Start by marking “The Leading Brain: Powerful Science-Based Strategies for Achieving Peak Performance” as Want to Read:

A cutting-edge guide to applying the latest research in brain science to leadership - to sharpen performance, encourage innovation, and enhance job satisfaction.

**Featured on NPR, Success, Investor Business Daily, Thrive Global, MindBodyGreen, The Chicago Tribune, and more**

There's a revolution taking place that most businesses are still unaware of. The understanding of h
Published February 21st 2017 by Tarcherperigee

Start your review of The Leading Brain: Powerful Science-Based Strategies for Achieving Peak Performance
Michael Huang
A book for some neuroscience-based heuristics to reach better performance and understand psychology of other people to build a better team.
• There is a sweet spot of stress for peak performance. (experiment on bat under different amount of electrical shock to work out a maze showed sweet spots)
• Enough sleep is important so that the limbic system (emotion) doesn't take over. Sleep deprived people are 60% more likely to be emotion controlled.
• Habits: brain form energy-saving habits. So form g
Kari Olfert
Jun 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
6 stars ✨❤️
If you're a mega nerd that loves brain fun facts and also a book that is actually an interesting read in regards to how your brain operates in peak conditions then this 📚
Ioana Șiman
Dec 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Like any good book should be, it answers difficult questions in simple words. A must read.
Rachel Lowry
May 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
The book started and finished strongly, with enough interesting insights grounder by neuropsychology peppered throughout to keep me engaged.

The topics I found most fascinating, that may prompt others to pick up the book include:

- the topic of peak performance requires. It was fascinating to learn that we each require stress at optimal levels if we are to perform at our peak, depending on each persons testosterone level

- the role of sleep on peak performance and brain function

- the role of our
Jamie
Jan 30, 2020 rated it liked it
This is a good, solid book for people new to the realm of non-fiction for business. As a more seasoned reader of this genre, I didn't learn many new things, but it was helpful to see so many areas of research and information linked together in one book. It tackles a wealth of topics: sleep, habits, building teams, fostering creativity, learning, and more. Plus, all of the science related to brain chemicals and how they operate and both affect and are affected by thoughts and behavior was interes ...more
Jane
Jun 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
One of the subjects of recent investigations into how the brain works has been the focus of educators on using this knowledge to increase student learning and retention of knowledge. The focus of The Leading Brain: Powerful Science-Based Strategies for Achieving Peak Performance takes study of the brain in a different direction. In business, learning about peak performance of the brain can help business leaders understand and direct their business with a knowledge of how the brain functions and ...more
С. Хоролсүрэн
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Multitasking is a voluntary distraction. True Multitasking is, which relies entirely on the prefrontal cortex, is impossible. Although it takes just a few seconds to shift from one task to another and than back to the original task requires an average of 23 minutes to get fully an back on track. Instead of multitasking make Mindfulness a habit. (daily Meditation)
When it comes to managing habit, it is important to put your heart into it. Our brain is naturally averse to changes(changing habits,
Rita Dimitri
Mar 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Having seen the plethora of "self-help" and productivity-inducing books flying off the shelves these days, I became numb to all the catchy slogans and taglines each one claims to use as their stepping stone to perfection.

The Leading Brain is the first book I've read in a long time which makes basic sense. Rather than giving you actions to carry-out to become more productive, this book teaches you how/why we behave we do from a scientific perspective. Personally, this approach felt far more effe
Raz Pirata
The Leading Brain - Powerful Science Based Strategies for Achieving Peak Performance

“Choices are made with goals in mind, goals are attached to our reward systems, each decision (no matter how trivial) has an emotional component”

I’ve got a confession to make, I have a neuroscience addiction. Put “neuroscience” on anything and I’m in. This is a brave new world for our understanding of the human mind and it is neuroscience that is directing the stage lights. It’s the shiny new thing in the world o
Kevin Kaw
Jun 08, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While generally well written, the book fails to live-up towards the second half of the book. On the positive side: (1) the book is written for those with zero background knowledge, (2) the concepts are delivered in story form for easier absorption, and (3) there are summaries at the end of each chapter for key concepts. However, on the negative side: (1) the discussion over our subconscious mind was over explained with little substance. it was a huge drag to read through. (2) given that I am int ...more
Patrick Willis
Jul 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: leadership, science
This was an absolutely phenomenal book! I got the recommendation to read it and was able to borrow it from my brother-in-law, and I'm sure glad I listened! First of all, yes, this book has research, reports, and all of that fun stuff in it, however it's presented in a SUPER readable and enjoyable format. I enjoyed this book SO much that I'm definitely going to get myself my own copy and even recommend our staff read it at some point.

