Start by marking “The Strange Fascinations of Noah Hypnotik” as Want to Read:
The Strange Fascinations of Noah Hypnotik

The Strange Fascinations of Noah Hypnotik

This is Noah Oakman → sixteen, Bowie believer, concise historian, disillusioned swimmer, son, brother, friend.

Then Noah → gets hypnotized.

Now Noah → sees changes—inexplicable scars, odd behaviors, rewritten histories—in all those around him. All except his Strange Fascinations . . .
Published May 22nd 2018 by Viking Children's

To ask other readers questions about The Strange Fascinations of Noah Hypnotik, please sign up.
Adorkablereader Read Them ALL!! I read Mosquitoland and Kids of Appetite first and liked it that way, because although they have nothing in common, I believe each boo…moreRead Them ALL!! I read Mosquitoland and Kids of Appetite first and liked it that way, because although they have nothing in common, I believe each book subsequently requires you to stretch your mind and be more open to his amazing ideas.(less)

Start your review of The Strange Fascinations of Noah Hypnotik
Adam Silvera
Aug 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, 2017-reads
This is my very favorite David Arnold book, and I LOVE Mosquitoland and Kids of Appetite. He's a wordsmith who's outdone himself in THE STRANGE FASCINATIONS OF NOAH HYPNOTIK and I can't wait for you to sink into this world.
TL
Jul 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to TL by: Figgy
Spur of the moment buddyread with Figgy.

Funny story, I had actually read this author's other book Mosquitoland and really enjoyed it but then never followed up on this author. Why? I had some life and most likely workstuff going on then and it slipped my mind.

So when I saw this, I didn't make the connection right away till my book came in the mail and I saw it mentioned at the top of my copy.
Haha, Here's my sign :)
---

My head hurts so this'll be short and sweet... I really enjoyed this one and t
Stefani Sloma
Jul 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018-releases
To absolutely no one's surprise, I loved this book.

It's a bizarre, wild ride of a book, and I did not want it to stop. I read it so slowly because I wanted to savor every last delicious word. If I hadn't promised to let someone borrow my ARC, I would've flipped right back to page one and started reading it again. David has this wonderful talent of writing such strange but true-to-life characters that I feel like I know in real life. The Strange Fascinations of Noah Hypnotik is weird and wonderf
Brooke — brooklynnnnereads
May 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: arcs
This was the fun, quirky, unique, and creative read that I was expecting.

It was the coming of age story of Noah as well as a look at the struggles that he goes through in the midst of being a teenager and discovering himself.

Told in a unique way, this novel includes modern media references (e.g. Gilmore Girls) as well as illustrations which I enjoyed. The story is told in a way which truly does appear to resemble the inner workings of a teenager's mind, allowing readers to relate to Noah's chara
Figgy
Review to come... in the meantime:

This was a cute and engaging story, with some creepy and interesting coincidences, with a main character who finds himself on the cusp of "coming of age", and moving on to university, and making the big decisions that surround such things.

He also has certain compulsions and obsessions, though I wouldn't go so far as to say he has OCD.

There is a good sense of humour to the telling of the story, and even when Noah does things that we can see having repercussions a
Bang Bang Books
May 12, 2018 rated it it was ok
OMG, where to begin.

I consider myself to be an intelligent person who can usually understand books but I DO NOT KNOW WHAT THE FUCK THIS BOOK WAS TRYING TO DO.

First of all the MC Noah is not the most likable character and I think he is supposed to be. He’s written as this insightful deep thinker but he comes across pretentious asshole who doesn’t have time to be bothered with petty high school problems because his brain is full of Thoreau. And then there were chapters all about him and how he thi
Ryan
Jun 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is my favorite book by David Arnold. This is such an ambitious, fun, delightfully weird book with a ton of heart & a group of friends you'd pretty much do anything to become part of their social group. In other words, it's a David Arnold book.

There's a lot to unpack and I look forward to doing so. I feel like there's so much I could say but I don't know where to begin but I really enjoyed being in Noah's head and I loved how David explored what it means to be alone and what it means to be l
The Candid Cover (Olivia & Lori)
The Strange Fascinations of Noah Hypnotik by David Arnold is a unique story about a boy who gets hypnotized. The main character is realistic, and the writing style is so entertaining. I would definitely recommend this book, since it is such a wild ride.

Full review on The Candid Cover
Melissa
Jan 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book kinda sideswiped me with its ambition, daring, and brilliance. The weirdo concept sounded too good to be true, but Arnold takes his wild idea and GOES FOR IT, balls to the wall, and spits you out the other side like, "wtf just happened? Let's do it again!"

