Start by marking “Never Glue Your Friends to Chairs (Roscoe Riley Rules, #1)” as Want to Read:
Never Glue Your Friends to Chairs (Roscoe Riley Rules, #1)

Never Glue Your Friends to Chairs

(Roscoe Riley Rules #1)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  2,536 ratings  ·  205 reviews
Roscoe Riley doesn't mean to break the rules--he just can't help himself. Making his hilarious debut in this brand-new chapter book series, this irrepressible first grader is sure to have young readers eager to find out which rule he'll accidentally break next. Illustrations. If the kids can't sit still for the class performance, Roscoe's teacher could be in big trouble. F ...more
Published May 27th 2008 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about Never Glue Your Friends to Chairs, please sign up.
Colleen I read it with 2nd graders as a Lit. Circle book. They loved it.

Matt
Sep 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Matt by: Misty Mount
In our first Roscoe Riley chapter book, Neo and I met this little kid who seems to love first grade. While trying to help his new teacher, he brings along some supplies for the art cupboard, including the Super-Mega-Gonzo glue, which he aptly calls the don’t-you-dare glue. In preparation for the class open house, Roscoe realises that his teacher, Ms. Diz, is in trouble when their presentation seems sub-par. He wants to ensure everyone sits and pays close attention, dabbing some of the aforementi ...more
Karina
Jul 16, 2018 rated it it was ok
Very short. Very cute. Roscoe is a first grader that has good intentions but is always getting into trouble. Common sense goes over his head. If he was my kid he would totally annoy me.
My 8 yr old read this in a day so it might be too easy for this age group. Older Katherine Applegate book series.
Misty Mount
Jun 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-little-guy
A funny tale that made me and my son laugh out loud! 😂😂😂 We will be continuing the series right away!
Chris
Jan 27, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: j, humor, life, not-graphic
Wonderfully understated, dry sense of humor. I was smiling the whole time I read it and often laughed out loud. A Junie B. for boys.

The junk drawer is one of my favorite off-limits places.
It's like a pirate treasure chest.
Only with no rubies.
I opened the drawer.
I looked inside.
Wow, I thought. This drawer is full of cool stuff!
And that's when all my trouble started.
_____

The junk drawer always has wonderful things in it.
Keys. Puzzle pieces. Paper clips. The head from one of Hazel's dolls.
I was pla
Smitha
Sep 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Kids of 7-12 and of course, their moms and dads.
Recommended to Smitha by: Gehna
A cute adorable tale of what happens when Rascally Roscoe takes super glue to school to help out his favorite teacher
Siddharth Chakravarthy
Feb 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It was so adorable when Roscoe stood up for Ms.Diz. He might be silly at times but he is truly an empathetic and a cute kiddo.
Christie
Oct 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, new-readers
Mischievous boy telling a story about why he's in time out. Very funny and relatable.
Tamera Fleming
Dec 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: book-summaries
1) Book summary: Roscoe Riley never actually tries to cause trouble for anyone but he can't help himself. There is a big performance at his school coming up for the parents and he want to do great. One day his teacher ran out glue to finish the customs and he thought he could just bring his mother to school to help his teacher. Riley thought the students would give the teacher a bad impression if they couldn't stay in their seats. At the end of the story the readers find out how strong the glue ...more
Terry
Roscoe Riley has a lot to say, and since he's sitting in Time-Out, he has plenty of time to say it! So here's his story. His teacher needed more glue sticks, and Roscoe decided that since all kinds of things get broken in school, maybe he should take Mom's Super-Mega-Gonzo glue, too. Sure enough, as everyone is getting ready for the big class performance, that Super-Mega-Gonzo glue came in handy. Roscoe wanted to make sure his class had a perfect recital and help Ms. Diz (his teacher) keep her j ...more
Beth G.
Kids have to follow so many rules!
Sometimes my brain forgets to remember them all.
It's not like I
try to find ways to get into trouble. It's just that trouble has a way of finding me.