It was refreshing to read about the science and research being
Keith Waters
May 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent. The leading brain provides a scientific looks at how our brains works and how we can leverage an understanding of our brains capabilities to ultimately achieve peak performance. Unlike most books on success and self develop this one is based in science which I found refreshing. The scientific verbiage can become challenging and you can easily get lost in the details. But push through any boredom or lack of interest that may creep in. The points they make are solid and concr ...more
Sambasivan
Feb 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A synthesis of many discoveries about the brain and a to do list of actions to improve oneself. Both as an individual and as a leader.

Talent is critical. Training not so much but deliberate practice is. Learning throughout your life is ultra important. Keeping fit is essential. Adequate sleep is necessary for successful brain work. Multi tasking is wrong. Keep a sharp focus on whatever you do. Mindfulness will make you more efficient.

These are some of the truisms that are talked about. Even th
SVEN
Mar 28, 2021 rated it really liked it
Wlle executed and some worthwhile new insights below

Stress Goldilocks zone for performance is lower for women than men and old then young
Sleep is the key de-stressant
Habits are 45% of our day, triggered by cues
92% of New Year resolutions unmet
Intuition is real

4 Personality Types: succes takes all 4
EXPLORER, needs to be stressed-dopamine-need change
BUILDER cautious deliberation serotoning-need autonomy
NEGOTIATOR empathy/verbal-estrogen - need recognition
DIRECTOR competitive -pragmatic-decisive t
Jim
Jul 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
A very thorough look at how one can change thier habits and thinking to improve performance in whatever they are doing. At times the book is hard to follow due to the in depth analysis provided but it is wee worth the effort to finish. I will use this text as a ready reference for continuing research; from the Peak performance curve to the social interaction model. This text is definitely one to keep close at hand and revisit often.
Jessica
Jul 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best leadership books I’ve read. Perhaps it’s because it’s not just someone’s theories or ideas, but based on scientific evidence of the chemicals that create certain emotions and reactions in us. I’ll be keeping this one very nearby and implementing it in my leadership style piece by piece and reaction by reaction. Nakedly revealing but a necessary read for anyone in the workplace, whether currently or aspiring to be in a leadership position.
Raena Noor
Feb 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really loved this book. I bought the audiobook and finished it in an overnight drive. The information was extensive, yet, easy to follow as real life assets were added. The chapters are concise and the details are handy. I've taken some notes on the subject matters regarding how to build a successful team and how to acknowledge the different thought processing aspects. I found The Leading Brain to be very helpful. Every new small business owner or entrepreneur should read this as a start. ...more
Big Satan
Sep 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Why do I think like this? How can I develop and optimize my performance at work? On stage? At home? Learn about yourself and others by way of neuroscientific facts compiled into useful info packets, with several anecdotes illustrating and driving points home. Fascinating, and very easy-reading despite the complex subject. Recommended for anyone with a brain, and willing to use it more efficiently!
Arvind Ravi
Nov 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Every chapter is intriguing and interesting once I start it. I am able to get a scientific perspective and also a philosophical sense. The book helps to understand ourselves better and also suggests scientific and psychological ways to treat people around us. I feel it is suited for people irrespective of their positions or occupation. If you are a manager or leader, you can immediately experiment the Third section of the book. Worth reading!
Ryan Henderson
Nov 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is well worth your time. Anyone who is in a leadership position or maybe needs some tips on how to become a better leader so you might get into a leadership position should read this. Not very long and really packs the important info in without boring you. It will help you understand the chemicals in your brain what they do and how they impact your situatioinal decision making etc. Definitely worth it if youre a leader or like reading about the brain.
Kristóf Litavecz
Insightful, sometimes hard to follow

