Start by marking “Geekerella” as Want to Read:
Geekerella

Geekerella

4.13  ·  Rating Details ·  6,185 Ratings  ·  1,890 Reviews
Anything can happen once upon a con…

When geek girl Elle Wittimer sees a cosplay contest sponsored by the producers of Starfield, she has to enter. First prize is an invitation to the ExcelsiCon Cosplay Ball and a meet-and-greet with the actor slated to play Federation Prince Carmindor in the reboot. Elle’s been scraping together tips from her gig at the Magic Pumpkin food
Published April 4th 2017 by Quirk Books

To ask other readers questions about Geekerella, please sign up.

Hailey (HaileyInBookland)
THIS WAS SUPER ADORABLE
I wasn't sure about it for some reason but I was pleasantly surprised! I didn't know before going into it but it's a very by the book Cinderella retelling and it worked so well in a modern setting. Just a quick, easy, feel good read.
*video review to come*
Melissa ♥ Dog Lover ♥ Martin
Jun 08, 2017 Melissa ♥ Dog Lover ♥ Martin rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, young-adult
How sweet was this =) ♥

When I first started reading the book I wasn't so sure and then it started to get to me.

It was a sweet little book about a fandom, some sweet friends, and a retelling of sorts.

Elle lives with her jerk of a stepmother and her two daughters. Elle and her father (when he was alive) were big fans of the show, Starfield. They were geek fans together. I love that. But living with the horrible stepmother is not the greatest thing now that Elle's father is dead.

Elle works on a
Cait (Paper Fury)
Oh this was super cute! And an excellent reason for me to stop judging covers because this waaaaay exceeded my expectations from that cover. Live and learn, Cait. LIVE AND LEARN. It was so absolutely heartfelt, that I just...I can't even?? It reminded me of Fangirl all squished with Kindred Spirits and Queens of Geek and I loved it. NERDOM APPRECIATION FOR THE WIN.

Now I assume the fandom they were cult following was like a Star Wars spin off? Maybe?? I wouldn't have a clue, not knowing anything
Melanie
ARC provided by the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

This was so surprisingly delightful, and made me so unexpectedly emotional. Everyone knows the story of Cinderella, but this modern day retelling feels and was actually able to evoke quite the feelings from me. This is a heartwarming story and if you consider yourself nerdy whatsoever, don't let this book pass you by.

I obviously feel confident saying I'm a pretty geeky individual:
Video Games? I've been raiding for o
Wendy Darling
So. Much. Fun.

This super cute Cinderella-goes-to-Geeky-Con story is probably closer to a 3.5 in terms of merit because I think it could have been even better (view spoiler), but it is such a cute and enjoyable read, it gets roun
Maram
I had high expectations for this and even though it hasn't been met, I still thoroughly enjoyed it :')

ᴍᴀʏʙᴇʟʟɪɴᴇ⚓
Buddy read with Skam trash

You would THINK that a book with an adorably epic cover, relatable geek plot, and is a retelling of a v famous story would STEAL my heart and win me over instantly. . .

. . . but you didn’t consider this book.

Things this Book Got Right:
- Girl friendship
- The beauty of geeking over something and blogging about it
- The calamity that is chores
- Diets
- Siblings who touch your stuff
- Geek cons

Things this book got WRONG
- Darien’s insured abs
- Yes, you read that co
Clau R.
Jun 17, 2017 Clau R. rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017
3.5 stars.

AWWW this was cute (it was SO CHEESY, tho). And I didn't believe the "falling in love" part, but I'll explain that in my wrap up :).
Lola  Reviewer
GEEKERELLA is a charming book very reminiscent of CINDER & ELLA. The similarities are evident, so if you’ve read that book, this one may not impress you, but still, it is a pleasant read.

It’s simply not my kind of read. Well I did enjoy it, because it’s close to impossible for me to dislike a fairytale retelling, though it’s definitely not the type of book I will want to reread in the future.

Because I just can’t believe in falling in love through the phone. There are certainly a lot of thin
Heather 'Bookables'
Mar 22, 2017 Heather 'Bookables' rated it really liked it
4.50/5 stars!
What an adorable book this was!!! Loved the nod to Cinderella & how the author Incorporated fangirls and fandoms in it! Loved it!
alexandra
GEEKERELLA was a combination of all my favorite things: anonymous messages, fairy-tale retellings, and fandoms. it was so fun to read and i loved everything. :''')
Stacee
I have always found books about cons and fandom intriguing. So of course I was going to read this asap.

