Start by marking “Lonen's War (Sorcerous Moons, #1)” as Want to Read:
Lonen's War (Sorcerous Moons, #1)

Lonen's War

(Sorcerous Moons #1)

An Unquiet Heart
Alone in her tower, Princess Oria has spent too long studying her people’s barbarian enemies, the Destrye—and neglected the search for calm that will control her magic and release her to society. Her restlessness makes meditation hopeless and her fragility renders human companionship unbearable. Oria is near giving up. Then the Destrye attack, and her peopl
Published July 19th 2016 by Brightlynx Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Lonen's War, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lonen's War

Maria Rose
This review appears as a blog post as part of All About Romance's mini-reviews at: http://allaboutromance.com/midweek-mi...

This is the first story in the Sorcerous Moons series. It's a planned 3 book trilogy (I believe) and this story sets the stage for the romance between Oria and Lonen. As such, I wouldn't say this book itself is in the fantasy romance genre, but rather just fantasy as the two main characters, while they interact several times, do not have a romance between them as of yet. I a
Blodeuedd Finland
Jul 17, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasyromance
I did not really know who to root for at first. The Barbarian Horde was all kill them all! BUT they claimed that they had been attacked before. As for the people of Dara I only had Oria's opinion and she had no idea why they were attacking. Except for them being barbarians. So I was not too happy about the Destrye to be honest. And not at all when things comes to pass later on.

It's not a fantasy romance, there is not an inch of romance in it. But I guess there will be in coming books. Cos duh, y
Carol (StarAngel's Reviews) Allen
The story line was a great concept and I enjoyed it but when I got to the end...I wasn't sure if I wanted to continue...so....I did a bad thing - I read the synopsis of the rest of the series along with some of the reviews and got the cliffnotes of the rest of the series. It's just hard to commit to a 6 book series - especially with what was happening in the story (sorry...can't give anything away)
Alison
So, the second book was available on NetGalley and I requested it because Grace Draven raves about Jeffe Kennedy. I enjoyed Oria’s Gambit so much that I went back and bought Lonen's War.

Despite knowing pretty much everything that would happen in the novel I still enjoyed it.

Loner is the third son of King Archimago. Their kingdom of Dru is dying after vicious clawed golems steal their water and their lakes dry up. Tracing the golems back to their source they identify that the golems were sent by
Marlene
Jul 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Originally published at Reading Reality

If you like stories of overlooked princesses coming into their own in spite of withering expectations, you will love Lonen’s War. Likewise if you enjoy epic fantasy with lots of political skullduggery, ( like The Goblin Emperor and Sorcerer to the Crown) because this book certainly fills that bill as well.

And if you are a fan of Jeffe Kennedy’s Twelve Kingdoms series, you are going to absolutely adore this.

The story in Lonen’s War has strong resemblances to
Bambi Unbridled

I am stoked for a new fantasy romance series from the ever-creative Jeffe Kennedy! With this first installment of the Sorcerous Moons series, Jeffe has given me another hero with which I can ply my Jason Momoa fantasies. And that is always a good thing. I am finding that I like the fantastical tales that feature at least one barbarian race. This particular barbarian race, the Destrye, is reminiscent of the Korwahk in Kristen Ashley's The Golden Dynasty or the Dothraki in Game of Thrones.

The Bar
Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews
Gabi

This is the first book from Jeffe Kennedy I've read and I am NOT disappointed. I loved this work and Oria and Lonen.

To watch the war and hope for end end and then to watch Princess Oria grow and become who she is meant to be and to watch Lonen become the king he is was truly magical. I lived in the world and waited with baited breath as the plot twisted and turned. My only wish is for book 2 to come sooner!

Review copy provided for an honest review.
Grace Troxel
Apr 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
This review originally appeared on my blog, Books Without Any Pictures: http://bookswithoutanypictures.com/20...

I love Jeffe Kennedy’s books, and had been meaning to start her Sorcerous Moons trilogy for a while now. (And by “for a while” I mean “since 2016,” because my TBR pile has been known to get the better of me.) I finally charged my Kindle and got around to reading this one, and I have so many thoughts and feelings. Overall it was a quick and enjoyable read. And I’m not even gonna touch o
Holly
Apr 20, 2017 rated it it was ok

Somehow I missed that this was a series. So when I got to the 75% mark and the main couple of characters STILL hadn't moved beyond just talking to one another in a way that wasn't very personal, I started to get a little annoyed. As it turns out, they never get beyond that in this book. Disappointing. I am sure that changes in future books in this series but the plot on it's own was too simplistic and the characters a little too flat for me to bother with reading the next book.
Liza
Jul 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
I'm a pretty big fan of Jeffe Kennedy, though I admit I generally read her contemporary romances and this is my first time reading one of her fantasy books. First of all, it won't be my last and I'm so glad there is a backlist of books for me to tackle. Loren's War was a really great start to the Sorcerous Moons series.

