Start by marking “All By Myself, Alone” as Want to Read:
All By Myself, Alone

All By Myself, Alone (Alvirah and Willy #11)

3.63  ·  Rating details ·  7,432 Ratings  ·  811 Reviews
A glamorous cruise on a luxurious ocean liner turns deadly in the latest mystery from “Queen of Suspense” and #1 New York Times bestselling author Mary Higgins Clark.

Fleeing a disastrous and humiliating arrest of her husband-to-be on the eve of their wedding, Celia Kilbride, a gems and jewelry expert, hopes to escape from public attention by lecturing on a brand-new cruise
Published April 4th 2017 by Simon Schuster

Julie
Aug 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
All By Myself, Alone by Mary Higgins Clark is a 2017 Simon & Schuster publication.

It seems like it has been a while since I touched base with Alvirah and Willy, so it felt good to hear from them again.

In this eleventh installment in the series, Alvirah and Willy are celebrating their forty-fifth wedding anniversary by taking a cruise aboard a new luxury cruise liner, so opulent it could rival the Titanic.

Also on board is: Celia, who is there to give a series of lectures, but who is also t
Sara
Apr 12, 2017 rated it did not like it
Okay enough is enough. I want Mary Higgins Clark to go on record and admit that one of the grade school aged grandchildren she's always thanking in her acknowledgements is now writing her books because if a third grader did not write this book I will eat my socks!

Beautiful Celia Kilbride was not always by herself, alone. She was once with someone, together.

Unfortunately that someone turned out to be a Bernie Madoff knockoff who swindled her and a lot of her friends out of money and in an effort
Monnie
Apr 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well-developed, intriguing characters. Interesting plot, albeit with no mind-bending surprises. What's not to like?

Not much, from my point of view. No, it won't jack up your blood pressure nor keep you anywhere from the edge of your seat. In fact, it's about as close to a "cozy" mystery as you can get without actually crossing that line (although some readers might argue that it does). In short, it's a perfect summer read - on the beach or, in my case, while enjoying spring weather on our back d
CD {Boulder Blvd}
2.5 Stars rounded up - but yeah, I was very tempted to round down...

This was a fast read and was in typical MHC style. The chapters tend to be short - sometimes very short. There are quite a lot of characters who are painted well but includes their daily minutia that sometimes can come off as trivial and not interesting.

There is a main plot of the murder of Lady Em who is a grand dame type of person and her "cursed" emerald necklace that goes missing. The "man of a thousand faces" is supposedly
Mo
2 1/2 stars rounded down

So, this simplistic claptrap is what passes as a best seller these days? Very sad.

Can you imagine, there were 97 chapters in a book with fewer than 300 pages! 97! Flit, flit, flit. UGH! God forbid there be any depth to this story.

The entire time I was reading this I was wondering where the title for the book was coming from. (view spoiler)
Angie
May 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks, mystery

A nice little 'on-board' mystery from MHC. I didn't think it was quite as good as some of her other recent novels, but made for an enjoyable audiobook. It features the MHC standby characters of Alvirah & Willy, who were first introduced years back when they won the lottery. I would recommend to her die-hard fans, and those who enjoy well told, but not necessarily exciting, mysteries.
Donna
May 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
The maiden voyage of the luxury cruise ship The Queen Charlotte commands a list of wealthy passengers including Lady Em who intends to wear her priceless emerald necklace. Lady Em is surrounded by her companion, her financial advisor and his wife, lawyers, and an Interpol agent determined to stop a thief from stealing the infamous necklace. Lottery winners Alvirah and Willy are on board as well as guest lecturers on gemology and Shakespeare.

This ship is luxurious but obviously quite different f
Melissa A.S.
Apr 05, 2017 rated it it was ok
Mary, where are thou?

I picked up this book at the library yesterday, where any newly-released Mary Higgins Clarks’ novels always consist of a long wait time before I can get my hands on them. I was lucky one might say, or maybe vigilant but I managed to snatch “All By Myself, Alone” right after it became available.

It’s hard to dismiss the sense of familiarity I often get when I read MHC’s books, maybe because the characters almost always come from similar background; there’s the wealthy, well-br
Kirsten
May 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is my first book by prolific suspense author Mary Higgins Clark -- and it was very fun.

