Start by marking “The End of Lawyers?: Rethinking the Nature of Legal Services” as Want to Read:
The End of Lawyers?: Rethinking the Nature of Legal Services

The End of Lawyers?: Rethinking the Nature of Legal Services

The End of Lawyers? is the much-anticipated sequel to Richard Susskind's legal best-seller of 1996, The Future of Law. Ten years on, and half-way towards the twenty-year vision he set out, Susskind takes stock of progress, introduces vital new emerging technologies, and envisages even more radical change to the legal world than before.
This is a world in which, at least i
Published January 15th 2009 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published November 20th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The End of Lawyers?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The End of Lawyers?

Start your review of The End of Lawyers?: Rethinking the Nature of Legal Services
Phillip Taylor
Jan 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing
WARNING! WARNING! THE END IS NIGH!

I’m reminded of Blair’s treacherous mission for Frank Field – “think the unthinkable”. He did and got sacked! Susskind is made of different stuff (I hope) with this rethink on the nature of our legal services.

Academic Susskind has been thinking the unthinkable here, too. It’s worth it after inconclusive attempts by Labour to introduce new packages on legal services, a commission, far too much regulation, and a “push me, pull you” policy on conditional fee agreem
Ashley Shan
Dec 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Reading a 2010 publication at the end of 2020, I'm a little disturbed by how much Richard Susskind's predictions materialized and how much legal practices evolved in just a decade (they didn't have law blogs, law podcasts, automated form contracts...?!). Some of the other predictions do seem to be what you'd find from a non-tech person's wishlist, although the lack of progress there (I suspect) could be due more to a lack of industry attention than technical limitations.

I wish the author took a
Ernest
Jul 26, 2011 rated it liked it
This book was interesting and thought provoking. Although not for everyone (even not for people in the law), the ideas and concepts discussed will affect both lawyers and those who use lawyers. While I did not agree with everything the author concluded and proposed, the arguments were persuasively put and were as a result of well measured, considered responses.

Particular mention must be made of the fact that the author posted chapters and ideas of the text online as he was writing it, to receiv
Jamie
Jun 05, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2011
This book just felt very dated to me, a sort of "prediction" mired in obvious observations. I assume that the book was groundbreaking ten years ago, but it felt very flat. I also felt that many of the author's assumptions about technological innovation lacked deeper reflection. What about professionalism? What about maintaining client confidentiality? What about the challenges of maintaining IT staff to support your twelve new platforms? And, the most obvious question to me, how much TIME does a ...more
Thomas C.
Jul 24, 2009 rated it really liked it
I agree that this book was a difficult scholarly read, with more reference to application in UK than the US, however, the issues presented are of major importance, and Susskind poses some very interesting queries that all lawyers need to seriously and carefully consider. My view after reading the book - We must not allow dinosaurs to continue to hold us back!

On the lighter side I did note that being from Scotland he had to reference single malt scotch at least once, notably toward the end of th
Matt
Dec 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
A controversial and thought-provoking read from the UK. The author condenses his 20 years experience into a critique and vision of the modern legal system. For the entrenched, old-school lawyers the future is bleak. For the modern entrepreneurial practitioner, the future holds a bewildering set of challenges and opportunities. Not every section will apply to folks with different experience and backgrounds. Five stars if the book had provided more up to date, American examples. Of course the exam ...more
Braňo Welter
Jan 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The book was issued in 2008. I would recommend more actual book from the same author, issued in 2013: Tomorrow's Lawyers: An Introduction to Your Future.

However even the second book is becomming dated with the spread of Qualified Electronic Signatures (look for EIDAS regulation in EU) and (decentralised) smart-contracts.

But the books deal with much more, so it is not straight outdated reading, and the reading is straight-forward.
Ryan
May 07, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: legal
I strongly agree with the thesis Susskind puts forth in this book; namely, that technology will significantly disrupt the legal industry and that most lawyers are not prepared for this change. However, the book itself is a tough read. It's both unnecessarily abstract and verbose. To be really helpful to its intended audience, I believe the book should be more direct, more anecdotal, and more prescriptive.

Again, love the ideas, but the presentation was lacking.
Michael
Feb 24, 2010 rated it really liked it
This book will sell my business... assuming we're both right. ...more
Alie
Jan 28, 2010 rated it really liked it
Mr Susskind helped my dissertation no end, he actually makes the theory of legal practice easily digesible.
Chad
Dec 29, 2010 rated it did not like it
Old ideas. Nothing new to add. This guy is behind the curve when he thinks he is predicting the future.
Andrew White
Jan 05, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Disappointing. A fairly simple set of ideas blown out into far too much detail for me.
Bryan
Interesting predictions about the changing model of legal services as technology evolves
Dilip Massand
Mar 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Though this book was written in 2008, I would say that it is a must read for all practicing lawyers, and anyone interested in the legal profession. Susskind has been one of the foremost thought leaders on the way the legal profession is changing in terms of technology, delivery, service and access to justice. For someone who went to law school over 20 years ago, maintained their license, but pursued entrepreneurship such as myself , it helped open my mind and see the opportunities that exist for ...more
Hung Pham
May 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Pretty good picture on the legal market position in respect of technology application
Ziga
Nov 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A great book about the future of legal business. Richard Susskind in 1990s predicted that in the future lawyers will mostly communicate with their clients via e-mail. He was correct. With this book he is going a step forward and some of his predictions are slowly coming true. Although this book is about eight years old it is worth a read for every lawyer or law student.
Tony Poerio
Nov 28, 2016 rated it liked it
Sorting through old books. I read this one a few years back, when I was considering law school. Interesting read about technology & opportunities for innovation in the legal services industry. And despite the technical nature, an entertaining read.
Alison Llewellyn
Jun 04, 2014
Francisco Guarani
Dec 12, 2020
Zam
rated it did not like it
May 21, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Justin C Freeman 1 1 Jul 19, 2018 04:11AM

• The Nine: Inside the Secret World of the Supreme Court
  • Το νούμερο 31328
  • Breakfast Bible: 100+ Favorite Recipes to Start the Day (Williams Sonoma)
  • Brief Answers to the Big Questions
  • The Evening and the Morning
  • Fantasyland: How America Went Haywire: A 500-Year History
  • The Origins of Political Order: From Prehuman Times to the French Revolution
  • I Will Teach You to Be Rich: No Guilt. No Excuses. No BS. Just a 6-Week Program That Works
  • What Your CPA Isn't Telling You: Life-Changing Tax Strategies
  • A Guide to the Good Life: The Ancient Art of Stoic Joy
  • But What If We're Wrong? Thinking About the Present As If It Were the Past
  • The Wisdom of Crowds
  • Debt Is Slavery: And 9 Other Things I Wish My Dad Had Taught Me about Money
  • How Democratic Is the American Constitution?
  • The 360 Degree Leader: Developing Your Influence from Anywhere in the Organization
  • How Music Got Free: The End of an Industry, the Turn of the Century, and the Patient Zero of Piracy
  • American Carnage: On the Front Lines of the Republican Civil War and the Rise of President Trump
  • Loonshots: How to Nurture the Crazy Ideas That Win Wars, Cure Diseases, and Transform Industries
Richard Susskind OBE