Start by marking “Odd Dog Out” as Want to Read:
Odd Dog Out

Odd Dog Out

It’s a dog’s life in the big city… Come join one busy dog on her journey to find her place in the world, in this third sublimely illustrated book from the bestselling, award-winning Rob Biddulph.
For busy dogs
A busy day
Of busy work
And busy play

But one dog doesn’t quite fit in. It’s lonely being the odd dog out, when all she wants to do is find her place in the world. She’s
Published August 25th 2016 by HARPER COLLINS (first published 2016)

Start your review of Odd Dog Out
Diane S ☔
Dec 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
A children's book that delivers the message, that being different is absolutely okay. The author,who is also the illustrator, uses brightly colored pictures of exaggerated length daschunds. Can't wait to read to my granddaughter.
Christi M
Dec 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
A story about embracing what makes you different than others and being proud of who you are.

In Odd Dog Out, all the dogs look and act exactly the same. All except one. She dresses differently and does activities like sports or music differently. But being different can be lonely sometimes too and she decides to leave the town where she doesn’t feel like she fits in and travel. Maybe one day she find somewhere that she can fit in.

Through different seasons and different locations she walks and
Nell
Oct 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
A great book for exploring identity and for encouraging children to appreciate differences in others. The patterns, repeated rhymes and bright colours of the illustrations make the story accessible and engaging - spotting the odd dog on each page would also encourage the children to interact with the story. A great book for KS1.
James
Aug 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic book, with a beautiful message! Rob Biddulph's book always have a lovely rhyme rhythm to them, but this one is even more special. Absolutely loved this book, and the message is one the everyone kid should follow.
Charlotte
Sep 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
The rhyme and rhythm from start to finish make this picture book an easy 'read aloud' story. It flows well and is simple in its approach, however the message that is being conveyed is huge. It highlights the importance of individuality and embraces the idea that what makes you different makes you special. It's ok to stand out from the crowd! The illustrations are also brilliant. I would highly recommend.
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Jan 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Charming, charming, charming. Odd Dog lives in a world where she does not fit in, and finally she heads out to find a new, more receptive environment to her quirks. When she does, though, Odd Dog finds she unexpectedly misses her old world.

An interesting take on creativity and one’s environment, with completely delightful illustrations. For anyone who has ever felt like an Odd Dog or who has wished to be one.
Mercy
Oct 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
"Blaze a trail
Be who you are"

I really enjoyed reading this book. This story is great for boosting confidence and being one's self. It highlights the essence of being proud and standing out. Odd dog thinks being different is not good which makes her flee to another place only to realise, with the help of another dog, how awesome it is to be different. Sometimes, it takes others for us to realise the gem in us.
Ellie Labbett
An empowering message about choosing to stand out from the crowd and feel pride at being different to everyone else. Excellent themes of self acceptance and becoming comfortable in your own skin- 'The Odd Dog Out' shows the reader that you do not have to be the same as everyone else to feel like you belong.
Biddulph employs lovely rhyming structure that flows beautifully and naturally, adding to the sense of different becoming the everyday.
Cara White
Aug 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Lovely book, it flows really nicely and is full of positivity and individuality.
Olivia Williford (LivTheBookNerd)
Such a sweet book about individuality and accepting yourself and your truth.

Thank you Harper Collins for the free copy.
Leilah Skelton
Aug 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
We’ve travelled far, then found our place
With Penguin Blue’s kite-tangled chase,
Then Grrrrr! showed us that making friends
Beats any trophy for its ends.
I loved them both, so let us see,
Can Biddulph make it three for three…?

This ‘Odd Dog Out’, though very small
Is learning how to stand up tall;
That differing from all the rest
Is NOT the same as second best.
And fitting in? That’s moot, you see
With all the world’s variety!

Empowering stuff! And far from quiet:
Each page turn is an awesome riot
Of bold
Sarah Gerard
Jul 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Good moral message. Good book to recommend to someone who was feeling left out to boost confidence and make them understand it's okay to be different
Ellis Balague
Oct 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book has some really fun illustrations!
The message it sends to children is so important- it is good to be different!
Cassandra Gelvin
Jan 06, 2020 rated it liked it
Odd Books are In.

This review originally published at http://www.drttmk.com/books/odd-dog-out.

It's basically the same premise as "Mr. Tiger Goes Wild." It takes place in a town of dogs, where all the dogs are exactly alike. They all wear the same thing. All the swimmers wear the same outfits. All the dogs on the street wear suits. "They all blend in. No dog stands out." But there's one dog who doesn't look anything like them. She's got a colorful scarf on and headphones, and she's listening to
Mary
Jan 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
In the last few years, authors, illustrators, and publishers have given us so many delightful books that help children grow in comfort, and maybe even celebrate, their unique selves, gifts, and personalities. While many of my posts this month will center around growth mindset books or activities, I’m taking a brief break from that today to bring you a “new to us” book that celebrates being yourself: Odd Dog Out by Rob Biddulph.

Part search-and-find, part wonderfully rhythmic and rhyming
Alex  Baugh
Dec 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
On a busy city street, dachshunds are busy going about their day - some in business suits, others driving in cars, still more in stripped jersey's playing soccer. Turn the page and there are more dachshunds involved in more activities. What's the most noticeable thing about them? Members of each group look exactly alike. And then there is one who's different: "Someone on this/ busy street/ is dancing to a/ different beat." Dressed in colorful stripes, matching hat, and headphone she not only ...more
Ann Santori
Jan 06, 2020 added it
Shelves: read-2020
Biddulph’s picture book tells the story of ‘Odd Dog’ — a dachshund who can’t seem to find a way to fit in where she lives and decides to travel to ‘Doggywood.’ No, this is not the doggy day-care facility at Dolly Parton’s famed theme park, Dollywood, which shares the same name, but a fictional version of Hollywood . . . where, to ‘Odd Dog”s surprise, she’ll find she might not actually enjoy being the same as everyone else.

