Start by marking “Lintang and the Pirate Queen (Lintang #1)” as Want to Read:
Lintang and the Pirate Queen (Lintang #1)

Lintang and the Pirate Queen

(Lintang #1)

Lintang dreams of escaping her island home and having adventures on the high seas. She gets her chance when she and her best friend, Bayani, face a deadly mythie and survive, attracting the attention of the infamous Captain Shafira. Lintang’s bravery earns her an invitation onto the ship of the pirate queen, who is on her way to hunt down a nest of vicious sirens.

But they
Published July 31st 2017 by Penguin Random House Australia

To ask other readers questions about Lintang and the Pirate Queen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lintang and the Pirate Queen

Tamara Moss
Aug 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
You know what? I've read this book a million times during its drafting process. I should totally be allowed to put it down as one of my books for the Goodreads challenge.
Emma
Jan 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017, favorites
Having had the privilege of reading Tamara's previous works over the years, I went into Lintang with supremely high expectations. I was not disappointed. I think it is rare for a novel geared toward middle grade to appeal just as equally with an adult or teen (only a handful of books come to mind as examples - notably, the Harry Potter series), and Lintang was a brief and addicting read, leaving me anxiously awaiting the sequel, Lintang and the Forbidden Island.

The high quality of the writing,
Feb 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017, own
It's hard to describe how I felt reading this book. It's everything at once - an escape to fantasy, a close bond with characters, an adventure that is fictional as well as personal. This book is so easy to read and so imaginative and fun.

CHARACTERS
Lintang is wonderfully flawed, and brave and full of heart. The quiet and kind Bayani is a perfect counterbalance to her in their friendship. The crew are not only diverse in representation, but in a way that makes each character unique and highlights
Madison
May 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Lintang and the Pirate Queen is a book of epic quests, mystical creatures, and a brave young girl who dreams of exploring. It is the perfect book for middle-grade readers who enjoy a touch of magic mixed with plenty of adventure.

Lintang has always wanted to explore beyond the borders of her island home. At home, she can never seem to do the right thing and is constantly getting in trouble for her wild storytelling and epic sword fights. But when the infamous Captain Shafira saves Lintang’s life
Rebecca
Oct 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
From my www.bookcrossing.com journal entry:

This was a cracking good read. Suggested age range would be 10+.

With a diverse array of characters this novel will appeal to a wide audience. A strong female lead character, with mystery, adventure and self-discovery this was a wild-ride of a book.

The narrative chapters are interspersed with illustrated entries from The Mythie Guidebook. Illustrations by James Brouwer - the sirens and mermaids being my favourite.

These 'mythies' are not of the Disney-var
Julie Garner
Jul 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, kids
I received an Advance Reading Copy of this book.
This is another great adventure story for kids at 10+ It has an exciting female lead with a strong female mentor that will appeal to girls looking for books that put them in front and have them going on these great adventures.
Lintang does not want to live in her village anymore. She wants to explore and live her life. When the great Captain Sharifa appears in her village, Lintang wants more than anything to meet her and be picked to go on the ship
Pauline
Jul 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Lintang is a lively, curious and headstrong character who has a knack for always causing trouble, even though she has good intentions. She lives on the safe island of Desa which is protected by a sea monster although little creatures called mythies give rise to minor disturbances. The addition of Mythie guidebook entries describing the nature of the creatures is very helpful in understanding their particular mischief. Lintang feels trapped by the convention of her island and yearns for pirate ad ...more
Laura AP
Nov 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really love MGs, and I especially love when I find a good one like this. Lintang is an adventurous, stubborn girl, and she's full of spirit and wants to be noticed by the Captain. The book itself tells a fun story -- I loved hearing about the mythies and even the illustrations are really beautiful. I'll be forever thankful to Lindsey for sending this my way, and I can't wait for the next books in the series!
Laura Pohl
Nov 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Lintang is a fun, adventurous MG full of heart and magic. Its heroine, Lintang, is stubborn and brave, and a perfect heroine for this kind of adventure. The world Tamara Moss has created is truly wonderful, and I can't wait to get lost in more stories she tells.
Emily
Feb 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
A young adult novel with a kick ass female protagonist and lots of twists and turns - what’s not to like?
Lindsey Hodder
Oct 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
There are so many reasons I love this book, from the diversity of the characters to the richness of the worldbuilding.
Kate Simpson
Jan 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
A fantastic middle grade fantasy about friendship and adventure. Heartily recommended for ages 10 and up.
Sherry Mackay
Apr 02, 2018 rated it liked it
I found this book a bit odd. I couldn’t really get into the characters. Not sure if I like lintang. Just not my thing.
Nik
Jun 09, 2018 rated it did not like it
Originally I gave this two stars as I couldn’t initially finish it, but now that I’ve forced myself to do so, I’m lowering it to 1 star.

The writing style was just not for me, I didn’t enjoy anything about the characters and their development nor the over arching plot. I think this book was just too juvenile for me as a reader, I like youth / young adult but this is too far into the young section for me to connect.

Many will see the authors plan and love it but for me, it was just awful to read.
Maddie
Cheryl Baird
rated it it was ok
Aug 23, 2017

Lintang (3 books)
  • Lintang and the Forbidden Island (Lintang #2)
  • Lintang and the Brightest Star (Lintang #3)
“My most precious thing” 1 likes