Start by marking “Never Glue Your Friends to Chairs (Roscoe Riley Rules, #1)” as Want to Read:
Never Glue Your Friends to Chairs (Roscoe Riley Rules, #1)

Never Glue Your Friends to Chairs

(Roscoe Riley Rules #1)

Roscoe Riley doesn't mean to break the rules--he just can't help himself. Making his hilarious debut in this brand-new chapter book series, this irrepressible first grader is sure to have young readers eager to find out which rule he'll accidentally break next. Illustrations. If the kids can't sit still for the class performance, Roscoe's teacher could be in big trouble. F ...more
Published May 27th 2008 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about Never Glue Your Friends to Chairs, please sign up.
Colleen Chi-Girl I read it with 2nd graders as a Lit. Circle book. They loved it.

Start your review of Never Glue Your Friends to Chairs (Roscoe Riley Rules, #1)
Matt
Sep 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Matt by: Misty Mount
In our first Roscoe Riley chapter book, Neo and I met this little kid who seems to love first grade. While trying to help his new teacher, he brings along some supplies for the art cupboard, including the Super-Mega-Gonzo glue, which he aptly calls the don’t-you-dare glue. In preparation for the class open house, Roscoe realises that his teacher, Ms. Diz, is in trouble when their presentation seems sub-par. He wants to ensure everyone sits and pays close attention, dabbing some of the aforementi ...more
Karina
Jul 16, 2018 rated it it was ok
Very short. Very cute. Roscoe is a first grader that has good intentions but is always getting into trouble. Common sense goes over his head. If he was my kid he would totally annoy me.
My 8 yr old read this in a day so it might be too easy for this age group. Older Katherine Applegate book series.
Misty Mount
Jun 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-little-guy
A funny tale that made me and my son laugh out loud! 😂😂😂 We will be continuing the series right away!
Chris
Jan 27, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: life, j, not-graphic, humor
Wonderfully understated, dry sense of humor. I was smiling the whole time I read it and often laughed out loud. A Junie B. for boys.

The junk drawer is one of my favorite off-limits places.
It's like a pirate treasure chest.
Only with no rubies.
I opened the drawer.
I looked inside.
Wow, I thought. This drawer is full of cool stuff!
And that's when all my trouble started.
_____

The junk drawer always has wonderful things in it.
Keys. Puzzle pieces. Paper clips. The head from one of Hazel's dolls.
I was pla
Em*bedded-in-books*
Sep 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Kids of 7-12 and of course, their moms and dads.
Recommended to Em*bedded-in-books* by: Jarvis
A cute adorable tale of what happens when Rascally Roscoe takes super glue to school to help out his favorite teacher
Bookish Devil
Feb 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It was so adorable when Roscoe stood up for Ms.Diz. He might be silly at times but he is truly an empathetic and a cute kiddo.
The Reading Countess
Oh, Katherine Applegate.
You are my hero.
You consider your audience, your main character and you write with voice like no other.
Your books are all unique, each one 180 degrees opposite from the last one written.
That’s because this newest one about pesky Roscoe is for the younger crowd, the just-getting-into-chapter-book reading kids. It’s for fans of Horrible Harry or Lulu who expect to laugh audibly about the impossible predicaments a kid can put himself in when there’s no sensor on his thou
Christie
Oct 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: new-readers, 2018
Mischievous boy telling a story about why he's in time out. Very funny and relatable.
Corban
Jan 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
I liked it when Roscoe saved the teacher by jumping in front of her to save her from getting splattered by the pie.

This book was funny and cool.
Tamera Fleming
Dec 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: book-summaries
1) Book summary: Roscoe Riley never actually tries to cause trouble for anyone but he can't help himself. There is a big performance at his school coming up for the parents and he want to do great. One day his teacher ran out glue to finish the customs and he thought he could just bring his mother to school to help his teacher. Riley thought the students would give the teacher a bad impression if they couldn't stay in their seats. At the end of the story the readers find out how strong the glue ...more
Beth G.
Kids have to follow so many rules!
Sometimes my brain forgets to remember them all.
It's not like I
try to find ways to get into trouble. It's just that trouble has a way of finding me.