In this first book in a series, Roscoe Riley, a first-grader with "high spirits", welcomes us to his Official Time-Out Corner to hear the story of exactly what put him there this time. He was really just trying to help his teacher. Who knew it was a bad idea to glue things to people with the Super-Mega-Gonzo Glue?

Th
Ubalstecha
Roscoe is supposed to bring craft supplies for his class. In doing so, he manages to get a hold of his mother's super strong glue, the "Don't You Dare Glue". And bringing this to school leads to chaos and bad choices.

This is a very cute early chapter book. Parents will love the author's sense of humour. There are illustrations every few pages to also keep the young reader's interest and to help with comprehension. But parents and teachers may hesitate to expose the young people in their lives t
Corinna
Apr 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I read to my boys every night, but don't usually leave reviews for the kids books on GR. However, I have to leave one for this book and the other Roscoe Riley book we have read. These books crack my sons up, theu just love them. They are good chapter books for boys (and girls) that are early readers. The stories are hilarious. At our recent book fair at school, I bought this book for my sons classroom. The teacher read it to the class and she said they all loved it! We can't wait to read the res ...more
Kris Patrick
Oct 26, 2013 rated it liked it
Cute! A second grade girl asked that I order these, and I'm glad I did. This year one of my projects is to read more chapter books for kids in grades 1 & 2 since this is what they so desperately want to read even if they aren't ready. Kathleen T. Horning (Author of From Cover to Cover) calls these transitional books.
Lori
Aug 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: early-chapter
Funny. Charming. Likable, well intentioned main character. Even though he mispronounces a few words that didn't seem true to first graders (which I teach), it was without the disrespect and bad grammar that drives me crazy in Junie B Jones. Cartoon illustrations by Brian Biggs will add to the pleasure for reluctant readers. A fun series!
Carrie
Sep 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Carrie by: Willow
What a cute and funny little read. A great early reader chapter book.
Aaron
Jan 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very funny story, well told. Loaded with pranks and asides.
Laura Komos
Jan 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
I loved reading this one aloud to my first graders! Seeing some of their eyes light up with Roscoe's antics makes me believe they'll be asking to read more of Roscoe's books.
Chris Thompson
Jun 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is an amusing, sometimes hilarious book aimed at young kids. The book series is aimed at a younger audience than Katherine Applegate's The One and Only Ivan, a book that had appeal to a wide age range, from kids to adults. But if you are a parent searching for a book to read with your child, you might find yourself amused by this one.

This book is all about trying to follow rules, but sometimes as a young kid it can be hard. Especially when you don't know all of the rules. I mean, nobody tel
Taylor Lubinski
Sep 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is for children ages 4-7 because it is a chapter book for the older kids but the words are big and easy to read so younger ones can recognize them as well. It is a good story of a first-grader named Roscoe who gets himself into a lot of trouble frequently. His class is putting on a show about bees for the parents and the principal is coming to see as well. Roscoe is worried that if all the students act goofy during the show his teacher will get fired so he steals some superglue from h ...more
Darla
May 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
As a mother of boys, I love books like this. They give us the opportunity to walk in the shoes of a boy and see the world through his eyes. Indeed, how would you know it is a rule not to make walrus teeth with your sticks? How frustrating to have good ideas and want to implement them only to find out you have broken yet another rule set in place by grownups.

I found this to be an entertaining and enlightening read. Made me miss the days when my boys were this age. Would make an excellent classro
Ivy Desjardin
Jul 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: twins-read-aloud
My kids (age 5) are starting to listen to chapter books. They each pick a book and I read a chapter at night. This was mom's pick and once I started- we read it in 2 sittings. They didn't want to stop.
I first read it to myself as a read aloud for students at school but knew quickly my twins would love it. So glad I picked it up as the library.
They thought it was hilarious and we could talk about unspoken rules/ making good choices. Can't wait to continue the series.
Nikki Amber
Jun 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this a few times. It was really cute. I listened to it as well as read it. There was not much difference either way, read or listened to, except it saves the eyes from reading, or saves the ears from listening. Overall a great experience either way. It gets read or listened to often, and also shared with others.
Jessica
Feb 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very cute and an easy read. Because it is told by a rather mischievous child, it does make the things he does seem like no big deal, which may be a concern for some parents. But, the book is cute and was perfect for my higher level reading first grader. We also read it as a family, and my 3rd grader found it funny as well.
Misty
Oct 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The cutest little chapter book about a very mischievous first grade boy who always seems
to find trouble even though he has the best of intentions. I happen to have one of those in my home and he LOVES this series so far-having so much fun reading it together!
Anne Meester
Nov 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Either this is perfect for first grade boys...or they should definitely NOT read it! I loved it. Never glue your friends to chairs...especially not now that you've been given that perfectly logical (by first grade boy standards) idea.
Kristy
Feb 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Funny, perfectly age appropriate for K-2 in tone, language and humor.

