Start by marking “The Things You Can See Only When You Slow Down: Guidance on the Path to Mindfulness from a Spiritual Leader” as Want to Read:

"Is it the world that's busy, or is it my mind?"

The world moves fast, but that doesn't mean we have to. In this best-selling mindfulness guide - it has sold more than three million copies in Korea, where it was a number-one best-seller for 41 weeks and received multiple best book of the year awards - Haemin Sunim (which means "spontaneous wisdom"), a renowned Buddhist
Published February 7th 2017 by Penguin Books (first published January 13th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Things You Can See Only When You Slow Down, please sign up.
Dzuy Anh Theo mình nó như những khoảng nghỉ để mình suy nghĩ. Như tên cuốn sách " Bước chậm lại.... " những quyển khác mình có thể đọc với tốc độ khá nhanh (…moreTheo mình nó như những khoảng nghỉ để mình suy nghĩ. Như tên cuốn sách " Bước chậm lại.... " những quyển khác mình có thể đọc với tốc độ khá nhanh ( 550 - 600 ) riêng quyển này thực sự mình không có đọc nó để nuốt lấy ý tưởng hay những lời khuyên. Mà đọc nó như đi dạo cùng những câu chữ của tác giả..chỉ vậy thôi ( đọc " liên tục " 1 tuần mới xong :)) )(less)

Start your review of The Things You Can See Only When You Slow Down: Guidance on the Path to Mindfulness from a Spiritual Leader
Rebecca Jane Brown
Jun 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. To summarise my thoughts: this book is what you reach for when you're feeling low - it's a hug in book format. I recommend you don't read from cover to cover in one sitting - read when you need a little inspiration or pick me up. It's such a sweet and simple book - anyone could read and glean the wisdom it provides.... I recommend <3.

(My book had an updated cover, it was blue and hard back.)
Syeda Ahad
Jun 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Heart warming, soothing, simple, yet full of wisdom :) Started reading it at a difficult time and this book helped me find myself back again. I wouldn't say it is filled with extraordinary enlightenment, but that is the best part about it. There are some simple yet powerful truth which we all know deep down inside, but it is so easy to loose our connection with those when we are too wound up in our busy life. This book was a kind a gentle reminder to those truths for me. A small book, but I took ...more
Brandice
May 07, 2019 rated it liked it
I listened to the audiobook of The Things You Can See Only When You Slow Down: Guidance on the Path to Mindfulness from a Spiritual Leader after seeing a few positive reviews for it. It’s a short audiobook (approximately 3 hours) and while worth a listen, once, it didn’t offer any groundbreaking or novel new ideas. At best, it’s a reminder to be present in the moment. For example:

- Be aware of your emotions as you experience them. They are passing through.

- Witness the emergence of a thought.
Katie
Oct 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Nothing new here but I somehow felt lighter as I kept reading.

Don't dwell on negative thoughts.
Forgive others.
Remember to treat yourself with compassion.
Perspective can change any stressful situation.
Choose happiness, not success.
Always take time to listen.

See more of my reviews: Blog // Instagram
Diana Long
Feb 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A philosophy of promoting peace and tranquility into our lives regardless of religious beliefs. The author is a Buddist Monk from Korea and yet he is comfortable quoting favorite passages from the Bible or making references to Kalil Gibran. Enlightening and Inspirational.
Kirsty
I was given a copy of Haemin Sunim's The Things You Can See Only When You Slow Down by a dear friend after she undertook a stint of work experience at Penguin. Thoughtfully, Abbie wrote in her note that she thought this tome would be a good antidote to in-depth thesis reading, and it was.

