Start by marking “When the Watcher Shakes” as Want to Read:
When the Watcher Shakes

When the Watcher Shakes

The walls were meant to keep evil out—but they only hid the evil within.

John has given up his ordinary life to find wisdom traveling the country and enjoy the freedom of living as a nomad. But when he stumbles across a mysterious town tucked away in the Appalachian Mountains, walled off from modern society, he discovers a group of people who could use some freedom of
Published July 15th 2016 by Timothy G. Huguenin

To ask other readers questions about When the Watcher Shakes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When the Watcher Shakes

Start your review of When the Watcher Shakes
Susan Snodgrass
Aug 12, 2016 rated it liked it
I loved the premise of this book. I really did. It was like something from The Twilight Zone; incredibly interesting, good characters, well written. However, what caused me to give this book only 3 stars was the language. Two uses of 'gd', several other minor swear words. I will not tolerate taking God's name in vain. This writer could have left that out and the book would not have suffered for it. If this is Christian horror, I want none of it. The profanity did not make the story better, it ...more
Peter  Younghusband
I was asked by the author a few months ago, to review this debut novel before it was released but was unable to due to my review schedule. I did add it to my personal To Be Read list for later reading. It was only when the author made it free that I decided to download it instead of buying when I planned to read it. Out of pure curiosity, I started to read the first page or two and I was hooked. I then decided to rearrange my entire weekend to reading it. I simply could not put this down. I ...more
Judi
Aug 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
I loved the imagery in this book. The word pictures are great. For instance, "...the lantern's light was only good for a few feet before the darkness bullied it into submissive shadow." That's a great sentence on its own, but the imagery of bullying, submission and shadows perfectly parallels the community and theme of the book. The whole book feels like every word was specifically chosen. Brilliantly crafted.
John Hanscom
Aug 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
A strong fictional indictment of "blind faith" religion without intelligent discernment. God gave us brains to be used.
Stephen Case
Dec 19, 2016 rated it liked it
Timothy Huguenin’s book When the Watcher Shakes is a solid debut novel by a solid new writer. The story explores a cultic, isolated town hidden in an Appalachian valley and is told with an easy confidence. Huguenin has a good handle on the tools of the craft: the writing is clear and precise, and the straightforward tone and pacing kept me reading even when the characters themselves felt at times a bit unrealistic. I was still turning pages up to the very conclusion of the novel, and apart from ...more
Phil Robinson
Nov 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Great story. It makes you consider twice a trip through the forests of the Appalachian Mountains. Certainly beware of the lonely gas station along the way.

I'm not a horror reader and hence the 3 stars. The stars represent my personal reaction to the book and not its technical expertise. It is well written with good characters and descriptive narrative. The exposure (albeit fictional) of a cult enclave rife with hypocrisy and terror is an interesting premise and Timothy does it justice.

I'm not
Timothy Shrout
Oct 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent

I loved this fast paced book. I couldn't put it down! It took me less than 24 hours to devour its scintillating and rollicking pace. As a believer in Truth, not as others define it, but as it is revealed to me in many ways, the strain of the story against dogmatic rigidity was inspiring as well.
Ejs
Aug 05, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a familiar story, with a religious sect isolating itself from the world (in the extreme). A leader, who through time, becomes more power hungry and corrupts it all. It is simply written, but a book that you want to continue reading.
Sherry Bledsoe
Oct 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty cool story

About the way I imagine a real cult works. Starts out maybe at the beginning with good intentions but like with any thing that is ruled with flawed and changing laws.....It rots from within and eventually corruption changes it all.
Janina s. Asselin
Aug 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quite different and good

This is a little gem. Different and good. Take some time and read this offering and you will find yourself immersed in a different world.
Valicity Garris
I’ve used the word ‘unique’ to describe many of the stories I’ve reviewed. Stories I’ve liked, stories I’ve disliked, even stories that were so-so. This one is no different—which technically doesn’t make it unique.

In all honesty, this book IS unique. Every individual part of it is unique but when its put together as a complete story, it feels like a copy of a book I’ve read before. That’s not to say the plot wasn’t good or that the characters weren’t well developed. When the Watcher Shakes is
Dawn
Jul 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This is one of the best fictional stories I have read in a long while. It is hard to stop reading once you start. If you or anyone else you know has ever experienced spiritual control by a group, this book will resonate with you!

I know a book is good when I immediately want to read it again after finishing it. The author has written a book like that! I am really glad I stumbled across it on Kindle.
Mark Carver
Jul 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
What starts out a warm, sentimental mountain tale turns cold and creepy. Echoes of The Village, The Wicker Man, and The Lottery resonate throughout the book, and if you're a fan of quaint, country charm simmering over a sinister flame, When the Watcher Shakes will keep you entertained well into the night.
Lisa
Jul 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great writing style. I look forward to more books by this author.

I was left with several questions, mostly logistical about the plot setting. But it wasn't enough to detract from the story.

Well-written, fast-moving, and compelling.
Rosann
Jan 09, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I just couldn't get into this book .. and I did try.
Jacque Moran Strike
A riveting read! While I usually can forecast the ending of a novel, Timothy's book kept me guessing until the end!
Can't believe this is his first book!
Holly
Jan 23, 2019
Dawn
Jul 23, 2016
Timothy G. Huguenin
Jul 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-books
christopher russin
Sep 16, 2017

• Deranged Souls: Supernatural Horror with Scary Ghosts & Haunted Houses (Haunted Village Series Book 9)
  • Silent Death: Supernatural Horror with Scary Ghosts & Haunted Houses (Haunted Village Series Book 8)
  • The Sleep Experiment (World's Scariest Legends #2)
  • Scavenger Hunt
  • The Bloodline
  • The Con Season: A Novel of Survival Horror
  • Escape From Hotel Necro
  • Shepherd's Warning
  • The Crowlands
  • The Haunting of Lannister Hall
  • Pressure
  • Don't Lie to Me (Eva Rae Thomas Mystery #1)
  • Don't Look Back
  • Into the Dark
  • 13 Dark Tales: Collection One
  • Lock Me In
  • 13 Steps to the Cellar
  • 13 Dark Tales: Collection Two
Timothy G. Huguenin is the author of the horror novels WHEN THE WATCHER SHAKES and LITTLE ONE, as well as various short stories. He lives in the dark Allegheny Mountains of West Virginia. You can find out more about him and his writing by visiting tghuguenin.com.