Loren's War has much world building and I loved the pacing Jeffe Kennedy does with her world building. I've found when reading fantasy series, sometimes there is too much informat
Runa
Apr 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Kat
3.5 out of 5 stars

Okay, I'm intrigued.

Jeffe Kennedy's Lonen's War is an excellent example of a fantasy, coming of age story about a young princess who has spent her entire life being sheltered, who is then forced into a role of responsibility after the shit hits the fan.

Oria was definitely a likable heroine. She's brave, has a strong moral compass, and tenacious. I also understood why she stayed up in her tower her whole life. She had been taught that it was the right thing for her to do to keep
Melody
Feb 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A False Promise.

I liked this book. But I thought it was a romance. I thought eventually Oria and Lonen would actually consumate their marriage. I thought she would find he somehow was the perfect mate who would make her stronger than the evil threatening. This book ended abruptly so I looked to the next book's description to see if that is when they come together. No. So I looked at book three and book four. According to the descriptions they still can't even touch each other as of book 4. If th
Maureen Hoar
Dec 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
War amongst family....always intriguing

This story/ saga holds lots of interesting plot points. War over water, lies and disloyalties run amuck throughout this story. It is written in the voice of Lonen and Oria. They are from the warring cities trying to bring peace to their people. It seems that every pact they make there is someone in the background thwarting the tenuous peace. I found this book to be gripping and well paced. I still don't understand all the secrets of Orias people and their m
mlady_rebecca
This clearly falls in the multi-book epic category. I turned the page and found I was unexpectedly at the end of the book. So much easier to do with ebooks as opposed to physical ones. Bit of a cliffhanger at the end. Starting the next book immediately.

Not quite as entranced as I was by the other series I've read by this author -- those gold masks are creepy -- but compelling none the less. I like Loen & Oria & Oria's familiar (baby dragon the size of a hawk).
Rosie
Jun 12, 2017 rated it did not like it
Good lord this was bad. Everything about it was wooden. The two main characters were dull as anything, the dialogue was stiff, and the action was mild at best. I read it in about two hours and if it'd taken me longer than that, I wouldn't have finished it. My main draw was seeing the two come closer together, but they just talked and that was it. For the whole book. The political intrigue could've been so good but instead it was laughable.

Ughhhhhh I'm glad it didn't cost too much.
Helen
Jun 22, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ebook, fantasy, romance
This book nearly got a much higher rating, except that it just kept carrying on after where I was happy; passed a second ending point and right into a stupid cliff-hanger.

Interesting world building and good writing, but I probably won't be picking up book two in the series, as I finished this one with a bad taste in my mouth and felt really unsatisfied.
Linda Gavino
Yes, I’m hooked. I’ve read the first four books without even reviewing them. Oria is a gem of a heroine. A damsel with a spine of steel. Lonen is a gruff monster of a man with a heart of gold. No there’s not much actual romance here but there’s enough intrigue and wonder to keep me interested. And since I’m on a trashy romance binge right now... I’d say that’s amazing.
Dantegideon
Feb 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this until I thought it was about to wrap up, and then I noticed that it has been stretched out over another half-dozen books. That seems like a lot as I was getting a bit frustrated with the way things had slowed down at the end. I could probably have taken one more book.
Britney (BookDrunkSloth)
Jul 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book captured my complete attention, and I had to keep going. However it doesn't feel finished. I understand there are sequels, but maybe that makes this kind of a prequel? I don't think that's accurate either. Regardless, I am excited to get the next book and devour it as well:)
Rebecca
Mar 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Definitely a 'set-up' novel, good world building despite the emphasis on romance.
Melanie
Oct 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: z-2016, fantasy, 4-stars
Review originally posted at RabidReads.com.

This is the first of a new fantasy series by Jeffe Kennedy. I’ve been reading her Twelve Kingdoms series, which I love, so I was very excited to have the chance to try this new series. In this book, we have two different groups of people who are at war.
Destrye are a more barbarian group of people. They have no magical ability. The story starts off with them attacking one of the Bara cities.

The Bara are a magical group that has a society based on magic.
The Glassed And The Furious
Sep 12, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Usually, I really love Kennedy's fantasy worlds and the characters she fills them with. They're mesmerizing and pull you into a world of intrigue and adventure. If there are some flaws I find in her books they are usually:
1. Her book- covers
2. The beginning of her story.

