Start by marking “Kingdom of Ashes (Nightfall, #1)” as Want to Read:
Kingdom of Ashes (Nightfall, #1)

Read Book

Kingdom of Ashes

(Nightfall #1)

Myra never witnessed the Nightfall. She has only heard stories from the eldest among them; tales of the Old World and of the scientists who invented the WeatherWizard - a technological innovation that controls the weather. Unfortunately, the device also gave an ambitious vampire prince the means to cover the world in impenetrable clouds, allowing his armies to crawl out of ...more
Published October 30th 2016 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform

To ask other readers questions about Kingdom of Ashes, please sign up.
Elena May Hi Jenny,

Thank you so much for your question (and enthusiasm)!

Hi Jenny,

Thank you so much for your question (and enthusiasm)!

Men and Monsters is released in 2018. I can't give you the exact date yet since there's still some work to do -- editing, slightly tweaking a few parts, and even writing a couple of missing scenes. But keeping you waiting is the last thing I'd want, and I can't wait to get the book to you! I can't release the book until I'm sure it's the best it can be, but I might be able to distribute a few proof copies before editing is finalized and before publication date.

Also, a large part of Men and Monsters covers Prince Vladimir's story, including some of his human years and his early vampire years. Last week I had the opportunity to visit some of the places where he goes adventuring, and I got really inspired! Although I've already finished writing this part, now I'm planning to revisit it to make the scenes more vivid and help readers experience what Vlad does.

Can't wait to finish the work on Men and Monsters and to make it available to you and everyone else!(less)
Elena May Hi Bookie Books! Thank you so much for your interest in Kingdom of Ashes! I've always tried to make the book accessible to everyone, and I'm really so…moreHi Bookie Books! Thank you so much for your interest in Kingdom of Ashes! I've always tried to make the book accessible to everyone, and I'm really sorry about the high paperback price. Unfortunately, it's impossible to reduce it: the main reason is that it's a long book--540 pages--and has high printing costs. It's published through Createspace, which has certain fees based on the page count, and £15 is literally the lowest value I'm allowed to set for this book size (I get 0.67 USD out of each sale... the rest are all fixed fees for Createspace and Amazon and can't get any lower). Amazon has the option to reduce the price, but I have no control over that. Thankfully, I have much greater control over the ebook price, and it's currently discounted at £0.99! Hope that helps!

And if you're set on a physical copy, I occasionally run giveaways, so keep an eye for those. Sadly, Goodreads recently restricted its Giveaways to readers located only in the US, which I really, really dislike, but I sometimes run paperback giveaways on my website and elsewhere.(less)

Start your review of Kingdom of Ashes (Nightfall, #1)
Katerina
Oct 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, dystopia, paranormal
“She had become the author of her own fate.”

And Elena May became the author of a remarkable debut!

I hadn't read a book focusing solely on vampires for a very long time. I went through my vampire phase in high school, meaning I attended every single Twilight premiere and hung Edward posters on my bedroom walls and fought Damon Salvatore's fans online (Stefan girl here) and dressed up as a vamprire on Halloween etc. Later, I decided that I grew up and was too old for this drama. So, wh
Wolf (Alpha)
Jan 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I liked that Myra was confident and strong and did not give up. I liked how it explained Myra's part in defeating Vlad. I liked that the book explained how Myra was confident and I liked how it explained the positions all the characters were in. I really enjoyed this book and plan on reading the Nightfall series. I reaceived this book from the author in exchange for my honest review.
Jeannette Nikolova
Apr 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Also available on the WondrousBooks blog.

Disclaimer: I received a copy of the book from the author in exchange for an honest review.

I have been very, very cautious with vampire books in the last couple of years. In fact, I don't remember the last vampire novel that I read, aside from re-reading The Historian and Dracula two years ago.

However, I read the synopsis of Kingdom of Ashes, and the many positive reviews, and I decided to give it a shot. And I'm glad I did!

