Start by marking “The Bugalugs Bum Thief” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Bugalugs Bum Thief

Tim Winton

The Bugalugs Bum Thief (Aussie Bites)

3.87  ·  Rating details ·  196 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
Published 1991 by Puffin

To ask other readers questions about The Bugalugs Bum Thief, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bugalugs Bum Thief

Janelle
This is probably a great kids book, I just don't like audiobooks with sound effects. But this shouldn't put other listeners off. It's just me.
Cruth
Author: Tim Winton
Illustrator: Stephen Michael King
First Published: 1991

Tim Winton:
Tim Winton is one of those Australian-Authors-Everyone-Should-Know. He's a name in Australian literature. And he writes Big Concept books. "Cloudstreet", published in 1991, is a chronicle of Australian life over twenty years. It was adapted to a 5.5 hour play. His collection of short stories, "The Turning: Stories", has become a 3 hour film with 17 directors and some of Australia's biggest actors. They're Think Bi
Meg
Jul 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolute children's classic that was enjoyed by everyone in my family - especially my Dad!
It is filled with unmistakeable Aussie humour and I can still picture the hilarious illustration of all the stolen bottoms piled up in that boat shed.

It is so bizarre yet so right and will have your kids in stitches!
Julie
A pretty good, (and fun and silly) kids mystery story. Who stole the bums of all the townsfolk of a sleepy Australian surfing town on the coast far away from the city?

It has a fair amount of Aussie colloquialism and slang (get out the Macquaries, people, not the Oxfords) and it was hilarious to watch the faces of my mainly non-Anglo young audience struggle with some of the phrases. Brilliant. It was also fun and worthwhile working out what they all meant.

I would recommend The Bugalugs Bum Thief
Nola
Sep 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: kids of all ages
This was read to my class when I was in year 2 or 3 (I think!?!) during a library session and I liked it then and had not forgotten the title so when I found it in an op-shop I snapped it up to pass along to nephew who has started reading books by himself. Not a lot of text on the pages and there are plenty of illustrations and as the title suggests, it is about a bum thief which should raise the interest of young readers and get them to have a go at reading, either by themselves or with some he ...more
Corinne Campbell
Feb 03, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: 7 year old boys
This is a great little book for children who are just moving into chapter books. It deals with the ridiculous, much like The Shrinking of Treehorn and Flat Stanley. I've found it a great success with reluctant readers, especially little boys to whom the idea of having one's bottom stolen seems particularly amusing. Once its been read aloud to them, they will happily pore over the book for hours, examining the pictures and attempting to read the text for themselves.
Zahra
Sep 29, 2016 rated it did not like it
I didn't actually like this book because I like books that seem realistic like Moonlight Dreamers. Out of all the books I've read this is one of my least favourite books. This is just my opinion though.
Emily Wrayburn
Dec 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
I read this many times as a kid and re-read it today before passing it on to my niece. It amused me just as much now. It's completely ridiculous. Also, it's by Tim Winton. Who knew I wasn't as illiterate in his books as I thought.
Levi Miller
Apr 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
He is a hilarious author, writing about a bum thief who takes all the bottoms in Bugalugs. The boy is very clever because he found out who was the bum thief! I think little boys and girls will find this book very funny. There are funny pictures in it, too.
Amy
Jun 12, 2009 rated it really liked it
I have a vivid memory of reading this book on my grandparents couch one day after school, and laughing and laughing. such a good book for kids!
Vanessa Mozayani
As a reward for good behaviour, I read my class this book. They were quite sensible and highly engaged at this child friendly topic for a story... Bums, bottoms, backsides galore!
Alis
Oct 25, 2014 added it
Shelves: childhood
A story about a town that wakes up one day to find someone had stolen everyone's bum, written by one of the greatest names in Australian literature.
Helen
Dec 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Read to my (now grown up) girls when they were children. They, and I, loved it. Have kept it for my grandchildren when they come.
Ita
Apr 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: study
What a gorgeous, fun little book this is. I read it for a children's literature subject that I'm studying and I really enjoyed this book.
Lyndall
Nov 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
Such a hoot to read. I've read it aloud to my classes over the years and they always want more. Giggles assured.
Jessica
Jun 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Loved this as a child!
Audrey Saunders
Aug 24, 2015 rated it did not like it
definitely for the younger age group.
Anita
Feb 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
THIS IS THE BEST BOOK EVER.

THIS BLEW MY MIND IN THE SECOND GRADE.
Cathy
Aug 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: australian
My favourite when I read it to my children
Karen
Apr 21, 2008 marked it as to-read
Recommended to Karen by: Dennis
Shelves: fiction, aussie
Only an Australian could come up with a book like this! Can't wait to read it.
Selena
Mar 28, 2017
Simon Foster
May 27, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Come Back Gizmo (Gizmo, #3)
  • The Wombles
  • The Man Whose Mother Was a Pirate
  • The Worry Tree
  • The Great Nursery Rhyme Disaster
  • The Worst Witch to the Rescue (Worst Witch, #6)
  • Winnie-the-Pooh and Some Bees
  • I Believe in Unicorns
  • The Bad Book
  • My Brilliant Career: My Career Goes Bung
  • A Little Bush Maid (Billabong, #1)
  • Hunwick's Egg
  • Belinda
  • The Hidden Forest
  • The Enchanted Horse
  • The Wrong Book
  • Swords And Crowns And Rings
19929
Tim Winton was born in Perth, Western Australia, but moved at a young age to the small country town of Albany.

While a student at Curtin University of Technology, Winton wrote his first novel, An Open Swimmer. It went on to win The Australian/Vogel Literary Award in 1981, and launched his writing career. In fact, he wrote "the best part of three books while at university". His second book, Shallows
More about Tim Winton...

Aussie Bites (1 - 10 of 94 books)
  • Elephant Mountain (Aussie Bites)
  • Helping Out (Aussie Bites)
  • Mummy's Boy (Aussie Bites)
  • Imp (Aussie Bites)
  • Jessie and Mr Smith (Aussie Bites)
  • The Chewing Gum Kid (Aussie Bites)
  • Batter Up, Plus Three More (Aussie Bites)
  • The Hand-Knitted Hero, Plus Three More