Start by marking “Big Mushy Happy Lump (Sarah's Scribbles, #2)” as Want to Read:
Big Mushy Happy Lump (Sarah's Scribbles, #2)

Big Mushy Happy Lump

(Sarah's Scribbles #2)

4.29  ·  Rating details ·  17,399 ratings  ·  2,451 reviews
Sarah Andersen's second comics collection picks up right where the first left off - huddled under a pile of blankets avoiding the responsibilities of the real world. These new comics (and illustrated personal essays!) follow the ups and downs of the unrelenting self-esteem roller coaster that is young adult life: budgeting woes, cramps, the nuances of sweater theft, and th ...more
Published March 7th 2017 by Andrews McMeel Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Big Mushy Happy Lump, please sign up.
Brittany This isn't a site where you can read digital versions of the books. This is just intended for creating lists, rating books, sharing them with friends,…moreThis isn't a site where you can read digital versions of the books. This is just intended for creating lists, rating books, sharing them with friends, etc. Try your local library to find the actual books. Most libraries lend ebooks as well!(less)
Katsuro Ricksand It's nine months and three days as I type this, since it was released March 7th.

·  17,399 ratings  ·  2,451 reviews

Start your review of Big Mushy Happy Lump (Sarah's Scribbles, #2)
karen
Dec 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
congratulations, 2017 goodreads choice winner in graphic novel & comics!!

oooh, goodreads choice awards semifinalist for best graphic novel! what will happen?

photo IMG_9464_zpsfzyjhi4o.jpg

this is both very similar to and very different from Adulthood Is a Myth.

thematically, much of the same ground is covered: procrastination, social awkwardness, the joy of comfortable clothes, the irritants that go along with being female, self image, and the bullying inner voice we all have that keeps our ego in check.

however, while adulthood was a collection of unrelated cartooncomics!!
Aneela ♒the_mystique_reader♒
Jan 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Sarah Andersen is the "Queen of Relatable Humor". I laughed at every single page saying "Yeah, I can totally relate to this and this and this and......."

The way she has illustrated social anxiety and over-thinking is just superb. With her awesome sense of humor she has become my favorite author. Love her a lot!

I can't wait to get a copy of Big Mushy Happy Lump for myself and I am already waiting (eagerly) for the next one. Yes, yes, I am that greedy for her books!

Here are some of my favorite pages:

That's exactly how I s
MischaS_
It was good but nothing new. And I know it probably sounds strange because I could have said the same thing about the first book.
But before reading the first one, I knew that Sarah Andersen existed. I saw some of her work and I related to it. I still do. However, ever since reading her first book I started to pay more attention to her and realised that I was seeing her work everywhere and soon I got to know most of it.
But it is something that is slowly but steadily getting on my nerv
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
2.5 stars.

I know. I'm that mean heifer.
I love this author's work, but if I'm going to shell out my hard earned monies that I earn at a job I hate..it's got to be for some new work.
Not just a re-hash of stuff I've already seen.

For example:
 photo 19775876._SY540__zpspcw26btt.jpg

I do admit to thinking the above image is one of the most fantastical things ever, but to put it back in book two? Umm I'm not a fan of that.
There is plenty of wonderfu
Elyse (retired from reviewing/semi hiatus) Walters
"Has anyone ever told you that sometimes, maybe, you can be......"

"DRAMATIC?"

"No Baby"

"HAPPY"

Sarah Andersen's scribbles collection is ADORABLE!!!!
and hilarious, for both men and women of all ages.

Life can be messy, and painful. Sarah Andersen is sweetly funny and moving....
filled with with "personal essays on Sarah's real-life experiences".....with adult challenges!

Completely Lovable!!!

Thank You Netgalley. Andrews McMeet Publishing
Nat
Feb 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
I was mentally and emotionally spent after having read Hannah Kent’s Burial Rites, so this comic collection fit perfectly for my need of something light and easy to cheer me up. I also found Big Mushy Happy Lump a lot more enjoyable and relatable than Andersen's previous collection, so that left me with an ever bigger smile plastered on my face.

Sarah Andersen's second collection picks up right where the first left off–huddled under a pile of blankets avoiding the responsibilities of the real world. These new comics (and illus
Sheri
May 24, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction, 2017
I didn't like this book as much as the first. I didn't find myself relating to as many of the comics, and some I just didn't get at all. Maybe I'm not the right demographic?
Nostalgia Reader
Precious fuzzy book. <3333

The "I Don't Know How to Be A Person" story is gold.

Also, yes, this does contain many comics that Sarah has published on her blog and have inevitably made their way around the interwebs. But I honestly don't care that I'm paying for already published stuff, as these are life right now, and I want to have access to them on screen as well as off.

