Start by marking “A Book That Takes Its Time: An Unhurried Adventure in Creative Mindfulness” as Want to Read:
A Book That Takes Its Time: An Unhurried Adventure in Creative Mindfulness

A Book That Takes Its Time: An Unhurried Adventure in Creative Mindfulness

Take time to breathe. Take time to create. Take time to reflect, take time to let go. A book that’s unique in the way it mixes reading and doing, A Book That Takes Its Time is like a mindfulness retreat between two covers.

Created in partnership with Flow, the groundbreaking international magazine that celebrates creativity, beautiful illustration, a love of paper, and lif
Published August 2017 by Workman Publishing Company

To ask other readers questions about A Book That Takes Its Time, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Book That Takes Its Time

Faith Tydings
Oct 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I have only skimmed through this book at the bookstore...literally, sitting on the floor, thumbing through this entire book until I decided that I had to have it. There are so many little pop-outs and added features that make this book unique and fun and a must have for everyone who loves to journal and loves to explore mindfulness and creativity. I cannot wait to own my own copy and really dive in!
Richard
Nov 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I'm a big fan of Flow magazine. This book is a collection of some of the articles that have appeared in the magazine along with some new ones on the subject of mindfulness and creativity. Some of the article I'd read before and others (even the older ones) I hadn't read. They were generally good, some of them inspiring. As with all the flow publications, the book is full fun inserts. If you are a fan of the magazine, creative projects or illustration you will probably enjoy this.
Chris
Good collection of essays from the magazine Flow. This book has all sorts of goodies in it - little journals, stickers, etc. Not sure whether I'll use them or not, though.
Patrycja
Nov 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is really a book of joy. It is constructed in such a unique, creative and fun way. It is filled with journals, stickers, posters, cards, all kind of punch-outs. It is a treasure with more treasures hidden inside. You can’t get bored with it. And while you work on your mindfulness, you also work on your creativity. Because mindfulness and creativity go together. There are articles in the book that talk and teach about mindfulness. There are poems, quotes, even recipes. And every page is acco ...more
K.
Jun 15, 2018 rated it really liked it

Finished reading the book, but I think the projects contained herein will take me the rest of 2018 to complete. I'll add photos as I finish them. :)
Trish
Feb 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, 2019
This is a very inspiring book.
Brindi Michele
I had to HAVE THIS once I flipped through it at the bookstore. I couldn't pass it up! There are so many little pop-outs and added features that make this book a unique way to explore "me time", creativity, and mindfulness. And, of course, I took my time, and loved exploring its pages :)
Johannah Gage
May 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The entire book is a beautiful, meaningful experience. I know there's the initial thought that this is self-indulgent "me time" — but it's really not. It's kind of a guided journal, with a lot of tactile lessons and excercises, like drawing, collage, and cards to tear out — some to send, some to keep.

This book should be read, explored, written in, highlighted, and loved as a real hardbound book. The manufacturing of this book is top-notch, and the authors obviously put a ton of time and work in
Crystal Harper
Dec 27, 2017 rated it it was ok
I really enjoyed many of the creative aspects as well as the goal-setting/comfort zone portions. I found the mindfulness articles wanting. I knew the book would have a “find yourself through inner peace” component, but was disappointed with its emphasis. Personally, I would have enjoyed more emphasis on the creative aspects of the book and the emphasis on living life more fully as we slow time down by minimizing unhealthy commitments. My personal faith has prompted me to find a peace that doesn’ ...more
Mar 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
It's borderline to call this a book. It is essentially a series of mindfulness articles, somewhat reminiscent of Oprah's O Magazine and Scientific American Mind with some crafting and creative projects thrown in for good measure. That's not to say I didn't enjoy reading it. It is what it is--pop psych lite.
Lea
Oct 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: self-help
I thought this was going to be more creative/crafty but its a whole lot of mindfulness with some interactive tasks. There’s lots of good information, wtb studies sited on how it’s helpful. Definitely recommend. The artwork inside is amazing.
K.L
Feb 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mindfulness
Alright so I technically haven't finished reading this. But it's so good! There are such inspiring and eye opening things in this book, and such fun little activities hidden in between. If you need a refresh, inspration,.a distraction or just something to lift your spirits, I encourage you to pick this up.
Mycala
I adore this book. It was a gift from my mother over the holidays and I have taken my time reading it. It covers topics like mindfulness, creativity and play, journaling and reflecting, creating personal rituals... it's a creative thinker's tool box of fun, pretty much. And I go back to it over and over.
Beth
Jan 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love this book! It is a compilation of magazine articles from the UK magazine about mindfulness and creativity called Flow. It is a beautiful book with lots of fun inserts and enjoyable articles.
Catherine
May 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I’ve dipped in and out of this book for a long time and it is just beautiful. Very much inline with the magazine but with deeper dive articles and activities, curated and collected into sensible sections. A wonderful resource for self-care and quiet reflection.
Crystal Withem
Mar 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was fun to read. I loved all the helpful ideas that came with it. There was some great advice that I am going to be using. It really is a take your time book. You don't want to rush through it.
Candy
I love all Flow books. This one was an incredible investment, from the articles on mindfulness and the writing prompts to the ephemera and postcards to be mailed or pasted into art journals. Love it so much.
Heydi Smith
Jul 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adult-non-fic
This book is not a long read but it could take a lifetime to process all that it contains, but it will be a life well spent!