In this first book in a series, Roscoe Riley, a first-grader with "high spirits", welcomes us to his Official Time-Out Corner to hear the story of exactly what put him there this time. He was really just trying to help his teacher. Who knew it was a bad idea to glue things to people with the Super-Mega-Gonzo Glue?

Th
Ubalstecha
Roscoe is supposed to bring craft supplies for his class. In doing so, he manages to get a hold of his mother's super strong glue, the "Don't You Dare Glue". And bringing this to school leads to chaos and bad choices.

This is a very cute early chapter book. Parents will love the author's sense of humour. There are illustrations every few pages to also keep the young reader's interest and to help with comprehension. But parents and teachers may hesitate to expose the young people in their lives t
Terry
This is the book that launches the adventure series of Roscoe Riley, a first-grader whose life is full of humor and mischief. The author has captured the personality, style, and view of the life of your typical first-grade child. Roscoe's dialogue and logic suggest she is a wizened teacher or mom. You'll laugh all the way through.

To read our full review, go to This is a great book ... and we can't wait to read the next title..
Corinna
Apr 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I read to my boys every night, but don't usually leave reviews for the kids books on GR. However, I have to leave one for this book and the other Roscoe Riley book we have read. These books crack my sons up, theu just love them. They are good chapter books for boys (and girls) that are early readers. The stories are hilarious. At our recent book fair at school, I bought this book for my sons classroom. The teacher read it to the class and she said they all loved it! We can't wait to read the res ...more
Lori
Aug 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: early-chapter
Funny. Charming. Likable, well intentioned main character. Even though he mispronounces a few words that didn't seem true to first graders (which I teach), it was without the disrespect and bad grammar that drives me crazy in Junie B Jones. Cartoon illustrations by Brian Biggs will add to the pleasure for reluctant readers. A fun series!
Kris Patrick
Oct 26, 2013 rated it liked it
Cute! A second grade girl asked that I order these, and I'm glad I did. This year one of my projects is to read more chapter books for kids in grades 1 & 2 since this is what they so desperately want to read even if they aren't ready. Kathleen T. Horning (Author of From Cover to Cover) calls these transitional books. ...more
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
Feb 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
It is possible to be funny and not annoying...Applegate hits the right note of humor with Roscoe Riley Rules #1. This was a fun read.
Laura Komos
Jan 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
I loved reading this one aloud to my first graders! Seeing some of their eyes light up with Roscoe's antics makes me believe they'll be asking to read more of Roscoe's books.
Carrie
Sep 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Carrie by: Willow
What a cute and funny little read. A great early reader chapter book.
Aaron
Jan 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very funny story, well told. Loaded with pranks and asides.
Chris Thompson
Jun 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is an amusing, sometimes hilarious book aimed at young kids. The book series is aimed at a younger audience than Katherine Applegate's The One and Only Ivan, a book that had appeal to a wide age range, from kids to adults. But if you are a parent searching for a book to read with your child, you might find yourself amused by this one.

This book is all about trying to follow rules, but sometimes as a young kid it can be hard. Especially when you don't know all of the rules. I mean, nobody tel
Taylor Lubinski
Sep 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is for children ages 4-7 because it is a chapter book for the older kids but the words are big and easy to read so younger ones can recognize them as well. It is a good story of a first-grader named Roscoe who gets himself into a lot of trouble frequently. His class is putting on a show about bees for the parents and the principal is coming to see as well. Roscoe is worried that if all the students act goofy during the show his teacher will get fired so he steals some superglue from h ...more
Ann
Jun 17, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: young-adult
I read this as part of my quest to read everything by Katherine Applegate....and I found myself in unfamiliar territory. This book is part of that in-between genre that is a chapter book meant for the 1st and 2nd grade reader. I finished it in about thirty minutes.

For the advanced first grade student looking for her first chapter book, this was reasonably entertaining....nothing great. I was a little disappointed, though, because I've come to expect incredible books from Katherine Applegate. Als
Jessica
Feb 12, 2019 rated it liked it
I am review children's books in a series. Well, I love Katherine Applegate's older kids book. I think 1 and 2nd graders would like this series to because of the kid humor. The friendships and mom/dad in this book are great.