This book reminded me why I
Minx
Aug 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Utterly alluring and remarkable! This story was set in a dystopian future where humanity is at the brink of annihilation. When I started this book I was struck by how Ms. May created a terrifying reality for humans who survived a harrowing extermination attempt. I so enjoyed the attention to detail that explained the positions of both the side of the vampires and the humans in this conflict. I was drawn to feel compassion for both species in this war and it can be compared to many past events th ...more
Fleur
Nov 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
First, I’d like to say thank you to the author, Elena May, for sending me a copy of her amazing new book. And chocolate. Chocolate and books are always appreciated.

Kingdom of Ashes focuses on Myra, a girl who starts off with the same headstrong determination, black-and-white views and passion for writing as Briony Tallis in Ian McEwan’s Atonement. Myra is a member of the Resistance, a dwindling pocket of humans trying to overthrow the world-ruling vampire, Prince Vladimir. She’s sent on a missio
✶Rachelle✶
DNF at 52%

I will make him say he is proud of me, Myra thought. And then, only then, can I start thinking about killing him

That sentence was the last straw. I can't take it anymore. The MC is one of the dumbest I have ever read, and I read the first 3 books of Falling Kingdoms.

The dialogue was horrific. It was stilted, overly dramatic, and it had no natural flow. All of the humans in this book were just stupid. I'm not sure if this was on purpose or not. The only enjoyment I got out of the book
Kirsty (Amethyst Bookwyrm)
Sep 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: review, dystopia, author
Thanks to Elena May for giving me this book to review.

Kingdom of Ashes is a really good paranormal dystopian novel which is fast paced and raised good questions about morality and what it is to be human. I love the mix of post-apocalyptic with the gothic paranormal the book has. I also liked that where was not any romance between Myra and any of the vampires in this book as it was refreshing and would have been detrimental to the story.

Myra is naïve and creative but she is also very self-centre
Humay Mejidova
Aug 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned, signed
I want to thank Elena May for sending me a free copy of Kingdom of Ashes.
To be honest I had some prejudices against YA novels and I expected it to have a dull and common storyline but after reading Kingdom of Ashes my opinion changed in a good way.
I think Myra shows us you do not need to be physically strong to be called a heroine. In fact Myra's writing skills are her only weapon. The parts I enjoyed most were witty conversations between Myra and Prince Vladimir. I hope the second book of Nig
Elizabeth Mathis
Myra never witnessed the Nightfall. She has only heard stories from the eldest among them; tales of the Old World and of the scientists who invented the WeatherWizard—a technological innovation that controls the weather. Unfortunately, the device also gave an ambitious vampire prince the means to cover the world in impenetrable clouds, allowing his armies to crawl out of their caves and conquer all.

Vampires rule over the New World, breeding humans for food. After fifty years of guerrilla warfare
Magda Żmijan
In a world, where vampires took over a weather-controlling device, people were reduced to small groups of resistance that hide and try fighting for their survival. They're becoming desperate. Hiding in caves, away from the sun is slowly killing them. The only way to win is to kill the vampire prince and try to take over the Weather Wizard.

Myra's mission is simple - ambush and kill the vampire leader. She volunteers for the task to prove she can be useful and strong. Their plan seemed to be good,
Parnita Tolia
Jul 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I received eARC of "Kingdom of Ashes" by Elena May
At first I thought this going to be a predictable paranormal dystopian work with a love triangle thrown in
Its not. It is so much more..
Its situated in a post apocalyptic world "Nightfall" where the vampires underneath the Prince Vladmir have overtaken the Weather Wizard, A technology which manipulate the weather (why am not surprised that humans developed something that caused them doom)
Our Protagonist is Myra born in the world of darkness & dre
William Bitner Jr.
Genre - Dystopian/Fantasy/Vampire/Young Adult
Pages - 400

