Start by marking “A Book That Takes Its Time: An Unhurried Adventure in Creative Mindfulness” as Want to Read:
A Book That Takes Its Time: An Unhurried Adventure in Creative Mindfulness

A Book That Takes Its Time: An Unhurried Adventure in Creative Mindfulness

Take time to breathe. Take time to create. Take time to reflect, take time to let go. A book that’s unique in the way it mixes reading and doing, A Book That Takes Its Time is like a mindfulness retreat between two covers.

Created in partnership with Flow, the groundbreaking international magazine that celebrates creativity, beautiful illustration, a love of paper, and lif
Published October 3rd 2017 by Workman Publishing Company

To ask other readers questions about A Book That Takes Its Time, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Book That Takes Its Time

Start your review of A Book That Takes Its Time: An Unhurried Adventure in Creative Mindfulness
Faith Tydings
Oct 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I have only skimmed through this book at the bookstore...literally, sitting on the floor, thumbing through this entire book until I decided that I had to have it. There are so many little pop-outs and added features that make this book unique and fun and a must have for everyone who loves to journal and loves to explore mindfulness and creativity. I cannot wait to own my own copy and really dive in!
Richard
Nov 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I'm a big fan of Flow magazine. This book is a collection of some of the articles that have appeared in the magazine along with some new ones on the subject of mindfulness and creativity. Some of the article I'd read before and others (even the older ones) I hadn't read. They were generally good, some of them inspiring. As with all the flow publications, the book is full fun inserts. If you are a fan of the magazine, creative projects or illustration you will probably enjoy this.
Patrycja
Nov 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is really a book of joy. It is constructed in such a unique, creative and fun way. It is filled with journals, stickers, posters, cards, all kind of punch-outs. It is a treasure with more treasures hidden inside. You can’t get bored with it. And while you work on your mindfulness, you also work on your creativity. Because mindfulness and creativity go together. There are articles in the book that talk and teach about mindfulness. There are poems, quotes, even recipes. And every page is acco ...more
Crystal Harper
Dec 27, 2017 rated it it was ok
I really enjoyed many of the creative aspects as well as the goal-setting/comfort zone portions. I found the mindfulness articles wanting. I knew the book would have a “find yourself through inner peace” component, but was disappointed with its emphasis. Personally, I would have enjoyed more emphasis on the creative aspects of the book and the emphasis on living life more fully as we slow time down by minimizing unhealthy commitments. My personal faith has prompted me to find a peace that doesn’ ...more
K.
Jun 15, 2018 rated it really liked it

Finished reading the book, but I think the projects contained herein will take me the rest of 2018 to complete. I'll add photos as I finish them. :)
Brindi Michele
I had to HAVE THIS once I flipped through it at the bookstore. I couldn't pass it up! There are so many little pop-outs and added features that make this book a unique way to explore "me time", creativity, and mindfulness. And, of course, I took my time, and loved exploring its pages :)
Chris
Good collection of essays from the magazine Flow. This book has all sorts of goodies in it - little journals, stickers, etc. Not sure whether I'll use them or not, though.
Kailey (BooksforMKs)
Jun 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
This beautiful book has postcards, stickers, small posters, removable journal booklets, and a dozen other adorable things included! You can write lists, read poetry, make a collage, write in your thoughts, or learn to do your own creative hand-lettering. There are articles about following your dreams, letting go of stress, reaching out with kindness, slowing down, and being more creative.

There are inspirational stories, beautiful poetry, and famous quotes. You'll find common sense advice about
Johannah Gage
May 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The entire book is a beautiful, meaningful experience. I know there's the initial thought that this is self-indulgent "me time" — but it's really not. It's kind of a guided journal, with a lot of tactile lessons and excercises, like drawing, collage, and cards to tear out — some to send, some to keep.

This book should be read, explored, written in, highlighted, and loved as a real hardbound book. The manufacturing of this book is top-notch, and the authors obviously put a ton of time and work in
Christy Baker
Nov 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A fun book that is a bit hard to describe, A Book That Takes Its Time is an eclectic offering of articles on mindfulness a d creativity, papercraft, simplifying, self care and savoring, hobbies and relationships. It is part activity book filled with craft and ideas and part meditation on life and philosophy. I read thru this in small bits, following some of the recipes or writing exercises in spirituality or letter writing and found a wealth of new resources to check out even as the basic concep ...more
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Jun 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Do you ever covet a book? I coveted this one.

I saw A Book That Takes Its Time at a book conference and I wanted to have it and read it right that minute. Of course it wasn't even published then, so it was impossible, but as soon as I could I bought it.

I read a bit of it. And closed it. Oh so reluctantly.

I read a bit more. Closed it. Waited. Read more. Closed it. And so on. For months.