The rich, saturated color of the illustrations and the way that Biddulph
Mehsi
A cute book about being different and how you shouldn't feel sad about it but embrace it!

I was absolutely delighted that one of my libraries added this book to their collection, I have been meaning to read it for some time.

It is a book about a dog-filled world, everyone is the same... or are they? We quickly see that there is one little dog that is totally different from everyone, she is wearing bright colours (and depending on the season various accessories (like a swim ring in summer)). She
Kristi Bernard
Dec 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Do people view you as different or quirky? Do you see yourself as different or quirky? It’s our differences that make us so special. And you should know that you are very special and that it’s okay to be you.

In a world full of busy dogs doing busy things one dog finds herself standing out. Many dogs are in suits and some in stripes and uniforms. They are swimmers, sailors, soldiers or play a violin. This one dog who stands out always finds herself doing the opposite while trying to fit in. When
Chloe Stephenson
Aug 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Bethany
Nov 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
In a busy city of normal dogs, there's one that stands out. She does her own thing and dresses her own way, but it makes her feel like she doesn't belong. So, she packs up and decides to look for a new town. She travels a long way until she finds a special place.

In a who different town, there's dogs just like her. Here, she fits in perfectly. However, she meets another dog who stands out and feels sorry for him. She's surprised when she discovers that he enjoys standing out because the most
Chris
Jan 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
One among many, a dachshund learns to be herself in “Odd Dog Out,” a clever book written and illustrated by Rob Biddulph with bold, splashy pictures and a wise lesson at heart.
A snappy dresser, Odd Dog stands out like a sore thumb in her colorful attire. The rest of the city’s dachshunds dress alike, at “…busy work and busy play.” Feeling forlorn she-dog hits the road, trying to conform in another locale.
Odd Dog Out thinks she hits pay dirt when she arrives in Doggywood, where wiener dogs wear
Literacious (Laura)
Dec 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
“Why are you trying so hard to fit in when you were born to stand out?” A quote from the 2003 movie What a Girl Wants with Amanda Bynes works so well for this little dog. Odd Dog doesn’t look or act like anyone else where she currently lives, so she goes on an adventure to find the place where she fits in. Rob Biddulph takes the idea of being yourself one step further and rather than finding a place to fit in, Odd Dog realizes that it’s okay to stand out and be yourself anywhere you want.

The
Kelsey
Age: Preschool-Kindergarten

Bright illustrations, a fun search-and-find element, and a quick story make for a pleasant read-aloud about being the "odd dog out" through personal style and choices that are opposite to the norm. Thankfully, the story doesn't end when Odd Dog leaves her hometown and finds a place full of dogs like her. Instead, another "odd dog" encourages her that there is nothing wrong with being unusual and she heads back home to much fanfare.

Although great as a shorter,
Carla Harrison
Sep 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book is a perfect book to read to young children as it had a clear message that it’s okay to be the odd one out and not have to fit in with the cliches and stereotypes were you live. This was mad clear by the use of pictures as on one page they is lots of dogs all dressed the same then on that was dressed all colourful and stood out from the rest. The odd dog goes on a trip to try find somewhere that he fits he however he fails in doing this and when he gets back to his home town everyone ...more
Nessa
Jan 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
It takes moving away to be around other people that match this dog to see that standing out isnt so bad at all!

Meet dachshund dog who doesn't really fit in with the dogs in her town. She travels throughout the seasons to find a place where she belongs. She finds her way to Doggywood and there she sees other dogs just like her! In the crowd she sees someone else that is standing out and reaches out to her. She tells the Doggywood dog that is standing out, that she knows what it is like. The
Maria Marshall
Dec 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book celebrates the uniqueness of us all and the acceptance of individuality.
Romping through a proper town filled with identical dachshunds wearing matching outfits we find Odd Dog. A dachshund sporting a long rainbow scarf and tasseled hat, riding a bike, and playing a guitar (in a violin ensemble). After determining that she's "not made like all the rest," the story follows her as she sets out to find where she belongs. The bright, colorful illustrations have a lot of fun playing with the
Immy
Aug 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
It is so difficult to grasp the concept of 'fitting in' for young children, as they realise that everyone is unique in their journey of self discovery, and apparently it is no different for dogs. One dog longs to fit in to societies norms but comes to the revelation that being different is to be special and you should never change yourself to fit others norms.

This story cleverly incorporates all these themes in a brightly coloured and energetic manner, the flow of the story helped by the
S.S.
May 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
I didn't actually read this book for myself, as I watched Tom Hardy read it on YouTube. (to be honest, I watched it more for Tom Hardy than for the story as I wasn't familiar with the book previously ... *cough*shallow*cough*) I did actually really like the story. It had a powerful message about being proud of who you are, despite being different from anyone else. I'm quite often the odd one out in the crowd myself, so it resonated really powerfully with me. And Tom Hardy did a top notch job of ...more
Ella
Jul 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
« previous 1 3 next »

• Saturday
  • The Cool Bean (The Bad Seed, #3)
  • Dasher