Start by marking “Adventure Cats: Living Nine Lives to the Fullest” as Want to Read:
Adventure Cats: Living Nine Lives to the Fullest

Adventure Cats: Living Nine Lives to the Fullest

Just when you thought you knew all there was to know about cats comes the ultimate—and unexpected—guide to taking your cat into the wild. Here are cats walking on a leash. Cats hiking on a leash. Cats tramping through snow. Cats camping. Cats kayaking, canoeing, even surfing—yes, cats who love water.

When animal writer and active hiker Laura Moss couldn’t find an online re
Published May 16th 2017 by Workman Publishing Company

To ask other readers questions about Adventure Cats, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Adventure Cats

Start your review of Adventure Cats: Living Nine Lives to the Fullest
Sheri
May 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction, 2017, cats
Cat lovers will enjoy this guide to getting outdoors and having adventures with their feline companions. This thorough book provides you all the information you need to get outside and see the world, whether it be near or far. Read the book to learn the how-to and then get out there and explore!
Fantasy and Felines
May 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book is easy to read and is just so inspiring. It tells you everything you need to know about adventuring with your cat! I'm debating whether I should do it with my cat or not.
The Candid Cover (Olivia & Lori)
Adventure Cats is one of those blogs that I stumbled across while searching for nutrition information for my own cats. Discovering this upcoming book and a whole community of cat-loving adventurists really intrigued me and has given me a whole new perspective on my feline friends. The book is very informative with its tips, stories and beautiful images of cats and their owners out in the wild.

After taking the quiz at the start of the book, it became apparent to me that neither of my cats fit the
Ashleigh Castles
Jun 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a great instructional book about taking your cat exploring outdoors.
Online Eccentric Librarian
Dec 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, arc

More reviews (and no fluff) on the blog http://surrealtalvi.wordpress.com/

Adventure Cats is beautifully presented, well thought-out, informative, and simply wonderful. By far, one of my favorite books this year; surprising considering this is a non fiction book. But the author's love of the subject, depth of information presented, and beautiful photographs make this an enjoyable read on all levels. Even better, it all makes great sense and can make your life and your cat(s) life even richer
Beverly
May 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Why not leash train your cat to enjoy quality-time outdoors. This is what I kept mulling over when my Cat rescued me, fortunately I discovered Laura Moss' "Adventure Cats" and haven't stopped smiling and planning since!

Before delving into the nuts 'n bolts of 'Adventuring' with your Cat, I must say I was impressed by the look, feel and quality of the book itself. It's brimming with brilliant color photography capturing an array of Cats harnessed and leashed in nature vs. a window box. Once past
Jessica
Oct 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: animals, 5-star
I stumbled across this book and knew I had to check it out! Adventure Cats shares the stories of 16 real life adventure cats and how their owners got them out hiking, kayaking, and even surfing. The book is divided into chapters about how to train your cat to walk on a leash/harness, first aid, tips for adventuring with your cat, dealing with weather, etc. There is also a helpful quiz to find out if your cat might be the adventuring type - one of mine is definitely not, the other could be, but I ...more
Paperclippe
Feb 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Seriously cute and I imagine seriously helpful. You bet your sweet ass I’m gonna have an adventure cat as soon as I’m able to have a kitty again. It’s gonna live in my shirt pocket and I’m gonna take it everywhere.
Becca
Dec 02, 2017 rated it liked it
This book was very interesting. Loved the anecdotes from real-life adventure cats as well as the author’s emphasis on safety and knowing your individual cat’s preferences/personality.
Oct 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful book that I can only recommend, very warmly, to all Cat Lovers, Adventurers, but also to Curious Readers.

No, Cats are not Dogs, but yes, they can definitely enjoy our company, trips and activities.

The short Tales (sometimes even Epopee) are written with heart and funny details, and always complemented with colorful and absolutely breathtaking pictures. You can actually enjoy that book without even knowing the language!

The chapters are well organized and give very useful daily tricks
Bert Z
Jul 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Most people don’t think that your feline friend can join you when hiking, camping, canoeing and many other adventurous treks, but his book proves that they can.

