Start by marking “Tulips for Augusta” as Want to Read:
Tulips for Augusta

Tulips for Augusta

4.1  ·  Rating details ·  191 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
...hearts and flowers

What a maddening, impossible man Constantijn van Lindemann was! Wherever Augusta went, there he was: inviting her out, paying her compliments, sending her enormous bouquets of tulips, even kissing her on occasion. Augusta had to admit that she enjoyed it, especially the kisses. But until she could discover how important a part the glamorous Susan playe
Paperback, Harlequin Romance #1529
Published October 1971 by Harlequin Books (first published 1971)

To ask other readers questions about Tulips for Augusta, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tulips for Augusta

StMargarets
Our redheaded heroine is assigned to the private ward at the hospital and she's none too happy about it. The hero, who is visiting his godmother, doesn't help by making remarks about her hair, which he apologizes for with tulips. The heroine is then off the Holland to practice her Dutch and visit her ancient aunties. By sheer Betty coincidence the H is their doctor.

These kind of coincidences go on for most of the story. They actually go out on a date and the h is very happy until the OW rears he
Kay
May 08, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks
4 1/2 Stars ~ Augusta is a Sister on the men's surgical ward of a busy London hospital and when another Sister is off on medical leave, she's transferred over to Private Patients. It's here that she runs into Constantijn who is visiting his elderly godmother. Visiting with him is a very pretty young woman who he seems to be very fond of, so Augusta assumes she's his love interest. When Augusta takes her three week vacation in Holland to visit her great-aunts, one of them has a serious episode of ...more
Pamela Shropshire
Oct 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: tgb
Staff Nurse Augusta Brown isn't happy about being sent to the Private Patients wing, but it is there she meets Lady Belway and, more importantly, her godson, Dr. Constantijn van Lindemann.

He brings her a bunch of tulips, but Augusta wonders about the gorgeous girl with them, Susan Belsize.

Augusta goes to Alkmaar to visit her great-aunts. Her Tante Marijna has a bout of angina and as Fate Would Have It, Dr. van Lindemann is her physician. After two more bunches of tulips, Augusta knows she loves
Barb in Maryland
The Bettys who run The Uncrushable Jersey Dress (blog devoted to Betty Neels' books) gave Tulips for Augusta their top rating. Alas, I am afraid that I cannot agree.
Our Rich Dutch Doctor, Constantijn van Lindemann, is absolutely fabulous for the first three quarters of the book. Then he becomes afflicted with the 'not going to talk about Susan' disease, which is the source of the required Big Misunderstanding.
Our insecure heroine, Augusta Brown, has a very hard time believing that our RDD is sin
Cecilia
Aug 16, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
I have mixed feelings about this one. The heroine is a little on the plain side, and suffers the unfortunate childhood nickname of "roly." However, she's generally pretty confident and competent at her nursing, and the hero isn't shown repeatedly perplexed by his interest in the mousy plain girl (probably partly because though she's not a beauty, she's not mousy). This is good, because those Betty Neels books get me down.

Instead, he pursues her from nearly the beginning, with big bouquets of fl
Leona
May 03, 2014 rated it liked it
Unfortunately not one of my favorites by this author. I thought this went on a bit too long and I became frustrated with the doctor's refusal to confess what his true relationship was to the OW. It made for silly misunderstandings. I also wasn't very convinced of his feelings.

Constantijn fell fall short of the standards of other heroes from Betty. I thought Roly deserved so much more.

This is a 3 star, for middle of the road. Skip this one if you can.

Fiona Marsden
Feb 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Constantijn is an absolutely lovely hero but he suffers from the typical Neels hero reticence about the most important piece of information in the eyes of the heroine. The status of "The Other Woman" in his life. In this case, the lovely Susan who he rushes off to Paris and Northumberland at the drop of her hat leaving Augusta gasping.

Augusta is quite an attractive heroine, still suffering a little from her childhood nickname of Roly, although she is no longer deserving of the name. It is certai
Nell
Aug 19, 2013 rated it liked it
Lovely, restful old-fashioned romance.
Mellanie C
Aug 28, 2016 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Diana
I'm not sure why but her books are some of my favorites to re-read. My aunt got me hooked on them when I was about 13, and I still love them.
Mudpie
Mar 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
There's lots of kissing in this story! Constantijn the RDD told Augusta/Gussie/Roly/ My darling Miss Brown that he disliked "carroty top" and thus would not hit on her, which made Augusta a huffy disliking him! But she could not get him out of her mind...

He really showed up everywhere, like any good hero in a romance. Turned out he was the GP near her grandaunts' house in Alkmaar, and Dr Soames near her home in Dorset was his godfather! He even operated in the hospital because he was trained in
Anna
Jul 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: junk-food
This follows a similar narrative arc to Ring In A Teacup, whereby the doctor declares his interest much earlier than usual. Compared to the usual pacing, however, these plots don't work as well for me. The central conflict essentially involves the question Does he love her (in which case, of course, he'll marry her, unless it's a marriage-of-companionship-er-convenience plot).

While satisfying on the one hand to get an earlier declaration, I've yet to see that pacing work well structurally. You
Teri-K
I quite enjoyed this story of practical and likable Augusta, who doesn't need a man in her life to be happy. The RDD was a nice man and the story unfolded in typical Neels fashion. The main new element in this book were Augusta's two great-aunts, who are Dutch, so Augusta visited them regularly and already knew some of the language.

There's nothing new here to the loyal Neels reader, but then you don't read Neels for excitement or to be amazed by clever plotting. You read her to spend a couple o
R
Mar 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Though I love Betty Neels work,and hope to read as many as I can, there are times I am not sure if she just had to stretch the story for editing sake. I mean this misunderstanding could have (and should have if the hero loved Augusta) been taken care of simply in a private conversation! If you can’t trust the “other half” of yourself with private matters, who can ya trust?
This issue does come up in many a Neels book, just this time...I wanted to smack the guy upside the head. :cringe:
Tigger
Mar 23, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.50 stars!
Allison
Oct 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
I liked how you got to know the lead male better, but I hate how betty neels leading men never confide in the women they supposedly live.
Jules
Mar 07, 2018
Pcch2345
Mar 25, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Flirting with Disaster (The DeMarco Family, #3)
  • One Wild Wedding Night (Santori Stories, #6)
  • Sexiest Man Alive (Make Me a Match, #2)
  • Baby Blues: Unplugged: Baby Blues Scrapbook #15
  • Depraved and Insulting English
  • Return Engagement
  • Deadly Housewives: Stories
  • A Savage Adoration
  • First Love, Last Love
  • The Loner (Men Out of Uniform #4)
  • The Street Where She Lives (South Village Singles, #4)
  • Face-Off
  • The Millionaire Meets His Match (Duke Brothers #1)
  • Her Little Majesty: The Life of Queen Victoria
  • Make Her Pay (Bullet Catcher, #8)
Betty Neels was born on September 15, 1910 in Devon to a family with firm roots in the civil service. She said she had a blissfully happy childhood and teenage years.(This stood her in good stead later for the tribulations to come with the Second World War). She was sent away to boarding school, and then went on to train as a nurse, gaining her SRN and SCM, that is, State Registered Nurse and Stat ...more
More about Betty Neels