What a wonderful reading experience.
Sharon Hall
Sep 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It took me nearly two years to finish this. But it was worth taking time, as time presented itself. Lots of good questions for reflection.
Becky
Feb 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I have had this book for 2 years in my living room... and wow- it does take some time! I avoided it for many months because it really forces you to reflect, slow down, and evaluate many areas in your life. It is a book from the “Flow” publications- crafty/ artsy/ creative. There are fun tear-out activities/ projects that focus on your life and thinking about your future experiences with purposeful goal setting. I still have several activities to complete, but this book is definitely valuable in ...more
Trish
Feb 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, 2019
This is a very inspiring book.
Kim Childress
I simply can't say enough good things about this book/journal/crafty idea/DIY/Mindfulness book.Excellent for those who love to write, to write letters, for book lovers, for crafty people, the entire concept of the book is excellent for older readers and adults, to remind us to slow down and be in the moment, and help others be in the moment while doing art work or writing letters using the postcards or other novelty items included in this book.
Four Season Reader-Carrie Nordberg
When a reader dives deep in this book, they can get lost in the chance to reflect and create. With quotes and ideas, a person can sit back and ponder the pressures and pleasures of life. The book includes cut outs to hang up, journals, stickers and papers for collaging.
This book would make a wonderful gift for that favorite lady in your life. It is colorful and beautiful with wonderful suggestions on slowing down and moving with intention. Give the gift of time and relaxation.
@fourseasonreader
Indy
Aug 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The best Flow book and the best book on mindfulness I have read so far. I highly recommend you to pick a copy of this thick book, and then take the time to breathe, to create, to reflect, and to let go while you read this book. It's a great mindfulness retreat with bound-in postcards, mini-journals, stickers, decorative papers for collaging, and many more surprises to encourage slowing down and appreciating the little things. Move slowly and with intention through the pages, and discover that sw ...more
K.L
Feb 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: coffee-table
Alright so I technically haven't finished reading this. But it's so good! There are such inspiring and eye opening things in this book, and such fun little activities hidden in between. If you need a refresh, inspration,.a distraction or just something to lift your spirits, I encourage you to pick this up.
Mar 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
It's borderline to call this a book. It is essentially a series of mindfulness articles, somewhat reminiscent of Oprah's O Magazine and Scientific American Mind with some crafting and creative projects thrown in for good measure. That's not to say I didn't enjoy reading it. It is what it is--pop psych lite.
Beth
Jan 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love this book! It is a compilation of magazine articles from the UK magazine about mindfulness and creativity called Flow. It is a beautiful book with lots of fun inserts and enjoyable articles.
Crystal Withem
Mar 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was fun to read. I loved all the helpful ideas that came with it. There was some great advice that I am going to be using. It really is a take your time book. You don't want to rush through it.
Candy
I love all Flow books. This one was an incredible investment, from the articles on mindfulness and the writing prompts to the ephemera and postcards to be mailed or pasted into art journals. Love it so much.
Heydi Smith
Jul 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adult-non-fic
This book is not a long read but it could take a lifetime to process all that it contains, but it will be a life well spent!

This book is for anyone interested in de-stressing their lives or even just making them a little brighter.
Lea
Oct 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: art, self-help
I thought this was going to be more creative/crafty but its a whole lot of mindfulness with some interactive tasks. There’s lots of good information, wtb studies sited on how it’s helpful. Definitely recommend. The artwork inside is amazing.
Catherine
May 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I’ve dipped in and out of this book for a long time and it is just beautiful. Very much inline with the magazine but with deeper dive articles and activities, curated and collected into sensible sections. A wonderful resource for self-care and quiet reflection.
Kayla
Jan 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Amazing. Full of lovely designs and words. One to revisit in the future.
Cara Absher
Feb 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
LOVED IT! super cute journal with a new activity every page! Loved the post cards and all the little surprises.
Esther Steiner
Feb 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It was like a journal, coloring book, craft-fulfilling, pondering, meandering tale all in one! Loved it!
Sooz
Jul 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful tome, packed with color, goodness, and inspiration. Plus little gifts. A great treat for the tired soul.
Elisabeth Ensor
Dec 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is an amazing book, that's more then just reading! It requires and inspires you to create, to think and to take your time with it!!! Lovely for fall/winter contemplation.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Flow Mindfulness
  • Flow 19 Days of Mindfulness
  • A Big Important Art Book (Now with Women): Profiles of Unstoppable Female Artists--and Projects to Help You Become One
  • Flower Therapy: Welcome the Angels of Nature into Your Life
  • GraceLaced: Discovering Timeless Truths Through Seasons of the Heart
  • The More or Less Definitive Guide to Self-Care: From A to Z
  • Dancing with Cats
  • Double Love (Sweet Valley High, #1)
  • Patti's Luck (Sleepover Friends, #1)
  • Blind Date
  • Best Friends (Sweet Valley Twins, #1)
  • Skinny
  • The Lawnmower Man: Stories from Night Shift
  • The Wedding Gig
  • Cain Rose Up
  • Twilight Series (set of memorial version)
  • Jim Henson's The Dark Crystal: Creation Myths, Volume 2