Start by marking “Ergon” as Want to Read:
Ergon

Ergon

George Singer's ERGON is precise, delicate and fierce in its engagement with the world.
Published June 18th 2016 by Wordtech Communications LLC

To ask other readers questions about Ergon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ergon

Anna
Oct 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
George HS Singer’s poetry collection, Ergon, is impressive in its use of language. Singer does a great job painting portraits of various people and bringing to life glimpses of the ordinary through his poems.

I knew the poetry within these pages would be profound as soon as I saw that the collection opened with the definition of “ergon” according to Aristotle: “The core function or purpose of something or someone. Virtue arises when the ergon is realized fully.” Right away I new these would be po
Eva Lucia
Sep 19, 2016 rated it liked it
Also posted on Eva Lucias blog

Read an interview with George HS Singer

Thanks to Poetic Book Tours!

”Ergon” by George HS Singer represents the new category of modern poetry along with poets like Anne Carson, Meira Cook and Rebecca Foust. There is no doubt that George HS Singer’s poetry is intelligent, filled with extra poetic layers and at the same time, it shows diversity and takes up different themes and subjects which are relevant today.

I really liked the idea of Ergon being the heart of creati
Michelle Miller (True Book Addict)
Ergon is a book of poems about a man looking back on, and going through, life. There are some very deep, meaningful poems in this collection. I found myself getting lost among the words and imagery as I read. There are so many wonderful poems here, but I found this one to be my favorite, as it speaks of the sacrifices parents make, and the great love and protectiveness they feel, for their children. As a mom, I can relate.

World Without End

While she lingered at the handsome
neighbor's house, mothe
Molly
Jun 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
With dignity and that slight irreverence that convinces you he's telling the truth, George Singer creates his rich, lucid poems about the core of our human condition, our Ergon. Moving, surprising, erotic and profound, Singer's poems take us around the world and through personal history—from the unexpected humor of daily life inside a Buddhist temple to the terrible inverted logic of a sanitarium for the insane, or from a sexual spark in a long marriage, to eons of geological time. Ergon marks t ...more
Serena
Jul 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Ergon by George HS Singer is a collection that will push readers to think about their lives, their place in it, and those who have influenced them. Those who have inspired us, and those we have feared — all have left their indelible mark.

Read the full review: http://savvyverseandwit.com/2016/08/e...
Martha
Oct 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a thought provoking collection of life reflections. My Rating 4.25.

Mr. Singer shares a wide range of life feelings in his varied topics: nature (birds, deer, tides, the beach and stars), childhood and coming of age, childbirth, family madness (mental illness), loving, aging and growing old together.

I have to admit that I received this book with certain expectations. Mr. Singer was a former Zen Monk and I was curious to see how that would be reflected in his writing. In my naiveté (rather
Estrella
Sep 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: estrella-azul-s
My copy of the book arrived in the week before I left for holiday, and given it’s 86 pages long, I decided to take it with me. I’ve taken novels on holiday with me before and then after arriving home felt all sorts of bad about not having enough time to read more than a couple of chapters.
Well, Ergon was the perfect holiday read!

The book is composed of four parts: Visiting, Ergon, Our Quotidian and Immensity. They, in George’s own words, cover the themes of:

“The beauty, humor, and difficulty of
Mia
Sep 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Singer is an absolute genius at incorporating nature and natural imagery into his poems. The phrasing and the tone and the pace of his words were just perfect to me. I also enjoyed his sense of humor, especially in some of the poems about his wife and married life.

One of my favorite poems from the book is "Reprieve" where Singer writes:

"Sometimes
mercy resides in the way things vanish,
and grace in not being visited."

In the poem he is referencing his father, but the sentiment speaks to me on a m
Dwilliamjackson