Start by marking “Thinking Machines: The Quest for Artificial Intelligence--And Where It's Taking Us Next” as Want to Read:

A fascinating look at Artificial Intelligence, from its humble Cold War beginnings to the dazzling future that is just around the corner.

When most of us think about Artificial Intelligence, our minds go straight to cyborgs, robots, and sci-fi thrillers where machines take over the world. But the truth is that Artificial Intelligence is already among us. It exists in our sm
Published March 7th 2017 by Tarcherperigee (first published June 2nd 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Thinking Machines, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thinking Machines

Start your review of Thinking Machines: The Quest for Artificial Intelligence--And Where It's Taking Us Next
Christine
Mar 28, 2017 rated it liked it
I should note that I am not computer tech person. I usually say at least twice a week, why can't my computer do what I want it to do as opposed to what I accidently told it to do.

I enjoyed this book. It was the non-fiction selection in My Book Box for March. Dormehl writes about computers for the layman, and the concepts are easily grasped. He raises questions and even gives some answers. At times, the book is non-linear but it is never confusing.
Gary  Beauregard Bottomley
There's nothing in this book for which I could recommend it. There's a little history of AI and multiple news stories from the recent press all probably familiar to most listeners. The world is changing and networks and AI are happening, but at the most the author only gives surface explanations for what's really going on. There is a story to be told for what's happening, but the author only seems to get the current events in themselves but can't tie them together and is out of his depth when it ...more
Angela
Nov 10, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science, 2017, nonfiction
This was awful. Shallow, surface-level popular science writing of the worst sort, narrated by a boring British gentleman whose hemming and hawing and excessive pausing I had to set on 1.5x just to get through. I had already read or heard about nearly everything hastily discussed, and I barely skim the news on artificial intelligence and robotics. Not to mention this was an extended paean to all the great things AI will give us, with a teensy-tiny chapter about the possible ill effects tacked on ...more
Soubhagya Nayak
Jun 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: ai-ml, 2017
Thinking Machine tries to capture the innovation and progress happening in the field of Artificial Intelligence. It is targeted for laymen and is easy to read.
The author starts the book brilliantly by capturing the history of AI, initial enthusiasm followed by the dull period and then the rise of AI and deep learning. One chapter is dedicated for neural networks and deep learning. The author does a great job in explaining the concepts of symbolic AI and deep learning.
But after chapter 2, the c
Diana C. Nearhos
Apr 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: owned, nonfiction
The subject matter of this book is really interesting. Multiple times, I remarked out loud or read something to my boyfriend.

The writing, however, left something to be desired. I don't like when a writer brings himself into the piece. If it's not about you, I don't want your first person. It was more than that, though, the way he referred back to other chapters felt jumpy. He over explained somethings and chose unrelatable examples at the extremes in others.
Sotiris Makrygiannis
A very good overview from 40s to now on the AI and efforts related to that. Written in an easy to understand but does not take into account concerns related to the "omnipresent" nature of AI. I will gladly recommend this book to any one that wants to understand the history of AI, in layman terms.
Ron
May 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: work
This book is a great discussion around the history of AI - where it started, where we're at today, and where it might go. My disappointment comes from the fact that I had thought I was getting a book that was more about the technical aspects of AI as it is today.
Peter Tillman
Nov 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-tech
This is a pretty good, short, up-to-date summary of the current state of the art, and future prospects for, artificial intelligence (AI). It's well-written, but I kept losing interest, and it sat on the bedside table until it came due and I made a push to finish it, skimming some.

I took some notes, which aren't very valuable. I learned some trivia: 4.4 trillion gigabytes of stuff online, as of 2016! The Google Brain project is training its AI by having it watch cat videos!! Is this truly the hig
Gary
Nov 26, 2017 rated it it was ok
Well, this isn't quite what I was looking for. If you want a light, breezy overview of the history and issues involved in AI then this is a probably a good place to start, but if you're at all familiar with the subject, by which I mean, you've read at least a single other survey of computer development and AI research, then there's not a whole heck of a lot to be added in this volume. The writing style is very much like what one might find on wired.com or one of the breezier tech-oriented sites. ...more
Amelie
May 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book involves a wide overview of the fast growing field of AI and served as an excellent read for anyone who is technology literate but no computer scientist.

It begins with the history of symbolic AI and the old guard of scientists that pioneered the field like Marvin Minsky and introduces classic AI thought experiments and the Turing Test.

