Start by marking “Murder at McDonald's: The Killers Next Door” as Want to Read:
Murder at McDonald's: The Killers Next Door

Murder at McDonald's: The Killers Next Door

3.89  ·  Rating details ·  219 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
The chilling true crime account of the botched robbery that would become the most sensational murder case in Canadian history: the Sydney River McDonald’s massacre.

It started with a broken conveyor belt. When the mechanical malfunction brought eighteen-year-old McDonald’s employee Derek Wood into the restaurant’s back room, he saw the safe and got a dangerous idea. It wo
Published June 28th 2016 by MysteriousPress.com/Open Road (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Murder at McDonald's, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Murder at McDonald's

Melissa
Jun 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very brutal Canadian tragedy....
Killian
Jul 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Every now and then I get in the mood for some good ol' true crime. Since we don't have cable, I can't just turn on TruTV anymore, but I saw this book on Netgalley and figured I'd see if it could satisfy that craving. This is a book about the murder and assault of four nighttime workers at a McDonald's in a small industrial town. All over a few thousand dollars that the robbers got out of the safe, when they mistakenly thought there were going to steal hundreds of thousands.

First of all, I didn'
Melanie
Apr 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, spring, true-crime
I remember when this happened .
such a sad event I hope the families have found some peace
Melyssa Winchester
I'm a true crime junkie, but it's been awhile since I've actually sat down with a book (apart from movies and television shows, news, etc) and gone through one this way. Especially one that hits especially close to home based on location, etc.
It's a crime that happened when I was twelve, so it doesn't surprise me too much that it's one I didn't know had taken place, even knowing that the majority of my family is from that side of the country. Reading about it now, twenty-five years after the fa
Heidi
May 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very good book written by a journalist who was raised in the town in which the murders took place. The story is not only about the senseless and very violent murder of three people and the permanent damaging of a fourth person, but also how the community pulled together to help those families, the other employees at the McDonald's, and the community as a whole to hold itself together and to get through a horrific time. The author did an excellent job of describing what happened the night of the ...more
Veronica M. Vega
Feb 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Interesting and comprehensive

This is both a heart rending story and a fascinating look at a crime that rocked Canada. Here in California, we have the memories of the San Ysidro McDonald's shooting, but I had no idea that Canada had had it's own tragedy at the Golden Arches.
The author is very good at bringing home the tragedy while not overloading the reader with emotion, letting the story be told without distraction while maintaining the respect for the dead and their families that it is so ea
Cherryl Northcutt Valdez
It was an interesting story of how the actions of three young men, touched the lives of an entire community. However, the first half of the book was long, tedious and drawn out. Then, the author seems to be rushing the second half of the book, as if he had completed his storytelling before the book was finish.
Andrea
Jun 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Not just a case, but giving a voice to the victims

There is so much information about the families and the consequences. It is not just a case. It is a story of families who lost loved ones. There are a lot of personal stories that make these people very real.
Karyn
Jan 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Murder

Good read not great but a tell tale story of a terrible crime and the aftermath of the vicitims family as well as the murderd family
Mar 26, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well written true-crime story that takes place in 1990's Canada. The book covers events from the crime thru the end of the trials.
Lisa Tollard
Jul 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Comprehensive

The way the Author described the suspects and the scene of the crime. It felt like I knew not only the victims but also the suspects
Jessica Timmons
Jan 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a perfect example of boys gone bad. What the actions of 3 young men can completely crush a small city and it's inhabitants. Leaving families torn apart, a child without his father and a beautiful young women to grow old, disabled. It leaves the reader completely baffled by our justice system which is not for the victims but for the criminals themselves, leaving us all shaking our heads and wondering "why?". The final paragraph of the novel will surely hit home with everyone and leav ...more
Colleen Maclennan
Jun 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Such a sad book. A whole community suffered from this senseless tragedy. The blame for this is these three young men, not unemployment, not a struggling economy, not their upbringing . They knew right from wrong. I was sadden by their seemingly lack of remorse for what they had done and how they were able to function so normally after their murderous spree. As happens so often the victims and their families are not protected by the judicial system. The perpetrators of vicious crimes get more pro ...more
Vanessa
Jul 14, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Turgid writing mars what could have been a compelling exploration of the shockwaves created by a crime in small-town Canada. The author fairly clobbers you with "it was the last time she saw him" and "little did the know, they would never get the chance to say goodbye" - either the author doesn't trust the reader (I mean show don't tell, Jaysus!) or thinks we are all sociopaths that can't understand human emotion without a roadmap. Just read In Cold Blood.

I received an ecopy from the publishers
Sheila
Aug 25, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Horrifying story about three young men, one a recent teachers college student, who murdered three and permanently disabled one of the guy's co-workers at a McDonald's restaurant in Sydney River, Cape Breton...for a total take of about $40.

The book's well written but leaves you with the unfathomable question: how could three somewhat aimless but apparently innocuous young men have committed such a horrific crime?
Kathryn
Jul 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What was great about this true crime book is that the author took the time to introduce the reader to the victims and show them as real people instead of as just a name from a crime. I loved the fact that the author uses pictures in the book it really helped paint the portrait of the places the crime took place. It was so well written and a fascinating case in my opinion, I'm glad I was able to read this. I would recommend it to anyone that's a fan of true crime.
Shelley
Jan 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have read a ton of true crime books over the years. Such a horrific crime that I remember when it happened. I have owned this book for years and only read it now which was interesting considering I recently vacationed in Cape Breton and Halifax. Being familiar with the area made the story even more interesting to me. Often writers of true crime mostly report the "news" or "facts" but reveal little if anything of their own emotions to the case. It was nice to see this author's compassion.
Rhonda Lomazow
Jun 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A horrific crime a muder scene three people dead.A town torn apart.a book that will shock as you read it.
Carolyn Impey
Aug 30, 2016
Arlene
Jan 22, 2018
Nora Staffanell
rated it did not like it
Apr 20, 2017

$7.99 $1.99
    $27.99 $2.99
  • Waiter Rant: Thanks for the Tip-Confessions of a Cynical Waiter
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Dakota: A Spiritual Geography (Dakotas)
    $13.99 $1.99
    $10.74 $1.99
  • The Beauty Myth: How Images of Beauty Are Used Against Women
    $14.99 $2.99
    $18.99 $1.99
  • The God Particle: If the Universe Is the Answer, What Is the Question?
  • The Wright Brothers