Start by marking “The Vision of Escaflowne, Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
The Vision of Escaflowne, Vol. 1

The Vision of Escaflowne, Vol. 1 (The Vision of Escaflowne)

3.4  ·  Rating details ·  491 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
Hitomi Hoshino, a 16-year-old high schooler with an interest in mysticism, experiences strange dreams at night. A mysterious temple, a tremendous jewel, a shadowy prince - the images trouble her, and a strange incantation keeps echoing in her mind. During a simple fortune-telling one day Hitomi feels a magical pull, and in a shocking moment the dream incantation drags her ...more
Published May 15th 2004 by Tokyopop (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Vision of Escaflowne, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Vision of Escaflowne, Vol. 1

Black Bird, Vol. 01 by Kanoko SakurakoujiVampire Knight, Vol. 1 by Matsuri HinoFruits Basket, Vol. 1 by Natsuki TakayaOh My Goddess!, Volume 1 by Kosuke FujishimaOne Piece, Volume 01 by Eiichirō Oda
Worst Manga
119 books — 72 voters
Fifty Shades of Grey by E.L. JamesThe Twilight Saga by Stephenie MeyerBreaking Dawn by Stephenie MeyerThe Da Vinci Code by Dan BrownConfessions of a Shopaholic by Sophie Kinsella
Absolute Trash
26 books — 12 voters

More lists with this book...

Kogiopsis
Jun 12, 2011 rated it did not like it
I am somewhat certain that this series - or perhaps the anime it is based on - is famous. Well, probably, at least, since I recognize the name and I'm not exactly the most knowledgeable of manga readers.

If it is, I have a simple question.

Why?

The basic plot is mundane, made distinct only by the sheer stupidity of it. Ordinary girl is magically summoned to a planet where war is waged with giant robots.
Fuck.
I should have stayed away the moment I spotted the mecha on the cover.
Once there she meets t
manda
Dec 10, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fantasy, manga-anime
blog | goodreads

So take this with a grain of salt because my opinion is greeeaaatly tainted by the movie (which I had just recently watched), and so this is more a review of the animated film than the manga. I read the (Indonesian) translated manga years ago, and was not into the artistic style at all , so I never continued the series. I watched the movie because I was curious about the plot.

BAD IDEA.

The movie is utter and complete SHIT.

Okay, so I watched the dubbed version, and the original mi
Chrissi-chan
Nov 09, 2009 rated it did not like it
Shelves: manga
"The Vision of absolute, disastrous, terrible, dire and hideous rubbish" is more like it ¬__¬

This is.. an appalling manga. The artwork is horrible in every sense of the word - messy, with far too many lines, completely impossible to dicern at times (gundams + rocks in this artstyle = no comprehension of where anything is ¬__¬) - the character designs are vulgar and the characters themselves aren't much better. Hitomi should die, Allen Schezar should die, Dilandau should die, in fact, the only c
Selena
Oh God, where to start?

If you enjoyed the anime series or the movie, STAY AWAY! In fact, just stay away in general. Compared to the beauty of art, story, and characters of the anime and movie, this manga is full of fail.

Vaan's been reduced to an ass that has an obsession with his height (or lack there of). Hitomi's been transformed to a mousy girl who's only purpose is to get naked, go blond and busty, and power a robot.

In fact, except for the robot, nothing about this Vision of Escaflowne resem
Kristin Fletcher-spear
Jun 20, 2009 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Manga fans
Not really like the anime. Not only are the character designs off putting, but there's none of that lovely Yoko Kanno music.
Leila Anani
I really can't understand the hate for this - I really liked it, although I am unfamiliar with the anime which I hear is a completely different entity - Unusually, the anime came first and this manga is based on the concept to expand the themes and universe but explore different ways it could have gone - a very bold move and clearly upsetting a lot of fans judging by all the 1 star reviews!

So we have a 16 year old high school girl transported to a historical world with various warring kingdoms -
intrepideddie
Jul 23, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: manga
I was looking forward to a good mecha manga when I got this book, and I was sorely, sorely disappointed. There's mecha in it and they do look cool, but the book as a whole was awful.

The artwork was average (at best) and the story could have been pretty good, but the Prince Van character made me want to gouge out my eyes. I understand that his character is supposed to be a whiny, hot-headed, self-centered punk, but they take it waaaaay too far. Almost every single page is filled with his juvenile
inaword
Jan 05, 2013 rated it did not like it
Maybe I would have liked this more if I had never seen the anime this manga was based on. But I've been a fan of the anime for years and if the rest of the manga series is like this first volume than it does not even come close to how good the anime is.

The art is definitely not the best, the characters are barely recognizable (both in design and personality), and the story is very confusing and hard to follow.

I don't think this manga is supposed to be a direct adaptation of the anime series (it
Misa Niranon
Oct 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Off topic from this series but I'm currently just letting my autoplay on Youtube just go through JackSepticeye videos until I've seen an old one. Wow. We're starting to get back there. We're now in 2015 and Sean doesn't have green hair. HAHAHA. Whoa. Baby.

Okay, I read the before thing in the manga and it read that this version was going to be a lot different from another version as well as the anime. I kind of remember the anime just a bit but I didn't get too far in it. The characters are sort
Rachel
Steph
May 16, 2012 rated it liked it
I think the only good thing I can say about this was that it's different. Unfortunately, it's too different from the show for my liking; even though that was the intention. I didn't like how Van was portrayed, Allen was pretty much the same, and Hitomi was too whiny and I didn't like the artwork for her. I'm still unsure whether I'll pick up the second one, the storyline intrigued me enough that I would look past the character flaws.
Fernando Morales
Nov 26, 2012 rated it did not like it
The anime is just so much better than the books. It kinda funny cause it's one of those situation are reversed where they took a POC manga, and made a successful anime out of it. Infact I can read this books and be like...wait...wait...how did you get that from THIS?
-----

I been watching the anime again after a few years I had to come back and give this a one star review. This is such crap...if good reads had a negative star I would have given it to this.
Heather
Feb 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
This has some of the great characters we love: Hitomi, Alan, Van and some new characters we never met in the tv series. The art is full of action and keeps you turning the pages. We get the magic of Escaflowne and the threat of war from Zaibach. I enjoyed it. (Tokyo Pop rated this OT: older teen 16+)
Isa
Jul 10, 2010 rated it did not like it
I really liked the anime, but the manga looks too cluttered - perhaps I just can't stand the fight scenes, particularly when I can't follow what's going on exactly, who fights who etc. The overall mood of the anime (or of the movie) did not transfer to this take of the Escaflowne story, which I had hoped for.
Kyle
Oct 14, 2013 rated it it was ok
Another sad example why anime to manga adaptations are in general a poor idea. Very rarely will you find a case of an anime being turned into a manga with success. Sadly this is an illustration of another failed attempt. While it may find a better reception among those who never have seen the original content of the anime, I still in good conscience can not recommend it.
Mackenzie
I can't say I'm all that fond of any of the characters thus far, but I love mysticism and medieval settings and wars and the like so I'm excited to see where this goes. The characters have time to grow.
I have not seen the anime yet, and reading through the other reviews on here, I think I'll hold off on that until I've finished the manga series.
Megan Ridl
Sep 22, 2010 rated it did not like it
I chose to read this because I love the anime series. However, this manga bears absolutely no resemblance to the anime what-so-ever. The story is rushed and not fully explained. I couldn't bring myself to read past book 2. Just... don't.
Jay
I picked this up with a fairly open mind and I wasn't disappointed. I only regret not picking it up sooner considering it near enough ticks all my boxes!

I look forward to reading the next volume...
Chelsy
Oct 16, 2011 rated it it was ok
Well, it's hard to say what I thought about this book. I couldn't help but picture the anime series, which I really loved. It was okay, I guess, I mean...I would read it again, just not any time soon.
Alexa
Feb 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
I am quite torn about reviewing this one because I love the anime and while the manga isn't as good, I can't just give it a lower rating. It's Escaflowne! I just can't.

This is one of the few instances in which I'd recommend not reading the manga but watching the anime instead.
Rachel (Sfogs)
Feb 11, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: library
Good book
Kate
Sep 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I didn't read the magna. However i watched the the anime and it was really good. I'm scared or nervous what the magna is like... Is it bad the magna?
Pepper
Feb 24, 2012 rated it liked it
i love escaflowne. i wish i can rewatch the anime ><
Melumebelle
Aug 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
WOOOOOOT.
Galion Public Library Teens
Feb 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013
A.J. thought it was "good" and recommends the book to "anyone."
-FROZEN-
Feb 03, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: manga
Not good. Nothing like the anime.
Zeara
Jan 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
A very interesting story that quickly caught my attention. A little hard to follow at times I found ,but overall worth reading.
Robin
Jan 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Amazing story!
Mary
Sep 07, 2012 rated it it was ok
Escaflowne is my favorite anime series. I wanted to love this manga adaptation. The English translation is poor in my opinion. One of the reasons I had a difficult time enjoying it, actually.
Pam Bendicion
Aug 07, 2012 rated it it was ok
the climax is not really good. -_-
  • Starcraft: Ghost Academy, Volume 1
  • Dragon Ball, Vol. 14: Heaven and Earth (Dragon Ball, #14)
  • Der Mond: The Art of Neon Genesis Evangelion
  • The Drifting Classroom, Vol. 2 (Drifting Classroom)
  • Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Ultimate Collection, Vol. 1 (Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Ultimate Collection, #1)
  • Battle Royale Ultimate Edition Volume 2
  • Love Hina, Vol. 09
  • Biomega, Bd. 5
Katsuaki Nakamura (中村克明), pen name Katsu Aki (克・亜樹), is a Japanese manga artist best known for his works The Vision of Escaflowne, Futari Ecchi, and Psychic Academy. Mangaka Mine Yoshizaki is one of Aki's former assistants.
More about Katsu Aki...

The Vision of Escaflowne (8 books)
  • The Vision of Escaflowne, Vol. 2