Start by marking “The Slanted Life of Emily Dickinson: America's Favorite Recluse Just Got a Life!” as Want to Read:

"Rosanna Bruno’s speculative look at Emily Dickinson’s social media feed is so hysterical you may find yourself with a case of the vapors."--Alison Bechdel

America’s favorite recluse just got a life! With her distinctively funky drawing style and insightful wit, artist Rosanna Bruno presents a cross-generational Dickinson for the 21st century.

Emily Dickinson said: “Tell al
Published March 7th 2017 by Andrews McMeel Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Slanted Life of Emily Dickinson, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Slanted Life of Emily Dickinson

Aneela ♒the_mystique_reader♒
"Tell all the truth but tell it slant."

An enjoyable graphic novel with a clever idea!

The writer has cleverly portrayed Emily Dickinson's life story with the help of Emily's poetry. The novel is divided into 5 chapters - Life, Work, Social Life, Nature and Time and Eternity. I loved how writer showed how would her Facebook, Instagram and Yelp profile would look like if Emily was present in modern times. What would be her favorite acronyms and emojis. It was a quick and fun read.

I received an
maria eduarda
Jan 01, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
1.5/5

Copy provided by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Jeimy
Jan 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If you merely like Emily Dickinson's poetry you will find yourself laughing aloud at some of the situations the author places her in. Bruno has a vivid imagination and has given a 21st century twist to some of Dickinson's poems and lines. I was going to post many of them on Litsy, but ended up with screenshots of more than 10% of the book. Rest assured, I will be buying at least one copy for my classroom library and already have the perfect activity to go with it.
Suzze Tiernan
Dec 24, 2016 rated it liked it
Although Emily Dickinson was a recluse, the author uses lines from her poems to imagine her life, her thoughts, even her social media presence. There were some funny moments, but mostly this was just okay. I'm not a big fan of her poetry, so would be interested to hear what a fan of hers thinks of the book. Thanks to NetGalley for the copy for review.
Ashly Lynn
Jan 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Literature lovers. Fans of Emily Dickinson.
Recommended to Ashly by: Received a free copy from Netgalley for review.
Synopsis

Emily Dickinson lived a pretty reclusive life from what we know of her, but what would have happened if she had been given the ability to be active on social media or the opportunity to try out weird hobbies we now enjoy? That’s what Bruno explores in this short graphic novel. Bruno plays with the idea of what Dickinson might have been like if she’d lived in the 21st century with all of us.

The Slanted Life of Emily Dickinson: America’s Favorite Recluse Just Got a Life! by Rosanna Bruno

Nissa
Dec 31, 2016 rated it liked it
I recognized many lines and laughed out loud at this offbeat take on Emily Dickinson the person and how she might fit into a more modern society. I found myself wishing for more - more vignettes, more details, more pages.
Amy Firman
Dec 28, 2016 rated it liked it
I received an advanced digital copy of this book from Netgalley to review.

"Tell all the truth but tell it slant"

Rosanna Bruno takes a humorous approach to what Emily Dickinsons life might have been like in the 21st century based on lines from her poems. The book is divided into chapters similar to the sections of Dickinsons complete works such as life, nature and time & eternity. Each page is largely an illustration to fit in with a line of poetry, we see what Emily Dicksons facebook and dat
Theediscerning
Jan 22, 2017 rated it did not like it
Rosanna Bruno makes a mess, sometimes, according to her biographical strapline. Well I sure wish this one hadn't been published. Not knowing nearly enough about the subject here I actually now know less, due to this ungainly, slapdash pile of doodah. It quotes the same lines and verses multiple times, leaps from one subject to another and right back again, never begins to think of being funny, and taught me so little I really have no idea why it got the green light. It smacks of a knowing in-jok ...more
Anusha Narasimhan
I just finished off reading the complete poetry collection of Emily Dickinson. With that fresh in mind, it was fun to read this book. The author takes the words from Dickinson's poems and tries to imagine her life from a humorous angle. This book didn't make me laugh out loud, but it was somewhat amusing.

