Start by marking “Impala” as Want to Read:
Impala

Impala

Someone is stalking Russell Fitzpatrick across town at night. Someone is eavesdropping on his WiFi, watching him at the funeral, waiting in the alley. By the time he finds out why, all the FBI can tell him is that he’s in more trouble than he understands. It seems an old friend has bequeathed him one last gift before departing this earth: digital clues to the location of a ...more
Kindle Edition
Published September 21st 2016 by Stolen Time Press

To ask other readers questions about Impala, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Impala

Bella
Sep 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Andrew Diamond successfully re-skins the timeless crime novel template about a small-time crook gone legit, only to find he can’t escape his past. As you might expect, the temptations of money, love and the forbidden are nearly impossible to resist, and that makes for great tension. Diamond does an admirable job of explaining technologies like the TOR browser for a mainstream audience, but he’s really at his best when he’s philosophical and introspective. Of what he perceives to be an increasing ...more
Donna Murray
Jun 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is intriguing, good and altogether satisfying. I especially admired how this Indie author (kudos to Andrew Diamond for taking on the work) handled so many tricky scenes deftly. Many times the bicycle could have leaned too far one way or the other but never did. Thanks for the fun. Look forward to more.
Lindsay
Sep 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Andrew Diamond apparently has a very strong left and right brain and uses them equally well in this novel. On one hand, he has a solid knowledge of deeply technical issues and, on the other, is able to convey a personal and philosophical approach to life that I could both relate to and which caused me to pause and ponder his musings. Even though I have a limited interest in tech, I felt richly educated by his descriptions and humored by the main character's actions and interactions. The main cha ...more
Akeating2003
Sep 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received a copy of this book in a Giveaway. I enjoyed this book, it had a good plot and twists and an offbeat main character (which almost always works for me) and some dark humor. It started a little slow but I think that was because of the technical jargon and actual code included in the first few chapters. I don't think that was needed and that may turn off some potential readers. I worked in the IT field for 25 years and even I didn't want to read that much detail about programming :D Over ...more
Dorian Box
Oct 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The action stars early in Impala, a frenetic search for a vault of $18 million in bitcoin left behind by a dead hacker, and doesn’t let up until the last page. Seems like every novel has a hacker in it these days, but most of them lack credibility. They push a few buttons on their computer and magically hack into anything they want. It doesn’t work that way. Diamond’s background as a software developer allowed him to craft a believably complex caper of cyber-mystery and mayhem.
Minerva Spencer
Jul 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It's always a good sign when I can't stop reading. Well, a good sign for the book, but a bad one for my own schedule. That is what happened with Impala. I started reading it yesterday afternoon, stayed up late, and then started right back up this morning--in spite of the many things I was supposed to do...

I have to admit the book was so good it actually surprised me. (And I'm sure I'll take a lot of flack for the next few sentences...) I don't usually read indy authors just because it is so hard
Tony Parsons
Apr 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Eugene Fitzpatrick (narrator, programmer) works with Bill Cred (Google, security/research), Sámara, Richmond, VA., Ethan (36, founder), Brad (28, salesman), Trish (24, office asst.), Tom Jr. developer, Marty Jr. developer, Karim (26, programmer), & Russell “Genie” Eugene Fitzpatrick (Russ, owner).

Charles “The Mad Hatter” Allen Taylor’s (hacker, code developer) rental car went over a cliff in Colombia.
The remaining body was charred to the bones. There was also a hole in the side of his skull
Jeremy Cox
Sep 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fast paced, intelligently written, and fun. I didn't love every part of the book, but it was good enough that I couldn't put it down.

The tech part is accurate, to the extent that I never noticed any significant errors. And I get distracted by that in a lot of books and movies that try but don't really understand what they are talking about.

Characters are well written, interesting, and at least a little unpredictable.

Biggest dislike; multiple times where the main character is drunk / high, and si
Pat Allen
May 25, 2018 rated it liked it
A Cyber Scheme

Three friends study it together. One is brilliant. He hacks into other people's sites, including the FBI's. He thinks up a plan to defraud them. He fakes his death but ropes one of the other guys in by dropping clues until he is hooked. Suddenly he is of interest to the FBI, the Russians and Columbians. They know there is big money hidden and want it. He is almost killed several times and is beaten up repeatedly.
He meets the first guy's girlfriend and falls heavily for her. It seem
Tanya
Jan 15, 2018 rated it did not like it
The tech part of the book about coding is quite interesting but passive and telling. This is a common issue when it comes to tech heavy books. But there are many classes offered to learn how to avoid this. It becomes hard to connect to the book and the characters the way its written. But then he morphs into a killer who physically batters people with no previous setup that this is something he is capable of doing. I feel like the author set him up to be an unreliable character but you should wea ...more
Yvonne Glasgow
Jan 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Diamond proves he has a knack for writing intrigue in this part mystery, part action novel. The story starts off at an easy pace as you get to know the main character. Russ is an interesting guy with a bit of a sketchy past, but he's moved on from that. However, it's not long before he's sucked into the hijinks of his previous life of crime; getting beat up by Russians and Colombians and finding himself in love with a beautiful woman with a big secret.

This book is a roller coaster ride with an e
Lynn Hallbrooks
This is one of those books that was difficult for me to put down for very long.

Russ aka "Genie" has left his previous life behind, that is until a series of events has him doing things he never thought he would. But when you find you can't trust anyone, including the police, then what choice did he have.

I enjoyed the story overall. Mr. Diamond had me turning the pages trying to figure out how poor Russ was going to get out of the "fix" he was in.

