Start by marking “The Things You Can See Only When You Slow Down: Guidance on the Path to Mindfulness from a Spiritual Leader” as Want to Read:

4.05  ·  Rating details ·  13,599 ratings  ·  1,548 reviews
"Is it the world that's busy, or is it my mind?"

The world moves fast, but that doesn't mean we have to. In this best-selling mindfulness guide - it has sold more than three million copies in Korea, where it was a number-one best-seller for 41 weeks and received multiple best book of the year awards - Haemin Sunim (which means "spontaneous wisdom"), a renowned Buddhist medi
Published February 7th 2017 by Penguin Books (first published January 13th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Things You Can See Only When You Slow Down, please sign up.
Ivana Beatrice Paulus worth, this book provides a wise perspective with a simple explanation
Dzuy Anh Theo mình nó như những khoảng nghỉ để mình suy nghĩ. Như tên cuốn sách " Bước chậm lại.... " những quyển khác mình có thể đọc với tốc độ khá nhanh ( 5…moreTheo mình nó như những khoảng nghỉ để mình suy nghĩ. Như tên cuốn sách " Bước chậm lại.... " những quyển khác mình có thể đọc với tốc độ khá nhanh ( 550 - 600 ) riêng quyển này thực sự mình không có đọc nó để nuốt lấy ý tưởng hay những lời khuyên. Mà đọc nó như đi dạo cùng những câu chữ của tác giả..chỉ vậy thôi ( đọc " liên tục " 1 tuần mới xong :)) )(less)

·  13,599 ratings  ·  1,548 reviews

Start your review of The Things You Can See Only When You Slow Down: Guidance on the Path to Mindfulness from a Spiritual Leader
Rebecca Jane Brown
Jun 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. To summarise my thoughts: this book is what you reach for when you're feeling low - it's a hug in book format. I recommend you don't read from cover to cover in one sitting - read when you need a little inspiration or pick me up. It's such a sweet and simple book - anyone could read and glean the wisdom it provides.... I recommend <3.

(My book had an updated cover, it was blue and hard back.)
Syeda Ahad
Jun 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Heart warming, soothing, simple, yet full of wisdom :) Started reading it at a difficult time and this book helped me find myself back again. I wouldn't say it is filled with extraordinary enlightenment, but that is the best part about it. There are some simple yet powerful truth which we all know deep down inside, but it is so easy to loose our connection with those when we are too wound up in our busy life. This book was a kind a gentle reminder to those truths for me. A small book, but I took ...more
Brandice
May 07, 2019 rated it liked it
I listened to the audiobook of The Things You Can See Only When You Slow Down: Guidance on the Path to Mindfulness from a Spiritual Leader after seeing a few positive reviews for it. It’s a short audiobook (approximately 3 hours) and while worth a listen, once, it didn’t offer any groundbreaking or novel new ideas. At best, it’s a reminder to be present in the moment. For example:

- Be aware of your emotions as you experience them. They are passing through.

- Witness the emergence of a thought.
Katie
Oct 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Nothing new here but I somehow felt lighter as I kept reading.

Don't dwell on negative thoughts.
Forgive others.
Remember to treat yourself with compassion.
Perspective can change any stressful situation.
Choose happiness, not success.
Always take time to listen.

See more of my reviews: Blog // Instagram
Jokoloyo
Aug 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
A universal feel good book. I recommend this book for everyone. There is a reason why this book is pretty popular on general bookstores.

This book has a lot of calming illustrations. Indeed this is a book for slowing down and ease our minds.
Kirsty
I was given a copy of Haemin Sunim's The Things You Can See Only When You Slow Down by a dear friend after she undertook a stint of work experience at Penguin. Thoughtfully, Abbie wrote in her note that she thought this tome would be a good antidote to in-depth thesis reading, and it was.