I looooooved Elle. I love that she's struggling and smart and heartbroken and finds solace in fandom. There were so many relatable things here for me. Darien is uncertain and struggling in his own way and the relationship between them is perfection.

Yes, it follows the Cinderella story, but this is entirely unique. I thoroughly enjoyed how Ashley took those parts and made the story her own. Th
Amber Robertson
3.5 Stars

Okay, so, this wasn't the best book I've read. It was cheesy, it was cringe worthy but it was cute. I was happy for the main characters and despite the cliche story I did find myself grinning from ear to ear in some parts.

Full review? More like bullet point thoughts;

- basically A Cinderella Story
- the one with Hillary Duff
- that's the name right????
- but almost EXACT
- weird pumpkin food truck = the diner
- shitty step sisters and shitty step mum
- popular boy is secretly nerdy?
- G
Emer
My feelings while reading this book can best be explained by what this guy just went through:

OUCH!!!!

Oh gosh this was painful! To start with the writing felt very stilted to me. There was no easy flow. It read quite awkwardly I thought. The main characters in the book all had a sort of pantomime-esque vibe going on that also really didn't work for me. This was supposed to be a contemporary right?? Therefore, you'd think that some realism was required!!! And overall it was just an incredibly unim
Cait • A Page with a View
Apr 20, 2017 Cait • A Page with a View rated it really liked it
3.5 stars. I love Cinderella retellings and anything to do with cons & general nerdy fandoms, so this was a fun retelling.

Basic stuff: Elle's a huge Starfield fan and isn't too sure the famous teen actor Darien Freeman is the right choice for the role of Prince Carmindor in the reboot. She's super busy working in the Magic Pumpkin food truck and trying to deal with her demanding stepmother & stepsisters. Darien accidentally texts Elle during his preparation for ExcelsiCon and the two kee
Inge
Geekerella was every bit as geeky and fun as I hoped it would be. It feels like Cinder & Ella, except you don’t get your heart torn out of your chest. Although sometimes it felt a bit too stereotypical – both the two protagonists as well as the storyline – I had a good few hours reading it.

Built around a fandom about the science fiction show Starfield, this book is the perfect base for geeky readers. There are plenty of references to Star Trek, Lord of the Rings, and other fanbases for you t
Coreen ♥ (AsThePlotThickens)
Just-your-typical-fangirl-meets-fanboy-who-turns-out-to-be-the-lead-superstar-to-her-all-time-favorite-series-love-story.

It's relatable, geeky and chic
---
"This moment has become a train wreck I can’t look away from. It’s my entire fandom crashing into a burning, bubbling pit of despair."

LOL, we've all been there.
This book touched my heart in so many places I can't even imagine. It was like reading myself in a book [I've said that a thousand times already] and all the fandom dilemmas are here
Lauren
I just deleted my previous review because of two reasons. 1. It was a terrible review and 2. I'm not sure why but my thoughts towards this book keep changing and I don't know what to rate it. I'm not going to review at all because I can't remember my thoughts on this book because I read it almost two weeks ago. My rating kept changing so now I am just going to keep at 4. If I ever reread this book then I'll review it properly.
Veronique
May 21, 2017 Veronique rated it it was amazing
I loved this book with all my heart, it is the typical geekygirl meets geekyboy romance and it is incredible! Elle is such an amazing person, and Darion ... ooh boy can someone get me a Darion please I need one ASAP!

I loved how the storylines intertwine with each other and how magical the setting was. This Cinderella retelling is really one of the best books I read this year. I enjoyed it so so so much. Especially the geeky stuff in it, The lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, Vampire Diaries and a
Carlos
Mar 28, 2017 Carlos rated it liked it
3.5 stars it's the real rating for this book, I want to thank the folks at Netgalley for giving me an ARC of this book . I think this book's theme and setting was very appropriate and it was headed towards a good path, but I have a big thing against this book that I couldn't stomach, the main character Elle was so passive to the point of being pathetic almost all of the book (no spoilers) , every time her lack of self respect would show on the book I would cringe but then again I would think tha ...more
prag ⚓
i... never got past page 5, it's safe to say i'm never finishing this.

i hope i never see this book on my feed again, honestly i can't wait till we can blacklist books on here

buddy read with my favorite liar 💕 who am i kidding i'm the biggest ditcher
Kristy Mauna
This book was adorable and perfect - I LOVED IT!

"If you believe in yourself and have a few good friends, then you can do anything. You can be anything."