Note: I received a free copy of this book from the publisher.
Sophie
Feb 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Feels like a zine, in a great zine kind of way, but not in a great book kind of way. \_(ツ)_/ ...more
Mainon
So this is essentially a collection of Emily Dickinson's imagined social media postings -- Facebook profile, tweets, instagram photos, and the like. Snippets of her poetry are scattered throughout, in a way that makes them seem related to the theme of the post.

Some of it is legitimately amusing, but I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as I expected. Some of the jokes seemed forced, and others just more mean than funny. On the upside, it was a short read, and was a fun way to spend a few minutes eve
Wayne McCoy
Mar 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'll admit that I had a few eye-rolling moments when I began reading Rosanna Bruno's 'The Slanted Life of Emily Dickinson: America's Favorite Recluse Just Got a Life!,' but by the end, it had won me over.

There isn't a lot known about the life of Emily Dickinson, so Rosanna Bruno invents one based on what we do know. She also imagines what this poet might be doing in our modern age, so there are OKCupid, Yelp and other social media pages. There is a review of her house as an airbnb. There is fict
Heather Erosky
Dec 31, 2016 rated it liked it
Rosanna Bruno's unique artwork and playful imaginings about Emily Dickinson in modern times are both clever and amusing. Some snippets were difficult to read, which lowered my overall opinion of this book. Additionally, Bruno used some of Dickinson's lines repeatedly as opposed to working with fresh material. Repetition can be enjoyable in poetry, but the use of it here came off as laziness. This book is best suited for die-hard Dickinson fans who are looking to read a quick, lighthearted humor ...more
Olivia
Jan 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
Delightful!!
My freshman year of college I took a "Whitman & Dickinson" class, wherein the sole thing we did every day was analyze Whitman and Dickinson poetry. So I have a special fondness for Emily Dickinson. Her poetry baffled, confused, and amazed me.
I don't read a lot of poetry nowadays, but when I came across this graphic novel, which is a re-imagined life of Emily Dickinson with modern day references, I knew I had to read it at once. And now having finished it, I really recommend any
Abby (Miss Abigail)
Dec 30, 2016 rated it liked it
I'm typically not a graphic novel reader, but I am a huge Dickinson fan and so I thought it was worth trying something new.
I think it's important to mention that this is not something a student studying Dickinson should read. Obviously, this is designed to be taken as comedy, but facts and fiction have an unbelievable power for getting mixed up in your head - best to wait until the exams are over in my opinion.
If like me, you've studied Dickinson in the past and enjoyed her work and life, this m
Candice
Jan 16, 2017 rated it did not like it
I can remember reading Emily Dickinson's work when I was younger and finding it very interesting. When I saw that a graphic novel was being made that gave her life and writing a twist, I requested it for review. I received this e-ARC from the publishers through Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

This is a very short graphic novel that takes some lines from Emily Dickinon's poems and creates a modern tale from it. What would happen if Emily was on Facebook or Twitter? What if she was tir
Juli Rahel
Dec 27, 2016 rated it liked it
I've grown more appreciative of Dickinson's poetry in the last few years so when I saw Bruno's take on her life I thought it would be a fun exploration of a fascinating person's life. Although not every page works, there is some genuine fun to be found in these pages!

'The Slanted Life of Emily Dickinson' casts a fascinating and slanted, see what I did there, light on Emily Dickinson. Transferring some of her poems and some of the myths about her life into the 21st century, Bruno allows Dickinson
Carla Johnson-Hicks
This was a quick humorous read. Rosanna Bruno used lines from Dickinson's poems to show her life in the modern world. This graphic novel is divided into 5 chapters - Life, Work, Social Life, Nature and Time and Eternity similar to the sections of Dickinson's complete works. I loved the section where Emily was an advice columnist who answered letters using snippets of her poems. Her facebook profile, instagram, dating profile etc. showed her fascination with death, love of nature and her reclusiv ...more
Mrs. P
Dec 23, 2016 rated it really liked it

Quick funny read. I love how the lines of her poems are the basis of the author's creations. Since I can't turn off my teacher thoughts, I couldn't help but fantasize about what a great assignment I could create based on this book (using it as a mentor text, of course). This couldn't have plopped into my life at a better time as we are reading several of Dickinson's poems in our next unit. I can't wait to share some of Bruno's creations with my kids!