For a more coherent take, please see: a different review.
Irena BookDustMagic
May 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Reading The Strange Fascinations of Noah Hypnotik was so enjoyable. I understand why someone would be turned off after reading the blurb, but you don’t have to worry.
It all makes sense in the end and is actually pretty realistic. I mean, it all has it’s why and how.

This is a wonderful coming of age story with the most interesting characters. My favorite was Noah’ sister Penny.

The story is full of pop culture references and you could actually learn a lot from those, at least I have.

I liked how No
Noha Badawi
Jun 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Some people have been on earth before and some people never get the chance.

bordering on the 3.5 stars.
Considering the fact that i do not read a lot of contemporary books anymore; i liked this one.
Some truths in there spoke loud and clear to me and it's always good when a book touches one heart like that.
full review
Cori Reed
Jun 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED this book. Probably one of the best books I've read this year.
Carlos
Aug 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was such a trip . It took me around 100 pages to really get into the book . But once I was engaged I found it very easy to keep going . I kind of loved the friendship displayed by The three main characters and I also loved the displayed parental acceptance that Noah receives by his parents when he finally decided to tell them about his back injury (I think it’s awesome for teenagers to see example of these more often in YA literature) . I highly disliked the cover tough ( and I know better ...more
Kyle
Aug 12, 2018 rated it did not like it
Actual rating: 1.25

You know those books where you get the urge to constantly keep checking the page numbers, because the end is just one more page, keep going! That’s it, you’re getting closer!... Where you literally have to force yourself to finish it? Yeah, that book was The Strange Fascinations of Noah Hypnotik.

I could not get myself to connect with the characters. I truly felt nothing. The entire read-through was a lesson in patience, in all honesty. And although, at times, the writing could
Samantha (WLABB)
Apr 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Rating: 4.5 Stars

Things in Noah's life appeared to be going according to plan. The problem was, they were not his plans. He was 16-years old, and not sure what he really wanted. He, in fact, seemed to be having a sort of existential-crisis. His solution? He got really drunk, and spent time with a rather strange stranger, who appeared to have done something to him, because the following day, Noah's life had been altered in small ways with big affects.

I fell in love with Arnold's storytelling via
Uriel Perez
Mar 02, 2018 rated it liked it
More like 3.75 ⭐️s

I’m not the biggest fan of YA fiction, but I read a blurb that likened this book to the work of Murakami so I thought I’d give it a try. The blurb didn’t lie — there’s a slacker male protagonist, meandering and thoughtful prose and a ton of references to music and movies. I enjoyed the vibrant personality of the narrator and the relationships between friends and family; they felt believable and their connections really kept me going throughout the book.

The plot, I found, was la
Jul 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
I think I might have a strange fascination with this book now.

This book is by no means perfect, but I think something can be said about the way it makes me fear for any small change that might happen in my life. Seriously though, if suddenly, I wake up one day and my best friend’s favorite color is now orange instead of pink or, like in the book, I wake up and my friend who obsesses over DC is suddenly obsessing over Marvel and has no recollection of ever loving DC, I will become a recluse. I wi
Cory Marie
Mar 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I am strangely fascinated by how brilliant David Arnold must be for him to have been able to come up with this story. I was moved, shocked, awed, and all around super impressed by the wonder I felt while reading this. It’s really not rare for me to give a book 5 stars, but this one in particular is probably deserving of at least 12 stars just for pure originality alone.
Cassie
May 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
First off . . . WHOA!

There is no one way to explain the profound literary oddities and beautiful complexities of The Strange Fascinations of Noah Hypnotik. But for me, this book was a combination of my favorite movie, one of my favorite books, and one of my favorite TV shows. Mix the quirks and cerebral explorations found in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, add in a dash of Holden Caulfield’s blunt honesty and independent drive and the uncensored monologues of Angela Chase in My So-Called
Andreas
Apr 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
Okay so, was this supposed to be deep? And meaningful? And let me guess... powerful, right? Because it wasn’t.

First off, it feels like I just read a John Green novel, which mind you, it is not a bad thing, I think, had I chosen to read a John Green novel. Which I didn’t.
Second, people really need to stop with this pseudo-intellectualism; no really, I mean it, stop. One more look-at-me-me-I-am-so0o0o0-deep 16-year-old teen singing the praises of Thoreau and I’ll flip... yo.
Which leads me to my th
Stacy Fetters
Apr 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"Well the way I see it, a guy shows up with note cards and a boom box means he’s got some time on his hands. But a guy shows up with snow, that’s either destiny or wizardry."

David Arnold takes you on an epic journey, one that leaves you gasping while flipping through your vinyl collection. This one was weird but a lot of fun to read.

