Start by marking “Zen and the Art of Vampires (Dark Ones #6)” as Want to Read:
Zen and the Art of Vampires (Dark Ones #6)

Zen and the Art of Vampires

(Dark Ones #6)

White picket fences can be dangerous to vampires. Sometimes a woman’s gotta choose…

Pia Thomason doesn’t have a typical life, but she wants one. The husband, the kids, the house in the suburbs… With her fortieth birthday looming, she decides to do something drastic, and takes off on a singles’ tour through romantic Europe.

But the few guys on the trip leave much to be desire
Published December 2nd 2008 by Signet

To ask other readers questions about Zen and the Art of Vampires, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Zen and the Art of Vampires

Gavin
Jun 26, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paranormal
This was a humorous and lighthearted PNR tale. Pia Thompson is on a singles trip around Europe when she becomes caught up in the battle between the Dark Ones (vampires) and the Brotherhood (a crazed cult). A case of mistaken identity finds her being mistaken as the new Zorya of the Brotherhood. Pia's new position gives her powers to see ghosts but also the responsibility to help them cross to Heaven. What ensues is a fun fast paced tale full of humor, action, mystery, and a tad of romance.

I lov
Julie (jjmachshev)
Dec 07, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2008-reads
Humpf! I've been a reader of Katie MacAlister's 'Dark Ones' series--a lighthearted take on vampires--since it began. These are some very sexy vamps, but they don't have most of the supernatural powers other writers have given to their vamps. They are pretty much a group of people like others, although extremely long-lived to be sure. Those without a soul are looking for their Beloved, the one woman who can return their soul to them...but most believe a Beloved is a lot like the tooth fairy or Sa ...more
Terra
Jan 09, 2009 rated it really liked it
Zen And The Art of Vampires is a fantastic paranormal cozy mystery with a dash of romance to enhance the flavor. Yumm!! Katie is at her best here again and can't wait for the next book.

Pia Thompson is on a man hunting vacation. She is taking a singles' tour through Europe in hopes for finding someone who will spark her fires. She not's the usual skinny pretty woman that any man would drool over but instead she is a plain jane and has some meat on her bones. At least there is enough of her for a
Chessa
Dec 15, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of Katie MacAlister, MaryJanice Davidson
Carrie
Jan 04, 2009 rated it it was ok
Eh. I don't have any idea what the title had to do with the content of the book, other than "vampires."
Eli Easton
Jan 23, 2017 rated it liked it
I love Molly Harper, so when I saw this rec'd on facebook as being similar, I got the audiobook. I liked the story and writing overall, though the narrator was a bit whiny and grating. I particularly got into the storyline in the last 3rd of the book. The reason I'm giving it 3 stars instead of higher is because after 10 hours and 20 minutes of listening to the audiobook, I didn't get a resolution. This book ends without an HEA or even an HFN, with the H and h apart. There is a sequel for this c ...more
Desinka
Nov 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
First read and reread: 2012
Second reread: June 2014

This proves to be an all time time favourite. When I read this book for the first time, I thought it was the best PNR romance of all times. Since then I've read a good number of PNR romances but Pia and Kristoff are still one of my all time favourite couples. The story is light-hearted and fun and the outcome of the romance, though a bit predictable is quite sweet and touching.

Even though the story has its flaws and some of the happenings are p
Lori Whitwam
Jan 03, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: vampire, chick-lit
The latest in the series of the Dark Ones, and the women destined to be their Beloveds, the ones who can redeem their souls.
Pia is nearing 40, and on a singles tour of Europe. She is mistaken for the reaper (who can usher souls to the afterlife) of a strange religious group, then the real one is found dead in her bathroom, sending her on the run and straight into the arms of TWO Dark Ones, who are mortal enemies of this religious group.
She's the Beloved of one, but which?
Who can she trust?
And w
Janet
Feb 16, 2009 rated it really liked it
I stayed awake all last night reading this book. Katie's books are always the perfect escape for me. I was supposed to be studying for a philosophy test, but, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....boring! So I opted for this instead. (btw, I aced the test anyway!)

