Start by marking “Every Body Yoga: Let Go of Fear. Get On the Mat. Love Your Body.” as Want to Read:
Every Body Yoga: Let Go of Fear. Get On the Mat. Love Your Body.

Every Body Yoga: Let Go of Fear. Get On the Mat. Love Your Body.

4.35  ·  Rating details ·  1,194 Ratings  ·  255 Reviews
From the unforgettable teacher Jessamyn Stanley comes Every Body Yoga, a book that breaks all the stereotypes.

It’s a book of inspiration for beginners of all shapes and sizes: If Jessamyn could transcend these emotional and physical barriers, so can we.

It’s a book for readers already doing yoga, looking to refresh their practice or find new ways to stay motivated.

It’s a ho
Published April 4th 2017 by Workman Publishing Company

To ask other readers questions about Every Body Yoga, please sign up.
Jessica I agree. While I loved this book, it really is geared towards adults who have had some life experience and might be hesitant to try yoga due to…moreI agree. While I loved this book, it really is geared towards adults who have had some life experience and might be hesitant to try yoga due to deep-seated body issues, and she does use some adult language and situations.(less)

Book Riot Community
Out in April (I know!), Stanley’s book is beginner-and-advanced guide to yoga basics; there are incredible photos of each asana featuring bodies of all shapes and colors, along with notes on how to safely find comfort in each of them. But like yoga itself, this isn’t a book about how to make shapes or find a way to make your body twist in impressive ways.

It’s about the “why.”

This book is half about why one would ever want to try yoga, how one could ever find a beginning, and it’s half about why
Vikki
Jun 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaway, netgalley, yoga
This book is a great guide for anyone that is uncomfortable with their body and hesitant to do yoga. Jessamyn goes through how to use props as well as the type of yoga and yoga class etiquette. She makes the readers feel at ease with telling her journey into yoga and her feelings about being bigger than what she perceived as socially acceptable.

I gave this book 4 out of 5 stars on Goodreads.

I received a free advanced copy of this book from NetGalley for review consideration.
Taryn Pierson
May 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Jessamyn Stanley could get anyone excited about yoga. The whole point of her book is that everyone can benefit from yoga, no matter your size, age, or ability. I have really enjoyed incorporating a home yoga practice into my weekly routine, and while I’m not super into books about fitness, Every Body Yoga was affirming and encouraging in every way. It’s sort of a how-to and memoir in one, with stories about Stanley’s life and how she came to yoga as well as instructions for basic poses and seque ...more
Elaine
Nov 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I need a paper copy of this amazing book! This is the inspirational story of someone who struggled to fit into the classic image of a yoga practitioner but was resilient and determined, so much so that she truly is inspiration in encouraging others to persevere and have a go. The book is part memoir about the author’s experiences and also celebrates some of her achievements, gives background information on the different types of yoga and equipment options but it is also a fun guide to basic yoga ...more
Ace
Jan 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
4 stars
⛤⛤⛤⛤

Let me start by saying that I have done yoga before and I found it to be energising and after my lunchtime classes I did go back to the office feeling light and perhaps a little happier sounding than my regular office self. But I didn't keep up "the practice" as it's referred to here. I picked up this book to see if there was a way to perhaps pick up some tips for doing a bit of yoga on the boat, its winter here and I may be eating a fair bit of wintery food, phenomenal that it tastes
Kelly
Real, raw, and empowering. Stanley not only offers up compelling arguments for starting a yoga practice and a guidebook through which anyone can begin, but she offers up deeply personal stories about her own life, about hitting rock bottoms, about accepting herself as she is and loving herself because of those things. A powerful book to hand to anyone who has dealt with feeling like they don't fit in or their bodies are "wrong" for any reason. Also a powerful book for those curious about yoga bu ...more
Diana
Dec 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
There is a lot that I like about this book, and the funny thing is taht I learnt of this amazing woman before getting the chance of reading the book, and I was already in awe: she had to struggle as she didn't seem to fit in the "clasical, stereotypical" image of a yoga practitioner, but she kept on and after various struggles she won. She showed the world you don't need to be skinny, or white, or spend tns of money on clothes or equipment to practise yoga and have fun and relax doing it.
So I li
Peg
Every Body Yoga is an illuminating how-to-book, for anyone wanting to learn yoga. This instructional guide is much more, though than just a book on yoga poses. Every Body Yoga is Jessamyn Stanley’s life story. Jessamyn shares her experiences, her struggles, her agony and her accomplishments with the reader.

The author’s devotion and desire to teach the beginner is clearly depicted in this book. She has detailed yoga illustrations, and inspirational words of encouragement sprinkled throughout it.
Kristie
Jan 28, 2017 rated it liked it
I thought I may not want to continue reading this book in the very beginning. Jessamyn started out talking out her first yoga class and how miserable it was. I was not feeling it. Fortunately, I knew that this book would not continue to discuss how much she did not like yoga and so I continued.

