Start by marking “Asteroid Hunters” as Want to Read:
Asteroid Hunters

Asteroid Hunters

(TED Books #14)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  133 ratings  ·  35 reviews
For the first time, scientists could have the knowledge to prevent a natural disaster epic in scale—an asteroid hitting the earth and in this exciting, adventuresome book, Carrie Nugent explains how.

What are asteroids, and where do they come from? And, most urgently: Are they going to hit the Earth? What would happen if one was on its way? Carrie Nugent is an asteroid hunt
Published March 14th 2017 by Simon Schuster/ TED

To ask other readers questions about Asteroid Hunters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Asteroid Hunters

Feb 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First off, this book isn’t similar to Armageddon or Deep Impact (although after finishing it I did spend the afternoon watching those films back-to-back; I prefer Deep Impact if only for the better science). So just to clarify, there are no inspiring presidential addresses about the power of hope, or giant tidal waves, or questionable scenes involving animal crackers.

Instead, this gives a detailed but accessible overview of the job of an asteroid hunter, the chances of an asteroid hitting eart
Abhijeet Jain
Dec 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: astronomy
One of the fascinating books I read this year. It covers everything, from "origins of asteroid" to "how can we save earth from a devastating collision". Carrie explained how asteroid hunters actually work, various kinds of technology being used to find them and most importantly she revealed things in chronological order, from "how we used to find an asteroid in the past" to "how we find them today".
I loved that she explained working of NEOWISE telescope in such an elegant manner!

description

I feel fortunat
Enzo
Dec 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: life, non-fiction
The thing is the book attracted me because I love "Armageddon" and "Deep Impact"so what exactly is an Asteroid hunter. Yeah even Tornado-hunter came to mind. But I digress.
Carrie Nugent has a short book described exactly what an Asteroid Hunter is and believe me we all should care and assist.
She also puts us mostly up-to-date on what is happening in the world of Asteroid discoveries and some facts that are still hard to believe.
Yes, the book is short, but you'll find yourself stopping grabbing
Freesiab (Bookish Review)
Sep 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If you like learning about space then you'll love this book! It was a quick 3 hours and the author did a great job of explaining the science of asteroids! Her excitement was also a little contagious. Well written and I think kids from 12 and up through adults would enjoy it. I did!
Lori L (She Treads Softly)
Mar 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Asteroid Hunters by Carrie Nugent is a highly recommended quick look at asteroids. This is the published version of a TED talk that would be a good choice for anyone interested in learning more about asteroids, from as young as age 10 to adult. This book could be the foundational inspiration for future asteroid hunters/researchers.
Nugent provides her information about asteroids in accessible easy to comprehend language. She covers what they are and where they come from, but also the bigger quest
Renay
Apr 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a nice introductory text on how we collaborate internationally to find and identify asteroids. Super readable for non-science folks. :D
Kira Roberts
Oct 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fantastic overview of asteroid hunting! There was never a dry moment in this book - a nice, quick, entertaining read. Carrie Nugent also works on the NEOWISE team, so bonus points to her!
Leo
Jan 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Short book that give you a brief insight into the world of Asteroid Hunters. It's not overly technical and can easily be digested in an after (or three in my case).
Ryan Lackey
May 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great short book (and even better audiobook) about asteroids, the search for asteroids and people searching, and the mitigation of the potential existential risk of a large asteroid hitting Earth.

The author, Dr Carrie Nugent, is pretty famous (especially for a scientist) through TED Talks, a great podcast (Spacepod), and other science outreach. Her day job is working on the NEO-WISE mission, one of the top space based survey tools to find asteroids, but unlike many scientists, she is
Robert
Mar 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Dr. Nugent's voice, as a writer, is dripping with sincerity. The language and delivery are clear, thoughtful, and generous to the reader and audience. She takes a highly technical subject and makes it accessible to a broad audience without ever talking down to her audience. This book can be enjoyed at any age and form any educational background. Really, the only group of people who might not learn something interesting are probably asteroid scientists themselves, but I imagine they will still en ...more
Wilde Sky
This book describes the work of the teams of people that hunt for asteroids that are close to Earth.

The author is obviously super keen on her subject and there were some extremely interesting parts of this book (for instance I learnt the difference between a comet and an asteroid) but the flow of the book was a bit muddled and it could have been more in depth.
Daniel
Mar 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nature, non-fiction
This review originally published in Looking For a Good Book. Rated 4.5 of 5

There were three main reasons I wanted to read this book. 1) Simple curiosity over what sort of work an asteroid hunter does 2) the fact that this is connected with the TedTalks series, and 3) my son is studying to be an astrophysicist and I'm curious about what sort of jobs he might be looking at in the not-too-distant future.