This book is for anyone interested in de-stressing their lives or even just making them a little brighter.
Lauren  Tomlinson
Jun 06, 2018 rated it liked it
I'm not sure I liked this book. in the process of reading it you take it apart so you pretty much can never experience the book again and that just felt wrong.
Beth Jung
Oct 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Really different and fun. I like the interactive parts and it really did takes its time!
Kayla
Jan 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Amazing. Full of lovely designs and words. One to revisit in the future.
Esther Steiner
Feb 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It was like a journal, coloring book, craft-fulfilling, pondering, meandering tale all in one! Loved it!
Sarah Stewart Holland
Mar 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I LURVE an adult workbook and this is one of the best I've ever seen. It was a total delight and I was so sad when it was over.
Elisabeth Ensor
Dec 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is an amazing book, that's more then just reading! It requires and inspires you to create, to think and to take your time with it!!! Lovely for fall/winter contemplation.
Sooz
Jul 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful tome, packed with color, goodness, and inspiration. Plus little gifts. A great treat for the tired soul.
Carol
Jan 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Love all the little hands on projects. I’m still not really done with them.
Siobhan McRibbles
Feb 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Such a pleasure to read and complete - taking your time and savouring each article and story and activity is what's made me so happy I bought this book!
Tracy
Mar 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Beautiful, fun, thoughtful, joyous!
Cara Absher
Feb 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
LOVED IT! super cute journal with a new activity every page! Loved the post cards and all the little surprises.
Erin Moynihan
Mar 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: erins-favorites
I normally have a hard time with self-help or guided creative books - they often feel too “woo-woo” for me. But this book! Has changed the way I think about things! Amazing. So thankful.

• Superfoods at Every Meal: Nourish Your Family with Quick and Easy Recipes Using 10 Everyday Superfoods: * Quinoa * Chickpeas * Kale * Sweet Potatoes * Blueberries * Eggs * Honey * Coconut Oil * Greek Yogurt * Walnuts
  • Big Design, Small Budget: Create a Glamorous Home in Nine Thrifty Steps
  • RuPaul's Drag Race: Paper Doll Book
  • The Creation of Health: The Emotional, Psychological, and Spiritual Responses That Promote Health and Healing
  • Succulent Wild Love: Six Powerful Habits for Feeling More Love More Often
  • The Power of Your Spirit: A Guide to Joyful Living
  • The Science of Success: How to Attract Prosperity and Create Life Balance Through Proven Principles
  • Magnificent Mandalas Adult Coloring Book Stress Relieving Patterns (Volume 1)
  • Ask and It Is Given: The Processes
  • The Heart of Meditation: Discovering Innermost Awareness
  • Static Jedi: The Art of Hearing God Through the Noise
  • Writing Begins with the Breath: Embodying Your Authentic Voice
  • Metric Pattern Cutting for Women's Wear
  • Conquest of Mind: Take Charge of Your Thoughts and Reshape Your Life Through Meditation
  • The Forks Over Knives Plan: How to Transition to the Life-Saving, Whole-Food, Plant-Based Diet
  • The HeartMath Solution: The Institute of HeartMath's Revolutionary Program for Engaging the Power of the Heart's Intelligence
  • Chocolate  Vicodin: My Quest for Relief from the Headache that Wouldn't Go Away
  • Heart Thoughts: A Treasury of Wisdom