Start by marking “Just Fly Away” as Want to Read:
Just Fly Away

Just Fly Away

3.24  ·  Rating details ·  802 Ratings  ·  179 Reviews
“Ever wish that you could just fly away?”

When fifteen-year-old Lucy Willows discovers that her father has a child from a brief affair, a eight-year-old boy who lives in her own suburban New Jersey town, she begins to question everything she thinks she knows about her home and her life. How could Lucy’s father have betrayed the entire family? How could her mother forgive hi
Published March 28th 2017 by Algonquin Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Just Fly Away, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Just Fly Away

Kristy
Lucy is fifteen and enjoying what seems to be a happy, normal life with her parents and younger sister when she has a bombshell dropped on her: her father has an eight-year-old son with another woman. And they live only a few blocks away. When Lucy learns of this news, she is incredibly angry at both her parents: her father for cheating on her mother and keeping the secret, and her mother, for passively remaining with her father and not telling her daughters what happened. Lucy wants to return t ...more
Olivia (The Candid Cover)
DNF at 30%

I was really curious about this book because it is written by a male with a female POV. I am not really feeling as though the author is conveying the female perspective accurately. Also, the writing is not very interesting. Disappointing to say the least.
Michelle (Pink Polka Dot Books)
3.5 Stars.

I picked this up because I saw the name Andrew McCarthy and wondered if it was THAT Andrew McCarthy-- it is. It's the brat-packer from Pretty in Pink and St. Elmo's Fire (& most recently The Family-- RIP) and all that 80's goodness. So I thought why not?? Let's see what inspired him to write YA as a 50-something.

I started out really liking this book. I especially liked all the descriptions the author used to put me in the place where the character was. Descriptions aren't usually
Maria (Big City Bookworm)
*Disclaimer: A Copy of Just Fly Away by Andrew McCarthy was provided to me by Thomas Allen & Son in exchange for an honest review. This does not effect my opinion in any way.

DNF @ page 106/258

When I first heard the Andrew McCarthy was going to be releasing a young adult novel, I was instantly excited. I love Andrew McCarthy as an actor and I was extremely excited to read a novel that was written by him. This was all before I even read the synopsis.

Just Fly Away is about a young teen girl nam
Trinity Irwin
Feb 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just Fly Away by Andrew McCarthy is a four-star book to me, which isn’t necessarily a bad thing. The book overall was great, but could have been started better. Throughout the first few chapters I thought the writing wasn’t the greatest. I don’t have an exact thing I didn’t like about it; it just didn’t grab me. I was thinking of labeling the book as a DNF and just calling it quits but once I got around chapter six or seven I started to get more interested.

photo 327D9407-7ED9-4CDD-B868-AB4AF6C57BA7_zpsao1as3td.gif

There was only one other thing about t
Faizan
Nov 18, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I got the book from NetGalley for review.

Just Fly Away/Pre Order.

I want to give it one star but that will be a little harsh as Andrew McCarthy is not a young adult fiction writer. And he also manages to show the immaturity of kids of that age. That is an only plus point of this book.

First of all fifteen-year-old Lucy Willows does not discover anything. She overhear when her mother and father was talking. Not only that but her father clearly made Lucy and her sister sit and then tell them about
Suzanne
Sep 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I know that a lot of readers are coming down hard on this book because it's written by a famous adult male actor, but I thought it had a lot of charm. I found Lucy's voice believable, and the premise of the book would have been alluring to me even if I hadn't known the author's identity. My only quibble is that after Lucy falls in love, her female friends are never mentioned again.
☆☆Hannah☆☆
May 24, 2017 rated it liked it
I wasn't sure how I was going to feel about this book. However, I ended up liking it. Lucy wasn't as bad as I thought she would be. That helped a lot. This book is another example of why sometimes it's better to read a book for yourself rather than go by reviews and ratings on goodreads.
Sara (A Gingerly Review)
Apr 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017, audio-book-2017
I liked this more than I thought I would. I did not always agree with the way Lucy handled situations but that's to be expected of a 15 year old, right? I'm excited to write my review soon.