Nearly three million copies of the book have been sold worldwide since its publication in 2012, and it has been translated from its original Korean by Chi-Young Kim in collaboration with the author himself. This
Kent Winward
Sep 01, 2017 rated it it was ok
Chicken Soup for the Fortune Cookie.
Home cooked homilies with an Eastern flavor.
Slow down and you'll not see anything new here.
Hákon Gunnarsson
Mar 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
It’s a nice book, with some interesting insights into mindfulness, but I thought it was slightly repetitive. In the beginning the author, Haemin Sunim, says that it’s best read slowly to get the most out of it, but I read it pretty quickly. Maybe that’s why I found it a little repetative. Anyway, I liked it for most parts.
Milan
Nov 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a small book of practical thoughts from a Buddhist monk. Haemin Sunim's book should be read slowly. I had to keep the book aside many times and think about how I behave in certain situations. The book is divided into eight sections: Rest, Mindfulness, Passion, Relationships, Love, Life, The Future and Spirituality and any topic can be read first. The wisdom contained in this book cannot be absorbed in one reading. It should be read multiple times. “We know the world only through the ...more
Lana
Nov 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
soothing and heart-warming, this is the book young people can seek for in search of understanding, healing and warmth ~
Gearóid
Jan 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very nice little book.
Full of good advise and common sense.
Nikki Sarrat-O'Connell
Feb 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Good things come in small packages. This is one!! ...more
Lisa Shultz
Jul 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
A book that is meant to read slowly. I found reading a few pages before bed, upon rising or in the bath to be a good time. It helped me to ground and balance.
Michelle Curie
This is a lovely and sweet collection of aphorisms and essays phrased by a Buddhist monk and teacher. It is essentially a guide to mindfulness, comprising spiritual advice on dealing with anything from relationships to stress and a book that is easy to dip in and out of.

It is divided in eight chapters, each focussing on a different topic: Rest, Mindfulness, Passion, Relationships, Love, Life, The Future, Spirituality. Each part starts with a short personal story by Sunim before moving on to a
Aligermaa Tse
Sep 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
I picked this book up, somehow thinking the author was a woman. I am glad for the mistake though because I loved it from the beginning till the end. Oftentimes I found myself nodding and thinking of similar experiences. In the prologue, he suggests readers to contemplate after each chapter, rather than skimming through the book. What a great advice. That way, more of his teachings and ideas remained afterwards. Based on the title of the book, I was expecting something banal like “stop doing ...more
Viv JM

This is really quite a sweet little book. Each chapter contains a very short essay, followed by an illustration and then some short soundbites to ponder on (kind of in the style of the Dhammapada, perhaps). It's not breaking new ground and there are other more comprehensive guides to mindfulness, but it's nevertheless a nice book to have and dip into for subjects for meditative thought. I particularly liked the author's open-minded attitude to other religions and beliefs. The
Kelly
I had a three hour drive and decided to listen to this one since it clocks in at that time and it was fantastic. I'm going to need to pick up a hard copy, though, to underline and note some of the real great insights and thoughts. I was especially smitten with how Sunim reminds readers that all spiritual leaders would, because of their belief in a bigger spirit of whatever form, get along and respect that other people's paths are as valid and worthy as their own.
Iqra M.
Oct 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was such a lovely read and an aesthetically pleasing book. I enjoyed the format and writing style. What's more, throughout the whole book, there are plenty of beautiful illustrations.

It's important to read this book gradually to devour and absorb the beautiful words of advice by Haemin Sunim. However, I find some of the quotes quite repetitive and vague. Maybe the beauty of the words somehow got lost in translation?
Nevertheless, an insightful book on the world of mindfulness.
Zarina
Mar 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Things You Can Only See When You Slow Down comprises of a series of inspiring essays by Zen Buddhist teacher and author Haemin Sunim, interspersed with thought provoking quotes by him and other influential people in the world of mindfulness. Alongside these there is also stunning art by Youngcheol Lee, which not only beautifully compliments the writing but provides a serene backdrop for contemplation in its own right.

Divided in eight distinctive chapters – rest, mindfulness, passion,
ArkarAung
Sep 27, 2019 rated it liked it
At least, you can feel calmness and tranquility during reading it.
Eileen
This is something that I like to listen to (a chapter each time) before I go to bed. I will probably keep it on my phone to listen to fairly regularly. It helps me slow down and focus on my breathing and just receive. The reader does a pretty good job and I feel like I can drift off after listening to a chapter.
Surya
May 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good, relaxing, soothing and comforting, easy to read and could be understood and related by many.
A good read indeed.
VC Gan
Mar 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What an uplifting book. TImeless wisdom and beautiful artwork.

