Start by marking “Trust No Aunty” as Want to Read:
Trust No Aunty

Trust No Aunty

Based on her popular Instagram @Hatecopy and her experience in a South Asian immigrant family, artist Maria Qamar has created a humorous, illustrated “survival guide” to deal with overbearing “Aunties,” whether they’re family members, annoying neighbors, or just some random ladies throwing black magic your way.

We’ve all experienced interference from our Aunties—they are at
Published August 1st 2017 by Gallery Books

To ask other readers questions about Trust No Aunty, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Trust No Aunty

Start your review of Trust No Aunty
Sana
'In our culture, one could say it's damn near criminal not to know how to make a good cup of chai.'

I had way too much fun reading this! The section on colorism is so on point and it's great reading about all the different kinds of aunties because truth LOL. There are definitely some, if not all, relatable things in here.

'When I was growing up, the only culinary advice my mother passed down to me was "get out of my kitchen"' —also actually my mom

I love that there seems to be much more
Lata
Sep 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I giggled and chuckled my way through this exuberantly-illustrated advice book. Maria Qamar's art is a reminiscent of Roy Lichstenstein, but with a desi sensibility. There were many times I found myself nodding, wincing, and grinning. If you grew up desi in a Western country, aunties and their meddling are a huge part of your life; Maria Qamar's irreverent take on aunties is light and funny while dispensing advice on navigating the two cultures.
Saania Zee Jamal ϟ
A physical collection of these masterpieces?

Don't mind if I do.
Hafsa
Oct 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
I mean I was hooked at the dedication - WHEN DOES THAT EVER HAPPEN?! Recipes, tips, and a guide on how to survive different types of aunties all of us encounter in our lives with Qamar's sass and aesthetically pleasing artwork - what else do you need in a book?

The themes and content of this book were not only relatable because it's particularly aimed at people like me but also because of how the author shared her own experiences, and instead of making this a 'survival guide', gave it a more
Elora K
Jan 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I remember the day I realized I was turning into an aunty. It was tragic. But I’ve learned to accept it since then.

I READ THIS ENTIRE THING IN ONE FELL SWOOP THE MINUTE I PULLED IT OUT OF ITS BOX. A BOOK FILLED WITH HILARIOUS, ACCURATE AF OBSERVATIONS, MANY OF WHICH I’VE BEEN SCREAMING ABOUT FOR YEARS. (Chai tea lattes. Solutions to matchmaking scenarios. The workout regimen and lack of kitchen skills. Job security. WHY DON’T MINI ROTI EXIST.)

I want every brown person I’ve ever met to read
Mallika Mahidhar
Mar 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Maria is a goddamn queen and genius. The book is a beautiful work of art while being a perfect portrayal of aunties and Indian (and other neighbouring countries too, I am sure) culture.
Heidi Burkhart
Jan 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Clever, hilarious, informative and unique! Worth every minute for this terrific GN.
Anne
Oct 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
LOVE THE ART. LOVE THE QUIP. LOVE IT ALL.
Sara-Jayne
Aug 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
You guys, I'm totally obsessed with this hilarious book. Maria Qamar is wise and witty and crazy talented. Her ideal Bollywood movie and descriptions of types of guys she's dated were legit cracking me up. I also loved how it gave me genuine insights into parts of South Asian culture I wasn't familiar with, and also bits that I connected with from my own experience. Plus I am super excited to try out the recipes for kheer zara and daal.
Ankur
Mar 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book gave me life! I laughed, I cried (from laughter), I read certain pages out loud for the rest of the family to hear. I tried to figure out which type of Aunty my mom would be, and could definitely see people matching the other "Aunty" descriptions.

This was a fun, light-hearted, easy read, with some great recipes as a bonus! Highly recommend it to anyone needing some laughter in their lives.
Murtaza Kuwarawala
Oct 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Book Title : Trust No Aunty

Author : Maria Qamar

Genre : Humor / Hard Hitting Reality

Are you a Desi Girl? Are you someone who has been brought up in a desi household family? Then no fear when aunty is here. I had picked up this graphic purely on recommendation by my other reader friends and honestly speaking, the book is truly hard hitting.

