her reaction.
Anyway, not Mallery's best work but still okay.
Profile Image for Annabelle.
205 reviews35 followers
December 4, 2020
“Wer nicht liebt, der nicht gewinnt” ist der dritte und somit vorletzte Band in der Mischief Bay Reihe von Susan Mallery. Ich habe bereits diverse Bücher (die Happily-Inc-Reihe, „Wo sich die Sterne spiegeln“, „Die Liebe der Sonnenschwestern“, „Weihnachten mit Susan Mallery“, “Das Weihnachtswunder von Westwood”, uvm.) der Autorin gelesen und bin immer wieder aufs Neue von ihren Charakteren und Geschichten begeistert. Susan Gallery hat einfach einen tollen, bildhaften, lebhaften, bunten und so fließenden Schreibstil, das man durch ihre Bücher nur so durchfliegt und dabei immer ein wundervoll farbenfrohes Kopf-Kino hat. Ich kann durch ihren Schreibstil immer sofort in ihre Geschichten eintauchen und bin ganz bei den Charakteren und fühle mit ihnen.
Profile Image for Veda.
340 reviews2 followers
May 29, 2017
This is book three set in Mischief Bay. Each book stands alone, but it does help if you have read the previous books to help you keep the characters of the book straight and to know what happened in the past for these characters.
This book had a few surprises I wasn't expecting. And it touched on several subjects that are and can be touchy subjects. You will have to read the book to find them all.
I have enjoyed this book, and would like another book, that is set down the road in the future to see what has happened to the friends, family that I have enjoyed reading about. I felt the anger, anxiety, the love, and the feeling when things start working right again.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 801 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.