As a big cat lover this book had me smiling from beginning to end, it’s filled with so many beautiful stories of cats that love the outdoors, beautiful photographs of various kitties in the midst of an adventure and wonderful advice on how to have the best adventure with your cat.

As the blurb says, not all cats are content to watch the w
Bunny
May 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley, read-in-17
Received via Netgalley in exchange for a fair and unbiased review

Let's be real. I'm in this for the kitty pics.

And y'all, this book does not disappoint.

Seriously, your heart could potentially explode from reading the stories people tell about going on adventures with their cats.

Secondary (well, secondary to me, anyway), though, this book tells you how to go adventuring with your cats. And that blows my mind. So many times, we get these amazing books showing animals doing adorable things, but wi
TheCraftyLass
May 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arcs

•This beautifully photographed book came about after avid hiker, cat-lover and writer, Laura J Moss scoured the internet looking for tips on taking her beloved cat out into the wilds with her. The internet came up empty and thus AdventureCats.org was born.

•Jam-packed with helpful and informative hints and tips on equipment, training and safety; this book will help you decide (via the fun quiz near the beginning) if your cat is likely to take to the great outdoors; and if so, how best to get them
Bria
Jun 19, 2017 added it
Recommended to Bria by: Mom
Our relationship with cats is pretty weird until you start taking seriously the idea that our two species have arranged treaties to coexist. Except then our relationships with cats starts getting kinda creepy or sad. Anyway, the point is, put your cat on a leash, make some puns, spend the rest of your money on the cat, because you've decided to become entirely responsible for this living being so do it right and not solely for your own amusement, you weird rich lonely monster.
Adam
Dec 03, 2019 rated it it was ok
Good starter book for learning about adventure cats. However, a lot of information is repeated and the over all feel of the book is more of a small table top book with all its pictures and small charts with summarized information. I will be looking for something more detailed personally.
Cat
Jun 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
I could never take my cats out on an adventure. I can't get them to leave the house now to go poke around the backyard! It would be so fun to go on adventures with them like the cats in this book! Well, me and my cats will live vicariously. I'll read the stories of traveling cats and the cats will enjoy bird watching. This was a fun and informative book for traveling with your cat into the great outdoors. Adventure lovers, who also have cats who like to wander, should enjoy this book!
Katra
May 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Finally a book for folks who love the outdoors and would love to enjoy it with their furry partners. My neighborhood isn't a safe place for unsupervised exploring much to door dashing Gracie's disgust. I now have a system for getting her leash trained and outdoor approved. I don't know if she'll ever take on a surf board or skis, but this summer, Grace is getting out!

Thanks to NetGalley and Workman Publishing for making an advance reading copy available.
Liadan
May 10, 2017 rated it really liked it