Full review can be found here: https://agingerlyreview.wordpress.com...

I enjoyed this story more than I thought I would. Reading a male author writing from the POV of a female protagonist was something I had to experience.

Fifteen year old Lucy had her entire world turned upside down when she discovers that her
Jeff Grosser
The story was okay. If you're looking for a "The Meaning of Life: Observations by Kevin Dolenz" moment, I don't think you will find it here. :-)
Ms. Yingling
I liked the voice and the writing in this one, but it's too YA for my readers. A little slow, some f-bombs. Will pass.
Cheryl
Feb 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just Fly Away is a charming read. I just wanted to fly away and get lost in this book and that is exactly what I did. Long after you put this book down, it will stay with you. The main focus of this story is surrounding Lucy. Every step of the way, I was with her. From the shock, anger, sadness, love, forgiveness, and family.

Lucy is a strong, prominent voice. While, everyone else may have tried to tell Lucy how to act and to grow up; it was Lucy that taught them all a lesson. While I enjoyed ev
⋆ jessica ⋆
2.5/5 - Flew through this, but not necessarily in a good way. The storyline fell flat and the characters didn't seem very fleshed out. Just an okay read.
Sandra
While the ARC provided to me was a sneak peek, consisting of the first ten chapters, it was enough to give me a glimpse into the storyline and a feel for the characters and plot.

Touted as a Young Adult novel, the writing and behaviour of the teenage characters felt more like middle school age children, and I must say that completely threw me off. This in itself created a disconnect between the characters and the storyline and it prevented me from fully connecting and caring for the characters,
Emily
More of a 2.5
Michelle
Jan 25, 2017 rated it liked it
I received an ARC for review. I'd probably give this book 3+ stars. I liked the story, but thought it was slow. It contains YA content, but the writing almost felt like a middle school book.
Kim
Jan 29, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story seemed all over the place with some random teen things thrown in that weren't really needed.
PinkAmy loves  💕 books📖, cats😻 and naps🛏
Lucy thinks she has a perfect family, until she learns her father has a young son, the product of a one night stand. She takes off, without telling her parents, to visit her estranged grandfather miles away in Maine.

I was in a mood to read and light, forgettable story and go just that with JUST FLY AWAY. Actor Andrew McCarthy’s debut novel was enjoyable, but although had a good premise, was not very well written or executed.

Lucy sounded as if she was written by a man, particularly in her relatio
Alexis Maurer
May 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just Fly Away follows the life of Lucy Willows. She lives in a New Jersey town with her parents and her sister, Julie. One day, Lucy finds out that she has an eight-year-old brother, whom her father is the dad of due to an affair several years back. Lucy cannot look at her father the same and doesn't take the news very well. What seems to throw her off, however, is why her mother stayed with her cheating father and why her sister doesn't seem all that mad about the affair. Lucy begins to isolate ...more
Karen Parisot
When Lucy overhears her parents talking one evening, she just knows they’ve been hiding something, and she wants answers. Come to find out, her father has one bombshell of a secret. When he finally fesses up, Lucy is absolutely devastated.
This is a character driven novel, and Lucy Willows is an incredible character. She’s inquisitive, imaginative, spunky and possessed of a wry sense of humor. She’s also very angry, but that’s something that’s not uncommon with teenagers. I enjoyed the connection
Bickering Book Reviews
We received an e-ARC of this book from the publish in exchange for an honest review.
For a more in-depth review check out this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhNPD...

What's It About: Fifteen year old Lucy begins to question everything in her life when she learns her father has an eight year old illegitimate son. Lucy begins to act out and ritually runs away to her Grandfather's house in Maine.

