Start by marking “Bomber: The Whole Story” as Want to Read:
Bomber: The Whole Story

Bomber: The Whole Story

Mark Thompson has had more than his fair share of challenges and dramas in his career. He's been part of five premierships: three as a player at Essendon, where he was coached by the best, and two at Geelong, where he coached that club's greatest team of all. He exited the game amid the Essendon supplements scandal with unfinished business. After 34 years 'at a thousand ...more
Published 2016 by Penguin Books Australia

To ask other readers questions about Bomber, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bomber

Start your review of Bomber: The Whole Story
Douglas Fyfe
May 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Really enjoyed this one. An easy read and always gaining new insights into a period of time I'm very familiar with from an outsider's perspective; great to hear what it was like on the inside.

One thought I had on reflection, hearing how he understands culture in an organisation and has ideas on how to change it, is how good it would be for him to go into AFL house and work on the culture there in the same way as he did as Geelong and would've, had he been given the chance to, at Essendon. It
Philip Hunt
Of interest, most likely, only to AFL football fans and those wanting to understand what-the-f*** happened at Essendon. As for the football, Mark's book is good on how the game is played and, as expected, as it is coached. Or ought to be. On the Essendon saga, Mark's view is mostly "What Happened?" bemusement. He, like the 34 players, are portrayed as victims of an incompetent and lax club administration, and an aggressive and punitive AFL. Bottom line: a lack of natural justice resulted in the ...more
Matt Farrelly
Jun 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Always been a fan of Bomber Thompson in both the way he played his football at Essendon and later with his coaching methods that went on to produce one of the most dominant teams in AFL/VFL history. This book chronicles his journey from young player. to premiership winning coach, to the dark days when Essendon was embroiled in the supplements scandal and his role in that.
Andrew Hall
Oct 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Mark is a great man, in the wrong place at the wrong time and in the right place at the riht time.
Julie Garner
Aug 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biographies
What a fascinating read and insight in to the world of Aussie Rules from the perspective of player, coach and fan. I enjoyed reading what Bomber had to say in all aspects of his AFL career.
As a Geelong fan I found it especially interesting to read what he had to say about his time at Geelong, as well as his thoughts on their recent adventures.
His writing about the Essendon Football Club as a player just brought back memories of the 80s and watching the football from that time. His hardhitting
Damien Morgan
Dec 25, 2016 rated it liked it
For a start, it's not the whole story.
I have enjoyed watching Bomber on AFL360 on Australian TV, and his thoughts are usually insightful. He gets a bit prickly around certain subjects, and those are exactly the ones I expected more of in this 'Whole Story'.
We needed more about the Gary Ablett saga at Geelong in 2010, why Essendon missed a pre-season game in 2012, and much more about the governance and drugs disaster that Essendon was, while he was there as Assistant Coach - a position of power!
CF
Nov 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: australia, sport, afl
Explosive.

Chronicling his life from a footy-loving kid in Airport West, right through to the controversial Essendon supplements saga and the end of the 2016 season, Bomber covers his entire life in footy in detail.

Including long extracts on what he thinks of free agency, his role in the supplements saga, his favourite players to play with and to coach, and heaps more. Bomber doesn't censor anything and his views are so honestly presented.

The part on the supplements saga is especially
Tony
Sep 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was excellent book. While I am not a huge AFL fan this did not impact upon my enjoyment at all. What shone through to me was Thompson's leadership, honesty and self belief. Working in that environment would be very difficult and yet he is/was able to navigate through it without compromising his principles. A great read.
Kerri Jones
Sep 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography
I thought this was a great read. The only reason I gave it 4 stars was because I didn't read the section on his Geelong years so it felt unfair giving it a 5! What I read I found honest and insightful. The debacle at Essendon was well documented and clearly goes to show the mess the AFL found themselves in and many people who did not do the right thing (including Essendon!)
Tracy Collier
Sep 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
A very enjoyable book to read with a good insight to his thoughts as both a player and a coach and through what happened at Essendon.
Vicki Robe
Dec 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
It was insightful and interesting but didn't really surprise as I am sure that there would be restrictions on what can be mentioned in regards to the doping saga at Essendon.
Jake Graham
Sep 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Loved it. Very honest and inspiring. What a coach!!
Maureen Thompson

• True Colours: My Life
  • Diana vs. Charles: Royal Blood Feud
  • God is Good for You: A defence of Christianity in troubled times
  • Seeking Allah, Finding Jesus: A Devout Muslim Encounters Christianity
  • Everybody, Always: Becoming Love in a World Full of Setbacks and Difficult People
  • The Preacher
  • Dane Swan: My Story
  • The Road Back to You: An Enneagram Journey to Self-Discovery
  • Paris and Other Disappointments
  • Auschwitz Escape: The Klara Wizel Story
  • The Thirst (Harry Hole, #11)
  • Run with the Horses: The Quest for Life at Its Best
Librarian Note: There is more than one author by this name in the Goodreads data base.