*Thanks to Netgalley for the ARC.
Danielle Routh
Dec 21, 2017 rated it it was ok
Yeah... this one wasn't as fun as I thought it would be. Not a whole lot of structure, and Bruno chose to work with the same ~10 or so snippets of Dickinson's poetry as inspiration rather than utilizing other excerpts. Some bits were funny, but overall, just a pretty meh read.
Janet Slipak
Jan 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
DESCRIPTION:
Published March 7th 2017 by Andrews McMeel Publishing
ISBN 1449481353 (ISBN13: 9781449481353)

“Rosanna Bruno’s speculative look at Emily Dickinson’s social media feed is so hysterical you may find yourself with a case of the vapors.”–Alison Bechdel

Emily Dickinson said: “Tell all th
Terri
Jan 26, 2017 rated it liked it
The Slanted Life of Emily Dickinson is a fun graphic novel by Rosanna Bruno that tries to reimagine the life of the famous poet by filling in the wide gaps of what is known about her life with what she may be like in the modern age. From musings on what her social media accounts might look like to her faithful canine companion, the book uses a combination of humorous speculation and actual poetic quotations to pull the work together.

Some of the premises in this book made me chuckle (the Faceboo
Dipali
Feb 14, 2017 rated it liked it
** A copy of The Slanted Life of Emily Dickinson was provided by the publisher and NetGalley in exchange for an honest review **

If you're a literature buff like I am, you will enjoy this interesting and quirky take on Emily Dickinson. I loved the juxtaposition of Dickinson's poetry along with more modern aspects of life today. I particularly loved Bruno's ideas on Dickinson's potential social media presence. This is a great book to learn a little bit more about Dickinson's life and enjoy some of
Betty Jamison
Mar 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
There is so much in the 90-something pages of this book to enjoy! I found myself wanting to read all of Dickinson's poetry after this (all 1,700+ of them). If you know a lot about the poet, then yes, you can love this on many levels, but I did not know much and I found lots to laugh about. The Airbnb and the Yelp pages are hysterical, as are the O.K. Cupid and Facebook pages. But I also really love the fake scholarly publications on the poet. Gluten free Emily? There is a poem there. I have orde ...more
Tammy
Mar 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a fun book to read. The author uses witty illustrations to offer us fun facts into Emily Dickinson's life and how she would act if she was in the modern world of social media. The drawings were amazing! I thoroughly enjoyed the book and I am hoping for a sequel.
Emi Bevacqua
May 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love how this compact graphic comic manages to convey Emily Dickinson's outwardly submissive actually subversive èlan by transporting her to the 21st century. Rosanna Bruno indeed, with her clean and edgy art and humor, judges tenderly of America's favorite reclusive poet.
Patrick
Apr 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
A solid introduction to the life and work of one of America's greatest poets. There are some fun and interesting combinations of clever drawings and poem excerpts, they create a solid combination of information and art.
Hannah
Oct 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Cute and had some fun nuggets of info, but I think it may be more enjoyable for an Emily Dickinson die-hard who will get all the subtle jokes as well as the obvious ones. It was a nice Kate Beaton-esque hour's read, though!
Bonnie Kernene
Jan 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 150for2017
I loved this book! It was clever and funny. I enjoyed reading about Emily in social media, etc. Imagining her in modern day society. It made me giggle the whole way through. Bravo!
Caitlin
Cute, quick read. No story line to follow, but a funny take on Dickinson's life and legend.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Book cover for The Slanted Life of Emily Dickinson 3 12 Nov 18, 2016 10:52AM
  • The Case of the Fire Inside (Bad Machinery, #5)
  • Sticks Angelica, Folk Hero
  • A Loaded Gun: Emily Dickinson for the 21st Century
  • Walking Your Octopus: A Guidebook to the Domesticated Cephalopod
  • Prison Island: A Graphic Memoir
  • How the World Was: A California Childhood
  • Lovers' Lane: the Hall-Mills Mystery (A Treasury of XXth Century Murder)
  • Copycat: and a Litter of Other Cats
  • The Can Opener’s Daughter
  • Thoreau, la vida sublime
  • Copperhead, Vol. 3
  • The Three Escapes of Hannah Arendt: A Tyranny of Truth
  • The Crabby Condition (The March of the Crabs #1)
  • Amelia Cole and the Unknown World