Start by marking “That First Kiss (Night Calls #2)” as Want to Read:
That First Kiss (Night Calls #2)

That First Kiss

(Night Calls #2)

Mercurial and charming, Tate Larson is a rising author and playboy who has a different woman on his arm every night of the week. Focused on his work, Tate has no plans to settle down any time soon. That is until he meets his pretty new assistant, Piper Donovan. Desperate to escape the promise of backwater living, Piper ditched her Alabama hometown and never looked back. Th ...more
Published June 12th 2016 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about That First Kiss, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about That First Kiss

Lillian ☁ Cloud 9 Books ☁
***** 3.5 Stars *****

Can be read as a standalone

The beginning of That First Kiss is so hot. Tate and Piper see each other at a busy club, and they finish their night in a public restroom. They don't exchange numbers or talk about anything personal. The entire night is just one sexy mystery.

Unfortunately, the mystery comes to an end when Piper starts her new job as Tate's assistant.

Tate is bossy, demanding, and sometimes irrational. They try to keep things professional, but their attraction is i
Sybil aka Lala
Jun 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
HOT DAMN! WHAT A RIDE!!

THIS BOOK WAS SO MUCH FUCKING FUN I FEEL LIKE I NEED TO WRITE THIS REVIEW IN ALL CAPS IN ORDER TO CONVEY MY EXCITEMENT! But I won’t. Because that is annoying and since I will no doubt be annoying you with my incessant gushing over this book and its author, I’ll let that one go.

Now, onto the gushing…

First gushing over the author. I have read books by this author before. Some I have loved and some I have loved a little less but one thing has always remained true: it is fucki
Heather

This book starts out with a serious BANG!

Piper and Tate have a brief but explosive encounter in the ladies room at a night club. Piper and Tate are virtual strangers and neither ever plans to encounter the other again. Fate has another plan. Piper's new job leads her to her mystery man. She soon discovers the reason he has not been able to keep an assistant for more than a few weeks tops. He is a complete jackass.

Tate is a mercurial writer with a short temper. He is immediately irritated that Pi
Sara
Rating: 4.5 stars

I am a person who gets on a genre kick. I find one that I fall in love with and immerse myself in it completely. It’s hard to come out of with my OCD but when a book comes along that takes me out of that genre and has me up until the wee hours of the morning to finish it. I dare say it’s a damn good book. I have said it before; I don’t stay up that late for just any book, even though it’s fun to tease my husband that I am up with another man. Anyway…

That First Kiss was a breath
Michelle
Jun 29, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 Shake. You. Until. You. Shut-up. And. Listen. To. Me. Stars!
Copy received in exchange for an honest review.

Tate and Piper's story starts of with one hell of a bang.

Piper is in desperate need of a job in order to avoid having to move back home. But when she lands a job that could be the answers to all her prayers she suddenly realizes that it is the answer to all her nightmares and fantasies as well. Tate is the arrogant, pushy and down-right asshole that can't seem to keep an assistant for a
Hazel *Craves the Angst Reviews*
May 30, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: adult, contemporary - romance readers
Find This and Other Reviews At Craves The Angst.

I was kindly provided this eARC from the author in exchange for an honest review.

4.5 Sexy, Steamy, Salacious Stars!
Hold Onto Your Panties Ladies, Tate Is On The Prowl!

The Rundown:
Tate is a capricious writer with a trust issues, whose past has taught him those who believe in love, commitment and monogamy are destined to fail. Those things are myths people tell themselves to trap them in a doomed relationship. He’s a total alpha male who wants
J
Sep 27, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: blog-tour
* This is the second book in the Night Calls Series, however can be read alone. After reading That First Kiss I will definitely read Stranded book # 1 in the series.

Getting her life on track is Piper Donovan main focus, for the last 2 years she has avoided going home, and now with funds low she is desperate. When she lands herself a new job at Bookish Temptations, she heads out with the girls for a celebration.
When she comes face to face with one sexy as hell man she finds herself letting a
Fab Fun & Tantalizing Reads
That first kiss

This book was super fun. It wasn't overly angsty with bucket loads of emotional baggage. It had a great & delicious recipe and t'was exactly what the doctor ordered. I was hooked right from that instant attraction across the room & then heading in and getting down and dirty in the public bathroom.