Pre-release fangirling "review" here (the one y'all liked a lot):
(view spoiler) ...more
Amalia Gavea
I know now who my ever- faithful companions for life are. Meet Mister Social Anxiety and Mister Over-Thinking while Mister Crippling Lack of Self-Confidence appears in many Oscar-worthy cameos. And these gentlemen are gloriously presented by the pen of the magnificent and ridiculously talented Sarah Andersen.

I feel so connected to the wonderful character Andersen has created. The introverted, procrastinating, awkward me was constantly nodding in agreement over every sketch. It is a g
David Schaafsma
Apr 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gn-psych, gn-women
Second collection of Sarah Scribbles, more of the same, funny, light, focused on her introversion, lack of self-confidence, social anxiety, body image, guys vs women. . . . her life, basically. Some pieces on art. I smiled throughout, sometimes laughing aloud. Adorably self-deprecating.

You don't know who this is? Here's some of her stuff:

C.G. Drews
Mar 01, 2017 rated it liked it
I really enjoyed the first Sarah Scribbles book so I was pretty excited to read this one!! It was, of course, SUPER RELATABLE for anxious introverts. Although I didn't think it was quite as relatable as the first one. For starters: I don't like cats (#allergic) and I don't steal the larger comfy sweaters of humans in my life (I don't have larger humans in my life and I don't like touching other people's clothes...no thank you). BUT!! There were comics on forgetting everything but remembering excruciatingl ...more
Megan Johnson
Apr 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
After reading Sarah Andersen's first book of comics, I couldn't resist checking this one out. Luckily, it was just as cute as the first one and just as enjoyable.

If you enjoy those cute, relatable comics that everyone seems to enjoy sharing on social media - you MUST check this out. Every one of these had me giggling and appreciating Sarah Andersen's humor. Not to mention, the artwork is so well done in it's simplicity and there's really something for everyone to enjoy.

I mentioned in my review
Alex ☣ Deranged KittyCat ☣
Sarah Andersen, I love your drawings!

description

I could say that it feels as if she can crawl inside my head and see my most intimate thoughts and frustration. But I see many other people feel the same way. So I want to thank Sarah for showing me that there are other people such as myself out there. And I hope that she will publish many more Sarah's Scribbles books/comics.

descriptio</a></span>
  <span id=Sarah Andersen, I love your drawings!

description

*I thank Sarah Andersen, Andrews McMeel Publishing, and Netgalley for this copy in exchange for an honest review.
Ahmed  Ejaz
Nov 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017, graphic-books
WOW! Again I am amazed how she has created humor out of real life situations. Adulthood is a Myth was also a relatable and humorous read. And so was this one. Another thing I liked about this comic is that, this time Sarah wrote personal essays on 'mostly she doesn't like popular things' and 'how she came to love cats' and 'her being a sweater theif'. Last one was uniquely weird. But I liked that too. :p
All in all, I highly recommend both, this one and Adulthood is a Myth. You will love them because they both are very
Nazanin
Jan 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017
3.5 Stars

Not as funny as the first book, but wasn’t that bad. Just wasn’t really great like the first one!
Nenia ☠️ Hecka Wicked ☠️ Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

Oh, Sarah Andersen. I love you the way Californians love avocados.

I've been purposely putting off reading my ARC of this book. Not because I thought it was going to be bad, mind, but because I enjoyed ADULTHOOD IS A MYTH so much that I wanted to savor the anticipation of reading this book because I knew it would be at least another year or more until Andersen published a new one. That can't be too weird, right? Surely I'm not the only person who avoids reading books they're excited about...right?

Like ADULTHOOD IS A
April (Aprilius Maximus)
Mar 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
I freaking love these books
Erin
Mar 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: written-by-women
I love these books. Sarah's Scribbles are short, witty, and hilarious. While I don't have social anxiety ( I just hate people and enjoy solitude) I do understand her battle with over thinking everything and her epic battle against her ovaries. While not as great as book 1 I still found myself giggling and nodding in agreement. Plus boyfriend sweaters are way more comfortable than your own. Highly recommend The Sarah's Scribbles collection.

