Dismiss Sorry, that person's shelf is private.

Start by marking “Open When: Letters to Lift Your Spirits” as Want to Read:
Open When: Letters to Lift Your Spirits

Open When: Letters to Lift Your Spirits

Happiness expert Karen Salmansohn presents a unique interactive book that invites readers to literally open letters of encouragement, wit, and wisdom whenever they need a boost.
Inspired by the trend of -open when- letters sweeping the nation, Instant Happy author Karen Salmansohn has created a bound collection of 12 notes for readers to flip open whenever they need a pep
Published March 7th 2017 by Ten Speed Press

To ask other readers questions about Open When, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Open When

Vicki
Mar 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: photography-art
When I opened this little book, I enjoyed the concept of individual letters for each mood that needed to be addressed. Thant being said, I wish it had been more to really invite a change. It was cute and bright with colors and images, but I thought perhaps it needed more envelopes.

I requested this from blogging for Books and I appreciated being sent the book to read and review. I wish I had found more meaning from the words. I do not think this would lift my spirits when I needed a lift.

Jessica
Mar 29, 2017 rated it it was ok
I like this idea, and I do feel it inspires people the way it is supposed, but it feels too simplistic. I have a real problem with the recommended price of U.S. $14.99/Can. $19.99. No way is this worth that. It reminds me of something you could grab at a dollar store.

The idea is to open the envelope shaped pages to reveal an inspirational "letter." It contains only 12 of these. I seriously went through the entire thing in less than five minutes. The design would be an awesome chilren book. My so
Mazzou B
Mar 14, 2017 rated it it was ok

This is a darling book sure to please any woman or girl. I was an avid letter-writer when I was a girl and the sight of an envelope still thrills me. The addition of something to read within an envelope is even more wonderful. This little book captures all the delight of handwritten, personalized letters and pairs it with inspirational topics to boost the spirit. The illustrations are unique and charming. The words are generally witty and uplifting. However, I was disappointed by the lack of dep
C.E. Hart
Mar 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian-nf

I adore this little book!

I’m an optimistic person, but even the most positive people have down days. And when that happens, Open when… the little book of letters is sure to lift your spirits.

The format is one of the neatest and most unique things about this book. The hardback cover bends an inch from the spine and opens to a dozen pages folded into envelope shaped treats.

The envelope letters are colorful and decorated with diverse illustrations, sharing inspirational messages to brighten shadow
Cariadne
Mar 08, 2017 rated it it was ok
I know you should never pick a book by its cover, but I thought this looked super cute. Kind of like the gift books I see on the Target shelf near the greeting cards.

Sadly, I didn't think the watercolors inside looked nearly as nice as the cover. While the paintings and lettering aren't terrible, I didn't find most of the art or typography to work much for me in either appearing clean, calm or inspiring. The few exceptions I liked where art and message made me sort of smile are Life Renovation
Michelle
Mar 14, 2017 rated it really liked it

This little book is a lot smaller than I expected. Not as many letters as I had hoped and honestly, not that uplifting. I like the overall idea. It would make for a cute small gift but as for truly boosting your mood, this isn't the book of letters for me.

" I received this from Blogging for Books for free. All opinions are my own."

Tiffany Giovino
Mar 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I wanted this little book because I thought it was the cutest little thing!! It also got here in perfect timing. I've been having a rough few weeks and this book brought up my spirits.

I didn't know what I was expecting for this book. But I do know that I wasn't expecting "letter-like" pages. They even have their own little envelopes!!

This book is super adorable. The illustrations are so freaking cute! My favorite one is the unicorn :)

I definitely recommend this book to anyone. If you've had a b
Wayne McCoy
Mar 11, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
'Open When' by Karen Salmansohn is a book of 12 letters that you can pop open during various life moments.

Each letter contains a time to open, like when life gets messy or after you've been hurt. They all have as few as a sentence, and in some cases some short paragraphs. There is design and typeset for each one, but I didn't find myself overly impressed. Some of the advice seems good, but some feels a bit mean-spirited. The advice for when someone's been mean is that "sometimes the first step t
Christopher Lawson
Feb 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
The first step to forgiveness is understanding that the other person is an IDIOT

OPEN WHEN: LETTERS TO LIFT YOUR SPIRITS is an unusual book. The impact of this little book goes beyond it's brief length. OPEN WHEN is actually a book of letters that you "open" as needed. Each letter is filled with encouraging, uplifting affirmations. Each letter is accompanied by cute artwork depicting an actual envelope to be opened.