The last thing Piper expects when she shows up for her new job on Monday is to come face to face with the guy who rocked her world in the club bathroom, and the new object of her fantasies. That
Anna
Jun 15, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
Piper Donovan is thrilled to land a job that will keep her living in the city she loves and prevent her from having to go back to a life she doesn't want in rural Alabama. While out celebrating her new job with friends she has a very intense encounter with a man she meets at the club. She starts her new job only to realize that the incredibly challenging frustrating man she is now the assistant to is the same man she hooked up with at the club.

Tate is an author who is very demanding and has cau
Breezy *Lover of all things Alpha Male*
Cherry Lemonade
Jun 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh my! This book almost immediately heats up. A great book written by one of my new favorite authors!

J.C Valentine tears up the sheets with this book! With the utterly charming, headstrong, determined Piper and the demanding, cold, sexy Tate the characters are a quite the match. It’s interesting to see their characters develop a relationship no matter how hard they try fighting it. Well, Piper does anyway. Piper is determined not to screw up her new job, she doesn’t want to land back in small to
Kate
Sep 24, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this story has been done before. The heroine meets a hot guy in a bar right before she starts a new job and bangs him (this time in a bathroom and yes, the sex is hot!). When she goes to work, oops! The hot guy is her boss. It's not a new story, but JC Valentine did it really well!

Tate is an asshole with a capital A. Honestly, I was never really sure that I liked him. Especially the way he treated my lovely Thomas. I loved him! He redeemed himself in the end, but it was a rough ride!

Piper is t
BBMoreB ~
Jul 28, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
This author’s writing style is descriptive, adventurous and enlightening. Her ability to create and portray characters with realistic reactions is unblemished. This well-paced story can change direction in an instant without leaving the reader feeling lost. She allows the characters emotions to naturally progress the story – often exposing their vulnerabilities.
Only now she was stuck in a darkened corner while her boss and former one-night stand tried to hook up with anything with a pussy.
“I
Connie
Jul 04, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received a free copy from the author in exchange for an honest review. I gave this book 3 Stars. I enjoyed reading this book, however, I don't think this story is anything special. A writer, Tate Larson, met his assistant, Piper Donovan, and had sex with her in a bathroom of a club before she became his assistant. When she became his assistant, he was mean to her but she still fell for him. I like the fact that Piper is a strong character but she has blinders on when it comes to Tate. This fru ...more
figuranta❤️addicted❤️to❤️books❤️

Wow wot an amazing book this was. I loved it. Thank you for giving me the chance to be one of teh first to read it.

Full review coming soon

ARC provided by author in exchange for a honest review
Karina
Jul 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arr-funsies
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review

Verdict: 4 scorching stars!

"A person could have sex with any number of random people and have it remain a completely superficial function of life, but the moment they chose to seal their lips with another, the soul deep, heart afflicting connection would be made and there would be no turning back." -Tate Larson

I chose to read & review this book because it seemed a perfect candidate to feed my growing addiction for hot assholian
Chu
Sep 28, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review Originally Posted at: Book Freak

Rating: 4.5 Stars

They did it fast...

They did it slow...
some_text

Tate Larson and Piper Donovan will leave you wanting and panting....
some_text

First time they met – it was a total explosion. Contrary to the pics – the first time they did it wasn’t traditional. It was on a bar – it was hot, dirty, mindless sex. They didn’t share names, address or trade numbers. After they were done, they went into their separate ways, pretending it was nothing.

The act had consumed their t
Linda
May 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of romance and contemporary romance
ARC courtesy of the author and publicist for honest review.

Great book difficult to put down. Thank you Ms Valentine for the arc of this book and I can not wait to see the next one you have in store for the readers!

Ms Valentine , gives us two incredible strong willed, opinionated , driven characters whose interaction together is incredible and sexually charged!