The first half of the book was mostly about yoga and gave a lot of background information on yoga. I was expecting more about Jessamyn. This was remedied in the second half of the book, where Jessamyn star
Oct 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley, yoga, fat
When I wrote this review, there was only one other review in Goodreads, and the reviewer didn't like how this book wasn't more about Yoga, and the poses, and what kind of yoga book is this anyway. And, at first, when I started to read this book, I wondered the same thing. Why is there so much text? Why am I having to read about so much before I read about the yoga itself.

But, in actually reading this book, I realized that this is more than just a yoga book. You can probably get lots of those at
Kathryn
Apr 21, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2017
I so appreciate Jessamyn Stanley stepping up and out for full figure men and women. The title of the book Every Body Yoga: Let Go of Fear, Get On the Mat, Love Your Body. was so well thought out and meaningful. Yet, her use of profanity especially the "f" word was a huge disappointment to me. I feel as though she was throwing it in my face to shock me. I am not a prude, I just appreciate and to some degree expect people to keep profanity where it belongs and not use it as shock value. Her messag ...more
Tami
Jan 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Copy received from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Jessamyn Stanley is such an inspiration! She's not your stereotypical ideal of a yoga practitioner - i.e. a tiny white girl. I thought that her personal history and everything she's gone through to become who she is was lovely. I enjoyed reading it.

Besides the motivational story of Jessamyn, this book is also full of helpful tips, advice, and encouragement to anyone who is looking to practice yoga. I was already a lover of yoga and a
Rachel León
Jun 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017, read-in-2017
An excellent book for anyone interested in trying yoga, but are fearful or intimidated. It was a nice kick in the pants for me to start a more regular and consistent practice.
Angie
May 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
As soon as I saw the title and cover for Every Body Yoga, I knew I had to read it. In the mean time, I looked up Jessamyn's website, then soon got lost in a sea of YouTube videos of her. She is amazing! As a fellow fat, black, queer Instagram yogini, I was simply in awe of her. This book is part memoir and part beginner's guide to yoga, complete with a few yoga sequences to get you started.

I absolutely loved Every Body Yoga. Jessamyn has a very distinct voice. She tells it like it is. She's very
Viv JM
This is a really good and accessible introduction to yoga. The author intersperses sections on the history and practice of yoga with her own personal story of how she came to love and accept her body with the help of yoga. The book contains descriptions and illustrations of yoga poses and flows but I like also that Jessamyn emphasises yoga as a way of life/ethical practice not just a fitness practice. Her flows aren't called things like "flow for rock hard abs", they have great names like "I Wan ...more
Kelsey
May 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love this book. As a not small someone who has been doing yoga for almost two years now, Every Body Yoga is a much needed breath of fresh air. While I've been fortunate enough to be a part of a yoga studio where I am just one of many varied body types, not everyone has that experience and inclusion is sometimes hard to come by in the yoga community. While a lot of teachers and practitioners preach about body acceptance no matter what, yogis are still often portrayed as tiny, thin white women. ...more
Sian Lile-Pastore
Mar 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is aimed at people who have never done yoga and beginners - and as someone who has been practicing for a while I kinda thought there wouldn't be that much new for me here. And I was wrong. Main thing, was it talked quite a lot about adapting poses for larger bodies, something which I haven't read about (or even talked about at yoga training) so that was great. I also loved all the pictures - of jessamyn, but also of other yoga teachers who didn't look like 'typical' yoga teachers.

Ther
GONZA
Oct 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is, in my opinion, the best book about yoga that I've ever read and Jessamy is a goddess! For the first time in my life I thought that I could handle some positions even if I'm far from being thin and as flexible as a piece of wood. I even think is a great book to improve self esteem and braveness.

Questo é, secondo me, il miglior libro sullo yoga che mi sia capitato di leggere ultimamente e Jessamy é fighissima. Per la prima volta in vita mia ho pensato che avrei potuto fare qualche posizio
Denise
Jun 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
If you are just dipping your toes into yoga and are worried about having the 'wrong kind of body' for it, this book will be awesome for you. There are awesome photos, some good yoga flows and a bit of jesssmyn's life story as well.

Since I'm a lapsed student (and feeling body shame about returning to class ), it didn't work for me as well. I could have done with a whole book of pictures, or more detailed talk about her practice and progression, more yoga sets, etc. I wanted more! I would love a s
Sarah Evan
I adored reading this book! I had just picked up practicing yoga after a very long hiatus, and Jessamyn's no-nonsense approach to practicing is refreshing and takes away any pretentions you may experience about practicing yoga. She is body positive around size as well as ability, so for anyone struggling with these feelings of limitation, you will apprecaite her teachings (including Q&A) on getting into a yoga practice/poses.

