Start by marking “Best in Show” as Want to Read:
Best in Show

Best in Show

Solitary mystery writer Julian Wilkes doesn’t want a pet, but his sister persuades him to visit Lingwood Animal Rescue, where he is immediately taken with a large ginger tabby cat. Before he can settle into the joys of cat ownership, however, he discovers something very unusual about his new companion.

Macavity Birch is cursed. By day he is a large tabby cat. At night he ca
Published July 27th 2016 by Dreamspinner Press

To ask other readers questions about Best in Show, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Best in Show

Len Evans Jr
Oct 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
I loved, loved, loved and loved this book! First off this book sorta kinda fits the season. Sorta kinda cuz there is a cat involved, though not a black one... and there are some witches as well as a mouse in it. This book was so much fun, it is kinda fluffy, mostly light-hearted and with so sexy times at the end. I just love Julian, and Mac especially but that is just cuz I have a thing for gingers. Only think I could ask for is more stories set in this town of witches and shifters. Overall, thi ...more
BWT (Belen)
Julian Wilkes writes mysteries and a little romantic suspense, but since his last breakup he's been a bit blocked. When his sister persuades (read: harangues) Julian into adopting a pet he decides on a large ginger tabby cat.

Macavity "Mac" Birch's pranks have gotten him into hot water before, but this time he's gone too far. Left for five days at Lingwood Animal Rescue, Mac's just happy he's been "rescued" before the little bit of magic he inherited from the woman his family calls "Aunt Clare" d
Christi Snow
Jul 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
My Review:
Yes, I'll admit it...I'm a cat person and could totally see either of my cats as cat shifters and that made me love this book even more. Mac is a cat shifter and has been able to shift into his cat form since he turned 13. But recently, he offended his witch relative and she's made it so he can only shift into his human form during the dark of night. A twist of fate meant Mac ended up in the animal shelter which is where Julian found him.

Julian is an introverted author. His sister thi
Aeren
Sep 29, 2016 rated it it was ok
Hay poco romance, y de ser sincera, parece casi metido en el final con calzador, pero la idea del chico convertido en gatazo a rayas es super mona.
Ami

Okay, I will admit it. That tabby cat on the cover was my biggest reason to impulsively buy this novella. What can I say, I can be such a sucker for cats. Of course, I am also familiar with Kelly Jensen's previous stories, so it's not like I buying this cat in the bag (*teehee*)

Well, I thought it was cute. I was exceptionally amused with the reason why Mac was cursed ((view spoiler)). I enjoyed Mac and Julian interaction, includ
Diverse
Jul 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: july-2016-reads
4.5 Stars

This was so freaking adorable! Julien is a lonely writer in a serious rut. He hasn’t written a thing in three years after a break up leaves everything inside him stale. His sister pushes him to adopt a dog, he ends up adopting a cat and that’s where the magic begins… literally!

This love story has a twist. In this world witches are absolutely real and living next door. Mac isn’t your normal house cat and the irony that he and Julien become paired is awesome.

Fate, magic and love. Three t
Ann
So much cuteness in one story.
Anne Crow
Mar 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Oh, sweet and lighthearted fun. They were so shy with each other and thinking the other too good/sweet for them... adorable.
Marge
Aug 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: hurt-comfort, m-m, romance
A fun story with characters and a shifter I really liked. I would love to read a sequel where Julian gets his writing mojo back and Mac finds a career. And where their relationship deepens, of course!
Donald
Jun 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
A cute story...I so related to Julian. I am not a fan of cats, but if a ginger tabby showed up at my door, I might reconsider that opinion! I would love having a Mac in my life!!! A sweet story of discovery, acceptance, and possible love...I still want to know if Julian was able to follow through...
Terri Jones
Oct 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This will be a very short and enthusiastic review, because these guys are just so freakin' CUTE (TWO cinnamon rolls!) and the plot has some scare to it and the ebook is $0.99 so don't just sit there, go get it!
Joyfully Jay
Jul 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: jay
A Joyfully Jay review.

’ll admit, I was drawn to this one by the “stuck in cat form” aspect, as well as the atypical shifter angle, and in this area I think the story does well. Jensen does a good job bringing out Mac’s kitty side. He starts off with kind of an aloof self interest (oh so common in cats), until he gets to know Julian and sees what a sweet guy he is. And when Mac is stuck in cat form, he is just so feline and all his little behaviors reminded me so much of my cats. There
Mari Cardenas ~ Bayou Book Junkie
*** Copy provided to Bayou Book Junkie in exchange for a fair and honest review. ***

Julian is forced by his sister to go to the Lingwood Animal Rescue Center to adopt a dog to force him to interact with other, but when they get there Julian feels compelled to adopt a big, ginger tabby cat named Marmalade instead, even if he has no clue why.

Once they're home and are settling into life together, some weird things start happening and Julian starts to feel like he might be losing his mind.

Macavity
Melissa Mendoza
Aug 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
"Mac reached for Julian's cheek, and when he didn't jerk away, pressed the back of his hand to the warm skin. He didn't know what to say. Maybe words weren't necessary."