Nearly three million copies of the book have been sold worldwide since its publication in 2012, and it has been translated from its original Korean by Chi-Young Kim in collaboration with the author himself. This
Diana Long
Feb 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A philosophy of promoting peace and tranquility into our lives regardless of religious beliefs. The author is a Buddist Monk from Korea and yet he is comfortable quoting favorite passages from the Bible or making references to Kalil Gibran. Enlightening and Inspirational.
Kent Winward
Sep 01, 2017 rated it it was ok
Chicken Soup for the Fortune Cookie.
Home cooked homilies with an Eastern flavor.
Slow down and you'll not see anything new here.
Hákon Gunnarsson
Mar 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
It’s a nice book, with some interesting insights into mindfulness, but I thought it was slightly repetitive. In the beginning the author, Haemin Sunim, says that it’s best read slowly to get the most out of it, but I read it pretty quickly. Maybe that’s why I found it a little repetative. Anyway, I liked it for most parts.
Michelle Curie
This is a lovely and sweet collection of aphorisms and essays phrased by a Buddhist monk and teacher. It is essentially a guide to mindfulness, comprising spiritual advice on dealing with anything from relationships to stress and a book that is easy to dip in and out of.

It is divided in eight chapters, each focussing on a different topic: Rest, Mindfulness, Passion, Relationships, Love, Life, The Future, Spirituality. Each part starts with a short personal story by Sunim before moving on to a c
Lisa Shultz
Jul 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
A book that is meant to read slowly. I found reading a few pages before bed, upon rising or in the bath to be a good time. It helped me to ground and balance.
Myrthe
Jun 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction, kobo-plus
Alright, so this really disappointed me to be very honest. However, I don't think that's the book's fault, but rather my own: I went in with very wrong expectations. You see, I actually thought that this book would be full of things that you would see only when you slowed down: I was thinking things such as the way the moon reflects in the water on evening walks, or something. That's definitely not what this is: it's a book full of tiny quotes (or guideposts) on how to be happy. If you want to r ...more
Milan
Nov 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a small book of practical thoughts from a Buddhist monk. Haemin Sunim's book should be read slowly. I had to keep the book aside many times and think about how I behave in certain situations. The book is divided into eight sections: Rest, Mindfulness, Passion, Relationships, Love, Life, The Future and Spirituality and any topic can be read first. The wisdom contained in this book cannot be absorbed in one reading. It should be read multiple times. “We know the world only through the wind ...more
Lana
Nov 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
soothing and heart-warming, this is the book young people can seek for in search of understanding, healing and warmth ~
Gearóid
Jan 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very nice little book.
Full of good advise and common sense.
Viv JM

This is really quite a sweet little book. Each chapter contains a very short essay, followed by an illustration and then some short soundbites to ponder on (kind of in the style of the Dhammapada, perhaps). It's not breaking new ground and there are other more comprehensive guides to mindfulness, but it's nevertheless a nice book to have and dip into for subjects for meditative thought. I particularly liked the author's open-minded attitude to other religions and beliefs. The illustrati
Nikki Sarrat-O'Connell
Feb 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Good things come in small packages. This is one!! ✌
Zarina
Mar 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Things You Can Only See When You Slow Down comprises of a series of inspiring essays by Zen Buddhist teacher and author Haemin Sunim, interspersed with thought provoking quotes by him and other influential people in the world of mindfulness. Alongside these there is also stunning art by Youngcheol Lee, which not only beautifully compliments the writing but provides a serene backdrop for contemplation in its own right.

Divided in eight distinctive chapters – rest, mindfulness, passion, relati
Marina
** Books 68 - 2019 **

3,8 of 5 stars!

“The more grateful we feel, the happier we become. This is because gratitude helps us realize we are all connected. Nobody feels like an island when feeling grateful. Gratitude awakens us to the truth of our interdependent nature.”

I dunno why but i think the situation is around me is not getting better (especially my working place) and i just need some books that lighten and enriching my minds. so thats why reading this pieces is makes me more grateful in ju
Kelly
I had a three hour drive and decided to listen to this one since it clocks in at that time and it was fantastic. I'm going to need to pick up a hard copy, though, to underline and note some of the real great insights and thoughts. I was especially smitten with how Sunim reminds readers that all spiritual leaders would, because of their belief in a bigger spirit of whatever form, get along and respect that other people's paths are as valid and worthy as their own.
Iqra M.
Oct 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was such a lovely read and an aesthetically pleasing book. I enjoyed the format and writing style. What's more, throughout the whole book, there are plenty of beautiful illustrations.

