Start by marking “Cat Nap” as Want to Read:
Cat Nap

Cat Nap

Cat loves to nap. If only he could find a good resting place to hide from playful (and wide awake) Kitten!

Opposites and hide-and-seek make this a fun story for nap time -- or anytime.
Published January 26th 2016 by Fewer & Friends

To ask other readers questions about Cat Nap, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cat Nap

Start your review of Cat Nap
Dani ❤️ Perspective of a Writer
description
Check out more Picture book reviews @ Perspective of a Writer...

Cat wants to take a nap but kitten won't let her and hunts her down where ever she finds to hide.

This is way below my nephew's reading level. (He has a kind of aphasia so ALL words are a struggle but for the most part these are beginner words that he knows.) We picked it because of the basic drawings and the color block nature of the art. The art was absolutely incredible, simple and yet compelling at the same time and made reading
Chinook
Jul 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids
I have never identified so strongly with a character in a board book before.

Maddie also likes it.
Cheryl
Feb 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: animals, children-s
Cat is so tired—and all he wants to do is take a nap. But with mischievous kitten around, a nap seems to be impossible! Adding to cat’s troubles is a little mouse who creeps around to watch the activities!

Toni Yuly’s depiction of the cats is spot on! This delightful book has colorful illustrations which add to the story’s appeal. This is a wonderful book to read aloud with young children.

Cat Nap has also been nominated for the Colorado Libraries for Early Literacy Bell Award!
Melinda
Mar 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s, cats
Cute story, and I loved the illustrations. How adorable is this??

Becky
First sentence: The clock says noon. It's time to rest. Cat is sleepy. He wants to nap. Kitten is curious. She wants to play...

Premise/plot: Will Cat ever get to take a nap?! Kitten suggests playing hide and seek. Cat is hoping that he'll sneak in a nap while Kitten seeks him. But. Kitten is good at the game. And Cat, well, Cat just can't trick Kitten. Can Kitten trick Cat?!

My thoughts: I enjoyed this one. Cat and Kitten aren't the only ones playing hide and seek. Can you spot who else is
Roben
Kitten wants to play and play and play! Cat just wants to sleep. Yuly captures the exuberant energy of the kitten perfectly and reinforces the concept of opposites in a fun way. Be sure to look for the little mouse that keeps reappearing on almost every page.
K8
Jan 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book pretty much sums up Plum and Sophie's relationship.
Barbara
This color-drenched picture book illustrates perfectly the difference between a older, more reserved cat and a fun-seeking kitten. While Cat is looking forward to following his routine, filled with plenty of napes, Kitten has other ideas. Cat has the great idea to play a hiding game--yeah, right!--but each time Kitten manages to locate his hiding spot. Tired of that game, Cat heads off for a well-deserved nap, only to find that Kitten is in his preferred napping place. Anyone who has spent much ...more
Mary
Feb 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Happy book that might help toddlers understand that they should sometimes leave pets alone! Liked the little mouse that we can look for on most pages. Big, bold illustrations
Barb Middleton
Cat wants a nap but kitten wants to play hide-and-seek. Cat always gets caught. The KA and Kindergarteners love this book. The bold colors and mouse that is hidden on most pages kept them guessing and engaged. They were more interested in the mouse than the cat. One boy thought that mouse was helping kitten.
Amanda Geske
Mar 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
Passed to me by a certain in-the-know librarian, I am so happy I read this. Big cat is trying to take a nap, but pesky kitten has too much energy and wants to play. They tumble through beautiful illustrations that could second as an Ikea catalogue.
Melle
Dec 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: big siblings
Recommended to Melle by: Donell
Zelda and Minne if the color and sizes were reverse. Big cat doesn't want anything to do with the persistent and playful kitten. Would be a great read for reluctant older siblings with annoying younger siblings, probably. Super cute.
Edward Sullivan
Cat wants to nap, kitten wants to play.
Casandria
Cute book about a sleepy cat and a curious kitten.
Asho
This is such a great book! I picked it out for L because she's always happy with cat or dog books. This one was especially cute. I love the illustrations. They are simple but very creative and colorful and bold. Even F (4 months old) seemed intrigued by the pictures. The text is simple but nothing more was needed to tell this humorous story. L got a kick out of the Kitten annoying Cat as he tried to sleep. She loves playing hide-and-seek right now (and announcing her hiding place) so she liked ...more
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Yuly, Toni. Cat Nap, BOARD BOOK. Feiwel and Friends, 2016. $7.99.

Big Cat is so tired. It’s nap time and little Kitten wants to play. Anywhere Cat goes, Kitten finds him. When Cat finally escapes to slink off and get some rest… Kitten is sleeping in his bed!

Simple, cute pictures will make young readers interested in these cats who can’t get away from each other. They’ll also find the antics of Kitten amusing.

PRE-K- ADVISABLE. Reviewed by Shay, School Librarian
Lara
Feb 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved the sibling-like relationship to Cat and Kitten. The illustrations were very clever, but still bright and colorful - good for a group at storytime.

Used for a storytime on cats, and the kids enjoyed pointing out where Cat was hiding ("where is he hiding down low?" "under the bed!"). Would definitely include again in storytime plans.
Christine
Oct 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Simple board book with colorful, bold illustrations. I would recommend this book that focuses on opposites for the PK-K level children. This could be a book used to illustrate opposites in a parent/child or teacher/student setting. The visuals of opposites are very bold. It is a wonderful book for the youngest readers.
Cat
Jul 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yep. I'm not a cat but I can relate to this story! Cute little tale from real little ones about an older cat who wnts to take a nap and a wee kitten who wants to play and play and play! Illustrations are nice and bold and basic. Perfect for little ones.
Sep 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty into cats right now, so this one is a hit. A bit more complex than Early Bird and Night Owl, but still simple enough for a young toddler to follow along. Bonus points for mouse hiding on most pages, which gives us something else to look for/talk about as we read.
Ann Santori
THE CUTESTTTTTTTTTT; Kitten (who takes the role of a younger sibling) is constantly annoying Cat (the older of the pair) to play with him. Sharp, simple illustrations.
Oct 21, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Very cute.
Liz
Nov 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book. Short enough sentences, yet fun for little children. Great illustrations. But the context is just as fun for parents. I relate to cat. Lol
Kimberly
Oh, Cat, I feel you so hard, buddy. Those damn kittens, interrupting naps!
Wendy
Perfectly captures the relationship between an inexhaustible little one and a tired caregiver. (I bet many parents can relate.)
Vivian
Apr 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Sheer genius graphic art. Minimal text. So many ways to explore the pages. My grandchildren (ages 2 and 4) enjoyed this again and again.
Donnisha Jones
Jun 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-aloud, 2019
Nice drawings
Alicia
Nov 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book describes the life of my cats so well xD. Great for storytime--short pages with great illustrations. Absolutely adorable!
May 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids, storytime, acls
Great, cute, fun story. Perfect for toddler story time.
Amy Wasson
Nov 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really cute! This book is funny and beautifully illustrated. If you pay attention, the mouse is on every single page hidden somewhere :)
« previous 1 3 next »

• Here Comes Santa Cat
  • Mighty, Mighty Construction Site
  • Wow! Said the Owl
  • My Cat Looks Like My Dad
Toni Yuly is the author-illustrator of the picture books Early Bird, Night Owl, and Cat Nap. After many years as a librarian, she now dedicates herself to designing, painting, and writing all day. Toni Yuly lives in Bremerton, Washington.