Start by marking “The Killing Line (Surviving the Dead, #7)” as Want to Read:
The Killing Line (Surviving the Dead, #7)

The Killing Line

(Surviving the Dead #7)

Gabriel Garrett has faced many challenges.

The battlefields of Iraq and Afghanistan, the CIA, several years as a mercenary, and the end of the world among them. But now he faces a challenge none of his training, expertise, or combat experience have prepared him for—fatherhood.

With a new family and new responsibilities, Gabriel decides to leave Hollow Rock and start over
Published June 26th 2016

To ask other readers questions about The Killing Line, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Killing Line

Start your review of The Killing Line (Surviving the Dead, #7)
Kimm Reilly
Jun 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Finally a road trip

I like James Cook but some of this series has been full of tangents that don’t advance the story much. This one at least isn’t heavily focused on flash backs. Gabe, his family, Caleb and Eric set off for Colorado Springs and, of course, manage to get themselves into a heap of trouble.
The story is more of a road trip, which was enjoyable, with random military ops tossed in. I wouldn’t mind that except it’s arguably a zombie book and there are maybe 3 or 4 zombie appearances in
Rachael Ashak-Benson
Aug 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
7 Books In & The Series STILL Continues To Surprise!

Honestly, this series stands head and shoulders above pretty much all other series’s and single military zombie apocalypse books out there. James Cook is BRILLIANT! This story and it’s characters are so captivating, so exciting..... sometimes emotional (I know? A zombie book!?)... and it’s consistently surprising. Beyond creative. I’ve been blown away by the fresh content, never published anywhere before. Never dreamt up by anyone else before!
Jose Lacasse
Jul 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: james-cook
The Continuing Adventure

Gabriel Garrett along with his soon to be wife Elizabeth and newly found daughter Sabrina (whom he never knew existed) are leaving Hollow Rock. Eric Riordan comes along for the ride and so is Jacob Hicks. They encounter obstacles along the way but make it to their destination of Colorado Springs if along the way it does seem they won’t make it.
This book had me on edge and I was sad to come to the end of it but new adventures are coming and I cannot wait to see how this a
Michael D. Hansen
Dec 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The best ....

..... thing about this book, besides all the action, is the different routes the story goes through to the final destination!!! There's not just one or two enemy groups to contend with, but a sh*t load of them and they're all different!!!! And you finally get to find out what Mike has been up too!!!! BONUS!!!! Outstanding storyline and characters!!! Now, on to book 8!!!!! Mike Hansen, Nuneaton, England
Lisa
Sep 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Do i read the nezt book?

I almost did not want too..I hate when main characters are perfect..the look good..the "only"ones who can save the day! This book seemed to be just that. But Hicks is my favorite and if he starting in the next book ..I may read it. I just hope there will be more than just Hicks who is the heroes.
Jeffrey
Apr 29, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Enjoyed the read, now on to book #8 !!
Yvette Asplund
Nov 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great story expansion

Stays true to the characters we have grown to like and admire as well as giving us new plot twists that keep you reading.
RJ
Sep 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Eric and Gabriel solidify their position and business in Hollow Rock. Gabriel is feeling the years and hardships catch up to him. He wants what Eric has; a family. It is decided and the plans are laid down. Gabriel, Elizabeth, and his newly discovered daughter Sabrina make plans for Colorado Springs, a new job, and a new start on life. Eric cannot stand it of course and decides to go with them. Caleb of course cannot be left behind, so the core group remains intact. Gabriel pulls together enough ...more
Maxine Stuart
Jul 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
As a big fan of this series I was really delighted when the author posted on Facebook, that "the killing line" was online. I started reading some time this morning at 04.00 I guess and just finished it at 21.55 (admitted, with some breaks).
I simply love Eric and Gabe to bits and can never get enough of them! Although I've seen better storyarchs within the series, I was hooked from first sentence to last. But I gotta admit, it feels like Jim is building up something big in the next volume. It ju
Marco C
Aug 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
So glad I wasn't turned off by the first book

This is a great series with throughly enjoyable characters. The first book was good, but I frankly didn't see how it could evolve into an interesting series.
I was wrong. I have grown attached to the characters in this book and I look forward to the next one.

Sure, there are a million stories with superpowers SF operators that take on whole armies and kick their butts. At the same time, we read to live vicariously through their exploits. As these type o
Justin Philip
Aug 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
One of those books that really caught my attention after reading another zombie apocalypse. Im glad I was not put off with a bit of a slow start on book 1. Character development really sticks to the reader and sometimes you will miss them when they dont have any action. Missed the silent apache on this one and some of the Ninth militia specially. Also I cannot explain but while reading this novel I felt a bit of a deja vu like I have read this months before. Waiting for book 8.
Jane
Jul 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Love this author!