I admit I was a little skeptical when I started reading the letters. I wondered if
Jamie Holloway
Mar 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Love!
Jessica Figueroa
Mar 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
This isn't the kind of book I normally review but again I've been trying to branch out into different books.

Honestly I loved this. You just can't help but smile or laugh when you read certain points and this is definitely a good pick me up when you are down or any other citations in life. This is pretty great to buy for yourself or for someone you care about, I actually have a person in mind that I would get this book for.
Britta
Mar 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book arrived on the perfect day! I have been having a really awful week honestly. I completely forgot that I requested this for review. As soon as I opened it I read through it and every letter I read fit perfectly (I read them all like I said I had an Awful week)
The Illustrations for all of the letters were really pretty. There are 12 letters overall, each promotes happiness and optimism. Great start for anyone wanting to get into "Open When" letters!
Book Chick (Tori)
Jan 31, 2017 rated it liked it
"Being different is a GOOD thing. It means you're BRAVE enough to be yourself." What a wonderful insight.

"Sometimes the first step to forgiveness is understanding that the other person is an IDIOT." YES!!!

This book was cute with some nice advice. It was underwhelming, but could be a quick "pick me up" if you just needed to smile.
Anusha Narasimhan
Feb 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs-giveaways
I received a free copy of this book from NetGalley. The review will be posted on the week of the book's release.
Amie's Book Reviews

I love that quote and it is oh-so-true.

OPEN WHEN is a cute book with whimsical graphics that will appeal to a wide variety of readers.

Karen Salmansohn is a "Happiness Expert" and she has created this book to help people boost their spirits.

This a collection of 25 notes that readers can open at the appropriate time; such as "Open When you're feeling stressed out" or "Open when you need courage." If rea
Donna Maguire
I really enjoyed this book. It is written by happiness expert Karen Salmansohn and the book is a unique interactive book that invite you, the reader to open letters of encouragement, wit and wisdom whenever you need a boost. I've not seen a book like this before and its definitely something I will be recommending to friends and family.
debbicat ☮~Traveling Sister
Love!
It's on NetGalley. I want to read more by this author!
Been asked not to review til closer to publication date so I will wait to add my full review.
I will buy this little book. It makes me feel happy.
GONZA
Oct 14, 2016 rated it liked it
As an happiness expert the author created this cute little book to help you find your way in the world. A nice present.

Come esperta di felicitá l'autrice ha creato questo piccolo libro per aiutarci a trovare la nostra strada nel mondo. Un regalo carino.

THANKS TO NETGALLEY FOR THE PREVIEW!
Heather
Sep 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
this is an adorable book & a quick read (it's not a novel). I love books like this that are well suited as a gift. I definitely wouldn't hesitate to send this to someone who needs a little bit of extra cheer in their lives. The imagery and the words were really touching.
Amanda
Sep 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Thanks to Netgalley I received an advanced reader copy. This is a cute short little book with illustrations and a few sentences to encourage you. It was super short and sweet.

I really like the idea of this kind of book but I would like to see something a bit longer as well in the future.
Aug 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
This little book would make a wonderful gift. It is full of both inspiring and silly text, complimented by beautiful watercolor illustrations. The letter format is fantastic.

I received an ARC from NetGalley.
Alyssa
Mar 12, 2018
Krystle Ramos
Mar 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: already-read
This book couldn't come in better timing. The day it came in I was having a really bad day and decided to go for a walk on my way out I checked the mail. To find my book had a arrive earlier than excepted. This book was a very cheer up book with tons of emotions including some I didn't know where consider emotions. I became very curious and decided to open all of them I loved the envelope idea it was a great idea. It gives a Suspense to curiosity.
M D.
Marie
Apr 11, 2017
Amanda
Mar 23, 2017 rated it it was ok
Do generic affirmations lift your spirits?

This is a TINY book. The "envelope" size is small than your usual envelope, and there's not much more than a paragraph...if that, in each "letter". And there are only 12 letters.

Honestly, the book made me sad, because it seems like the kind of things you would own only if there is no one around to encourage you. I mean, what's a generic paragraph from a stranger going to do for you that some good friends or close family couldn't do more?

I also was mixed
“Happiness is not a race. You're not running late to be somewhere. The purpose of life is to use your time on this planet to gather insights and grow. And it takes time to treasure-hunt those insights in all those dark hard-to-see places. It takes time to spurt growth. It takes time to become who you want to be- and even know who you want to be!

All that time you've been living through so far is time well spent. You've been very, very, very, busy living life- gaining insights- experiencing growth.”
0 likes