I loved this book, especially the practical advice and the beautiful color photos of all the adventure kitties. While I would have liked more information on leash training, overall this book does a great job covering the basics needed to adventure with your cat, both in the great outdoors and in urban areas. I will admit, it did inspire me to get a couple harnesses for my cats, and they're currently wearing them
Leslie Jonsson
Sep 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
We're having a tropical storm here, so I am doing my share of reading while the power is still on. A heartwarming non-fiction book on how to get your cat or cats outdoors, with plenty of true life examples, pictures and helpful hints. The website the author started is fantastic, I just became an e-mail subscriber.
Ex Libris Haley
Sep 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Love this book! I've learned a lot about how to ensure my cat becomes an adventure cat and we're well on our way to that becoming a reality! Creative, fun book for cat lovers.
Crittermom
Apr 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love Adventure Cats. It is thrilling to read the stories of various cat adventurers - you may have read about some of them online and seen pictures already.  Adventure Cats offers far more.  Like AdventureCats.org it is a resource that provides helpful hints to determine whether your cat has what it takes to become an adventurer, and what type of training you need to do to make sure your cat doesn’t get frightened and is comfortable and safe.  Safety is paramount.  While it is amazing to share ...more
Liz
Aug 31, 2017 rated it liked it
Cute book with lots of stories of adventure cats and some sound advice on how to go about getting your own adventure cat. Easy read. Beautiful pictures of cats. What's not to like?
Cody Wellons
Feb 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Adventure Cats is an amazing book filled with inspirational stories and fantastic photos from incredible cats around the world. Most people never imagine that felines can surf, go kayaking or climb mountains, but this book beautifully documents all of these activities (and more) taking place. It's well-written, nicely designed and promotes safe and responsible adventuring for your cats. Highly recommended for any fan of the outdoors or animals, it's sure to motivate you to get outside!
Linden
Mar 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Adventures with humans aren’t just for dogs anymore! The author has suggestions for taking felines everywhere, from camping and hiking to rappelling and surfing. Cats, like humans, have many different personalities, and Moss suggests your personality test your animal to see if s/he might be interested in adventuring with you. The beautiful photographs are inspiring to anyone considering a feline adventure trip.
Clare O'Beara
May 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a smashing look at cats who share outdoor adventure with their owners. We're advised on harnesses, RFID tagging, vaccinations, warm jackets, travel crates, lifejackets for sailing and more. The photos alone are worth buying the book for in my opinion but the research and advice make it a splendid resource. I also love the travellers' tales, like the hikers who adopted two abandoned kittens while on a hike.
Enjoy!

I downloaded a copy from Net Galley. This is an unbiased review.
Stevie
Jul 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was great with practical tips on trying to let your little fur ball get the most out of outdoors to stories about real adventure cats! I really enjoyed it and am now motivated to take Toby outside more (Magellan and Ralph couldn't care less about going outside).
Kiri
Jan 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Initially NetGalley allowed me to read a digital copy of this book in exchange for a review. I wasn't able to read this copy before it expired, so I read the printed version of this book after it was released. This is my review of the printed version.

An informative and fun read! I am an avid cat lover and have tossed around the idea of having a cat as a hiking/camping companion. Adventure Cats is a great novel for figuring out what kind of cat would make a good outdoor companion, how to train th
Edward Fenner
Nov 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: cat fanciers
I quite enjoyed this book. I learned a lot about cat behavior - particularly when harnessing them up and taking them on trips in the car to various places. Our most-recent cat is an adventure cat of sorts. We have her harnessed up and take her for walks and up to the lake in the summer. It's not quite as exotic or adventurous as the cats in the book but she likes her little outings.
Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
A short read with decent advice and stories about enriching cats lives by taking them outdoors. Worth taking a look at if you're interested in doing activities to stimulate your cat and enjoy the outdoors together. Their website is adventurecats.org
Gregory
Jul 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book works to "rebrand" cats. I promise it will make you look at your feline friends differently and to imagine new possibilities. I can't wait to try out some of these tips myself.
For the Love of C...: * Introduce Your Cats 21 26 Aug 07, 2020 11:19AM

• The Unofficial Ultimate Harry Potter Spellbook: A complete reference guide to every spell in the wizarding world
  • Homer and the Holiday Miracle
  • The Baptism
  • Mystery of Crocodile Island (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #55)
  • A Monster of a Mystery (The Hardy Boys: Secret Files, #5)
  • Alabama Moon (Alabama Moon, #1)
  • Masterminds (Masterminds, #1)
  • Tiny But Mighty: Kitten Lady's Guide to Saving the Most Vulnerable Felines
  • Total Cat Mojo: Everything You Need to Know to Care for Your Favorite Feline Friend
  • Snapdragon
  • Almost Lost Arts: Traditional Crafts and the Artisans Keeping Them Alive
  • Catification: Designing a Happy and Stylish Home for Your Cat (and You!)
  • Eleven Things I Promised
  • Cat Daddy: What the World's Most Incorrigible Cat Taught Me About Life, Love, and Coming Clean
  • My Life in a Cat House: True Tales of Love, Laughter, and Living with Five Felines
  • Dr. Seuss's Horse Museum
  • Don't Let Them Disappear
  • Tom's Midnight Garden

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »