Start by marking “Discipline, the Glad Surrender” as Want to Read:
Discipline, the Glad Surrender

Discipline, the Glad Surrender

In our age of instant gratification and if-it-feels-good-do-it attitudes, self-discipline is hardly a popular notion. Former missionary and beloved author Elisabeth Elliot offers her understanding of discipline and its value for modern people.

Now repackaged for the next generation of Christians, Discipline: The Glad Surrender shows readers how to

-discipline the mind,
Unknown Binding, 160 pages
Published January 1st 1982 by Fleming H. Revell Company

Start your review of Discipline, the Glad Surrender
Becky Pliego
2018: Read it with my 14yo daughter and it was a good one to discuss with her.

2013: Very good.

Here are some of my favorite quotes:

"Discipline is the disciple's "career." It defines the very shape of the disciple's life."

"Discipline is the wholehearted yes to the call of God."

"There are truths that cannot be known except by doing them." (p.38)

"A young woman asked the great preacher Charles Spurgeon if it was possible to reconcile God's sovereignty and man's responsibility, "Young woman," said
ladydusk
Jan 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Own.

Eliot here packs a punch. None of this seems very revolutionary, yet all of it is meaningful. She uses the scripture as a measuring rod and puts our thoughts, deeds, words, actions, even our feelings up against it. She shows our deficiencies with grace, she gives corrective lenses and suggestions to turn to Christ in all things. He is the author and perfecter of our faith - he wrote, lived, finished, completed, ran the race perfectly and so is glorified. His example is what we follow, His
Brenda
Jun 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was my third reading of the book. Every time I read it, I walk away with a different perspective. Clearly, the book hasn't changed since I bought it over a decade ago. But my circumstances and spiritual maturity are constantly changing, and it's so loaded with spiritual help that I always come away richer. To be mentored by Elisabeth Elliot is a true joy. The fact that she passed into eternity during my third read is both sweet and sad. But whether she is here or there, she continues to ...more
Bambi Moore
Sep 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

2019: Still one of my all-time favorites from Elisabeth Elliot. Dearly love this book.

2014: Excellent. Favorite chapter was on the discipline of work. This book is worthy of a regular, yearly reading. Highly recommend. A few favorite quotes:

"There is always enough time to do the will of God. For that we can never say, "I don't have time."" (p.99)

"Frustration is not the will of God. Of that we can be quite certain. There is time to anything and everything that God wants us to do. Obedience fits
Connie
Jan 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great read - something that stands out is just learning from Elisabeth Elliot's example and seeing a woman of the faith carry out her love for the Lord in every aspect of her life. If I had to summarize: discipline can be difficult. One might think that freedom is doing what you want to do without restraint, but true freedom is discovered through discipline, when you are able to be self-controlled and see the fruits of the Spirit. Discipline must be a glad surrender from the ways of our flesh ...more
Lanny
Feb 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So much good stuff here. I read it in short bits as part of my daily devotions. I would recommend this especially to millennials and Americans who struggle with boundaries and authority. I love that she kind of takes the hard line on a lot of things. She doesn't deal with all potentials and excuses of each specific situation. She just says obey Christ and discipline your body. The end. Stop whining. I will definitely be recommending this to friends.
The biggest "problem" I had with this book
Joan
Apr 04, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a reprint of Elliot's 1982 book, reprinted in 2006 as Discipline. Discipline is our answer to God's call, she says. It is how we fulfill God's purpose for us. God provides the means but we must choose to do it.

Reading Elliot's book is like sitting across from someone while enjoying a cup of coffee. Her style of writing is very free flowing and informal. At times she writes about her life as a disciple. At other times she is clearly teaching from the Bible. She shares her thoughts on a
Samantha
Jan 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: devotional-ish
I haven't read a book by Elizabeth Elliot since college. I would say by far this one is my favorite by her. I would recommend to girls between the ages of 17-23(and up) to make this one a priority to read. I really enjoy her style of writing it is still personal and convicting without a lot of fluff. Written beautifully and with tack at the same time not beating around the bush .
She has some opening chapters on what discipline is and a few others followed by chapters on the following:
Discipline
Becky
First sentence: Early in the morning I sit on a window seat in a beautiful stone cottage on a remote hilltop in south Texas. It is springtime.

Elliot selected seven (mostly spiritual) disciplines to focus on in this one which was originally published in 1982. Those seven disciplines are: body, mind, place, time, possessions, work, and feelings. She defines discipline as 'the believer's answer to God's call.'

When Elliot stays on task, she offers some good insights to living the Christian life.
Leeya
"In our age of instant gratification and if-it-feels-good-do-it attitudes, self-discipline is hardly a popular notion. Yet it may be one of the most important lost virtues of our time."

This is THE best book I read in 2019. No, it is the best book I've read in a long time. And I am not exaggerating when I say that it is one of the very few books that I call "life-changing".

I love Elisabeth Elliot’s writing style. It is personal, yet not overly emotional, sophisticated and simple at the same time,
Shannon
My whole goal this year has been to grow in self-control: self-control of my schedule, my emotions, and my habits. I've read many GREAT books on the subject, prayed nightly for heart change, ...and failed daily. I struggled to change for more than a day at a time: the selfishness is strong with this one!

I read this book as part of that quest, despite a friend's warning that its focus isn't so much "self-discipline" per se as much as it is the Christian life in general: Elliot hones in on the
Joseph
Jan 19, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great addition to my books on the topic of Christian Living. Mrs. Elliot gives practical, Scriptural guidance in specific areas of life (e.g.: body, mind, time, possessions, work, etc.) to followers of Christ for pursuing holiness with self-discipline. 2 Corinthians 4:10, 16-17 (CSB): “We always carry the death of Jesus in our body, so that the life of Jesus may also be displayed in our body. Therefore we do not give up. Even though our outer person is being destroyed, our inner person ...more
Ali Wurm
Sep 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow. This book speaks plainly about incredible being of God and what it looks like to live a counter-cultural, life of discipline and submission. Submission has never looked more beautiful. Understanding another piece to the grace and majesty of the Lord makes it wonderful.

“When discipline becomes a glad surrender, ‘every day we experience something of the death of Jesus, so that we may also know the power of the life of Jesus in these bodies of ours.’

10/10 am going to read again.
Christy
Apr 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So, so wise and convicting. Highly recommend.
Sarah F
Jan 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Upon beginning a reading challenge for the new year, I randomly picked up this book because it I respected the Author but more so because it was nearest in my reach at the time. Reading and writing about spiritual disciplines can be hard because of different tensions Scripture presents about works, righteousness and "being who you are". Often books of the like finish most sentences with what I call a gospel caveat. "You SHOULD read your Bible every day, but if you don't, there is grace. And if ...more
Laura Thomas
When I heard of the sad passing of Elisabeth Elliot, I felt the sudden urge to read one of her books. The Glad Surrender was given to me over 25 years ago, and I can't remember ever actually taking the time to read it before—better late than never! What an absolute gem this book is. With highlighter in hand, I made my through the pages, underlining precious quote after quote. "In a deep mystery, hidden in God's purposes for man before the foundation of the world, lies the truth of man's free ...more
Apr 13, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
JOYFUL SURRENDER was originally published in 1982 and in 2006 with the title of Discipline.

My mom used to be a huge fan of Jim and Elisabeth Elliot and followed her books and her story and I grew up hearing about how they risked their lives in South America. I was kind of afraid of being called as a missionary -- what if I died? But Elisabeth Elliot points out in the book that is the best thing there is - to be called to die for the cause of Christ.

The writing is across-the-dining room table
Elisabeth Elliot is one of my favorite authors. I may have said that before, I'm not sure. She doesn't hold back the honest truth but her writing is so full of grace. This book was so timely in that a group I lead was talking about self-control when I was reading this and I was able to tie in some of what Elisabeth said.

At its core, this book is about the concepts of being a slave to Christ or to flesh. Are we going to surrender to our Master? What does that look like practically in our lives?
Sharon
An excellent read. Elisabeth Elliot is stunning.

I started this book thinking that it was going to be a basic book about what it means to live a disciplined Christian life in terms of praying, reading the Word, etc... however I was pleasantly surprised to see that it far surpassed my expectations! The main, over-arching theme of the book is living under the Lordship of Christ in every aspect of life. Whether that be the discipline or work, time, feelings, place.. it shows us that we can take very
Elie
Feb 28, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
simple and profound

I love Elisabeth Elliot. She reminds me of my grandmother in her direct, no nonsense, distant Germanic mannerisms.
And I can't help but admire a woman faithful enough, to live among the very violent tribe who murdered her husband in a remote jungle with a small child. The gospel is daring, and so is Elisabeth Elliot. But you wouldn't see that in this book. What is evident in "The Glad Surrender," is how Elisabeth Elliot achieves a faith so complete.
I highly recommend the
Treyyyy
Sep 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This has to be a new favorite!

I love Elisabeth Elliot's writing. It's so easy to read, yet powerful. Her writing draws you in and keeps you interested. Often times, nonfiction can go on and on about a topic and make you lose interest by the midpoint of the book. Elliot didn't do that. She used her own stories and stories of others to drive points home and it made it a much more personal book.

The points talked about were so helpful and convicting. But I think the best part of this book, is it
Aimee
Aug 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book beyond what I can describe here. It was packed with so much truth and wisdom I will need to read it many more times in my lifetime to truly benefit from it. It will be one if my go to books to find encouragement and conviction when I need it. Written later in her life, Elliot doesn't pull any punches and I am so grateful. Highly recommended if you want your life changed.
Christina
Aug 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thank you again to my good friend who gave me this book! :-) It is very well-written and thought-provoking. When you read this book you often feel as if Elizabeth Eliott is speaking to you. It is also delightful to read about the different places she was while she was writing. This is a very inspiring and worthwhile book, and one that I am likely to read again.
Olivia
Dec 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked a lot of the points Mrs. Elliot made in this book...very big encouragement to me as a Christian. But then, I like most of Mrs. Elliot's books...

Only drawback, it took me forever to read because she doesn't use the KJV, and I had to look up each verse.
Bekah
Nov 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was amazing! Elisabeth Elliot has so much wisdom to share. Mrs. Elliot shares from her personal experiences what it means to daily surrender your life to the Lord--to discipline oneself to lift up everything as a living sacrifice to the Lord!

I recommend this book to ages 15 and up.
Mystie Winckler
Own. Although the Bible versions and the citation methods she used annoyed me, her message was valuable. Despite the shock her message might provoke to postmodernist ears, she maintains both severity and grace.
Beatrice
The book is fairly good but slightly superficial. Great to use for reflections.
Christina
Apr 14, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christianity
I have mixed feelings about this book. I just feel like I want to change the title - something more like, "Living out the Christian Life" or "Perspectives of a Christian Life" or even "Submission in the Christian Life". It isn't that "Discipline: The Glad Surrender" is wrong, it just felt slightly misleading. Perhaps it is simply a matter of generational disconnect; perhaps I use "discipline" differently now than it was used in the 80s, and perhaps I expect a different format for my theology ...more
Michele Morin
May 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Elisabeth Elliot was uniquely qualified to write on the topic of self-discipline, for she brought to it her unique brand of no-nonsense wisdom, a product of having already “set her face like a flint” in this following life. A right understanding of discipline requires a right understanding of the God we follow, for training in self-discipline requires a “wholehearted yes to the call of God.” (16)

In her recently re-released Joyful Surrender, Elliot creates a linguistic mosaic featuring the words
Ruth Rojas
Apr 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite writings from Elizabeth! This was a powerful book and so convicting in many areas! May we learn to be disciplined and surrender our lives for the sake of Christ! His ways are best!
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Wooing Cadie McCaffrey
  • You Who? Why You Matter and How to Deal With It
  • Competing Spectacles: Treasuring Christ in the Media Age
  • Lies Women Believe: And the Truth that Sets Them Free
  • Adopted for Life: The Priority of Adoption for Christian Families and Churches
  • Living Lies (Harbored Secrets #1)
  • Women of the Word: How to Study the Bible with Both Our Hearts and Our Minds
  • Devotedly: The Personal Letters and Love Story of Jim and Elisabeth Elliot
  • The Number of Love (The Codebreakers, #1)
  • Treasuring Christ When Your Hands Are Full: Gospel Meditations for Busy Moms
  • Back Roads to Belonging: Unexpected Paths to Finding Your Place and Your People
  • Powerful Prayers for Your Son: Praying for Every Part of His Life
From the Author's Web Site: My parents were missionaries in Belgium where I was born. When I was a few months old, we came to the U.S. and lived in Germantown, not far from Philadelphia, where my father became an editor of the Sunday School Times. Some of my contemporaries may remember the publication which was used by hundreds of churches for their weekly unified Sunday School teaching materials. ...more
“Choices will continually be necessary and -- let us not forget -- possible. Obedience to God is always possible. It is a deadly error to fall into the notion that when feelings are extremely strong we can do nothing but act on them.” 112 likes
“Work is a blessing. God has so arranged the world that work is necessary, and He gives us hands and strength to do it. The enjoyment of leisure would be nothing if we had only leisure. It is the joy of work well done that enables us to enjoy rest, just as it is the experiences of hunger and thirst that make food and drink such pleasures.” 110 likes