Two things that I will never get tired of: Cinderella retellings and books about fandoms. And Geekerella was BOTH - lucky me! This book was everything that I hoped it would be - beautiful friendships, adorable romance, family drama, great self-discovery, and the heart of the story showcased all the positivity that comes out of being a part of a
Mary H
Sep 12, 2016 Mary H rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Well that was utterly delightful. Geekerella is charming and sweet. Cinderella retellings are a dime a dozen, but Geekerella takes on Cindy with a refreshing and unique twist that really works and stands out from the pack with panache.

I adore the characters: sweet Elle, who is just hanging in there and trying to survive living with her overbearing stepmom and bratty stepsisters. Earnest Darien, who has been given the opportunity of a lifetime but doesn't quite know who he is. For both, the list
Carmen (Oh, the Book Feels!)  Seda
Well, it's 4am, and I wake up for work in 3 hours. This book exceeded my expectations, and I Am absolutely and entirely IN LOVE with this cute ass book!!! Omg!! I can't function bc I literally have read 90% of this book today. And I'm going to hate myself tomorrow. Er.. later today. BUT I HAVE NO REGRETS. //// "Look to the stars. Aim. Ignite. " (*insert a million heart eye emojis"
Gabry
Jun 24, 2017 Gabry rated it it was amazing
Assolutamente 5 stelle ed anche di più!

Il libro che ogni Fangirl e fanboy dovrebbe leggere, dalla prima all'ultima pagina, persino i ringraziamenti! Ho amato TUTTO <3
Sofii♡ (A Book. A Thought.)
“Look to the stars. Aim. Ignite.”

description

OH guys, what a sweet reading! .I love when these things happen to me, I felt that I would love this book and it was so !, YAY !

5/5 Stars

You can find this one and more reviews on my blog A Book. A Thought.

This is a Cinderella re-telling , which is my favorite fairy tale, so I was very excited about it, but when I heard it was about a girl who was into a fandom of a sci-fi series, then I thought Doctor Who immediately and I knew that it would make me remember
nick

description

Geekerella has been on my radar because of the praise it has been getting from my Goodreads friends. Normally, I’m not one for famous-people-romances, but it was becoming harder and harder for me to dismiss the praise, so I decided to give it a go. And OMG. I’m so so thrilled I decided to read it because this book made my shipper heart indescribably happy. It’s such a sweet Cinderella retelling, which manages to not only be fresh, but memorable in every way.

I honestly thought every aspect of Gee
Cookie
This book was a giiiiiift. I didn't expect to like this as much as I did but it was so full of life--vibrant and real characters. It was full of witty dialogue and nerdy references and finding out that you are not no one. As a person who's in a lot of fandoms--both books wise, TV wise, and movies wise--this book was a perfect little read. AND it was a Cinderella retelling!

Danielle "Elle" Wittimer works at a vegan food truck in Charleston. When her dad passed away, so did her fan-fic writing days
Emily
Oct 20, 2016 Emily rated it it was amazing
This book is so fun!! If you like the movie A Cinderella Story (and let's be honest, you do), you'll love this nerdier Cinderella retelling that has just as much heart and humor!
Kirsti (Melbourne on my mind)
Trigger warnings: dead parents, absent parents, controlling parents. I think that's all?? I think??? It's a retelling of Cinderella. Everything that applies there applies here.

I was slightly hesitant going into this book because, like, I am NOT a fan of fairytales. At all. I never have been, even as a kid. So I was afraid that this would be TOO similar to Cinderella and that as as result, I'd be bored shitless.

HOWEVER.

This was a delight. It's the kind of YA book that could be read by year 7 a
Ashley Poston’s is a part-time author and full-time fangirl. She was born in rural South Carolina, where you can see the stars impossibly well...

Tweet her at @ashposton and read her inner-most rambles at www.ashposton.com.
More about Ashley Poston...

“Look to the stars. Aim. Ignite.” 46 likes
“I'm half of my father. Half of my hero. And I am half of my mother. Half soft sighs and half sharp edges. And if they can be Carmindor and Amara--then somewhere in my blood and bones I can be too. I'm the lost princess. I'm the villain of my story, and the hero. Part of my mom and part of my dad. I am a fact of the universe. The Possible and the Impossible. I am not no one. I am my parents' daughter, and then I realize--I realize that in this universe they're alive too. They're alive through me. Fashioning my hands into a pistol, I point it at the ceiling, lifting my chin, raising my eyes against the blinding stage lights, and I ignite the stars.” 24 likes