Warning: If you are sensitive to violence, as we
Jill
Oct 29, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A dead friend leads Russell on a dangerous race that has him trapped between rival Russian and Columbian gangs. The plot started strong with cyber intrigue, puzzles, and computer code. The intrigue disappears and the story goes downhill when Russell finds himself in unfamiliar and he becomes involved with Cali. The story becomes a classic violent tale of good versus bad. Overall, it is a decent adventure.

I received this book through a Goodreads giveaway. Although encouraged, I was under no oblig
Nicole
Dec 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good thriller!

I enjoyed this book a lot! The beginning was a bit awkward for me but I got through it okay. There was a jump in timeline quite a bit but you get used to it and it's only in the first few chapters. I really enjoyed the main character and all of his flaws and issues with doing what is right. The technical part with software and hacking was actually explained surprisingly well! Some stuff went over my head but that's okay. The thriller part is what kept me and I just had to find out
C.A. Knutsen
Jun 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Played by a dead man

Obsessed by the puzzle the main character was undaunted by challenges and the beatings he took from two different international teams of thugs. There are several times in this book where the author provided some of the best descriptions I've read. They lifted me out of the book and into the scene or the feeling that he was describing. The characters are well-developed. There were numerous twists and which made for an interesting story.
A.J. Forrisi
Feb 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This books gives you hope, breaks your heart, gives you some hope to mend that broke heart, breaks it again, shatters it, leaves you in a daze, and then... well, if I said how that ended I'd spoil the book, no?

Russell Fitzpatrick is trying to get his life together after running into the feds while his two other friends, known as Charlie and "Cred" get into some trouble by hacking the FBI database and stealing some files. But it's been four years since Russ as spoken to Charlie and he and "Cred"
Kendra Morgan
Oct 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who likes suspense
Recommended to Kendra by: Goodreads
Shelves: received, won
Absolutely fantastic! Sometimes, your past just won't let you go, no matter how good you are now. Russell Fitzpatrick is learning the it the hard way. Now, it seems everyone is after him.

Andrew Diamond does a masterful job of creating believable characters in a story of dark web commerce, hacking, and dirty cops.
Hans
Aug 26, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the new twist on the tried and true spy novel / good guy wins in the end and gets the girl. I prefer novels that are not written in the first person. I am still waiting for a novel that has the literary quality that expletives are used for spice and not to get the word count up. But overall an enjoyable read.
Sabina D'agliano
Jul 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fast paced thriller...

This is a very fast paced, edge of your seat, complex thriller. I thoroughly enjoyed the story and the characters. Was a little too technical for the average person but we'll explained. I'd definitely recommend this book and this author.
Carolyn Rose
Oct 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good suspense and sense of jeopardy and who-can-you-trust anxiety. Russ is a smart guy - and that made me wonder why, with his life hanging in the balance and the need to stay sharp, he drank so much.
Rachel Sakitis
Oct 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: giveaways
Impala by Andrew Diamond is an excellent book. The plot just keeps on thickening right up until the last chapter.

I would definitely recommend this book to all my reader friends. Looking forward to reading more books by Andrew Diamond.

I received this book free from goodreads.
Charles
Feb 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good story. The author invokes all the senses with this one. I wish it was a series.
Tim Johnson
Jun 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Intriguing and witty

An intriguing story with interesting characters. The first person perspective provides a sense of being involved, not just watching the story unfold.
Jeff Cochrane
May 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good read

I enjoyed it. The blend of computer tech and action worked well. The characters were believable, complete with flaws. Russ did grow as did Cali. Recommended.
Joshua
Jan 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Gripping techno-noir! Very detailed and well-researched.
Frank
May 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Powerful and intense

An incredibly well written story, mysterious ans suspenseful that kept me guessing what was going to happen next. Very hard to put down.
Linda Haas
Oct 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I won this book thru Goodreads. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. It's written in first person so it's easy to follow and it moves quickly. It has a lot of computer language and I'm not a computer geek but you don't have to be to follow the plot. It has twists and turns. It kept me up reading it into the night.
Mary Rankin
Feb 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Very enjoyable, good pacing, liked the characters
Evenstar
Feb 17, 2017 rated it it was ok
I don't think this was the intent of the author, but what I did get out of the story was a cautionary tale on just how messed up your life is and the plethora of bad decisions you make when you get drunk every day of your life.
Heidi Thorsen
Feb 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I read most of this in one afternoon. It was engaging and entertaining, although one plot twist was really obvious from the beginning, so there wasn't much of a surprise toward the end. I nevertheless enjoyed reading it, and recommend it to anyone who likes thrillers. It's got some violence but nothing too gory, it's both about the chase for the money and the love interest.

• Fast Track to Glory (Nina Monte Mystery #1)
  • The Second Man
  • Precipice
  • Heaven Cracks, Earth Shakes: The Tangshan Earthquake and the Death of Mao's China
  • The Man With No Time (Simeon Grist Mystery, #5)
  • 11 Harrowhouse
  • The Wild Country (The Wild Country #1)
  • Cash Burn
  • Dead Air (Sammy Greene, #1)
  • The Billion Dollar Heist
  • The Carnage Account
  • The Dollhouse in the Crawlspace
  • Midnight Sun (Grant & Daniels Trilogy #1)
  • Out of Tupelo
  • Dust Up
  • Plagued, with Guilt
  • Show Me the Murder
  • Terminal Justice
Andrew Diamond writes mystery, crime, and noir. His books feature cinematic prose, strong characterization, twisting plots, and dark humor. Amazon editors named Impala a best of the month mystery, and IndieReader named it to their best of 2016 list. Impala also won the Readers' Favorite Gold Medal for mystery and the 24th Annual Writer's Digest award for genre fiction. BestThrillers.com called Gat ...more