Start by marking “The Choice: Embrace the Possible” as Want to Read:
The Choice: Embrace the Possible

The Choice: Embrace the Possible

4.54  ·  Rating details ·  12,861 ratings  ·  1,455 reviews
It’s 1944 and sixteen-year-old ballerina and gymnast Edith Eger is sent to Auschwitz. Separated from her parents on arrival, she endures unimaginable experiences, including being made to dance for the infamous Josef Mengele. When the camp is finally liberated, she is pulled from a pile of bodies, barely alive.

The horrors of the Holocaust didn’t break Edith. In
Published September 5th 2017 by Scribner

To ask other readers questions about The Choice, please sign up.
Mike Yes & I recommend it. I wrote a short "review" of it. Conceptually similar to Viktor Frankl's Man's Search for Meaning. It's a powerful book about…moreYes & I recommend it. I wrote a short "review" of it. Conceptually similar to Viktor Frankl's Man's Search for Meaning. It's a powerful book about overcoming suffering.(less)

·  12,861 ratings  ·  1,455 reviews

Maureen
Aug 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
**4.5 STARS **

Please try to remember that what they believe, as well as what they do and cause you to endure does not testify to your inferiority but to their inhumanity”
― James Baldwin, The Fire Next Time

I could never find the right words and phrases to describe what a moving yet uplifting memoir this is. Edith Eger was just 16 years old in 1944 when she entered the gates of hell - Auschwitz. Her grandparents and mother and father were sent to the gas chamber under the
Elyse (retired from reviewing/semi hiatus) Walters
“Time doesn’t heal. It’s what you do with time. Healing is possible when we choose to take responsibility, when we choose to take risks, and finally, when we choose to release the wound, to let go of the past or the grief”.

The above excerpt is true - but that doesn’t mean it’s easy - or can be achieved by waving a magic wand- or positive thinking it alone. We’d only be fooling ourselves.
It’s more involved than simply stating a mantra.

But.... I’m getting ahead of myself.
The most important thi
Louise Wilson
Aug 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dr Edith Eva Eger is an eminent psychologist whose own experiences as a Holocaust survivor helps her treat patients and allows them to escape the prisons of their own minds.

Edith Eger was just sixteen when the Nazis came to her hometown of Hungry and took the Jewish family to an interment centre and then to Auschwitz. Her parents were then sent to the gas chamber by Joseph Menele. Edith was demanded by Menele to waltz "The Blue Danube" just a few hours after her parents were murdered
Karen
Oct 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is the memoir of Dr. Edith Eger, age 90...an internationally acclaimed psychologist and one of the few remaining Holocaust survivors. At the age of sixteen, along with her parents and sister Magda, was sent to Auschwitz.
Edie and Magda survived multiple death camps, and Edie was found barely alive in a pile of corpses when American Troops liberated the camps in 1945.
Such an extraordinary book on survival and stories of how she has helped others to heal by confronting their suffer
Nicola
Dec 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“Just remember “

“No one can take away from you what you’ve put in your mind”

In a dark cattle wagon on the way to Auschwitz these are the words that 16 year old Edith’s mother speaks to her. Words that for the rest of her life she will continue to return to and draw strength from.

In 1944 in Nazi occupied Hungary,Jewish 16 year old Edith (an aspiring ballerina and gymnast) her sister Magda and her parents are sent to Auschwitz.

It is there that Edith is selected by ‘Angel
Kathleen
This is a beautiful, absolutely pitch-perfect memoir by Dr. Edith Eger. I was not familiar with Dr. Eger prior to reading this, and I am grateful to her for sharing her story.

The book is organized into four sections: Prison, Escape, Freedom, and Healing. I would describe it as three parts memoir, one part therapy. It would be enough, simply for nanogeneraian Dr. Eger to tell us her story and share the important events she witnessed in her lifetime. But she is not satisfied to make this book onl
Paul Lockman
5 stars
Absorbing. Brilliant. A truly inspirational read.
What a woman! Edith Eger is now 90 years old and has given the world this outstanding memoir of her survival in Auschwitz as a teenager and then her life after WWII when she and her husband emigrated to America and all the while describing how she has dealt with being a survivor and her path to self-acceptance, self-fulfilment and inner peace. The book cover has a quote from Desmond Tutu, ‘A gift to humanity. One of those rare a
Lisa Vegan
full 5 stars book

It’s a great mix of holocaust, biography, psychology, though it’s mostly her personal story, with various family members, and to a lesser extent some of her patients included. It’s extremely readable and it flows beautifully, and I didn’t want to put it down.

It’s a compelling account, and it’s powerful, and for me with “punches to the gut” emotional.

It seems that she wants readers/others to feel empowered by her story and with what she’s learned about healing and l
Cheri
At the age of 16, Edith Eva Eger, Edie to her friends, was living in Kosice, Slovakia when she, along with one of her two sisters, her mother and father were forced to leave their home behind, and removed to a labor camp, followed by their transfer to Auschwitz. It was the last day she would ever see her mother, and where her parents were executed.

”Survivors don’t have time to ask, ‘Why me?’ For survivors, the only relevant question is, ‘What now?’”

Dr. Josef Mengele has requested entertainment by o
Samantha
I will admit that I did not expect to enjoy this book. I thought it was going to be another holocaust memoir with a hint of psychological analysis. But man, was I wrong.
This book was beautifully written, and was a struggle to put down every night. This book was a small exercise in self-help, disguised as a gorgeous memoir. The Choice has genuinely made me change how I think about life.

I would highly recommend this book.
Chrissie
This book is more than a holocaust memoir. Look at the title--The Choice: Embrace the Possible. It does detail the author’s holocaust experiences, but it goes further. Its primary focus concerns how to live life after surviving a trauma, any trauma. It is more about living than it is about death. The tone of the book is positive, not negative. Changin ...more
Hans
Mar 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Easily six stars! I don't have words to describe this gem. Just read it yourself!
Linda
Aug 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I once had the opportunity to hear Christopher Reeves speak after he was paralyzed from his neck down. He was confined to a wheelchair, dependent on a ventilator to breath and yet I was totally amazed at all he had accomplished after his accident...how he did not allow his body to imprison him. Tears flowed through out the audience as he shared his story . I do not think anyone could leave that day without being inspired.

Amazing as it is, Edy Eger and her book have impacted me even m
Ruth O'hagan
Aug 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This was one of the most beautiful and inspiring books I have ever read. Edith tells the story her extraordinary. The main premise of the book is how she highlights her extraordinary experience as a Holocaust survivor and the how she learned to heal herself. Edith gently takes the reader by the hand vividly guides the reader on a journey of her past and present through this book. The most compelling section of the book is when she retells her experience in the concentration camps. She explains i ...more
Maria João
Jul 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
No words to describe this. It's life-changing and I will never forget what I read here. Thank you so much for sharing your story, Dr. Eger. It truly was one of the most inspiring books I've ever read.
May 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: four-star
An uplifting and powerful lifetime memoir documenting not only the authors experience in Auschwitz but also the longer term recovery, both physically and psychologically. This was an unexpected read in the sense that I anticipated much of the book to be focused on wartime; when in actual fact, only the first third was. The latter parts of the book focus on the authors personal life as she nurtured a family and works as a psychologist.

This was different to many books of a similar genre but I enj
Tati
Jul 26, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Never forget. Never again

Years ago, I've had the chance of visiting a concentration camp. It was a haunted place, a place that had its soul burnt in the crematories. It is a dark and heavy feeling to know that someone very likely died or feared for their lives where you are casually stepping. It was not a happy visit. But it was a necessary visit, one I think every human being should make, so that the horror of the Holocaust is not allowed to happen again.

That being said, I somet
Kym Moore
Oct 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
How does one survive negative feelings and destructive patterns of behavior resulting from depression, worthlessness, grief, facing death, inadequacy or even survivor's guilt?

This is an excellent book, but I must warn you that it was a very emotional read that made it difficult to get through without crying (a lot). It's so much more than just a powerful memoir. As a survivor of Auschwitz, yet struggling with flashbacks and survivor's guilt, Dr. Edith Eva Eger's journey gives you hop
Gary
Aug 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Tracey Anderson
Mar 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This isn't just a memoir about living through the holocaust, in fact Edith's time in the concentration camps is a very small part of the story. This is a memoir about recovering and moving on. Learning how to for forgive yourself for things that happened when you had no control over your life. Every day we make choices for ourselves without even thinking about it and those choices can effect your life and the people around us. How do we forgive ourself when those choices have such catastrophic c ...more
Leila
This is for me, an unforgettable book which I will go back to many times. It is full of such pain, honesty, truth and many more emotions which are threading through the full story. The terrible experiences of a Jewish girl taken prisoner by the Nazis and sent to their prison camps, especially Auschwitz is told during the first part of the book but then there is so much wisdom, humanity, love, pain and understanding throughout the second part. It is not an easy book to review for there is so much ...more
Lynn
Aug 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow, double wow. This is a memoir about a woman who survived Auschwitz as a child. She went on to be a famous psychologist known for helping people recover from trauma.