Having just finished reading “Kingdom of Ashes (Nightfall, Book One)” by Elena May I continue to have faith in Young Adult Fiction and found this read to be quite entertaining. I want to thank Elena for providing me with an eCopy of this her debut book. I will say from the get go that if you are looking for a full stop ending to this story you will most likely be disappointed. You will have to continue the story in Book Two “Men and Monster
Xochitl
I didn't expect this book to be so good!!!!! I just really loved it!!!
I really liked how the tables are turned. The vampires are the one ruling the world and the humans are the ones in hiding.
Would really want to read the next book!!!! I HAVE TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENS NEXT!!!!!!
Lydia
Nov 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
I received a free ARC of this book in exchange for a fair and honest review.
The novel, Kingdom of Ashes by Elena May, while not having an original title (I know of at least two others with the same name and have read one of them), is probably the most original book on vampires I have ever read. Sticking to the foundation of the original vampires in literature, Elena May builds a new layer on top of this already famous monster. What is this new layer? You’ll have to read to find out!
The story beg
Marissa
Mar 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome read!

I loved the story. The main character was relatable and interesting and her inner struggles about the morality of her actions with the vampires was amazing to read. This book is definitely in my top 10.
Cinder
May 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Kingdom of Ashes has an unique premise, as it is not as common to have a book about vampires that focuses on art and what makes humans "human." The book was pretty long and was at some points predictable, but the story flowed and was engaging. It was also surprisingly nice to have a book without a love interest, and the only romance was between side characters.

Myra was a relatable character, as she tried to conform to the rest of the Resistance (by being brave and volunteering to go on the miss
Kathy
Mar 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Disclaimer: I won this book on Goodreads.

This is a good dystopian fantasy story. The characters are well-described and have their own backstories. I could see the castle rooms and the surrounding lands in my mind. The vampires were manipulative and mostly evil. The one human who did want to be a vampire seemed shoehorned into the plot. There was no human-vampire love story. However, that makes the main character's actions even more incomprehensible as the book progresses. Her incessant need for
Coral
Aug 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
What I really liked about this book was that there was no "good" or "evil", and everyone was somewhere in between. You don't often get that in this kind of book.

The reason why I haven't given it 5 stars, though, is that I felt there was sometimes something a bit awkward in the writing, but it is still definitely worth reading.
Mark
May 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It’s been a while since I last read a young adult fantasy book. You might have noticed the lack of that genre in this blog. The reason being is, aside from I want to make this blog as diverse as possible, meaning I want to read different books of different genres, I am more of a contemporary type of YA reader. The last young adult fantasy book that I can remember reading was Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas which was like ages ago. But from time to time though, when my mood switches, I crave for ...more
Vy
Jun 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Sulime
Jun 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, 2018
After "Twilight", I had given up on vampire fiction. I was sick of the old “teenaged girl falls in love with sexy dark lord who abuses her, but it’s okay because he loves her” paranormal romance trope.

And, boy, was I glad to find out that this book is different.

Well, Myra is still a teenager and self-proclaimed "Prince" Vladimir is still pretty attractive for a mass murderer. There’s also some “Beauty and the Beast” in here, with Myra being held in a castle by her enemies and slowly growing to
Simeon Minev
Oct 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Truly a great book, very entertaining and interesting story.By the end of it I felt as if I knew the characters personally and was there the entire time.Having a rather different taste in literature I was pleasantly surprised of how intrigued I was in this book and it's ability to keep me entertained throughout.I can't wait to see how the story goes after this book.
Tina.Reads
May 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
i have to say, i'm a big vampire fan and read many books of the genre. most of the times they are hidden in the night in a world of humans. this book gave it a different twist, in which humans had to stay hidden.
i really enjoyed this book, loved the worldbuilding and the dynamic between the lead caracters. so looking forward to how this story continues!!
Hennessy (Angel_of_Wyrd)
Apr 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Rating: 4 Stars
Kingdom of Ashes by Elena May is an apocalyptic novel that questions the resilience of humanity not just in body but in spirit. I actually chose to read this book because I stumbled across an incentive from the author saying that she would be sending out e-arcs of the second book to anyone who reviewed this first book. This e-book was also 99 cents at the time so I figured what the heck I like vampires and apocalypses so why not give it a shot.
Fifty years ago the vampires came p
Aud
Sep 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bloody good time

First off, I won this in a Goodreads giveaway.