The majority of the book thankfully delves straight into the more cutting edge technologies using neutral network systems and provides insight into the
Gabriel Thurau
Dec 20, 2019 rated it liked it
This book was OK. It did its job, provided an overview, and ultimately the writing was polished enough to pass as status quo journalism. This may sound like a backhanded compliment, but writing is difficult, so producing a status quo overview on AI is a commendable accomplishment.

I learned a few things - but as other readers have expressed, I expected a deeper dive into neural networks. To me, the most interesting parts of AI didn't get the camera time they deserved, and the book suffered becau
John
May 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was initially not planning to finish the book after reading the first few chapters, but I'm glad I gave it a chance. While it begins with an overview of the history of artificial intelligence, the book only gets interesting as it begins delving into the developments that have taken place in the field, the discussions that are being held on how to define the term AI, and the challenges we might face as a society in the future, as AI, slowly but steadily becomes a bigger and bigger part of our l ...more
Bradley Saund
Feb 25, 2019 rated it did not like it
Decent high level overview, but I noticed several factual errors so I am now worried I have "learned" false information from the book. A decent editor and fact-checker would have drastically improved my review

Examples of incorrect statements:
> Thomas Edison was able to produce a reliable, long-lasting electric lightbulb in his laboratory in Menlo Park, California.
> ENIAC...weighed 60 pounds and took up an entire room
> A regular clamshell cellphone... manages to be 1,3000 times faster
> For examp
Joséphine (Word Revel)
Actual rating: 4.5 stars

Initial thoughts: Even though the potential of artificial intelligence and its underlying principles usually fascinate me in science fiction, I've shied away from reading technical books about it. See, my grasp of science is considerably basic. For someone like me, Thinking Machines was very accessible. The concepts were broken down such that a laymen could understand them.

I gained a broader overview of the origins and state of AI today in a manner that also challenged an
Deb
Jun 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
it was very slow buildinf at first, to go over all the history behind the building of AI as we know (or not know) of today. it reminded me a lot about my grduate work in neuroscience and some of the lectures that i had discussing about connectome and where neuroscience as a whole was growing in parelle to what AI and what we know how we know things are being researched. i am happy to say that I am not only part of what makes AI (or I guess, AGI) is going to soon become but also will be able to s ...more
Shenard Robinson
Jun 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Challenge yourself to pick-up a copy of this book and read up on why Artifical Intelligence (AI) is more than a computer generated program. Can you live in a world that is self-sustaining? The answer is that we already do, now imagine living in a world that is artifically sustained. Will the parallels intersect much like space travel from one universe to another, and with the discovery of another universe the plausibility of travel between "worlds" is no longer philosophical, theoritical, or cos ...more
Gabrielle
A really easy read (and I mean that as a positive) for anyone looking to dip their toes into the world of Artificial Intelligence. A light book that skims across a wide range of AI topics and some of the most important figures and movements in its history. While this likely won't satisfy those well-read on the subject, I'd highly recommend this to someone curious about AI and looking for a solid starting point. There's a snappiness and modernity to the writing that I think would appeal to a lot ...more
Daniel Chen
May 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
An engaging broad overview of the recent boom of studies in artificial intelligence that veers a little too sharply towards wild conjecture towards the end, though I suppose that is the point of A.I. research. I would have appreciated a more focused and streamlined look at ways A.I. has evolved in terms of both academic research and business-driven research, whereas Dormehl preferred to focus on the latter. Contrast and structure are always important. It was overall an enjoyable and thought-prov ...more
Michael Tapp
Jun 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
I feel like this book is aimed at people who don’t know much about the current state of AI and want to get a general surface level grasp on it. I fall into that camp and I learned a lot from this book. I am 34 and writing this review in 2017 and my takeaway is that the world is going to drastically change within my lifetime. "47% of jobs in the US are susceptible to automation within the next 20 years” <- I am still processing that one. No one knows what the future holds but Thinking Machines cl ...more
Ross
Sep 27, 2018 rated it liked it
This is a nice little overview of the history of the development of machine intelligence for a general audience. The author touches briefly on the issue of whether machines will finally be developed that are more intelligent than human beings. He gives arguments on both sides of the question.
He doesn't mention the famous statement "It will be a very long time before computers are smarter than human beings. It may take a 100 years." In other words, just a second or two in real historical time.
Calin
Nov 29, 2017 rated it liked it
As someone who has very little understanding of the whole AI/Neural Networks topic I expected that I will clarify a lot of my questions by reading this book; that was not the case.

