Start by marking “Spill” as Want to Read:
Spill

Spill

Audiobook, 2 pages
Published (first published August 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Spill, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spill

Start your review of Spill
Etienne
May 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another «version» of way to tell the story of Deepwater Horizon. A true tragedy can’t say anything against that. Also working on those drilling platform is just a high risky job that we should have a long discussion to determine if this is really necessary in our modern world... Anyway, for the book, it was good, we feel the tragedy, the life impacted by it, and the form that goes from various «interview» and discussion and memory, all is well done. I listen to it on audiobook and the «acting» ...more
Lori
May 19, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This performance by L.A. Theatre Works relates the story of British Petroleum's Deepwater Horizon oil spill through the "voices" of survivors, spouses, and other interested parties. Listeners hear concerns about safety protocols which were ignored because "time is money." They also learn how unprepared the oil industry was to deal with catastrophic events such as this one. The story mainly focuses on the human toll. A very brief section discusses the environmental impact, but it is not the ...more
Sandy
May 16, 2019 marked it as want-to-read-own
I received a download copy of this novel from Sync Audiobooks for Teens
Pinky
Jun 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-19
A fantastic play about the BP oil spill and tragic mismanagement of the rig Deep Horizon in the Gulf of Mexico in 2010. Lives lost, millions of tons of oil polluting the gulf and immeasurable damage to the surrounding ecosystems. I was introduced to this as part of AudiobookSync. It was paired with McCall Hoyle’s Meet the Sky, a book about the unstoppable power of nature and the devastation of a hurricane.

Fantastic for a discussion about natural v man made disasters and environmental impact.
Nadine
Play about BP Deepwater Horizon Tragedy heard as an audiobook. I must admit it took a little time to get into it - there's something about script dialog that it seems artificial and unrealistic initially - you hear it and can just see the person on the stage with the spotlight on them - versus how it really would be in reality. However the story grows on you as it evolves and particularly the bits about the cover up, the dropping of survivors, the signing of disclaimers and the health problems ...more
Laurie
Jun 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, 2019
Audiobook Sync offered this 2hr audio play by LA Theater Works going over the events of BP’s catastrophic deep sea drilling explosion and oil contamination on the Gulf in 2010 through the format of interviews. I listened to this with my 14yr old and he was riveted, it was well done. We were able to have a valuable conversation after on pros and cons, economic considerations, and more. It gave me another opportunity to preach on the complexity of political decisions and the importance of hearing ...more
Jul 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My mom got a free copy of this LA Theatre Works audio play at a conference and, as usual, the production values were excellent.

The story was unexpected but gripping - excerpts from interviews with people involved with the Deepwater Horizon explosion in the Gulf of Mexico in 2010 - families of those who died, workers on the rig, BP executives, and news reports as the disaster unfolded.

Combining all these stories together into one work is powerful and a great starting place for anyone wanting to
Tasnim
Jun 05, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's about the Deepwater Horizon tragedy. When we think of a tragedy like this the things that come to our mind are lives lost, the technical faults, lack of safety etc. A tragedy doesn't end there. The people who died were alive once. They had a life that involved other people too on it. This story through tellings of the guardians of the lost, the rescuers and other people involved it, had shed some light on the incident.
Patricia
May 28, 2019 rated it liked it
It's hard to like this account because of the tragedy and the gross misconduct. However, the account is necessary to know. Now that I study the adverse effects of the oil and gas industry on the environment, I need to also consider how human life is affected. Hopefully my work will contribute to a change in the way we think about and use fossil fuels in this country, just as I hope the Deepwater Horizon story will eventually lead to real change.
Carrie
May 20, 2019 rated it liked it
LA Theater Works' audiobook version of this relays the events of April 20, 2010 from the perspective of survivors, spouses, lawyers, and key figures within BP. Sad and interesting, I thought the story was a good one to tell.
Julie
Jul 09, 2019 rated it it was ok
This is actually an audio recording of a play about the BP oil disaster. Although very interesting, it would have been more interesting watching it. However,it was a good reminder of how we endanger lives for our fight for fossil fuels.
Heather
Jun 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: audio-book, sync
If you want to know more about the BP Deepwater Horizon Tragedy of 2010, which is considered to be the largest marine oil spill in the history of the petroleum industry, listen to this. It's done by several actors in a play like format.
Mrs. Schonour
Jun 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This is a nice, little synopsis that only takes 2 hours. It’s very well done and the sound effects are great. The theatre did a wonderful job telling this tragic story. It has inspired me to want to learn more.
Erin
May 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult, audio
That this is a play may lessen some of the impact because you're only hearing the dialog, but the actors are riveting. It was a terrible, terrible event that I feel I have a greater appreciation for and knowledge of.
Annasnova
May 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
A 2h audio play about the Deepwater Horizon spill in the Gulf of Mexico. Does a great job painting the circumstances before, during, and after the catastrophe. Enjoyed all the actors’ narration. Not very deep but fast-paced and easy to listen to despite the heavy subject.
Rebecca
Dec 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
I really enjoy these LA Theatre Works productions. This was a really interesting production of Spill about the explosion of Deepwater Horizon. I would love to see the way this play would be staged, but I'm glad I got to experience it via audio.
Powder River Rose
Overall a good short story based on the events in April of 2010 when the Deepwater Horizon drilling rig exploded and the open well dumped more than 500 million gallons of oil into the Gulf Coast waters. The multi-cast narration was very well done as was the overall production.
Robin
Nov 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Read by a cast of characters, this book was a bit hard to follow.
Steven
A very emotional play. It shows the slides and how even in the face of overwhelming evidence people cling to what they already believe.
Alicia Weaver
Sep 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Super quick audiobook performance by the LA theatre works. This is the true story of the deadly BP oil spill.
Jdub Wright
Nov 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: listened
What a great audio app performance! The voice actors were great. The sounds and effects were intense. The story, although of course tragic, was enthralling.
Sally Banfield
Nov 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Moving
Lizanne Johnson
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A tragedy that we should not forget. We should learn from it. Great audiobook. Thanks sync.
Terynce
Sep 12, 2019 rated it it was ok
Short play. Corporate greed > people's lives. Seems to be a recurring theme.
April
Some good emotional and personal connections to the Deepwater Horizon spill, but ultimately this felt superficial and didn't move me to a deeper understanding or connection to the disaster.
Becky Kondritz
Jun 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Part of SYNC Audiobook summer series for YA. Excellent.
Amy Fish
Jul 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Eye opening production of the BP Oil spill in 2010. This would be great for a science class to listen to, only 2 hours long. There is some f-bombs in it.
Tina Miller
Oct 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Very dramatic and moody.
Linda
A lot of the dialogue was specifically the "facts" of the case. It didn't sound natural.

• The Golden Day
  • Meet the Sky
  • You
  • Blink and Caution
  • Tear Down This Wall: A City, a President, and the Speech that Ended the Cold War
  • The Go-Between
  • An Enemy of the People
  • Astray
  • Becoming Kareem: Growing Up On and Off the Court
  • The First Time She Drowned
  • The Epic Crush of Genie Lo (The Epic Crush of Genie Lo #1)
  • Olivia Twist