Popsugar 2017 Reading Challenge: Book with a
Montzalee Wittmann
A book to bring a smile to my heart

Sarah knows how to make her art express the everyday life trials in a funny way yet with truth! Her art is fun and heartwarming and I can't help smile at the crazy antics she draws. Another winner of a book! Loved it. Will read it again before returning it to the library. Great fun!
Scarlet Cameo
Dec 23, 2016 rated it liked it
English review at the bottom

Cuando leí Adulthood Is a Myth nunca había visto nada creado por Sarah Andersen, ese fue mi primer acercamiento con su obra y puedo decir que me gustó mucho y continué, de vez en cuando, siguiéndole la pista a los post en Facebook que ella realiza, es por ello que para este libro muchos de los cuadros ya no se me hicieron novedosos o fascinantes, de hecho conforme conocí un poco más el trabajo de Andersen muchos de ellos terminaron cayendo de mi encantó, no obstante hay un aspecto que hace qu
Cute, relatable, and short, Big Mushy Happy Lump is the second installment in Sarah Andersen's comic series of personal essays titled: Sarah's Scribbles. Although I've seen shots from this book on the internet every now and then, this is the first time I've actually opened the cover of Andersen's work. Overall, I liked it. Many people can relate to the life issues threaded throughout these nonfiction comics. I think since the internet tends to showcase mass favorites I just assumed the whole book would be of the same s ...more
Korrina  (OwlCrate)
Mar 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love Sarah's comics so much and have read them for ages. Finally convinced myself to buy her new book and I'm so happy I did. I laughed out loud so many times, and so strongly relate to everything she does. I know I'll pick this book up and flick through it whenever I need a smile. If you're introverted, shy or deal with anxiety, I think you'll find a lot to relate with here.
Apr 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
I relate to this comic book on a spiritual level.

It was very funny, awfully adorable and really enjoyable.
Sam Quixote
Dec 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: best-comics-2017
Sarah Andersen follows up her Goodreads Choice Award-winning book Adulthood is a Myth with Big Mushy Happy Lump, which is essentially more of the same - if it ain’t broke, eh?

Andersen’s strips are humorous and self-deprecating snapshots focusing on her insecurities, low self-esteem, lack of confidence, social awkwardness, period pains, and general self-loathing (procrastination) couched within drawings of cute big-eyed/small-bodied figures.

That might sound a bit too neurotic but Andersen turns
Jessi ♥️ H. Vojsk
Dec 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Again, a super early christmas present from my wonderful boyfriend.

I loved her frist book and I'm also in love with her second book.
I will continue reading every comic she makes. You can't stop me! :D

Cyndi
Dec 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book has gotten a lot of hype and I wondered if any of it was justified. It is. The art is simple and adorable while hitting so many issues right on the head. Of course I loved the panels we’ve all seen so many times of the heroine spending conservatively everywhere but the book store. Most of us readers would happily spend more money on books. But there are also excellent panels on puberty, college debt, and periods. Definitely worth reading for a few chances to get a chuckle at real life. ...more
☽¸¸.I am¸¸.•*¨ The ¸¸.•*¨*Phoenix¨*•♫♪ ☾
Untitled

Things me and Sarah have in common:

1. we both are artists
2. we both love books
3. we both have a rabbit
4. we are 100% awkward
5. literally everything else.

Untitled
Whitney Atkinson
I loved the first book in this series and I think this one was just aight. It was weird how half of these comics could stand for themselves, but the last half of this book had kinda a storyline? Idk. Book one had a lot more moments that I took pics of to send to friends, but this one did make me smile a couple times.
Jilly
For what it is, this is cute and relatable.

Bhavik (Semi Hiatus)
May 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: comic
Okay...so this book is basically memes rolled into one book...Relatable memes btw.
Or rather wonderful illustrations about a women and what she goes through in her life.
Some were funny af, some hit home and some just annoyed tf after some time( Eg : sweater stories).
All in all a good one , not one I would buy tho sadly.
Goodreads Librari...: Please correct page count 2 19 Feb 05, 2019 06:00PM
Goodreads Choice ...: Big Mushy Happy Lump - July 2018 8 40 Jul 15, 2018 01:22PM
Madison Mega-Mara...: #8 Big Mushy Happy Lump by Sarah Andersen 1 8 Mar 27, 2017 04:49PM

• Lady Stuff: Secrets to Being a Woman
  • Heart and Brain: An Awkward Yeti Collection
  • The Prince and the Dressmaker
  • All My Friends Are Still Dead
  • If My Dogs Were a Pair of Middle-Aged Men
Hello! I’m Sarah and I’m a cartoonist and illustrator. I graduated from the Maryland Institute College of Art in 2014 and currently live in Brooklyn. My comics are semi-autobiographical and follow the adventures of myself, my friends, and my beloved pets.

Sarah's Scribbles (3 books)
  • Adulthood Is a Myth (Sarah's Scribbles, #1)
  • Herding Cats (Sarah's Scribbles, #3)
“I always imagined that cats were the Paris Hiltons of the pet world: They didn't quite deserve all the attention but they got it anyway.” 23 likes
“I am a lump.
A big, mushy, happy lump.”
17 likes