3.5 Here Kitty stars!! Quirky and different, but refreshingly cute!

Julian is a mystery writer, who spends most of his time alone. His sister convinces him to go to an animal rescue shelter to get a pet. While there he falls for an adorable orange cat and adopts him. Once home, he notices there's something different about his new
Serena Yates
Written with a great deal of humor, this is a hilarious story about a lonely mystery writer named Julian and the pet he is “forced” to get by his sister. Only, the big tabby cat by the name of Mac is actually a cursed man on the run from his family. As suspected, trouble follows these to anywhere they turn, and the magical mystery they have to solve is quite intriguing.

Mac is delightfully catlike in his behaviors during the day. When he changes into a man at night, he discovers that the diary Ju
Elliot Cooper
Jul 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Very cute story! A bit of a romantic comedy, but not over-the-top with the awkwardly humorous moments. I love that the conflicts between the MCs were resolved like adults. Awkward adults. But adults who aren't too afraid to talk about things (even if there's hesitance).

Head-canoned Mac as Eddie Redmayne.

Really liked the characters and the interesting shifter and witch lore. Would like to see stories about Mac's family (maybe his siblings). :)
Michael Joseph
Aug 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gay-fantasy
You can ready my review of “Best in Show” at my web site.
Amy Spector
Jun 28, 2016 marked it as to-read
I'm not sure why this makes me so happy, but it does!
Liz (Bugetta)
Super cute cat shifter book. I just wish it was longer. I hope the author revists this world because I liked the world building and there are definitely more stories to be told!
Lola
Oct 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: wishlist, mm-romance
I really liked the premise of this book and that's mostly the reason I bought this one. And after reading and enjoying two of this authors other books already I bought this one and hoped I would enjoy this one too. Best in Show is a fun short read about a mystery writer who adopts a cat, who actually turns out to be a shapeshifting human.

This was a very fun and enjoyable story. I really liked the story and the whole premise with Mac being stuck in cat form and Julian adopting him and thinking he
Penumbra
Best in Show is a cat shifter story. The MCs are Julian Wilkes, a mystery writer, and Macavity ‘Mac’ Birch, a cursed male witch, who lives his life as a cat by day, and human at night. The story is told in third person through both MCs povs.

(view spoiler)
Deirdre
Feb 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
OMG! I had no idea that this was a shifter book. What a wonderful surprise! And Kelly Jensen pulled it off with such ease. I purchased the book nearly two years ago and had completely forgotten its premise. This is how I like to read a book, determining I want to some time ago - then letting it marinate, in this case the result is an entertaining novella about an uncommon shifter - the regular house cat. Though Marmalade is far from your average house pet, though he did have that catitude we who ...more
Jane (PS)
Nov 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm

I'm not sure why this book isn't rated more highly hence my rounding up from 3.5 stars. Sure, it isn't quite complete in its wrap but nothing that would keep you really wondering. And it is pretty short. But it is super cute.

Its a little jaunt into the world of a mystery writer who has cut himself off from most human interactions after a bad breakup. His sister insists he get a dog so that he can take it for walks and get out a bit. They go to the animal rescue looking for a dog, and wa
Nessa
Feb 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was such an adorably, humorously, precious story. Mac is rescued from a shelter (in his cat form) by Julian, who has no clue that his new cat is also a human who is cursed by his, so called, aunt. This book tickled my funny bone and it came with a little bit of mystery and passion as well. It's very well written and evenly paced. I totally enjoyed this story, and would definitely recommend it. =)
Allison
Jun 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017, favorites
This really shouldn't have worked for me, but it totally did! I don't tend to like sweet/silly books, but I loved this. I don't care much for shifter stories, but this was so not the average shifter story that it worked perfectly. I'm a dog person, through and through, but I loved Mac's cat perspective.

This is definitely something to read when you want/need to smile and feel all the mushy feels. Absolutely adorable!
MaelleMaud
Feb 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm, shifters
Julian & Marmalade
I had a good time with this one. It’s a light, easy read just as you need sometimes... Mac is funny and cute. Julian is the kind, insecure guy you want to cuddle. Their interaction as man and cat was hilarious and sooo true! 😁🐱🐭❤🐭🐱😁
Michelle
Jun 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: purchased
★★★ = It wasn't bad but it wasn't great. It was just good.

Short but fun. About witches and shifters. Liked the character's interaction and the fantasy aspects but it was very short. I wanted more!
Lisa ~ Books Are My Drugs ~
This was a fun short with a cat shifter who's cursed to stay in his cat form during the day by his witchly great-great-great-grandmother. I really enjoyed the story & would love to see more from this universe or to see the story expanded.
Manlove
Jan 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Short, amusing bit of fluff. I liked both of our heroes, but maybe I wanted just a wee bit more to the story (so I could remember it s week from now).
Tünde Kasza tóth
Sep 23, 2018 rated it liked it
A light, fun read.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
If aliens ever do land on Earth, Kelly will not be prepared, despite having read over a hundred stories of the apocalypse. Still, she will pack her precious books into a box and carry them with her as she strives to survive. It’s what bibliophiles do.

Kelly is the author of ten novels–including the Chaos Station series, co-written with Jenn Burke–and several novellas and short stories. Some of what