A must-read for everyone.
Liza Fireman
Apr 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
Well, I am torn. I have learned to appreciate more spiritual attitudes with me growing up into a grown-up people's age. I learn to appreciate smelling the flowers, and giving time to body and soul. But I still am the same energetic, not-so-very-patient soul inside I guess, so I can't turn 180 degrees from where I started and still have some very hard time with very very spiritual books or methods.

So for example I liked this paragraph:
We know the world only through the window of our mind.
When our
Nyamka Ganni
"Knowledge wants to talk. Wisdom wants to listen."

“What makes music beautiful is the distance between one note and another. What makes speech eloquent is the appropriate pause between words. From time to time we should take a breath and notice the silence between sounds.”

“Do not fight your negative emotions. Observe and befriend them.”

"When blinded by anger, we make choices we later regret. Leaving the room before the bridge is burned is a sign of maturity."

“We know the world only through the
Petar Ivanov
Nov 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Amazing book with so much wisdom from the East. All the quotes and essays hide a lot of food for thought which thrilled and made me think a lot. It helped me to additionally improve and boost my new thinking about the universe and life.
Matthias
Jul 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
A book you can only appreciate when you slow down to read and reread it.
Marina
** Books 68 - 2019 **

3,8 of 5 stars!

“The more grateful we feel, the happier we become. This is because gratitude helps us realize we are all connected. Nobody feels like an island when feeling grateful. Gratitude awakens us to the truth of our interdependent nature.”

I dunno why but i think the situation is around me is not getting better (especially my working place) and i just need some books that lighten and enriching my minds. so thats why reading this pieces is makes me more grateful in
Sam
Oct 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There’s a theory that we become what engulfs our senses, so if you read or hear something it becomes you, at least temporarily; that’s why we prefer different situations and people to surround ourselves with. This book engulfed me with wisdom and had the transformative effect of heightening my self-awareness and centring me. I found myself in situations where I was experiencing an emotion and I was able to observe it from a detached distance before I selected how to respond. It’s an odd feeling ...more
Chris
Jul 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
'The Things You Can See Only When You Slow Down' by Haemin Sunim

“may this book inspire you to connect with the kinder and wiser side of yourself.”

The book centre’s on ways to recognize lovely moments that happen every day, such as a child’s smile. It's comprised of eight short chapters that cover the anxieties that have become part of modern life; rest, relationships, spirituality, and more—making it easy for even the busiest reader to pick up. Sunim’s words are profound but familiar, simple

• Đắc Nhân Tâm
  • Bạn đắt giá bao nhiêu?
  • Zen: The Art of Simple Living
  • Hyvä elämä - Lyhyt oppimäärä
  • Ikigai: Los secretos de Japón para una vida larga y feliz
  • Mình Nói Gì Khi Nói Về Hạnh Phúc
  • Trưởng thành sau ngàn lần tranh đấu
  • Steeds leuker
  • Trên Đường Băng
  • Leven met wind mee
  • Tôi Là Một Con Lừa
  • Life Love Books: Advice You Wish Your Parents Had Given You
Haemin Sunim is one of the most influential Zen Buddhist teachers and writers in South Korea, where his books have sold more than three million copies and are popular as guides not only to mediation but also to overcoming the challenges of everyday life.

Born in South Korea, he came to the United States to study film, only to find himself pulled into the spiritual life. Educated at UC Berkeley,
“When people who don't know you well admire you, they are seeing their projected illusion, not your real self.
In contrast, when people who know you well respect you, it is probably because you deserve it.”
33 likes
“Some say they don’t really know what they are looking for in life. This might be because, instead of getting in touch with how they feel, they have led their lives according to other people’s expectations. Live your life not to satisfy others, but to fulfill what your heart desires.” 24 likes