It includes the new (but more and more used) trope of the woman whose husband has been arrested for running a pyramid scheme. Ah, progress.

I really enjoyed this book. It follows a fairly predictable - but enjoyable - outline. Instead of an English country manor, we have all of our people isolated on a cruise ship. Instead of norovirus, they have a jewel thief and murderer.

I will definitely read another b
Tamara
First and foremost you should know that I'm not a fan of Willy and Alvirah. I find them to be annoying when they are the main focus of the book as they have been the past couple of MHC's.

I like W & A in small doses, but having to continuously hear about them winning the lottery and Alvirah being so tight with money (Go ahead, A, splurge every once in awhile for a first class plane ticket- you can't take the money with you when you pass away!)

So, I almost didn't purchase this book when I saw
Tiffy_Reads
Jul 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great Mary Higgins Clark novel. :)
Diana Long
May 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book was a delight to read. Very early on I became totally engrossed in the story. Works like this might not be great works of literature but they are easy to read and follow and the writer does remind me of a modern day Agatha Christie. This is my first read by this author but it most definitely will not be my last. What could be better than a cruise ship to rival the amenities of the Titanic on a maiden voyage from New York to Southampton in this novel tale? The author has packed it full ...more
Katie W
Aug 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Mary Higgins Clark always writes a mystery that leaves me guessing and changing my mind about who did it throughout the book. In fact, her books make me realize that I wouldn't be a good detective at all! This story is a little different in that it takes place on a cruise ship and with jewel thieves, murderers, and more mayhem about, the passengers are in for the trip of a lifetime...if they can survive.

There are a lot of shady characters roaming this ship and I honestly didn't trust any of them
Gail
Apr 21, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quick read. Typical "whodunit".
Terri Lynn
I started reading Mary Higgins Clark's books right from the first one Where Are the Children? by Mary Higgins Clark in the 1970's when I was a teenager. Her books were exciting to read for a very long time but they have grown more boring to me over the years as she wrote more and more about rich people and had less true mystery, suspense and thrills. They used to be page-turners. Now it takes me days to drag myself through this dry, dull stuff. This book was predictable and I couldn't whip up enough emotion to like,love, or even hate any ...more
Vi~Inkvotary
Inkvotary
Until a few weeks I wasnt even aware that this series exists. Well, that sounds now a bit awkward. As a huge MHC fan, I probably should have known it.

But in Germany the books are not always published the way they are supposed to be.

In her usual gently style, Mary Higgins Clark wrote this thriller with style and class. The tone is soft and wonderful to read and the plot beautiful created and thought through. Good, some dialogues and scenes show a Alvirah I am not so fond of. But mostly
Heather Gilbert
Apr 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-reads
This was a good read, and it snapped me out of a recent reading funk I've been in. I've seen some people complaining about the shorter chapter length, but honestly that's what made the book move along quickly for me. I enjoyed it.
Apr 06, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Karen
Jul 14, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book is terrible.

Mary Higgins Clark was my favorite mystery writer in middle school and high school and it may be time to break up with her. First, the murder doesn't even happen until like 150 pages into the book. This book takes place on a cruise ship and we have to be introduced to every single passenger on this ship. Second, I do not like Alvirah and Willy. I find them to be annoying busy bodies always butting in where they don't belong.

The main mystery is just dumb. Basically a rich ol
Paula Brandon
These days, the best thing you can say about a Mary Higgins Clark book is that at least it wasn't her worst! The days of gripping thrillers like A Cry In The Night, I'll Be Seeing You or Remember Me are long gone. These days they're weak mysteries, with far too many characters, view points changing within the same paragraph, stilted dialogue, too much repetition, and too many useless facts that have nothing to do with the plot. That's all in abundance here, but she has at least kept a lid on the ...more
☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎
Rated 3.5 stars. Not a bad story but not as much of a thriller than mystery.
Jan 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Muy muy entretenido
Bridget Vollmer
2 1/2 stars....I haven't read a MHC novel in a long time. This seemed a bit too cheesy for me and I didn't really like any of the characters.
Kylie
Jun 09, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I am a massive Agatha Christie fan, who has read and reread pretty much everything she wrote, including the pseudonym romance novels. So it is probably a bit of a surprise that this is my first book by this author.