Second, I feel this book might need some trigger or content warnings. The main character is subject to much emotional abuse from the vampires including violence and torture to other humans to get her to bend to their will and to isolate her from her fellow humans. That being said this IS a vampire story and not you sparkly vegetarian vampire story either so that's kinda par for the course.

I think my favorite thing in the book was this
Tina
Apr 24, 2018 rated it liked it
I both liked and disliked this book. The parts I disliked, I really disliked. But the parts I liked I utterly loved and they had me glued to my Kindle screen when I was supposed to be sightseeing in, coincidentally, the city where the author lives!

What I liked most about the book were the interactions between Myra, Vladimir, Armida, and Tristan. I loved the relationships between the four of them and look forward to seeing how they develop further in the sequel. I've seen some dislike of Myr
Mkittysamom
Fantasy with Real World Values

Amazing Powerful Story About War Sacrifice Prejudice Peace... the importance of hearing both sides of a story, humanity.. oh I could just go on!
Even learning how to write from a Vampire lol! I love love love this story! Read it straight through! The MC grows so much! There I so much packed into this dystopian fantasy war between humans and vampires. Things are not as black and white as they seem, and I think even Vampires still have humanity even though they see hu
Alyssa
Sep 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Rating 3.5 stars.
I feel like I should start out by saying I love the novel Dracula. It's a book I re-read almost every year, as a sort of Halloween treat to myself. Because of this, I'm typically wary of new vampire-centric novels. However, I'm glad I gave this book a chance, since I ended up really enjoying it. Cuddos to the author for making the vampires sympathetic, while not shying away from the monstrous things they sometimes did. I also enjoyed the way she explored how sometimes humans can
Kim Ledford
Apr 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Need book 2 now please! Got really into the world building, borrowing from mythology while remaining its own world. Loved the details on just enough history, description of the environment, animals, and art. It was easy to get inside Myra's head. Story is a little far-fetched to me with the focus on art instead of fighting the vampires. But I thought the focus on art made this unique and not just another vampire story. Did NOT appreciate the torture scene! It was probably a good climactic scene ...more
Shelby
May 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really liked how described the characters were and how they had their own back story. I also liked how strong and self-assured Myra was, she also did not give up on what she was doing. The Part that drew me in was how the vampires ruled the world and not humans. I loved the book!
(Sorry my first review not much of one to give feedback but I liked the book so much just wanted to say)
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Silvered Serpents (The Gilded Wolves, #2)
  • The Kingdom of Back
  • Dead Voices (Small Spaces #2)
  • Death and Night
  • Chosen Ones (The Chosen Ones, #1)
  • The Vishakanya's Choice
  • The Damned (The Beautiful, #2)
  • The Vanishing Deep
  • Fierce Like a Firestorm (Hibiscus Daughter, #2)
  • The Court of Miracles (Court of Miracles, #1)
  • Shielded (Shielded, #1)
  • Blood Countess (Lady Slayers #1)
  • Star-Touched Stories
  • Small Spaces (Small Spaces, #1)
  • A Crown of Wishes (The Star-Touched Queen, #2)
  • Aru Shah and the Song of Death (Pandava Quartet, #2)
  • Midnight Sun (Twilight, #5)
  • Blood & Honey (Serpent & Dove, #2)
Elena May writes fantasy in dystopian and historical settings. Born and raised in Bulgaria, she has studied in New Zealand and the US, worked in Germany and the UK, participated in various research or volunteer projects in Israel, Liechtenstein and Turkey, and traveled to over forty-five countries. In 2020 she relocated once again, this time to the land of little mermaids, ugly ducklings and snow ...more

Nightfall (3 books)
  • Men and Monsters (Nightfall, #2)
  • Throne of Blood (Nightfall, #3)