She sets it up where the first part is about her story with yoga, a
Emily Joyce
Jul 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: to-buy, yogahhhh
oh lord its so good. Jessamyn's self reflections are mixed in alongside yoga instructions, focusing on building a home practice. The notes are the same reminders you hear from your instructor at the studio. I love that she offers a variety of sequences for practitioners to add together to make flow. Also, there is so much black, fat, femme joy bursting out of these pages. A much needed addition to the modern yoga canon.
Mycala
Jun 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017, inspiration, memoir
I began following Jessamyn on Instagram a year or so ago, maybe longer, and she has been my heroine for quite some time. I love her focus on loving yourself, being comfortable in your skin, letting go of the crap from the past and taking back the power from those who have caused us to doubt ourselves and live in pain. I also love that she shares the yoga philosophy and the many kinds of yoga and encourages us to find what works for us.
Antoinette Scully
Apr 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Every Body Yoga is a mix between a memoir and a guidebook. Jessamyn Stanley uses personal antidotes to move you through poses and sequences, as well as motivate you to get on the mat. As someone who as been away from yoga for a while, I found her ease into it very helpful. I also liked how it gradually added harder sequences toward the end.
Sandy
Dec 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Amazing!! As a newbie to yoga, I found her posing tips/types, discussions and lessons learned sections to be very enlightening. Jessamyn is so honest and frank, which makes it a pleasure to read! Highly recommend!! 👍🏻
Lauren Kelly
Nov 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
She had me at "What the fuck is the Eight-Limbed Path?"
I'll surely be buying a copy of this to reference during my home practice.
Joanna Taylor Stone
Apr 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
There are so many things to say about this book, but everything about it resonated with me. I finished basically twitching to get on my mat. Being free from the idea that yoga is about contorting your body for the sake of weight loss or sheer physical strength is so refreshing.
Lisa
Apr 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a book that is sure to be inspiring for everyone who thinks that yoga isn't for them because they aren't thin enough or in shape enough. Jessamyn's blend of memoir and introduction to yoga shows that anyone can do yoga, if they have the have a willingness to learn. I know when I first saw Jessamyn's photos on Instagram that I was amazed at her yoga abilities.

Thank you to Netgalley for providing me with an advanced copy of the book.
Samantha
Nov 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
I have a new hero. Her name is Jessamyn Stanley. She practices and teaches yoga and dishes out truth the way Chick-fil-A dishes waffle fries (nod to Jessamyn). I have never met this lovely, brilliant, hysterically funny woman, but I would love to. Since I live only a state away, it could happen. I found her new book on NetGalley and am thankful for a chance to read a pre-pub version in exchange for a fair and honest review. If you're looking for a strict "how to" yoga guide, this may or may not ...more
Kristin Boldon
Jun 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017, borrowed
A great, honest, body-positive guide to yoga and being at peace with your body on the mat wherever you are in life. Like hanging out with a smart, confident, encouraging friend.
Andrea Lorenz
Jessamyn Stanley is known for her fresh Instagram account, posting pictures of herself in all kinds of yoga asanas. While this might not seem revolutionary to most, Jessamyn isn't your typical yoga practitioner - waifish and white. She's a big black lady who can twist into the most epic asanas I've ever seen. I've been waiting for this book for a while, because I love yoga and I love seeing Jessamyn's Insta and because we need it. Yoga is good for most people - I know that it works for me. I'm m ...more

Nonfiction Deals

$12.99 $3.99
    $15.99 $2.99
  • By Myself and Then Some
    $11.74 $1.99
  • The Fifth Agreement: A Practical Guide to Self-Mastery (A Toltec Wisdom Book)
    $9.99 $2.49
  • Wish You Happy Forever: What China's Orphans Taught Me About Moving Mountains
    $14.74 $1.99
  • The Return: Fathers, Sons and the Land in Between
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Prize: Who's in Charge of America's Schools?
    $12.99 $2.99
  • Founding Mothers
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Through a Window: My Thirty Years with the Chimpanzees of Gombe
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Undeniable: Evolution and the Science of Creation (Kindle Edition)
  • Around My French Table: More Than 300 Recipes from My Home to Yours
    $19.99 $2.99
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Ida: A Sword Among Lions
    $8.24 $2.99
“I wrote this book for every fat person, every old person, and every exceptionally short person. I wrote it for every person who has called themselves ugly and every person who can’t accept their beauty. I wrote it for every person who is self-conscious about their body. I wrote it for every human being who struggles to find happiness on a daily basis, and for anyone who has ever felt overwhelmed by the mere act of being alive. I’ve been there. We all have. Yoga” 3 likes
“At what point would you finally say, 'I've had enough of hating my body.” 2 likes