While the book covers numerous aspects of the AI topic, I can't stop feeling that it could have been summarised in a long blog post; especially the parts in which most of the information presented is just reference & mentions of others sources and studies.

On the positive side, I feel it covers quite well the part abou
Ravi Calyanakoti
Sep 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is the first book on AI I have read. It starts with a history of AI and covers the different areas of AI - different types of AI, use cases - past, present and future, research taking place in AI world with real world examples. As the book is written by a journalist, it is an easy read like reading a set of magazine articles.

Overall I would recommend this for a beginner reader to get an understanding into the world of AI.
Shar
Jan 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a good overview of the history of AI in layman's terms. I found it a fascinating look at where AI came from and where it's headed. Bonus is finding out that IBM's Watson not only authored a cook book but also has an app to help you make something great out of whatever you have lying around your kitchen.
Lilia
Feb 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Tyler
Jul 28, 2017 rated it liked it
It's more of an explanation of the history and world of AI than exploration of ideas. It's about the 3rd book I've read on AI and it is almost exactly the same. They all talk about IBM's Watson, which I've read up on and it's kind of a joke. Fairly disappointing but adding a star for giving a good history on AI.
Dan Carpenter
Mar 12, 2020 rated it liked it
This book is a lot like other books on the topic. Not a ton of substance but still interesting in that it helps the reader think about different possibilities with regard to AI. Learning about Chef Watson was interesting.
Dy-an
Jul 22, 2018 rated it liked it
I would love to work with some of the AI that is discussed in this book. So far all the AI I work with can't really be called intelligent. Guess it's just A. See the chapter on artificial stupidity for more about my daily struggle.
Jessica
Jun 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaways, tech
The history of AI was very interesting to learn about. Toward the end, it was funny seeing some topics brought up that I have had lengthy discussions about before. Wasn't much flow between the information/chapters. Well worth a read.
Carmen Watts
May 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Head Spinning

I like books that make me think and I will be thinking a lot about this book. Too many issues too many things to think about and too many possibilities to resolve. Yes my head is still spinning.
David
Aug 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
A great (recent) history on mankind's attempt at creating programs for machines to artificially create new sets of data for the purpose of the progression of many, many subjects. This book also conveys the consequences that might arise if we take intelligence machines to its maximum potential.

• Deep Thinking: Where Machine Intelligence Ends and Human Creativity Begins
  • The Art of Invisibility: The World's Most Famous Hacker Teaches You How to Be Safe in the Age of Big Brother and Big Data
  • The Space Barons: Elon Musk, Jeff Bezos, and the Quest to Colonize the Cosmos
  • Humans Need Not Apply: A Guide to Wealth and Work in the Age of Artificial Intelligence
  • The Science of Rapid Skill Acquisition: Advanced Methods to Learn, Remember, and Master New Skills, Information, and Abilities
  • Be a Writing Machine: Write Faster and Smarter, Beat Writer's Block, and Be Prolific (Author Level Up Book 2)
  • The Uninhabitable Earth: Life After Warming
  • Coders: The Making of a New Tribe and the Remaking of the World
  • The Green New Deal: Why the Fossil Fuel Civilization Will Collapse by 2028, and the Bold Economic Plan to Save Life on Earth
  • Disrupt You!: Master Personal Transformation, Seize Opportunity, and Thrive in the Era of Endless Innovation
  • A Little History of Economics
  • Always North
  • Life 3.0: Being Human in the Age of Artificial Intelligence
  • Päntsdrunk (Kalsarikänni): The Finnish Path to Relaxation (Drinking at Home, Alone, in Your Underwear)
  • Clean Meat: How Growing Meat Without Animals Will Revolutionize Dinner and the World
  • Turing's Cathedral: The Origins of the Digital Universe
  • The Heartland: Finding and Losing Schizophrenia
  • Supernova Era
Luke Dormehl is a journalist and author, with a background working in documentary film. His writing has appeared in Wired, Digital Trends, The Guardian, Fast Company, Empire, Cult of Mac, Politico, The Huffington Post, and Techmeme.

He is the author of Thinking Machines, The Formula: How Algorithms Solve All Our Problems (And Create More), The Apple Revolution: Steve Jobs, The Counterculture, and H

News & Interviews

“Learning is a profoundly important part of what makes us human. It is also something Good Old-Fashioned AI struggled with. The” 1 likes
“Currently, education is stuck in the same Industrial Revolution paradigm it has been in for more than 100 years. In” 0 likes