I generally prefer books of this genre, more heavily involved with fighting "walkers". This author took us through the outbreak into the struggle to rebuild. The characters, the descriptions of the environment, the scenery, the character idiosyncrasies make it so clear in my mind's eye. Just like I am there. I love it! Keep Eric and Gabe et al coming. Tough wait for number eight!
melissa smith
Aug 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Hurry with # 8!!!

Another great book in the series! Each is better than the last. I only wish the wait wasn't so long, but the wait is SO worth it. Each book is different and Cook does a great job keeping the reader on edge. Gabe, Eric and Hicks are wonderful characters and I love each one. Cook can write about just one or all three of them at the same time, and have a masterpiece!
Keep them coming Cook , can't wait for the next one!!!
Julie Jones
Jul 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Hicks!! Enough said! Loved his story...love that he is back in action

Gave. Eric. And now Sabrina. This author knows how to draw out every nuance in a character to get us fully vested in their lives, their battles and ultimately the whole post zombie outbreak world. Reading these books in a way prepares you for the stormy life we all lead, and hope we will never know..
Melanie Bishop
Sep 13, 2016 rated it it was ok
William Fow
Jul 04, 2016 rated it it was ok
Boring

Let me state that I have read all the authors books. This one is the worst. For to good part. The editing and flow were good. But the story was very flat and unfulfilling. Good luck on your next book. I hope it is better.
Robert
Oct 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Wow...I was getting closer and closer to the end and was wondering how he would wrap up all the characters stories. Only to realize that book #7 was NOT the end of the series...and, there's more. So, great, as I enjoy this series and was hoping for more. ...more
Nikki
Dec 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Another great chapter in his Surviving the Dead series! I would have given it 5 stars but it started out very slow with a lot of boring back-story - like 35-40% of the book. But once the action started, I was right back in the fantastic world of Gabe and Eric.
Wancket Enterprises
Jun 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Excellent

As all the books in this series, this one is as good as it gets. The characters and the storyline holds ones interest and doesn't let go. I will be looking forward to the next book in this series with anticipation.
Catherine Hunter-Kvaal
Oct 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Excellent as always!

I love the way the author interchanges characters. James Cook has a way of keeping your interest. It's best to read the series from the beginning, but you can start anywhere and still follow the storyline.
Rick Smith
Sep 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Yet another book by Mr. Cook that I could not put down. Characters and storyline continue to steamroller you over leaving you gasping for air. Am so ready for #8
David Potocnik
Aug 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Another great book, I look forward to the next addition!
Lori Verlinghieri
Jul 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Awesome

Gabriel Garrett is the most awesome force to hit the pages since Indiana jones. A truly great addition to a great saga.
Greg
Jan 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another great installment... I am ready for #8... ok.. when???
Heather Cox
Yet another excellent book in this series.
Matt &
Jul 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The only problem with this book is the length of time from book 6. This book fit well into the series and kept my interest throughout.
Ron Clark
Oct 18, 2016
Alex Maxwell
Dec 27, 2016
Michael
Aug 25, 2016
dan
May 28, 2018
Goodreads Librari...: Book is listed under the wrong author. 3 47 Jul 21, 2016 08:00AM

• Victim Zero
  • End of Summer (Seasons of Man #1)
  • Sentinels (V Plague Legacy #1)
  • Hostile Fire (Fire from the Sky #7)
  • Reap What You Sow (Seasons of Man #2)
  • Damned Nation (Fire from the Sky)
  • Hell Fire (Fire from the Sky #8)
  • Brimstone (Fire From the Sky)
  • Ashes (Fire From the Sky #11)
  • Friendly Fire (Fire from the Sky #6)
  • Home Fires (Fire from the Sky #5)
  • Escaping the Dead (Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, #1)
  • Trial by Fire (Fire from the Sky #3)
  • Brotherhood of Fire (Fire from the Sky #2)
  • Unleashed (V Plague #1)
  • Kill Team (Galaxy's Edge, #3)
  • Genesis Game (The Fall #4)
  • Exodus in Black (The Fall Book 5)
James N. Cook is a martial arts enthusiast, a veteran of the U.S. Navy, a former cubicle dweller, and the author of the Surviving the Dead series. He hikes, he goes camping, he travels a lot, and he has trouble staying in one spot for very long. He lives in North Carolina.

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/JNCookauthor
Twitter: https://twitter.com/JamesNCook
Blog: https://survivingthedeadsite.wordpr

Surviving the Dead (8 books)
  • No Easy Hope (Surviving the Dead, #1)
  • This Shattered Land  (Surviving the Dead, #2)
  • Warrior Within (Surviving the Dead, #3)
  • Fire in Winter (Surviving the Dead, #4)
  • The Darkest Place (Surviving the Dead, #5)
  • Savages (Surviving the Dead, #6)
  • Storm of Ghosts (Surviving the Dead #8)

News & Interviews

Secrets between siblings, grandparents with grievances, parents with problems. If you're looking for serious drama, check out these new...