The Good: The narrative is very dramatic and may engage readers looking for over the top family d
Allison
Apr 28, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2017, ya
I don't have a lot to say about this book other than that it didn't work for me. I didn't enjoy the characters or the story overall. Side note: I feel like I need to be more choosy about my YA reads, maybe by sticking to authors whose work I have enjoyed in the past, at least until something phenomenal bubbles up (like The Hate U Give). I'm losing my recent-years adoration for YA, possibly due to oversaturation, possibly due to where I am in life. That makes me a little sad, but my consolation i ...more
Lori Koppelman
Apr 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
I chose to read this because I was going to be seeing the author and wanted a taste of the book before the event. I finished it to see how it all turned out. There were moments I enjoyed and yet found myself thinking that the age of the main character didn't fit. Maybe she was just immature but she seemed more like a 12-year-old and that also fit the reading level. Rounding up to four because he was very charming in person. And St. Elmo's Fire.
Dawn
Mar 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Not a great fan of ya normally but this little gem really pulls at the heart strings. Lucy finds out her dad has another child and this leads her to question her family values and her place with the pain of adolescence
Laurene
Apr 11, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I simply disagree with the family dynamics. The characters in the novel, with the exception of 15 year old Lucy, have their heads buried in the sand. The world and different issues are revolving around them but no one seems to notice.
Apr 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
sad
Lindsey
Oct 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just fly away by Andrew McCarthy was a book that i would recommend to a lot of people. This book was one that was super relatable for me. Andrew McCarthy created a book that was about real life issues or conflict in an individual's life. It has romance, drama of many kinds from family to personal. McCarthy has a very good way about making the characters go through serious topics they never say coming. This was one of the books where you never want to stop reading, each page had something new whe ...more
Sara (Just Another Story)
I liked this- more than I expected.

More thoughts to come later.
Tori King
I'm not sure what to think of this book. I feel like there were so many plot points that didn't fit together and I couldn't put the book down but only because I wanted to know how everything fit together and why it was all put in the book. It seems like McCarthy took two or three stories and just smashed them together to make one, and I don't think it worked
Samantha (WLABB)
Dec 14, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, arcs
Rating: 2.5 Stars

"Where have you been?" he asked me.
"On the road to discovery," I said.
"Huh?"
"Nowhere much."

When I saw that Andrew McCarthy was the author, I did not realize it was THAT Andrew McCarthy. (Let's be real, both the first and last name are not that uncommon). But it is THAT Andrew McCarthy. The one that starred in my all-time favorite film (Pretty in Pink). So, I was curious.

Lucy overhears a conversation between her parents, which forces them to reveal a family secret. Out there,
Andrew McCarthy is a director, an award winning travel writer, and—of course—an actor. He made his professional début at 19 in Class, and has appeared in dozens of films, including such iconic movies as Pretty in Pink, St. Elmo’s Fire, Less Then Zero, and cult favorites Weekend At Bernie’s and Mannequin.

He has starred on Broadway and on television, most recently appearing in The Family, on ABC. Mc
More about Andrew McCarthy

Young Adult Deals

• Son of the Dawn (Ghosts of the Shadow Market #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Mechanica (Mechanica, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Night Divided
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Three Dark Crowns (Three Dark Crowns, #1)
  • The Lotterys Plus One
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The End of Feeling
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Gone (Gone, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Moon Chosen (Tales of a New World #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Deviants (Dust Chronicles #1)
    $4.49 $0.99
  • Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles, #1)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • Just Friends
    $7.80 $2.99
  • For Love and Honor (An Uncertain Choice, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Chemistry Lessons
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Menagerie
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Infinite (Gates of Thread and Stone #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Touching Spirit Bear (Spirit Bear, #1)
  • Black Bird of the Gallows
    $7.99 $0.99
  • My Best Friend's Exorcism
  • Liars, Inc.
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Twilight / Life and Death (Twilight, #1, 1.75)
    $10.99 $2.99
  • Siege and Storm (The Grisha, #2)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Thousandth Floor (The Thousandth Floor, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Shadow and Bone (The Grisha, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Ruin and Rising (The Grisha, #3)
  • A Long Walk to Water: Based on a True Story
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Girl Who Drank the Moon
    $15.95 $1.99
  • Lumière (The Illumination Paradox, #1)
  • I Hate Everyone But You