This book is full of useful, hands-on ideas that can easily be applied in day to day life. The only challenge that I found was that I had to reread certain parts of the book to understand what the high level message is. The summarise at the end of each chapter helped though
Mohd Rukhairy Abdul Rahman
Mar 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
A great book for the bosses out there (including mine) to start acting as a leader and start accepting the facts that science plays a role within business too. Too many bosses clouded their vision with all the curated articles and business trends that they stop thinking strategically, but sadly not realizing it. A damn good read for all you bosses out there!
Monika
Dec 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If you want to:
Create a successful team with people liking their job,
Be a good leader and …man
Understand in a clear manner how your brain work, react, which processes determinate our reactions and get some recipe how to change it if needed
this BOOK is for you.
I read it on a few days on one breath.
Maja Taseska
Oct 10, 2020 rated it it was ok
Repetitive. Nothing really new or too interesting. I have only read a couple of books from this self-help genre based on human nature and how the brain works. Yet, for most of the content of this book, I believe I already have read it somewhere before. But it can be an OK read to start with if one is new to the genre.
Marius
Mar 03, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own-a-copy
Great book which I would almost have given 5 stars. Since I read a few books in this area already, the added value for me was not as high as it will be for readers new to this area. In any case, it was great to see these ideas applied to a work setting and I especially appreciated the last chapters about forming, repairing and maintaining exceptional teams.
Polly Wolf
Jan 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent information on improving personal brain functioning as well as individual interactions and team dynamics. Very different approach from previous management and team building books. I found the material to be fairly accurate with my 20+ years of military leadership experience.
Erica Haughton
May 29, 2018 rated it liked it
I wasn't super interested in the science and research behind some of the findings, however, I did enjoy the practicality of their suggestions and can see myself implementing them in my everyday work. ...more
Angel Edora
Nov 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Though most of the techniques offered are already practiced in some workplaces, having the insight and understanding backed by neuroscience gives more clarity and trust to the given techniques that makes it easier to follow.
Helfren Filex
Aug 27, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: market
Leading brain is a series of brain related studies and the real strategy on how to maximize the use of brain with the distinct environment and the image of success will give motivation for you to get started. Interesting read.
Dalin
Nov 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Enough of theories! It’s time to get science all backed up! I’m thankful I’ve read this book. I’m already getting tired to people telling me their “theories”. Not like those theories work for everyone!
« previous 1 3 next »

• Fault Lines: How Hidden Fractures Still Threaten the World Economy
  • Peak Performance: Elevate Your Game, Avoid Burnout, and Thrive with the New Science of Success
  • Why We Make Mistakes: How We Look Without Seeing, Forget Things in Seconds, and Are All Pretty Sure We Are Way Above Average
  • Your Brain at Work: Strategies for Overcoming Distraction, Regaining Focus, and Working Smarter All Day Long
  • Chatter: The Voice in Our Head, Why It Matters, and How to Harness It
  • The Myth of Multitasking: How "doing It All" Gets Nothing Done
  • Diaspora
  • Willpower Doesn't Work: Discover the Hidden Keys to Success
  • Relentless Solution Focus: Train Your Mind to Conquer Stress, Pressure, and Underperformance
  • The Only Game in Town: Central Banks, Instability, and Avoiding the Next Collapse
  • La crisis del capital en el siglo XXI: Crónicas de los años en que el capitalismo se volvió loco (Singular)
  • Eisenhorn (Eisenhorn #1-3)
  • Limitless: Upgrade Your Brain, Learn Anything Faster, and Unlock Your Exceptional Life
  • The Leader's Secret Code: The belief systems that distinguish winners
  • The Bravest You: Five Steps to Fight Your Biggest Fears, Find Your Passion, and Unlock Your Extraordinary Life
  • Encyclopedia of Ethical Failure - United States Government - updated July 2013
  • The Little Book of Talent: 52 Tips for Improving Your Skills

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »