Start by marking “Here We Are: Feminism for the Real World” as Want to Read:
Here We Are: Feminism for the Real World

Here We Are: Feminism for the Real World

LET'S GET THE FEMINIST PARTY STARTED!

Have you ever wanted to be a superheroine? Join a fandom? Create the perfect empowering playlist? Understand exactly what it means to be a feminist in the twenty-first century? You’ve come to the right place.

Forty-four writers, dancers, actors, and artists contribute essays, lists, poems, comics, and illustrations about everything from
Published January 24th 2017 by Algonquin Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Here We Are, please sign up.
Kelly Absolutely! It not just talks about it -- defining it and explaining the history of the term and origins -- but it shows it through each and every pie…moreAbsolutely! It not just talks about it -- defining it and explaining the history of the term and origins -- but it shows it through each and every piece in the collection. (less)
Kelly Advanced reading copies are often published at the same time or in advance of copyediting/proofing, so those errors will be caught. I know when I read…moreAdvanced reading copies are often published at the same time or in advance of copyediting/proofing, so those errors will be caught. I know when I read my pass pages (the same thing as what the ARC looks like!), I picked up a number that were resolved as the book went to press. (less)

Start your review of Here We Are: Feminism for the Real World
Emily May
Sep 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, feminism, nonfiction, 2017
This collection is EXTRAORDINARY. I am 100% going to get my hands on a finished copy so I can dive back into this book whenever I need it (which is probably a lot).

It is perhaps never possible to adequately collect enough perspectives to present all aspects of feminism in its entirety, but this book comes damn close. Here We Are: Feminism for the Real World covers a wide range of intersectional feminist topics, featuring authors of all colours, races and religions, gay and trans authors, authors
Kelly
Jul 01, 2015 marked it as to-read  ·  (Review from the author)
This book now belongs to every person who needs it & who deserves it. Keep fighting the good fight.

Have you read and enjoyed HERE WE ARE? Between now and the end of July, pop a short review on Amazon to be entered for a chance to win $30 to the bookstore of your choice. Details about the promotion, as well as where to drop your information, is here. Totally okay to copy/paste a review from Goodreads over there!: http://stackedbooks.org/2017/07/givea...
Lala BooksandLala
Nov 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: anthology, favourites
Fantastic. Diverse. Thoughtful.
Laurie  Anderson
Mar 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book should be on the shelves of every middle school and high school library in the country!
Kelley Cantrell
Apr 17, 2017 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: no one. It's too ace/arophobic and transphobic.
tl;dr Save for very brief parts where trans women wrote, this whole book was full of cis-centric feminism and treated the trans/nonbinary/genderqueer community as an afterthought, or just didn't mention us at all. It's like the brief mentions of us were just to say "look, we included people who aren't cisgender! We've succeeded at intersectional feminism! Give us brownie points!"

Tl;dr Feminism that’s cis-centric is not intersectional.

Note: I’m only going to address the issues that pertain to me
Eilonwy
May 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: non-fiction
Usually I'm a bit tongue-tied (finger-tied?) when it comes to reviewing non-fiction books.

But not this one.

I wasn't sure what to expect from a collection of feminist essays aimed at YA readers (although I've followed Kelly Jensen around online for years, so I trusted her to make something terrific). This book lived up to all my hopes for it, and more. It's feminist and also highly intersectional, with contributions from white women, white men, POC women, POC men, transwomen and one transman, a
laura (bookies & cookies)
[Edit: April 14, 2017] I changed my 5 star rating to a 2 star rating because of the recent worrying aphobic, biphobic, and panphobic statements and messages from Kelly Jensen, the editor, on Twitter and BookRiot articles.

While this book was illuminating and included a wide array of voices, the lack of asexual representation and an incorrect definition of bisexuality is troubling and not something I wish to support with a higher starred rating.
Edith
Apr 15, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fuck-these-books
White Feminism at its finest. The editor does not care about any woman who is unlike herself, and so this collection is a massive fail at intersectionality. The failure ranges from fake allyship at best to outright hatred, erasure, and exclusion at worst.
Jessica Jeffers
Dec 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley, feminism
In place of a review, just picture a million heart-eye emojis.
Laina SpareTime
Apr 15, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: not-for-me
Editor is incredibly aphobic and dismissed and tone-policed the ace/aro community over concern over a book blurb https://twitter.com/lainasparetime/st...

The book itself seems to be super cissexist https://twitter.com/faulknerpainter/s...

And from what I've seen of the editing, it's sloppy and allows outdated ideas and misinformation to stand.

For example, "He. She. Ze. They. Hir. Queer. Trans. A."

WHAT IS THIS A? What does this even mean????

Will not read.
Abby Johnson
Aug 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What an impressive and necessary book.

For teen readers who are hearing about feminism (good or bad opinions about it) and want to know more and learn about how different people express feminism, this is a MUST. For teen readers who identify as feminist and want to get different perspectives on it, this is a MUST. For teen readers who have never once thought about feminism in their lives, this is a MUST.

Kelly Jensen has pooled together a really impressive line up of writers and artists talking
Kara Babcock
I suppose I should start with one of those disclaimers about how I received a free electronic copy of this from NetGalley and Algonquin Young Readers. However, I also preordered two hard copies with my own money (OK, someone else’s money in gift card form) even before that request was approved. But why wait a whole three weeks when I could read it earlier than that? That’s how excited I am for Here We Are: 44 Voices Write, Draw, and Speak About Feminism for the Real World. It turns out that this ...more
Ms. Yingling
Jan 07, 2017 rated it liked it
ARC from Baker and Taylor

Thanks to this book, I know I need to identify myself as an old school or second wave feminist. (Not having been around prior to 1920!) Third or fourth wave feminism strays from what my mother and I saw as essential feminist sociopolitical concerns and includes issues such as sexual identity, sexual orientation, mental illness, etc. For me, these are side issues that dilute the power of the movement, but for younger feminists, this interesctionality is key to their invol
Hillary
Jan 05, 2016 marked it as to-read
THIS SOUNDS AWESOME.
LOOK AT THAT COVER.
I would have preferred an entire new book by Courtney Summers, but this will do :)
I can't wait!
Jacquelyn
Apr 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was a really great collection of stories/writing pieces that was extremely inspiring, eye-opening, and vital to this day in society. I thought that the different pieces and authors were all so interesting and educational. I learned a lot about feminism in general but also about intersectional feminism and what it does and does not mean to call yourself a feminist. There were a lot of diverse authors and topics discussed in this book and I loved seeing feminism discussed by people of all dif ...more
Mima
May 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
There were a lot of interesting and thought-provoking pieces in this anthology.

My favourite thing about it was that the pieces felt like they were in exactly the right order, they seemed to flow well from one essay into the next.

The thing I struggled with most about the book was the way that the book claimed to be diverse. I felt like the book was just trying to tick diversity off the list, rather than actually be inclusive. I was not represented here.

Overall, I enjoyed this collection a lot,
Demi
Nov 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This anthology is so good!! Brilliant and diverse. I wish I'd had this as a teen. I might have avoided a decade of self-loathing.
Megan  (thebookishtwins)
Feb 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I received this free from the publisher via NetGalley

Here We Are: Feminism for the Real World is an inclusive and feminist-as-hell anthology featuring numerous essays on numerous topics and what feminism means to them. It features playlists, reading lists, and illustrations. I believe Here We Are: Feminism for the Real World should be essential reading for feminists.

Here We Are: Feminism for the Real World features powerful pieces from a diverse collection of authors from a variety of socio-eco
Ylenia
Mar 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a great introduction to feminism! I highly recommend this - the essays were short but packed of info and deeply personal. There were also drawings, photos and some great book recommendations.

My favorite pieces were from: Roxane Gay, Lily Myers, Constance Zaber, Kayla Whaley, Rafe Posey, Zariya Allen, Amanda Stenberg, Mikki Kendall, Jessica Luther, Kody Keplinger.
Alison
May 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a MUST READ for everyone in my opinion. There were so many articles I could relate to and others that were eye opening. This answered so many questions I didn't even realize I had about feminism and I felt it really focused on all topics that fall under feminism. I will be coming back to a lot of these essays in the future.
Oct 15, 2015 marked it as i-need-you-in-my-life
A YA anthology of essays, lists, poems, photos, and illustrations about feminism from a diverse range of well-known voices.
Authors include Courtney Summers and Kody Keplinger?
This is too good to be true.
Hannah (jellicoereads)
Oct 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
An incredibly engaging collection of essays, and one of the most important non-fiction YA reads of the year. Buy it for every teenage girl in your life. Buy it for every teenage boy in your life. Buy it for every teenager who doesn’t conform to the gender binary. Hell, I know many, many adults who would benefit from the messages contained in this diverse celebration of feminism. I know I did.

One thing that really struck me about this anthology is that there really is something for everybody. Whi
Bryony Nelson
Jan 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
I absolutely super-duperly hugely loved this collection of art, poems and essays from all kinds of people about 21st Century feminism.

It made me feel all the feels and I'm pretty sure my heart broke multiple times throughout this book.

This is such an important book that I URGE everyone to read. If you're not into feminism or you don't like to label yourself as one, it's still an influential read to hear about others experiences and way of lives in today's society. Gah, just go read it.

I'm so g
Lauren R.
I hope that plenty of teen girls read this and learn more about feminism. I honestly don't know if this would have been a difference-maker for me when I was in high school and I didn't come into my feminism until college, but I think it was a less common word ten years ago. I learned everything I needed to know in my Women, Gender, and Sexuality Studies class, then did a lot of my own reading and directed study afterwards. Since then, it's been a huge part of discourse with celebrities and polit ...more
julieta
Nov 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
So great. It was relatable, inspirational, informative. I loved how it teaches to embrace feminism from every aspect of our lives.

I loved Courtney Summers piece on the likeability of female characters. It's a subject I contemplate a lot, because is there's one thing I love is flawed female characters . It's unbelievable how people immediately start hating of characters once they realise that yeah, despite being fictional, characters not one sided, not perfect nor unable to make mistakes.
And t
Jamie (Books and Ladders)
There were parts of this I LOVED but the Pop Culture section made me a little meh because of things included (and some things that were not included). as well I would have enjoyed trigger warnings on the essays about what to be expected for potential triggers. However this has a good spectrum of inclusion and information about feminism and what it means to be a modern feminist. I highly recommend it!
LynnDee (LynnDee's Library)
This is geared to teens but is really a must-read for everyone. It features a variety of voices, both male and female, also non-binary, gender fluid, etc. Voices of different ages and cultures. All of these voices speak about feminism and it's importance. Myths are debunked, questions answered, and a lot of important points are made. I think no matter where you are on your feminist journey, there is an essay in this collection that will speak to you. Highly recommend.
Lily ☁️
“Feminism is about recognizing power and fighting to distribute it equally, regardless of race or class or ability or gender.”

Blog | Twitter | Instagram | TumblrBloglovin’
Jess
Required reading. Moving and fantastic.
Tiff at Mostly YA Lit
Review originally posted on Mostly YA Lit:
here-we-are-boss-babes-giveaway-banner-image-mostly-ya-litHi all, happy International Women's Day! Happy Women's History Month! I'm so delighted today to be hosting a special giveaway of two amazing, girl-centric, feminist books: Here We Are: Feminism For the Real World edited by Kelly Jensen, and Boss Babes: A Coloring & Activity Book for Grown-Ups by Michelle Volansky!
A little background on this giveaway:
As a lot of you know, I'm a feminist and a strong supporter of equality. It's been deeply disturbing to

• How I Resist: Activism and Hope for a New Generation
  • Steampunk! An Anthology of Fantastically Rich and Strange Stories
  • All the Rage
  • Amazons, Abolitionists, and Activists: A Graphic History of Women's Fight for Their Rights
  • The V-Word: True Stories about First-Time Sex
  • Deadendia: The Broken Halo
  • Felix Ever After
  • The Girl Who Married a Skull: and Other African Stories
  • The Fire Never Goes Out: A Memoir in Pictures
Kelly Jensen is a former teen librarian who worked in several public libraries before pursuing a full-time career in writing and editing. Her current position is with Book Riot, the largest independent book website in North America, where she focuses on talking about young adult literature in all of its manifestations. Before becoming a fully-fledged adult-like person, she worked in the swanky Tex ...more

News & Interviews

“It's critical we examine the kind of standards we hold fictional girls to and consider how it reflects in the way we treat real girls and, most important, what kind of emotional impact that has on them. What are we saying to girls when we cannot accept difficult, hurting female characters as being worthy of love because they are difficult and hurting?” 6 likes
“But here’s the thing: other people’s opinions are not the truth. We live in a world that puts us into boxes and labels them with Sharpies, yet those boxes are lies. They flatten us; they limit who we really are. Feminism” 5 likes