Start by marking “A Trial in Venice (Midwife #3)” as Want to Read:
A Trial in Venice (Midwife #3)

A Trial in Venice

(Midwife #3)

The thrilling conclusion to the #1 national bestselling historical trilogy by Roberta Rich.

In The Midwife of Venice, set in 1575, Hannah Levi was forced to flee Venice with the baby of a Venetian aristocratic family whom she rescued. Roberta Rich followed that action-packed adventure with The Harem Midwife, which exiled Hannah and her beloved husband Isaac to Constantinopl
Published March 14th 2017 by Doubleday Canada

Keep Calm Novel On
Feb 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
A copy of the epub was provided in exchange for an honest review from NetGalley.

The conclusion of Roberta Rich’s historical trilogy once again takes the reader back to Venice. The book starts seamlessly where the second book left off. The 1580s are a challenging time for all and Hannah must endure many obstacles. A Trial in Venice is fast-paced and a true page-turner. Rich’s words transport the reader to Venice and Hannah’s world comes alive as the descriptions are magnificent. Hannah and her hu
Melissa
Mar 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I won a copy of this book through a Goodreads giveaway. Though I haven't read the two previous books of the series, the author recalls what happened in those through the book, so I knew approximately what had happened. Honestly, I discovered an author that I will follow. I loved how Roberta Rich set the characters, their surroundings, the events... I devoured the book.
Jina
Mar 18, 2017 rated it did not like it
If I could give this book zero stars, I would.
Simone
May 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Finally got out of my reader's block and finished this one ♥
Luanne Ollivier
Mar 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Midwife of Venice was Roberta Rich's debut novel. This international bestseller was followed by a second novel - The Harem Midwife. And at last the third novel - A Trial in Venice - is here!

This isn't a time period I usually read, but I was fascinated and immediately drawn in by Rich's characters, plotting and settings in the first book. And I've eagerly awaited each new book.

Rich has filled her books full of fascinating historical detail - the social mores, customs and laws of the time, rel
Wendy
Feb 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Wendy by: Goodreads Giveaways
“A Trial in Venice” which I won through Goodreads Giveaways begins five years after Hannah Levi has left Venice, prospering in Constantinople with her husband Isaac and two orphaned children. Although pregnant, on receiving an intimidating letter after her five- year- old adopted son Matteo, the heir to the di Padovani fortune is kidnapped, Hannah goes against her husband’s wishes and sets sail for Venice knowing she could be arrested and imprisoned. In the intriguing conclusion to an exciting t ...more
Katarzyna Crawford
Feb 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I have not read the former books of the trilogy, yet I find that Roberta Rich smoothly introduced the world and characters' history of A Trial in Venice, and I quickly fell in love with the book which by the way, is a very addictive read!

I like historical dramas and really enjoy reading about the complex relationships between the characters of A Trial in Venice! I definitely would like to get my hands on a copy of the first book of the trilogy and experience the whole story, from the beginning!
Barb
Feb 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I received this book from netgalley, thank you very much Netgalley and the publisher Penguin Random House Canada.
I have not read the previous two books of this trilogy, so was a bit apprehensive to start with the last book. I was very pleasantly surprised to discover I was never confused or lost, it can easily be enjoyed as a stand alone.
I was hooked right from the beginning. The characters are well developed, and the author did an excellent job of bringing 1579-1580 to life.
A real page turner.
Jean St.Amand
May 21, 2017 rated it it was ok
I read the first two books last year and enjoyed them but this one...not so much. It took me a VERY long time to get into it; probably half way through the book before I started to somewhat like it. It just seemed kind of silly. I wouldn't bother wasting time reading this book, if I were you.
Mary Johnson
Mar 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaway-wins
**I received this book through a Goodreads Giveaway**

I'd read the first book in Roberta Rich's trilogy a few years back, and I hadn't so much as seen the second one, so I was initially a bit worried that skipping ahead to the third would be confusing. But for anyone who is wondering, this title stands alone well by itself.
The descriptions in this book are incredibly vivid. The smells and sounds and sights of 16th-century Venice are easy to imagine, from the ghetto to the villas; it really is li
G. Ludlow
Jun 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A Trial in Venice is a very satisfying conclusion to Roberta Rich’s Midwife Trilogy. The villains inveigle Hannah away from her comfortable life in Constantinople and she is once again thrust into the streets of Venice. Only a shaky disguise seems to protect her from the dangers of imprisonment and execution.
Rich’s descriptive passages make the feel of the streets, the smells, the feelings, waft off the page at every turn. I felt for Hannah; her dilemmas, her dangers.
The resolution is riveti
Suzanne Montigny
Jan 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A very enthusiastic thumbs up. I found out about this novel from watching an interview on Global TV in Vancouver. I bought the first two of the series, and loved them, but I didn't get around to this one until two days ago when I came down with the flu. Well, what better way to be sick than bide your time away with a book as excellent as this one. This writing is extraordinary and so is the storytelling. I didn't have a single moment of boredom. This was an amazing story and I'm so sad to have f ...more
Linda Oleszczuk
Sep 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: book-club-reads
Finishing the story of Hannah and Isaac, the action travels back to Venice, circa 1580. No love between Jews and Christians, Hannah is facing prison to save her son. Enter Foscari and Cesca, scheming to get their hands on the fortune of heir Matteo, and the story comes to its conclusion. Some surprises keep the story moving and the reader engaged. I recommend the trilogy highly to lovers of historical fiction. Engrossing characters are this author’s specialty!
Angela
Jun 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
A great conclusion to the trilogy. The first book was my favourite but it's always nice when a series wraps up completely - and this series did. The first 1/2 of the book was slightly slow and not super engaging, but the last half, especially the trial, was quick and interesting. If you read the other books, you will enjoy this conclusion.
Anna
Jul 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book and was happy to finish the end of the trilogy. 3.5 stars. Of course the first book was the best and by the end of this one I found myself in disbelief of a few of the storylines, but highly entertaining and the history of this time period in Venice is fascinating. Well done!
Sheri
Aug 30, 2018 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book and the conclusion to this trilogy. I did prefer the previous two books in the set but liked this one as well. It took me a while to get into this one but once I was in I was hooked.
Shannon White
May 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another interesting instalment in the Midwife of Venice series. Although this book lacks literary depth, it certainly provides an entertaining light historical fiction read. It keeps you interested and readers are sure to whip right through it. Perfect for summertime.
Kathy Baker
Jul 02, 2017 rated it did not like it
Meh. The only reason I read this book was because I had read the other two books in the trilogy. It took me 3 weeks to read which for me is a long time because it just didn't hold my interest for long. I don't think I would read anymore books from the author.
Apr 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another enjoyable read that transported me to 16th century Venice. Bit heavy handed on Jews vs Christians but I loved it none the less. Recommend reading first two in trilogy first because the back story may be lost if read in isolation.
Kathleen Freeman
I really enjoy the way the author describes people, places, smells etc to her writing, I really makes you feel like you are there. The book was a quick engaging read that I enjoyed.
Ken Brown
Jan 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is the third in her series. I like historical fiction and Roberta has done excellent research into 14th century Venice and the way of life at that time.
Neeuqdrazil
This finished the series, but I didn't enjoy it as much as the other two books.
Lori Emilson
Jul 08, 2017 rated it it was ok
A somewhat disappointing conclusion to this trilogy. I enjoyed the first two books much more.
Tracey
May 28, 2017 rated it it was ok
The first two books better.
Jos Deroo
The last part in a three part series and a good evocation of life for Jews in Venice in the 1500's. Unlikely in some parts but a good read.
Joan
Aug 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Compelling summer read. The ending is likely too happy to really reflect life at that time, but that’s ok- reality stinks.
Gillycat
Aug 24, 2018 rated it liked it
I think you need to have read the others to really enjoy this
Judi Andrews
May 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Conclusion to trilogy. Heard this author in Oakville. Hard to read of the treatment to Jews in Venice.
Sophie
Oct 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Well-written but the plot was a little thin.
Debbie
Jun 19, 2019 rated it it was ok
Just didnt keep my attention. I thought the characters were rather dull.

• Let Darkness Bury the Dead (Detective Murdoch #8)
  • Nightfall Over Shanghai (Adler Family, #3)
  • Appetite
  • The Last Daughter of Prussia
  • Cut You Down (Wakeland, #2)
  • Dancing With Kings
  • Under the Hawthorn Tree
  • Testament
  • The Competition (Da Vinci's Disciples #2)
  • Dispute Over a Very Italian Piglet
  • Daughter of the King
  • Burden of Desire
  • The Queen's Husband (Queen Victoria, #3)
  • Dragon Springs Road
  • Shadows on the Lake (Stefania Valenti, #1)
  • Things Can Only Get Feta: Two Journalists and Their Crazy Dog Living Through the Greek Crisis
  • The Lost Diaries of Susanna Moodie: A Novel
  • Pillars of Light
I was born on January 9th. Not the best time to be born if your birthplace happens to be the buckle on the snow belt, Buffalo, New York. Buffalo remained my home until I struck out on my own and managed to get 73 miles down the New York State Freeway to Rochester. My life took a turn for the better- better climate, better opportunities.
Writers of a certain vintage always seem to boast of the varie

Midwife (3 books)
  • The Midwife of Venice (Midwife #1)
  • The Harem Midwife (Midwife #2)