It's important to read this book gradually to devour and absorb the beautiful words of advice by Haemin Sunim. However, I find some of the quotes quite repetitive and vague. Maybe the beauty of the words somehow got lost in translation?
Nevertheless, an insightful book on the world of mindfulness.
ArkarAung
Sep 27, 2019 rated it liked it
At least, you can feel calmness and tranquility during reading it.
Aligermaa Tse
Sep 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
I picked this book up, somehow thinking the author was a woman. I am glad for the mistake though because I loved it from the beginning till the end. Oftentimes I found myself nodding and thinking of similar experiences. In the prologue, he suggests readers to contemplate after each chapter, rather than skimming through the book. What a great advice. That way, more of his teachings and ideas remained afterwards. Based on the title of the book, I was expecting something banal like “stop doing what ...more
Eileen
This is something that I like to listen to (a chapter each time) before I go to bed. I will probably keep it on my phone to listen to fairly regularly. It helps me slow down and focus on my breathing and just receive. The reader does a pretty good job and I feel like I can drift off after listening to a chapter.
VC Gan
Mar 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What an uplifting book. TImeless wisdom and beautiful artwork.

A must-read for everyone.
Surya
May 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good, relaxing, soothing and comforting, easy to read and could be understood and related by many.
A good read indeed.
Acordul Fin
Mar 26, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020
Beautifully designed and highly quotable. Not exactly life-changing but still enjoyable.
Liza Fireman
Apr 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
Well, I am torn. I have learned to appreciate more spiritual attitudes with me growing up into a grown-up people's age. I learn to appreciate smelling the flowers, and giving time to body and soul. But I still am the same energetic, not-so-very-patient soul inside I guess, so I can't turn 180 degrees from where I started and still have some very hard time with very very spiritual books or methods.

So for example I liked this paragraph:
We know the world only through the window of our mind.
When our
Rico Veerkamp
Oct 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book for when you need to take a short brake from everything that's happening in your life. It's filled with mindfulness and positive thoughts. This book can be the thread you hold on to when life feels unstable. It's not a book you should read like a regular book. Pick it up when you feel the need and like the title says, take your time.
Petar Ivanov
Nov 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Amazing book with so much wisdom from the East. All the quotes and essays hide a lot of food for thought which thrilled and made me think a lot. It helped me to additionally improve and boost my new thinking about the universe and life.

• Bạn đắt giá bao nhiêu?
  • Filosofi Teras
  • I Want To Die but I Want To Eat Tteokpokki 2
  • Đừng Lựa Chọn An Nhàn Khi Còn Trẻ
  • Hawai'i: Eight Hundred Years of Political and Economic Change (Markets and Governments in Economic History)
  • Khí chất bao nhiêu, Hạnh phúc bấy nhiêu
  • Trưởng thành sau ngàn lần tranh đấu
  • Con đường Hồi giáo
  • Mình Nói Gì Khi Nói Về Hạnh Phúc
  • Zen: The Art of Simple Living
  • Những Giấc Mơ Ở Hiệu Sách Morisaki
  • Ikigai: Los secretos de Japón para una vida larga y feliz
  • The Courage to Be Disliked: How to Free Yourself, Change your Life and Achieve Real Happiness
  • Future Fit: How to Stay Relevant and Competitive in the Future of Work
  • Tuổi Trẻ Đáng Giá Bao Nhiêu
  • Gieo Trồng Hạnh Phúc
  • Ikigai: The Japanese Secret to a Long and Happy Life, The Little Book of Lykke, Lagom: The Swedish Art of Balanced Living
  • 나는 나로 살기로 했다 (겨울 스페셜 에디션)
Zen Buddhist teacher, bestselling author & founder of the School for Broken Hearts in Seoul.

Born in South Korea and educated at Berkeley, Harvard, and Princeton, he received formal monastic training from Haein monastery, South Korea and taught Asian religions at Hampshire College in Massachusetts for seven years.

He is one of the most influential Zen monks in the world, with over 1.5 million follow

News & Interviews

“When people who don't know you well admire you, they are seeing their projected illusion, not your real self.
In contrast, when people who know you well respect you, it is probably because you deserve it.”
47 likes
“Some say they don’t really know what they are looking for in life. This might be because, instead of getting in touch with how they feel, they have led their lives according to other people’s expectations. Live your life not to satisfy others, but to fulfill what your heart desires.” 40 likes