So, what is an asteroid hunter? It is someone who is studying and mapping space in our solar sys
Kirsten
May 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult-nonfiction
This book was a fun overview of the science and history of asteroid detection, a quick read that covers a lot of interesting topics. And yes, when I think of asteroids I invariably think of Empire Strikes Back and Deep Impact (both of which get referenced in this book) - there's a thrill level associated with asteroids in those movies that makes them particularly memorable. Maybe it's just the nerd in me, but I found the actual information about asteroid hunting to be seriously cool as well, mos ...more
adam
Oct 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Catch the excitement and impact of science

I love this book. It tells the story of an international community of astronomers and astrophysicists who look for and track asteroids with near-Earth orbits. But that story has so many different angles and side stories: from the first discovery of an asteroid and new mathematics that had to be invented to understand its orbit, to combing the deserts of Sudan to find remnants of a recent impact. This book captures the excitement of being a working scient
miha ha
May 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Zanimivo poslušanje, da asteroidni pas sploh ni tako gost kokr bi si mislili, se pa nenehno spreminja in je zato težko prehoden, kolk pogosti so asteroidi in da so nam ob zadostnem opozorilu prej precej nenevarni oz. smo jim zmožni spremenit pot da falijo Zemljo...

Najbolj všeč mi je pa to da si znanstveniki odkritja in opazovanja delijo po celem svetu - v primeru enega asteroida ki je bil namenjen proti Zemlji in so ga opazovali celo pot, predvidli kam bo piknil in potem ga pobrali, in je bil op
Ogi Ogas
Aug 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
My ratings of books on Goodreads are solely a crude ranking of their utility to me, and not an evaluation of literary merit, entertainment value, social importance, humor, insightfulness, scientific accuracy, creative vigor, suspensefulness of plot, depth of characters, vitality of theme, excitement of climax, satisfaction of ending, or any other combination of dimensions of value which we are expected to boil down through some fabulous alchemy into a single digit.
Teo 2050
~50min @ 2.5x. Contents:
(view spoiler)
Tom Dixon
Aug 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A 5 star book. An interesting subject presented in an approachable and understandable manner. The case for why the asteroid hunt is important, the history of the hunt, the current status and techniques of the hunt, and what's next were all laid out in an easy to follow but detailed format. This was a fun read. It it was easy to feel the author's personality and her passion for the subject.
Katie
This was a short and readable book, interesting and very introductory. I enjoyed the length, but at the same time, I wanted more from the book, so I guess I'm the one with the problem for wanting to have my cake & eat it too.
Maté Milosevich
Aug 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Super easy to read and very informative ! Makes me want to be an asteroid hunter !!!
Joe
Jun 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: tldr
The TED Talk that goes with this was the appetizer - the book is the main course - no added frills makes this a solid read with many take-aways. Never Look At The Sun.
Maria
Apr 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a nice, little book about asteroids and how astronomers work to map millions of asteroids in our solar system, and why it matters.
Joseph Busa
I'd have liked more detail about what these people do. But it was well written and made me feel glad that people like Ms Nugent do what she does for a living.
Moonglum
I quick look at asteroids and how they are studied. The history of the field of asteroid hunting interested me the most, as well as how radio and infrared astronomy are involved.
Paperclippe
Really enjoyed this. The writing style was casual and friendly and even a space/science nerd like me can learn a few things. Rock on, TED books.
Richard
Mar 20, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Very short TED publication. A good read.
Chet
Mar 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Lively and engaging!
Let me just say up front, I read more fiction than non-fiction because a lot of non-fiction gets bogged down. Not a problem here! Asteroid Hunter is so interesting from start to finish, full of stories and history. You can tell the science is accurate, and it's all explained in a friendly, easy to understand way. It's really clear to me now why it is so important to keep looking for asteroids. This book made me care about it. And I enjoyed every minute of it.
Becky
Feb 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A delightful book!
I read this in one sitting, and enjoyed every minute. It's like being taken on a special insider tour. Dr. Nugent explains everything in a relaxed, natural voice - and does it on such a personable level that it's like sitting down for a comfortable, fascinating chat with a close friend. I found myself laughing out loud at some of the stories.
I really enjoyed the interesting interviews with various asteroid hunters, learning not only what they do but also getting a glimpse of
Reinis
Apr 27, 2017
Jesse Donaldson
Apr 07, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

TED Books (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • The Terrorist's Son: A Story of Choice
  • The Art of Stillness: Adventures in Going Nowhere
  • The Mathematics of Love: Patterns, Proofs, and the Search for the Ultimate Equation
  • The Future of Architecture in 100 Buildings
  • Follow Your Gut: How the Ecosystem in Your Gut Determines Your Health, Mood, and More
  • Beyond Measure: The Big Impact of Small Changes