Roscoe Riley is one of those kids who can't help getting in trouble because his curiosity gets the best of him. But his heart is in the right place...i.e. he's not a little jerk who's going to drive parents crazy.

Mary Thomas
Jan 29, 2018 rated it liked it
I'm a big fan of Katherine Applegate these days (Animorphs, Ivan, Wishtree, Home of the Brave), so I was eager to try this one with my first grade son. Eh. It was okay. It did make my son laugh out loud at points, so that was good! I'm not sure if we'll read any more of them or not.
Melissa
Aug 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Roscoe is such a rascal! He is that nightmare kids that makes you laugh when you really should be moving out of the house instead. I just put the rest of the books in the series on hold because I can't wait to read them!
Robyn Arheghan
This book is cute and humorous. Roscoe is a funny, mischievous little guy. RRR provides lots of laughs, but it is probably not the best example if one would like to introduce their little ones to examples of excellent writing and sentence structure or expanded vocabulary. Fun read though.
Sheri S.
This book definitely kept the kids entertained! It was kind of a fun book about a kid who is a bit of a troublemaker. He finds an ingenious way of keeping things from falling apart. I'd consider listening to the next book in the series if I can find an audio version.
  • Captain Awesome to the Rescue!
  • Frankie Pickle and the Closet of Doom (Frankie Pickle, #1)
  • The Dunderheads
  • Princess Posey and the First Grade Parade (Princess Posey, #1)
  • Super Burp! (George Brown, Class Clown, #1)
  • Allergic to Camping, Hiking, and Other Natural Disasters (Alvin Ho, #2)
  • Leroy Ninker Saddles Up (Tales from Deckawoo Drive, #1)
  • Stink and the Great Guinea Pig Express (Stink, #4)
  • Keena Ford and the Second Grade Mix Up
  • The Curse of the Bologna Sandwich (Melvin Beederman Superhero, #1)
  • Marty McGuire Digs Worms!  (Marty McGuire #2)
  • How Oliver Olson Changed the World
  • Lulu and the Brontosaurus
  • The Adventures of Sir Gawain the True (Knights' Tales, #3)
  • Smarter than Squirrels (Down Girl and Sit)
  • Dory Fantasmagory
  • Hello, Nebulon! (Galaxy Zack, #1)
  • The Legend of Diamond Lil (J.J. Tully Mystery #2)
Katherine Applegate is the author of The One and Only Ivan, winner of the 2013 Newbery Medal. Her novel Crenshaw spent over twenty weeks on the New York Times children's bestseller list, and her first middle-grade stand-alone novel, the award-winning Home of the Brave, continues to be included on state reading lists, summer reading lists, and class reading lists.

Katherine has written three picture

Roscoe Riley Rules (7 books)
  • Never Swipe a Bully's Bear (Roscoe Riley Rules, #2)
  • Don't Swap Your Sweater for a Dog (Roscoe Riley Rules, #3)
  • Never Swim in Applesauce (Roscoe Riley Rules, #4)
  • Don't Tap-Dance on Your Teacher (Roscoe Riley Rules, #5)
  • Never Walk in Shoes That Talk (Roscoe Riley Rules, #6)
  • Never Race a Runaway Pumpkin (Roscoe Riley Rules, #7)
“My favorite color is rainbow.” 13 likes