There are many books about surviving the holocaust but not as many about the saga of recovery. This one does both. Once her story reaches adulthood she expertly weaves in patient case studies with issues relevant to her own struggles.

She offers many pearls of wisdom but I have a favorite: there is no hierarchy of pain. Everyone'
Adele Shea
Aug 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Words can not express the feelings and emotions I felt reading The Choice.
To read first hand what a POW had to endure, saddens me but I also feel privileged that Edith Eger has shared her horrific story with us.
Edith Eger, is most definitely up there in the top ten strongest people I have ever learned about. Such a wonderfully strong woman, she's not afraid to admit are weakness. I feel, to speak of your weaknesses makes you stronger.

Note: the last 10% of the book is just index and
Paul
Sep 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have once again returned to the subject of the war and in turn the Holocaust. It is a subject I have read a great deal about in recent time covering both fiction and nonfiction, this time, however, there is a slight twist in the narrative. Edith is a Holocaust survivor and when many choose to talk about the horrific event that befell them during there time in Auschwitz this author has taken a different approach to the subject at hand. She has chosen to discuss how you move on from such an eve ...more
Alfred Nobile
This was a book that was recommended to me. And what a book it was. A book of great breadth and scope. A book of the triumph of the human spirit in the face of adversity and man's inhumanity to man.
A triumph of the human spirit in the face of extraordinary evil.
A search for not revenge, which will only perpetuate the evil.
A search not to change the past, which never will never change.
A search that leads to being not defined by the past and a search that ultimately leads to for
Gary
Aug 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a remarkable story written by Dr. Edith Eva Eger who in 1944 as a sixteen-year-old was sent to Auschwitz and endured unimaginable experiences, including being made to dance for the infamous Josef Mengele.
The book tells of her bravery that helped her sister to survive and led to her bunk mates rescuing her during a death march. When the camp was finally liberated, Edith was pulled from a pile of bodies, barely alive and survived to tell this remarkable story. The book is about a lot
Helen (TBC)
Sep 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A truly humbling, at times heartbreaking but uplifting book

This amazing woman, who is a survivor of Auschwitz and the most heinous crimes against humanity, has written about her childhood, her internment, and her life in Hungary and the US after the war, her struggles as an immigrant with little English, her own marital problems and her growth into a highly respected clinical psychologist who, drawing from her own experiences helped others to free themselves from the prisons created
Dawn
I finished this book last month but finally adding it on here after the holidays. Profound and unbelievable. Gathering my thoughts and will post review soon. I will note now that this is hands down the best audio narration I’ve ever listened to. Actress Tovah Feldshuh was superb.
Sherry
Jul 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Excellent book!
Mary
Apr 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Words cannot Express how amazing this book was. Dealt with concentration camps how she escaped and her life after. Amaxing
Goodreads Librari...: Author info fix/extra author page 5 22 Jul 24, 2017 09:52PM

• Playing It by Heart: Taking Care of Yourself No Matter What
  • The Diary of Mary Berg: Growing up in the Warsaw Ghetto
  • To See You Again: A True Story of Love in a Time of War
  • The View from the Ground
  • I Remember Nothing More: The Warsaw Children's Hospital and the Jewish Resistance
  • Where Memory Leads: My Life
  • American Nightingale: The Story of Frances Slanger, Forgotten Heroine of Normandy
  • The Inextinguishable Symphony: A True Story of Music and Love in Nazi Germany
  • Kiss Me, I'm Yours (Tennessee Waltz, #2)
  • The Cut Out Girl: A Story of War and Family, Lost and Found
  • Castles Burning: A Child's Life in War
  • The Door with Seven Locks
  • Ten Green Bottles: The True Story of One Family's Journey from War-torn Austria to the Ghettos of Shanghai
  • But You Did Not Come Back
  • The Cap: The Price Of A Life
  • Left to the Mercy of a Rude Stream: The Bargain That Broke Adolf Hitler and Saved My Mother
  • The Reawakening
  • The Auschwitz Volunteer: Beyond Bravery
“Our painful experiences aren’t a liability—they’re a gift. They give us perspective and meaning, an opportunity to find our unique purpose and our strength.” 45 likes
“We don’t know where we’re going, we don’t know what’s going to happen, but no one can take away from you what you put in your own mind.” 36 likes