As always, I was not disappointed. BUT, do you know what that little Katie went and did? She didn't wrap things up all nice and tidy at the end. She left me (and our heroine) wanting! There's a sequel that won't be out until May!!!!! How ever will
Heather T
Jan 03, 2011 rated it liked it
2.5 ish.
I think most of this series just gets boring after a while since it seems to be rather repetative so I stopped reading it for a while. When I finally picked it up again it was because I needed a book that started with the letter Z for a challenge. This one is not great, but it stood out for me because it was different in some ways. Apparently the main character will be in the next story. I appreciate that the book ended the way it did because it took away a lot of the predictability fac
Lisa
Oct 16, 2008 rated it really liked it
I love all her books, they're funny, romantic, serious, mysterious, and sometimes suspenseful. This is a very quick read and has some good twists and turns. I have to say I wasn't all that impressed with the new plot themes, that of the Brotherhood, and the Ilargi, but overall it was definitely worth it.
Megan
Aug 01, 2017 rated it did not like it
I hated this book. I hated the female MC. She was a freaking idiot. I mean seriously TSTL. And I HATE that for some reason this was split up into 2 books. Wtf? I hate that I have to read another book with Pia(sp?) as the narrator. GAH!!!!
Leigh
Dec 28, 2008 rated it it was ok
I can't say I liked this book much. I like Katie Mac and all, but I'm a little tired of her heroines obsessing about a few extra pounds for the ENTIRE book. Pia just came off as whiny and I didn't care much for her at all.
JazzRizz
Jun 24, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2008, library
I liked this book a lot, but the cliff hanger at the end is what prevented a 5-star rating. I was so frustrated at the end of this book . . . I can hardly wait for the next book to come out.
Annie
Jan 08, 2009 rated it liked it
i can't say how annoyed i was to reach the end of this book and find out that the story wasn't over. be warned, it's at least a two parter
Jean
Dec 12, 2008 rated it did not like it
Shelves: paranormals
I've enjoyed Katie's books, but the ditzy heroine who stumbles her way around is getting old. I skipped to the back and was annoyed to find that it continues into the next book.
Beth
Jan 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This was awesome! Funny, sexy and interesting. Great read! I cannot wait to see what happens with Pia next!!
Romance Novel TV
May 31, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Zen and the Art of Vampires: 4.5 stars
Crouching Vampire, Hidden Fang: 5 Stars
Reviewed by Stacey Agdern

In a climate where authorial desire for innovation and reader expectations have clashed in very notable ways, Katie MacAlister’s latest ‘Dark Ones’ novels stand out as examples of how best to deal with both concepts and come out with a home run.

No matter how many times people try to deny it, both authorial desire for innovation and reader expectations, are necessary and important parts of the au
Cindy
Mar 16, 2009 rated it really liked it
The story arc continues into 'Crouching Vampire, Hidden Fang' which is due out in May. The hero and heroine are mated but not together at the end of this book, which I find annoying. If I had realized, I would have simply waited for the next book and read them together - I don't deal with 'serialized' stuff well.