Lonen's War those brings these two out again. The cover isn't really intriguing and doesn't draw attention to it. Also, once again, the beginning of the story is a bit too slow. Kennedy always creates amazingly detailed fantasy
Carien
Jul 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Jeffe Kennedy is one of my must read everything I can get my trotters on authors, so you bet I wanted to read Lonen's War.

And this is a beautiful and intense read.

Oria has been sheltered all her life, kept both ignorant and vulnerable, so when barbarians attack her city she is totally unprepared when circumstance puts her in charge of important decisions. Yet she shows she's stronger than even she herself ever thought possible.

Lonen on the other hand is used to a life of hard work and survival.
Ann
Jul 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I discovered this book via a review on reading reality a few weeks back, and bought it ... accidentally. I hit the "buy" button instead of "send me a sample" on Amazon. Since I somewhat liked the Covenant of Thorns series, I decided not to take the hassle to correct that mistake, and I'm glad that I didn't.

Other than the aforementioned series, which had it's moments but also bordered on annoying occasionally - intentionally, I assume - this book was a real delight for me to read with relatable,
DemetraP
Aug 06, 2016 rated it it was ok
This book had potential but most of the focus was on war and death.

It turns out the Bara are stealing water from the Drestye. The princess didn't know that, and thought the evil Drestye attacked without warning.

A bunch of people die, including the King (her father) and her older brother. The hero's brothers dies and his father. So they very unexpectedly end up ruling their countries.

The heroine's younger brother is plotting to take the throne. The heroine decides to marry the hero, even though s
Molly Smith
Aug 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Initial Thoughts: I really loved this new world that Ms. Kenendy has created. It's fresh and fascinating fantasy. The contrast between the Destrye and the Baran is mesmerizing. I love the interplay between Lonen and Oria. Though I must say my favorite character is Chuffta - Oria's dragon-like familiar. The magical against the non-magical. The contrast between Lonen and his family and Oria and hers. The "strange ways" of the Barans and the most relateable ways of the Destrye. I was completely eng ...more
❥ Azzurra
The rating not completely great, even if the writing and the story are really good, is just for the serialization of this series. Something that I discovered just after starting the book. I can understand creating a world and making different characters move inside it, planning for each its own book as the author did with her other series. However, this one sees in each book the same MCs. I don't want to start another series that'll drag indefinitely (this series is now at it's fourth book and o ...more
Lynne Facer
Sep 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a tricky bit of world-building, with two characters from diametrically different worlds. Lonen, the warrior prince, is a man of action and energy, whose king and father has declared war on the city-state of Bara for stealing their water. In the city is the princess Oria, an isolated princess in a tower, who is still learning to control the magic inherent in her. These two meet--as you'd expect from a fantasy romance. But this first act is heavy on the fantasy and light on the romance, as ...more
Alexa Padgett
Aug 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I've had the pleasure of reading the earliest drafts of these novels, and the progression through to final novel is fantastic! Jeffe Kennedy's characters are rich, their motivations clearly articulated. Add to that her imagination, and you have one great story!

Lonen is at times vicious but also tender and thoughtful, a true warrior gentleman. Oria's imposed isolation is heart-breaking and so well-crafted I can't imagine her any other way.

For those who have enjoyed the Twelve Kingdom series, thes

• Prince's Fire (Hearts and Thrones, #3)
  • Empress of Storms (Two Thrones, #1)
  • Amid the Winter Snow
  • White Star (Epic of Palins, #2)
  • Pathfinder's Way (The Broken Lands, #1)
  • Weather Warden Collection (Weather Warden, #1-6)
  • Storm of Desire (Legends of the Storm, #2)
  • The Shadow & The Sun (Militess & Mage, #1)
  • The Curse Giver
  • Clan Daughter (Queen of the Orcs, #2)
  • Warrior Wench (The Asarlaí Wars #1)
  • Aces Wilde (Immortal Vegas, #5)
  • Heart Fire (Celta's Heartmates, #13)
  • Memory of Morning
  • The Art of Deception
  • The Scarecrow King
I also write books under the name Jennifer Paris.

Represented by Sarah Younger at Nancy Yost Literary Agency.

Sorcerous Moons (6 books)
  • Oria’s Gambit (Sorcerous Moons, #2)
  • The Tides of Bára (Sorcerous Moons, #3)
  • The Forests of Dru (Sorcerous Moons, #4)
  • Oria's Enchantment (Sorcerous Moons #5)
  • Lonen's Reign (Sorcerous Moons, #6)