I was so unimpressed. The writing was pretty dire. A case in point:
He is such a liar, she thought. He was born lying. Everything he told me was a lie
So, I guess he is a liar? Lots and lots of telling instead of showing, and lots of this sort of repetition.

The characters fare as well as
Plot Monster
Apr 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
All By Myself, Alone by Mary Higgins Clark has 320 pages and was published in 2017 by Simon & Schuster.

The Queen of Suspense has done it again.  All By Myself, Alone is the 11th Alvirah & Willy book by Clark.  Per her usual style, this book is fast-paced with an easy-to-read, fluid writing style.  The story is interesting and captivating.  Alvirah and Willy are lovable and quirky.   It is definitely a fun read.

I love Mary Higgins Clark and have been a fan of her work for many years.  I d
Aylavella
Jan 25, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
Novela de misterio con una trama que a priori (según lees la sinopsis) parece entretenida, pero cuyo desarollo no me ha gustado. No me ha atrapado. Personajes y situaciones forzadas. La prosa es sencilla y se lee rápido, pero la historia me ha parecido simple y poco intrigante y con un final poco sorprendente.
He leído otras novelas de la autora que me han gustado mucho más, esta me ha defraudado un poco.
Mi reseña: http://elmundodeaylavella.blogspot.co...
Ludwig Riviera
Dec 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Celia Kilbride, in hopes of escaping public attention concerning the arrest of her husband-to-be, proceeds to lecture on a luxurious ocean liner. On the brand new cruise ship Queen Charlotte, Celia meets Lady Emily Haywood -the owner of a priceless emerald necklace.
Three days later, Lady Emily is found dead - and her necklace is missing.

If you've enjoyed Murder On The Orient Express, this book is the one for you. They're almost very similar, except the latter is a modern version of the former.

Ea
Donna Barrett
too quick of a read. same storyline when on a cruise out to sea. always a rich older woman someone wants to kill for her million dollar jewelry.
Debbie Tollefson

I've always enjoyed Mary Higgins Clark, but this one was just silly
Teresa
Apr 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery-thriller
~ 2.5 Stars ~ This was not one of MHC's better books. I am happy that I checked it out of the library instead of purchasing it.
Summer mini-readi...: and so it begins.... 3 2 Jul 04, 2018 01:10AM
Cozy Mysteries : Mary Higgins Clark book order 7 26 Jun 21, 2018 07:13PM
Around the Year i...: All By Myself, Alone, by Mary Higgins Clark 1 13 Aug 24, 2017 02:07AM
Mary Higgins Clark, #1 international and New York Times bestselling author, is the author of 46 books and counting: she’s written thirty-three suspense novels; three collections of short stories; a historical novel, Mount Vernon Love Story; two children’s books, including The Magical Christmas Horse; and a memoir, Kitchen Privileges. She has also written five holiday suspense novels with Carol Hig ...more
More about Mary Higgins Clark

Alvirah and Willy (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Weep No More, My Lady
  • Santa Cruise: A Holiday Mystery at Sea
  • Dashing Through the Snow
  • I'll Walk Alone
  • The Lost Years
  • As Time Goes By (Alvirah and Willy, #10)
“closed her computer. She felt herself breathing rapidly. I was going to be okay, she thought, if Lady Em had died in her sleep. That’s what old people do. If they’re right and she was murdered, will that change the way they look at me? It might provide cover for me and Ralphie. The article had said that the Cleopatra necklace was missing. That means the killer probably got into Lady Em’s safe. Unless he’s caught, nobody will know how much jewelry or which pieces were stolen. If I’m asked, I can say that Lady Em used to make copies of various pieces of her jewelry. She brought a number of legitimate pieces and a number of copies on the trip. The thief must have taken some of the good stuff and left the junk. Brenda was now feeling infinitely better. That also explains the guard at the door of her suite and not letting me in, she thought. The ship was trying to cover up the murder” 1 likes
“I’ve been very active in a lot of charities because I firmly believe that much is expected of those to whom much has been given” 0 likes