Start by marking “Gardens of the High Line: Elevating the Nature of Modern Landscapes” as Want to Read:
Gardens of the High Line: Elevating the Nature of Modern Landscapes

Gardens of the High Line: Elevating the Nature of Modern Landscapes

“If you can't get to the High Line. . . this is the next best thing.” —The Washington Post

Before it was restored, the High Line was an untouched, abandoned landscape overgrown with wildflowers. Today it’s a central plaza, a cultural center, a walkway, and a green retreat in a bustling city that is free for all to enjoy. This beautiful, dynamic garden was designed by Pie
Published June 14th 2017 by Timber Press

To ask other readers questions about Gardens of the High Line, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gardens of the High Line

Start your review of Gardens of the High Line: Elevating the Nature of Modern Landscapes
Cheryl
Oct 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: garden
Well, first off, how can any book that contains any garden of Piet Oudolf be anything but fabulous? Along with seasonal images of this reclaimed New York garden are the history behind its "creation" with the collaborator's tales, the toils in maintaining, the listing (with images) of the habitat plants, and just so much more. A good read aside all the vivid, full-color (and often full page) images of this lush landscape with speckled sculptures, pathways, sitting areas and surrounding cityscapes ...more
Ligaya
Sep 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is almost as amazing as the High Line itself! Breathtaking photographs of this amazing urban space! Sometimes hard to keep reading the text as the photos drew you away. I loved the historical photos, as well, and wished there was more but I understand that the focus is on what is there now. Hopefully, this is where public garden spaces and landscapes (highway medians?) are moving towards. Absolutely beautiful.
Grady
Dec 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Garden designers rarely seem to write of their gardens, ‘We like these plants and chose them carefully; we hope you find them pretty together.’ Instead, I’m more used to reading elaborate discussions of the Ideas encoded in the beds and plantings, as though the living material of the garden is less real that the creative vision or principles it expresses. The text of this guide to the High Line keeps that garden-writing tradition.

On the other hand, the High Line itself, as revealed in this book,
Dale Cousins
Jul 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I guess I have been living under a rock as I was unfamiliar with this garden trail created along abandoned NY Central rail lines that run somewhat adjacent to the Hudson River. It is a wonderful concept and a beautiful beautiful book. Another treasure from Timber Press!!
Theresa
Apr 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The garden is not a flower arrangement nor is it a landscape painting. "It is a dynamic process that is always changing. You must keep in touch with it all of the time." ( Piet Oudolf, designer of the High Line garden.)
That comment is what I liked most about this book. Gardeners know that nothing alive is static. Every garden offers surprises. Science can only partially predict a garden's behavior; an elevated one is an adventure.
This is a wild garden owned as a public park by the City of New Yo
Sandra Hutchison
Dec 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gardening
Wonderful book. Not only is it gorgeously photographed, but a gardener facing difficult conditions will find a wealth of specific ideas for plants that will survive in very difficult situations. It's also a great resource for anyone who'd love to improve an urban environment in a way that respects wildlife, the environment, people, and aesthetics. It's full of intriguing takeaways for design and seasonal gardening practices. I thought it would be just a pretty coffee table book, but it's far mor ...more
romney
Apr 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Excellent. Big book with lots of full page photographs. Contains a history of the High Line then breaks it down into the different sections such as Gansevoort Woodland. You get the thinking behind the design, photos throughout the year and many specific plants are listed so you can recreate the look. They address challenges that have changed the design over time, such as the physical limitations of planting on what is essentially a green roof, the huge numbers of visitors and new buildings going ...more
Cheryl Gatling
Ever since I first heard about the High Line in New York City, I have wanted to see it. This book is the next best thing.

An elevated railroad line was abandoned in New York, and left to the elements. Some people went up there and found that the train tracks had become overgrown with wild plants. The people thought it was so cool that they wanted to preserve it just as it was, as a bit of wildness in the city. It turned out that the structure needed improvements before it could be opened to the
Sharron
Jan 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Though I have been fortunate enough to have visited the High Line, I still found this book illuminating as it permits you to see its landscape in a way that is not possible on foot. Especially rewarding is the fact that the book’s extraordinary photographs reveal the gardens in every season and not simply in spring and/or summer as is so often the case in garden books. Similarly the inclusion of photos reflecting the garden when it is raining, sleeting or snowing were a visual delight as they po ...more
Ruth
Aug 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A treasure of a book. I have yet to experience the High Line but after being immersed in it through the pages of this book, I've moved it high on my list of places to visit.

My hope would be that more urban areas take notice and adopt some of Piet Oudolf's ideas of incorporating nature back into our cities. Even in my suburban lot, I am inspired to use some of his plant designs to create restorative spaces.

Definitely worth taking a book walk through the Gardens of the High Line!
Mr. V.
Mar 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-2018
I love how the briefly captioned pictures help the reader understand the history and the design of the High Line. It makes me want to return and see it through new eyes.
Anna
Mar 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: landscape-arch
Not to be missed! Great planting info.
Olga Vannucci
Feb 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What I need in my yard out back
Is some rusty railroad track.
Carmen
Dec 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gardening
A wonderful refurbishment of an abandoned railway in New York City. It is miles long, and varies from one neighborhood to another. The photos are breath taking!
Serena Crosina

• Juliet Takes a Breath
  • Consensual Hex
  • The Grampian Quartet
  • Λωξάντρα
  • El temps de les cireres
  • Feminism, Interrupted: Disrupting Power
  • Sin noticias de Gurb
  • Touch Not the Cat
  • You Can't Keep a Good Woman Down: Stories
  • Walking the High Line
  • Demà, a les tres de la matinada
  • The Layered Garden: Design Lessons for Year-Round Beauty from Brandywine Cottage
  • Gender: A Graphic Guide
World-famous landscape designer Piet Oudolf is principal of a small landscape design firm in Hummelo in the eastern part of The Netherlands. He has designed award-winning public and private gardens in Holland, Germany, Sweden, Britain, Ireland, Canada, and the U.S. "

News & Interviews

Award-winning journalist Maria Hinojosa’s highly anticipated new book, Once I Was You: A Memoir of Love and Hate in a Torn America, arrives...