As for the portion of the story you do get - I happen to be reading some of Viehl's Darkyn books at the same time, so the parallels of frothing fanatics wanting to torture, maim and dest
Katy-Del
Jan 02, 2009 rated it really liked it
I have always liked the Dark Ones Novels. Katie puts in a lot of humor and there are often what I would refer to as a Lucy Situations (I have those occasionally and I relate to characters that do to.) But the books had all had a formulaic feel. (Heroine meets tall, gorgeous stranger, girl doesn't like or trust stranger, but is still deeply attracted, girl and stranger are plunged into peril and bond, fool around, discover girl is the Beloved who gives stranger his soul, couple lives happily ever ...more
Debbie
Mar 02, 2009 rated it really liked it
I loved this book and think I found a new series to catch up on. It's apparently a part of the Dark Ones series and the next one is due out in May. I can't wait as you are sort of left at a cliff hanger at the end of the book and I really want to know what happens. I kind of wonder if Magda is really who she says she is? Seems like she was too good to be true but you never know. Pia cracks me up and I can totally related to being the "big" girl and I am glad she actually ends up with several guy ...more
Allison
Dec 16, 2008 rated it really liked it
No deep soul-searching here, just good ol' fashioned fun :) Well, with vampires... and ghosts... and crazy religious cults. Don't forget the super hot vampire sex! Read this on a plane trip and it was perfect. Being an fan of steamy bodice rippers in my youth, I recognized the formula for a good girl meets bad boy romance but hey, I don't want rocket science here, I want something to keep me occupied while I'm hurling through the sky in a tin can. I was not disappointed :) You won't be either if ...more
Kimchi
Jan 05, 2009 rated it liked it
I didnt like that the book didnt finish. It sucks when you have to wait for the conclusion of the first book. I also wasn't a fan of her having to decide between two men instead of having a like for the man she was suppose to love.
Leslie
Jan 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
I loved this book. I am glad I took my friends advice and read it.
Lisa Rochon
Feb 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was my first Katie MacAlister novel and I enjoyed reading it.
Pia was on a singles trip looking for love, and she got way more than she bargained for, including two hot vampires (Dark Ones), and an entourage of ghosts, among other things.
I found Pia to be entertaining and sweet, getting herself into situations that made me laugh out loud. I liked her "roll with it" attitude, and her desire to help others. I also liked the developing relationship between her and Kristoff and was left with my
Vickie
Feb 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: listened-to
I forgot how much fun it can be to listen to or read a Katie MacAlister book. Funny, romance that's not too over the top [I am an 'action on the streets, not between the sheets' kinda chickie], fab characters I like and intriguing story.
I think I prefer her Dark One stories over her dragon tales. Both are nifty, but the Dark Ones play the lighthearted human with the broody vampire and it's a good contrast.
I look forward to more with Kristoff and Pia. I could identify with Pia. She is a fluffy,
Suzanne
Aug 05, 2018 rated it it was ok
This book was not for me. A friend loaned it to me saying it was funny and there were some comical moments,which is why I'm giving two stars instead of one. I found the heroine a little annoying and the story went from funny to completely ridiculous. Then to top it off I get to the end and find it continues into a second book and I find I dont care enough to find out what happens. I've read and enjoyed Katie Mc Alister before,but I guess you cant love them all 🤷♀
Please remember this is just my o
Laurel
Jul 07, 2018 rated it it was ok
This book was so bad. It was so bad I could not tell if it was a little good. But mostly the book was trash so I am giving it a bad rating. I only gave it two stars instead of one because it was so bad that when I summed it up for my friends they thought it was funny. The blurb on the back and the actual plot are not very similar at all. The romance was also all over the place. There was bits of sloppy writing when things would happen suddenly with no explanation. In fact, there was a distinct l ...more
Victoria Otero
Jan 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Realistically, I’d rate this more of a 3.5. It took a while for this story to pick up, and I wasn’t really invested until about 65% through. The plot felt someone disjointed at the beginning and Alec being immediately in love with Pia was weird. With that said, the story eventually developed a strong narrative thread, and I’m excited to see what the best book in the series has to bring for Pia.
Demeiko
Nov 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Yes!! The magic is back. Loved loved loved this book in the series. The hilarity and strong yet humble heroine reigns in this book. And of course there’s the sexy, hot and brooding Dark One that sets my imagination on fire 🔥. I’m so glad they continue in the next series!
  • Circus of the Darned (Ben and Fran, #2)
  • I Only Have Fangs for You (Young Brothers, #3)
  • Just One Bite (Dead End Dating #4)
  • Secret Life of a Vampire (Love at Stake, #6)
  • Real Vampires Don't Diet (Glory St. Clair, #4)
  • Bled Dry (Vegas Vampires, #3)
  • Because Your Vampire Said So (Broken Heart #3)
  • A Darker Dream
  • Ghost of a Chance (Karma Marx, #1)
  • Stakes & Stilettos (Immortality Bites, #4)
  • Nice Girls Don't Date Dead Men (Jane Jameson, #2)
  • He Loves Me, He Loves Me Hot (Immortally Sexy, #3)
For as long as she can remember, Katie MacAlister has loved reading. Growing up in a family where a weekly visit to the library was a given, Katie spent much of her time with her nose buried in a book. Despite her love for novels, she didn't think of writing them until she was contracted to write a non-fiction book about software. Since her editor refused to allow her to include either witty dialo ...more

Dark Ones (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • A Girl's Guide to Vampires (Dark Ones #1)
  • Sex and the Single Vampire (Dark Ones #2)
  • Sex, Lies and Vampires (Dark Ones #3)
  • Even Vampires Get the Blues (Dark Ones #4)
  • The Last of the Red-Hot Vampires (Dark Ones #5)
  • Crouching Vampire, Hidden Fang (Dark Ones #7)
  • In the Company of Vampires (Dark Ones #8)
  • Much Ado About Vampires (Dark Ones, #9)
  • A Tale of Two Vampires (Dark Ones, #10)
  • The Vampire Always Rises (Dark Ones Book 11)
“What's a friend for if not to face almost certain death with, eh?” 32 likes