From the synopsis, you know that you are going to be delving into the world of the weird and the bizarre. And that is what I'm all about. It's like he looked at wha
Lectus
Mar 18, 2018 rated it did not like it
Not for me. I wasn't interested in Noah's life regardless of how verbose it was told. Yes, it is well written, it is just that eloquent ramblings is not my thing.
Lost in Book Land
Oct 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
I have still been on track with my goal of reading two novels a week and posting two reviews and reading two graphic novels and posting two reviews. This was a personal goal I set and I have been incredibly happy so far because it is helping me to actually focus on reading a little more. I am sure at some point I may fall off the wagon and not finish my goal for a week but that will still be okay! For this week I finally read The Strange Fascinations of Noah Hypnotik, this book has been on my TB ...more
Debbie
Jan 08, 2020 rated it it was ok
I almost quit reading this book a couple of times. Then I would remind myself of how much I loved David Arnold’s prior book, Mosquitoland, and of how highly this was rated on Good Reads (4.05 the last time I looked). I stuck with it because I was a little curious as to how this story would play out. The basic premise is that after an encounter with a strange new friend Noah’s entire world is changed – not in big ways – just small but significant things. His aging dog is suddenly alert and agile. ...more
maya
Oct 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
okay, i admit i was a little skeptical about this for the first half. but then the last hundred pages happened and hhJSHDHHhs !!!

i wasn't really sure if i understood the book, i wasn't sure where the story was going, what noah was trying to tell me, etc. some things were a little confusing, but not necessarily in a bad way. i adored noah and especially the friendship he shared with alan and val. a guy who's not afraid to express his (platonic) love to his gay best friend!!! that's rare!!!
(honest
Grace
Mar 22, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I actually read this last year and I remember having so much fun with it.
This contemporary is well worth the read!
Cody Roecker
Jul 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
5/25:

Simply, WOW. I am a changed man. this book was... spectacular and showstopping

whatever day this was announced:
Everything about this. I am excited about all of it.

Noah Hypnotik. i'm ready to meet you. I really am.

I love David Arnold and I need this book. one of my most highly anticipated releases of 2018, for sure.
Dan Ries
Jan 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
5 BRILLIANT Stars
I read Strange Fascinations slowly, just as I did with the two other Arlnold books I’ve read (Mosquitoland and Kids of Appetite). I find his writing analogous to a painting that commands your attention, one that you just have to stand in front of for a long time to truly appreciate and to take in all of the exquisite details. As with his other two books, I found myself highlighting several passages that I know I’ll go back to at a later date.
Speaking of going back, I am actuall
Maureen
May 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is an odd book about an odd boy who seemingly gets hypnotized and begins living in an alternate reality. Noah and his friends Alan and Val spend all their time together, except when they suddenly don’t. Noah pulls away from them and Alan and Val continue their lives without him. This is a quirky novel, a bit angsty, but when things come together in the end, you are glad you came along for the ride. Thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for allowing me to be an early reader in exchange for m ...more
MCLS Reading Chal...: Read for LGBTQ Character 1 30 Mar 26, 2018 11:08AM

• Darius the Great Is Not Okay (Darius The Great, #1)
  • Girl Code: Gaming, Going Viral, and Getting It Done
  • Audacity
  • Rayne & Delilah's Midnite Matinee
  • Neanderthal Opens the Door to the Universe
  • The Past and Other Things That Should Stay Buried
  • Rabbit & Robot
  • The Apocalypse of Elena Mendoza
  • Dig.
  • Infinity Son (Infinity Cycle, #1)
  • The Love Letters of Abelard and Lily
  • Anger Is a Gift
  • The Field Guide to the North American Teenager
  • At the Edge of the Universe
  • Picture Us in the Light
  • Mary's Monster: Love, Madness, and How Mary Shelley Created Frankenstein
  • Brave Face
  • The New David Espinoza
David Arnold lives in Lexington, Kentucky, with his (lovely) wife and (boisterous) son. He is the New York Times bestselling author of Mosquitoland, Kids of Appetite, and The Strange Fascinations of Noah Hypnotik; his books have been translated into over a dozen languages. Learn more at davidarnoldbooks.com and follow him on Twitter @roofbeam and Instagram @iamdavidarnold.

Articles featuring this book

If we need a paperweight, we're grabbing a hardcover. Otherwise, we're big fans of paperbacks. They're the lighter, less expensive option—the pe...
“I romanticize my past and I romanticize my future; right now is always the bleakest moment of my life.” 23 likes
“and I tell her she can still love this flawed thing. I tell her it will be a different love, a little sadder maybe, but wiser, too. I tell her that if we can’t love flawed things, we probably wouldn’t love anything at all.” 12 likes