Leonicka
Jun 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: diverse, canadian
Such a fun book! Beautiful art, hilarious insight and tons of useful tips.
Vanshika Prusty
Jul 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was so good!
Touchstone Books
Nov 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
If you don't follow @hatecopy on Instagram yet, do it now. Maria Qamar's art is exuberant, unique, and hilarious, and so is this book.
Neeyati
Even funnier than expected + SUCH beautiful art! Also behind the humor, this is a sneakily useful guide for desi ~rude betis~ in the diaspora who want to celebrate the aunties, community, and culture we come from but also want to critique the problems within desi culture and define our own relationship to it. I say "sneaky" only because I would be perfectly happy with humor alone, and it's there on every page, but at the same time Maria Qamar (IG: hatecopy) is on point with millennial diaspora ...more
P.
Jul 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Humorous tongue-in-cheek book on Indian (and Asian, really) aunty-types with color pictures and quotes. Includes useful advice for avoiding problems with the family and "boss moves" to stay out of trouble in various aspects of your life. It is difficult to read on the Kindle, though, so docking one star for not being more user friendly on e-reader devices.
Alicia
Aug 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I smiled through this whole book of absolutely hilarious explanations of aspects of Desi culture. The art is gorgeous too!
Kirsten Hankinson
Dec 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Desi and non-desi alike should give it a read! It’s hilarious and a good reminder to not be the Aunty standing in your own way.
Amina Ahsan
Dec 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Laugh out loud funny. Such a witty and hilarious take on all the issues that every desi girl deals with everyday.
Mehvish
Nov 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a fun filled book!! Recipes, tips, and a guide on how to deal with different types of aunties all of us encounter in our lives with Maria Qamar's sass and aesthetically pleasing illustrations - what more do you need in a book?! The illustrations are BEAUTIFUL and incorporated so well. It's a really entertaining book which you will finish in just one sitting. I've never personally related to anything so strongly before!
Joseph
Apr 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
A really funny and smart book, even for a non-Desi like me.
ankita
Jan 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: desi, graphic-novels
Amazing, so funny, and a great read.
Aman
Jan 22, 2018 rated it it was ok
Great artwork, the content is lacking
Andrea Lorenz
This was fun. Obviously I'm not the target audience, but I still really liked this. Maria's stories were interesting and funny and brilliantly illustrated. I'd love to see more.
Navina Lotay
Sep 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This. Book. Was. Amazing. So funny, so accurate. Perfectly captures the experience of being a South Asian woman in the western world. I identified with so many of the experiences the author wrote about, and literally laughed out loud at many of them. I highly recommend this.
Ryan
Jan 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Finished “Trust No Aunty” by Maria Qamar, a humorous graphic take on a self-help book on how to deal with an “Aunty.” • I didn’t know what to aspect exactly from this book but I loved the artwork so I picked it up. It was really funny with great art and it even included recipes. • Hardcover • Nonfiction - Humor, Memoir, Self-Help • • Recommended by Pop Culture Happy Hour podcast. ...more
Lynne
Jul 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
A light and entertaining read. Also super relatable!
Andleeb
Dec 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Every first gen Asian Indian woman should read this! I laughed and reminisced and decided to share this best friend’s daughter and sign it as “girl power aunty.” Also, please stop ordering chai tea latte’s- I agree with Maria, you sound redundant and it’s not cool.
Barbara McEwen
While not exactly aimed at me, I couldn't resist checking out this book with it's great sense of humor and gorgeous colorful art. I will admit, I am not one for advice or self help books but this one is funny and has some pretty solid, if somewhat basic, life advice. Advice still applicable for a white girl with no real Aunties. Though I have to admit I have long noticed the Aunties in other cultures and been a little bit jealous despite their meddling!
Anukriti Geekybibliophilictraveller/ kaleidoscopicnerdy
This hilarious book, dedicated to all aunties (we'll become aunties too someday!) by the author, is the author's experience of living as an Desi immigrant in Canada and juggling her identities and finally finding her voice through drawing. The dedication reminded me of the fact how I'm tired of kids saying, "Aunty, will the dog bite." The classy person that I'm, my reply always is- "If you say aunty once more, I'll leave him on you. " I'm a bad bitch like that. But he’ll probably just run ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Good Girls Marry Doctors: South Asian American Daughters on Obedience and Rebellion
  • Anecdotes of a White Collared Slave
  • The 117-Story Treehouse: Dots, Plots & Daring Escapes!
  • One Day We'll All Be Dead and None of This Will Matter