After using glue; the don't you dare glue:

(Pg 68) My bobbles are stuck!"Coco screamed.
Everybody looked at me.
Their faces were kind of surprised.
Then mad.
Then really mad.
It seemed like maybe a good time for me to go to the bathroom.
But when I tried to get up, my chair came wi
I really feel for Roscoe. Things may get out of control, but everything he does it with the best of intentions. He is a cute little character that just wanted to make his teacher happy and prevent her from getting so stressed that she leaves. He is just like any other little kid, they try to help, but my not fully grasp the consequences of what they are doing.

Part of me wonders how many little kids read this book and then decide to see for themselves what happens if they put glue on chairs. Hop
Darla
May 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
As a mother of boys, I love books like this. They give us the opportunity to walk in the shoes of a boy and see the world through his eyes. Indeed, how would you know it is a rule not to make walrus teeth with your sticks? How frustrating to have good ideas and want to implement them only to find out you have broken yet another rule set in place by grownups.

I found this to be an entertaining and enlightening read. Made me miss the days when my boys were this age. Would make an excellent classro
Ivy Desjardin
Jul 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: twins-read-aloud
My kids (age 5) are starting to listen to chapter books. They each pick a book and I read a chapter at night. This was mom's pick and once I started- we read it in 2 sittings. They didn't want to stop.
I first read it to myself as a read aloud for students at school but knew quickly my twins would love it. So glad I picked it up as the library.
They thought it was hilarious and we could talk about unspoken rules/ making good choices. Can't wait to continue the series.
Emma
Dec 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2019
Roscoe Riley Rules #1 and #2 are short funny stories about a young boy getting constantly into trouble, although he means well and has always great reasons. This 7 book series is not as deep as the two novels I have read by her. However, they are funny and do have nice life lessons. Set in the context of trouble in class, they remind me a lot of the French classics Le Petit Nicolas, by René Goscinny, though they are shorter and for younger kids.
Jessica
Feb 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very cute and an easy read. Because it is told by a rather mischievous child, it does make the things he does seem like no big deal, which may be a concern for some parents. But, the book is cute and was perfect for my higher level reading first grader. We also read it as a family, and my 3rd grader found it funny as well.
Nikki
Jun 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this a few times. It was really cute. I listened to it as well as read it. There was not much difference either way, read or listened to, except it saves the eyes from reading, or saves the ears from listening. Overall a great experience either way. It gets read or listened to often, and also shared with others.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• The Bad Guys: Episode 7: Do-You-Think-He-Saurus?!
  • Miss Daisy Is Crazy! (My Weird School, #1)
  • Let's Get Cracking! (Kung Pow Chicken #1)
  • Heidi Heckelbeck and the Snoopy Spy
  • Heidi Heckelbeck Is Not a Thief!
  • Heidi Heckelbeck Goes to Camp!
  • Heidi Heckelbeck and the Christmas Surprise
  • Heidi Heckelbeck Says "Cheese!"
  • The Bad Guys: Episode 6: Alien vs Bad Guys
  • Heidi Heckelbeck Makes a Wish: Super Special!
  • The Mystery of the Stolen Diamonds (Cam Jansen Mysteries, #1)
  • Mr. Klutz Is Nuts! (My Weird School, #2)
  • Saving the Whole Wide World (Hilo, #2)
  • Heidi Heckelbeck Might Be Afraid of the Dark
  • The Bad Guys: Episode 8: Superbad
  • Ricky Ricotta Y El Poderoso Robot (Ricky Ricotta, #1)
  • A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to School...
  • Mr. Hynde Is Out of His Mind! (My Weird School, #6)
Katherine Applegate is the author of The One and Only Ivan, winner of the 2013 Newbery Medal. Her novel Crenshaw spent over twenty weeks on the New York Times children's bestseller list, and her first middle-grade stand-alone novel, the award-winning Home of the Brave, continues to be included on state reading lists, summer reading lists, and class reading lists.

Katherine has written three picture

Roscoe Riley Rules (7 books)
  • Never Swipe a Bully's Bear (Roscoe Riley Rules, #2)
  • Don't Swap Your Sweater for a Dog (Roscoe Riley Rules, #3)
  • Never Swim in Applesauce (Roscoe Riley Rules, #4)
  • Don't Tap-Dance on Your Teacher (Roscoe Riley Rules, #5)
  • Never Walk in Shoes That Talk (Roscoe Riley Rules, #6)
  • Never Race a Runaway Pumpkin (Roscoe Riley Rules, #7)