The story line opens on Piper Donavan, a young women who has moved to the big city from small town Alabama to escape small town life and a
❤️ Diana ❤️
Jul 05, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: r4r
I went back and forth between 3 stars and 4 stars so I'm splitting the difference with 3.5 stars.......

I enjoyed this book I really did. Piper is trying to make it on her own in Chicago and gets hired to be an assistant to a hard to work for author. So she goes our with her girls to celebrate her new job. She meets a hot guy, has incredible hot sex in the bathroom, but before they part, they share a kiss, a First Kiss, and they both feel something special in that kiss. Well low in behold when sh
Skye Burling-Briggs
***RRC provided in exchange for an honest review***

Wow! Such a combination of emotions!!
I loved that this wasn't the normal romance story. It had a depth that I truly loved.
Starting with a BANG! ( quite literally!) and it didn't stop. I loved Tate and I hated him, but overall I believed him, and I think that really says something for the authors ability to weave this beautiful story!
My only wish, is that he got his crap together sooner! But boy oh boy when he put the charm on *swoon*

"What are
Tee loves Kyle Jacobson
How to start this review is the craziest thing ever. After reading That First Kiss I was in serious need of some ice cubes! The hotness and sexiness and the dam banter in this book had me laughing so hard. Everyone who knows me knows I love a smart fouled mouth moody mofo man. Lord I loved the banter back and forth and I love how they meet. The clubs always bring out the wild in us but this was way beyond wild!

Piper needed to change her life and she needed a change in scenery so she did just tha
Jonel
Jul 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a very captivating novel that revolves around a will they/won’t they relationship. Valentine pulled me in right from the very beginning and didn’t let me go until the fat lady sang.

Valentine is the type of writer who can pick any situation and make you see the possibilities behind it. Although a very descriptive writer, she uses each word towards a greater goal. Nothing is wasted on irrelevant details and everything combines for a seamless whole. The world that she has created with thi
Kari Kaz
Jun 29, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cc, contemporary
This is the story of Tate and Piper, who meet at a night-club, share a quickie & a poignant kiss in a public bathroom, and then go their separate ways. Or not.

description

It turns out that Tate is Piper’s new boss, and the following Monday they officially “meet” for the first time.

The story is less angsty than I had expected. Some parts are very funny and Piper’s friend Sheila is a hoot. Tate starts off being a jerk, and for most of the book I seriously wondered what Piper possibly liked about him (besi
Emily
Arrogant author and playboy Tate Larson, has a love them and leave them approach. He feeds of the attraction and makes sure each woman is left with pleasure, but he has a hard and fast rule, never kiss them. Seeing Piper Donovan in the club, Tate is caught off guard, she is easily the most beautiful woman he has ever seen. He wants a touch, just a moment, but he is unprepared for the passionate, if brief, sexual encounter they share which ends in a kiss.

Imagine the look on Tate's face when he me
Vee girl
****I was given the book in exchange for my Honest Review****

I only gave this book a 3 star only based on some issues I had with how characters were portrayed. Tate was a true jerk and very unlikeable person from start into 80% of the book, this was a total turn off. I eventually wanna Cheer for Tate but found it so hard to do this, yes, he had reasons for his bad behavior due to some past issues. But seriously, I do not feel it was a good enough excuse to explain his being an asshole to Piper!
Louise BookbestiesUK
Mehhhh, where to begin?

Basically Piper is out celebrating her new job where she meets a hot stranger and bangs him in the bogs.

Come Monday she starts work at her new job being told that the writer she will be an assistant for is a complete prick....surprise surprise its the bloke she bonked in the lavvy!

Tate doesnt want her to work for him so basically treats her like shit, she stands up for herself and tries to earn his respect. Along the line they realise they have feelings for each other b
*Marsha,Marsha,Marsha* It's always Marsha
Really enjoyed

4 star sweet ride with feisty main characters. I loved Pipers personality and Tate's awesomeness. They were hilarious sweet and so darn sexy. I highly recommend this sweet read for.some laughs and a whole lot of lovin.

