Start by marking “Far from Cold” as Want to Read:
Far from Cold

Far from Cold

This is the extraordinary story of God using ordinary people. Follow Mark and Gillian Newham as they leave Britain for Outer Mongolia, sharing God and discovering ever more of Him along the way.
Published June 21st 2016 by Peregrini Press

To ask other readers questions about Far from Cold, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Far from Cold

Start your review of Far from Cold
Essy K
As you read you not only learn about life in Mongolia but some relevant spiritual lessons as well. This book is an account of the missional experiences the Newhams had as they strived to bring the light of the gospel into a spiritually thirsty land recovering from Communist control. I had a personal connection with this book. Many of the thought processes, questions, and feelings the author had I could relate to. The tone was warm and informative and the events described encouraged me to think h ...more
Barton Jahn
Dec 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is the second book in the foreign missionary genre I have read for the first time in my life recently…and I have enjoyed them both immensely. I suppose that tells me that there are still good things to surprisingly discover as I get older.

Far From Cold is a superb book…on the surface simply written as a memoir of Mark and Gillian Newham’s years as Christian missionaries in the city of Ulaanbaatar and in the country town of Arhangai in Mongolia…as recounted by Gillian in the first person…w
Hilary Baggs
Aug 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A very inspiring account of a family's journey, geographically, and with God. This book is written in an easy to read format with down to earth stories and anecdotes of a tough call. A must read for those who are considering a missionary call from God.
Todd Coburn
Sep 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian-people
“Far from Cold” tells the story of two ordinary people, Mark & Gillian Newham, who God used to fan the flames of the Mongolian Christian Church in the formative years following the transition of the country from communism to democracy.

The book is a beautiful testimony to their ministry, to the beauty and depth of the Mongolian people, and to the power and the purposes of God, whose methods are usually deeper and truer than we ever imagine.

Gillian’s writing unlocks their story, taking the reader
Allen Jr.
Jul 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Ordinary people. This is the phrase that sticks with me in the wake of reading Far From Cold. This missionary biography doesn’t feature seemingly outlandish tales of miracles, of ministries accomplished by Christian superheroes. Rather, we find the story of a British couple, Mark & Gill, faithfully laboring for nearly two decades in the remote cold of outer Mongolia (1993-2011).

We are invited to enter into their relationships, to meet some of the key people that God brought across their paths in
Rachelle Sperling
Jul 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Far From Cold is a modern day missionary biography. If you aren't familiar with the genre, the goal is not to tell a person's entire life story as a general biography would do or to give the intimate details of a life as you would find in a memoir, but instead it is a testimony of what it looked for that person to follow God into foreign lands. It is a biography of a calling.

Far From Cold highlights the story of two British citizens who leave their home for the wilds of outer Mongolia. Author Gi
Marti Wade
Jul 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: missions
This memoir tells the story of Mark and Gillian’s journey from Britain to Mongolia where they were part of the amazing early decades of the modern Mongolian church. The first-generation believers and churches the Newhams serve with frequently struggle greatly and sometimes fall away and come back as they move from early enthusiasm to seasoned faith and maturity. This book does a good job illustrating what many experience as frontier church planters: a ministry that can be amazingly rewarding but ...more
Sarah Taylor
Altankhuyag Ganbaatar
Mar 27, 2018
Nina Clare
Mar 29, 2018
Gillian Newham lives and works in the Mongolian capital of Ulaanbaatar. She and her husband, Mark, have lived in Asia for more than twenty years, most of which have been spent in Mongolia. For fifteen years they lived in rural Mongolia, in a small town some 300 miles west of the capital. There they worked alongside the local Christian church as well as running a guesthouse, café and bakery. Today ...more