**Wrote this on my phone and so my review was Sooo short! Wanted to add a bit more. The way these two meet is out of sight HOT HOT HOT. I mean who could EVER go to a club bathroom again. I adored the back and forth dialogue between these two. Piper learned NOT to take
Brenda
Jun 26, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
~ Cariad ~
Apr 23, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 smoldering, moody Alpha packed stars!

God I love a moody, angsty, Alpha male and Tate is exactly that!
I also love a feisty, no-shit type of heroine and Pippa fits the bill.

The series is developing nicely. I'm so pleased that J.C. kept her promise to write full length books following the juicy hot novella Stranded(which I loved).

The books are companion reads with no cliffy to worry about.
Poppy and Felix from book one fit smoothly into this one and the story has a good flow.

I read it in a day
Michelle Bowman  / We Love Kink .com
WOW! This is my first time reading this author and I have to say that I am blown away. This book was amazing! J.C. Valentine has written a fantastic book that kept my attention throughout the entire read. The storyline and character growth were perfect. Piper and Tate were great characters. Piper was the ever efficient assistant and Tate was the emotionally eccentric author. One would think that the “boss and his assistant” storyline has been written many times but not this way. This was differe ...more
Making Connections: 1312. - THAT FIRST KISS by J.C. Valentine 50 120 Aug 16, 2013 04:09AM
Guilty Pleasures: {ENDED} That First Kiss Blog Tour & GIVEAWAY! 1 2 Jun 20, 2013 05:10PM
Signed Paperbacks! 1 5 Jun 12, 2013 12:15PM
Pre-Order for KOBO Users 1 3 Jun 06, 2013 10:59AM
Reviewers United: Any Bloggers Interested in Joining the That First Kiss Release Day Launch? 9 27 Jun 06, 2013 04:48AM
Giveaways 1 3 May 26, 2013 10:44AM
  • How Not to be Seduced by Billionaires (How Not to be Seduced by Billionaires, #1-3)
  • Wicked Allure
  • A Veil of Glass and Rain
  • Modern Arrangements: Complete Trilogy (Modern Arrangements, #1-3)
  • Challenging Carter (The Strip, #3)
  • Delayed Delivery (Pursuit, #2.5)
  • Sleeves
  • Bride By Design: Flights of Fancy (Taken By The Billionaire, #1)
  • Eye of Heaven
  • Seduce (Beautiful Rose, #1)
  • Bare Assets
  • Bad Girlfriend (First and Last, #4)
  • Insufferable Proximity 2 (Insufferable Proximity, #2)
  • Derailed (Seduced by the Park Avenue Billionaire, #2)
  • Make Me Crazy (Loco, Texas, #2)
  • False Lines (Blurred Lines, #7)
  • Winning Back Ryan
  • Seductive Shadows (Shadows, #1)
J.C. Valentine is the USA Today and International bestselling author of the Night Calls and Wayward Fighters Series and the Forbidden Trilogy. Her vivid imagination and love of words and romance had her penning her own romance stories from an early age, which, despite being poorly edited and written longhand, she forced friends and family members to read. No, she isn't sorry.

J.C. lives in the Nort

Night Calls (5 books)
  • Stranded (Night Calls, #1)
  • Surrender to Love (Night Calls, #3)
  • Trust (Night Calls #3.5)
  • Taming Sheila (Night Calls, #4)
“A brief hush fell over the table when the guy from the bar approached. After he finished depositing their drinks in the center of the table, Lynn jumped on the opportunity to flirt, winking and smiling prettily at him. “Thanks, cowboy.”
“Cowboy?” Reaching for her appletini, Piper laughed.
Lynn shrugged. “When I picture him in my bed, I see a Stetson and a saddle.”
Something well-known among their group, ever since she watched John Travolta in Urban Cowboy, she was on a mission to secure herself her very own cowboy.
“I bet you see a branding iron too,” Jules snickered.
Lynn’s thoughtful gaze trailed after him as the bartender returned to making drinks.”
11 likes