Jump to ratings and reviews

InCryptid #6

Magic for Nothing

Improbable, adjective:
1. Not very likely to happen; not probable.
2. Probably not a very good idea anyway.
3. See also “bad plan.”

As the youngest of the three Price children, Antimony is used to people not expecting much from her. She’s been happy playing roller derby and hanging out with her cousins, leaving the globe-trotting to her older siblings while she stays at home and tries to decide what she wants to do with her life. She always knew that one day, things would have to change. She didn’t think they’d change so fast.

Annie’s expectations keep getting shattered. She didn’t expect Verity to declare war on the Covenant of St. George on live television. She didn’t expect the Covenant to take her sister’s threat seriously. And she definitely didn’t expect to be packed off to London to infiltrate the Covenant from the inside…but as the only Price in her generation without a strong resemblance to the rest of the family, she’s the perfect choice to play spy. They need to know what’s coming. Their lives may depend on it.

But Annie has some secrets of her own, like the fact that she’s started setting things on fire when she touches them, and has no idea how to control it. Now she’s headed halfway around the world, into the den of the enemy, where blowing her cover could get her killed. She’s pretty sure things can’t get much worse.

Antimony Price is about to learn just how wrong it’s possible for one cryptozoologist to be.

360 pages, Kindle Edition

First published March 7, 2017

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Seanan McGuire

471 books15k followers
Hi! I'm Seanan McGuire, author of the Toby Daye series (Rosemary and Rue, A Local Habitation, An Artificial Night, Late Eclipses), as well as a lot of other things. I'm also Mira Grant (www.miragrant.com), author of Feed and Deadline.

Born and raised in Northern California, I fear weather and am remarkably laid-back about rattlesnakes. I watch too many horror movies, read too many comic books, and share my house with two monsters in feline form, Lilly and Alice (Siamese and Maine Coon).

I do not check this inbox. Please don't send me messages through Goodreads; they won't be answered. I don't want to have to delete this account. :(

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
71 (1%)
1 star
17 (<1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 526 reviews
Profile Image for carol..
1,515 reviews7,710 followers
October 20, 2017
Magic for Nothing, whether intended or not, has the plot of a classic spy caper: an agent belonging to Group One needs to infiltrate Group Two. In the context of the Incryptid series, it is a strategy that makes little sense. In the five preceding books, readers have been told a great deal about the nefarious Covenant, and about the Price strategy of living in vigilant secrecy under concealed identities. The family is reacting to the shocking events of book five, Chaos Choreography, and their brilliant plan is a Cold-War era maneuver based on information from 'tradition' and from Verity's husband, Dominic, who left the Covenant in book two and was literally an orphan. Let me repeat: their grand plan is to infiltrate an organization based on 'lore' and the knowledge of one person, after "two to four" generations of aggressive hiding.

description

Not only is it an abrupt reversal in the Incryptid storyline, it is incredibly stupid. What about using the resources of, oh, I don't know, say the entire magical Incrypid community who has a lot to lose if the Prices are wiped out? There's also ordinary information gathering resources like GPS tracking, spyware, plain stalking, etc. But whatever. McGuire has a plot to move along, so let's just accept the premise that a group is willing to change "two to four" generations of behavior overnight.

What really became a sticking point for me was the writing. We're on book five in a series; presumably most people aren't grabbing it for the first time. If they do, well, it's fair to weave in some backstory, and as a series reader, I've come to expect it. But McGuire is incredibly unskillful resorting to her main character repeatedly explaining these things to herself.

She does this not once, but repetitively, particularly in regards to the Covenant:

Putting behind spoiler for those that want to read, although it isn't particularly spoilish:

Mind you, this is all in the pre-infiltration. We get a lot more of her thinking about "the Covenant this" and "the Covenant that" once she actually meets up with them and has dinner with them while they hint at killing her.

Oh, I know: you think I'm exaggerating. No, really--check this example out:

Then there's the Aeslin mouse Antimony smuggled in with her. Despite concealment in her backpack with 'days of supplies,' the Covenant doesn't find it when they search Antimony's things. Later, the mouse and Antimony have whispered conversation, in the same room as her Covenant roommate/minder/antagonist while her room mate was sleeping. But it's okay, because her roommate's snores were regular and loud, so it must be safe.

description

You never see that plot in James Bond. There certainly aren't any kind of special devices that might be able to record picture and sound.

Honestly, the infiltration plot was stupid. The book relies on a lot of other material to keep it going, including a poltergeist in chapter one that has nothing to do with the plot, and roller derby practice in chapter two. I was reaching a quit point around page forty when McGuire suddenly followed up on hints she had thrown out earlier, and had a sort-of confrontation between sisters Verity and Antimony. Having a somewhat challenged relationship with my own sister, I was intrigued to see where it would go, but apparently a quick hug and apology solves everything (thanks for tuning in to this week's After School Special).

She really needs an editor.
Unbelievably logic-impaired within its own world, and with almost every page filled with telling, it wasn't worth my time. I skipped ahead, was genuinely shocked at the ending--because it again messes with the series' premise, not because it was good--and decided it really wasn't worth my time.

description
Profile Image for Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ .
1,257 reviews8,675 followers
March 15, 2017
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

I've been looking forward to getting Antimony's POV in a full-length InCryptid novel since I read Blocked on McGuire's website. If you haven't read Blocked (or any of the other short stories from her or Elsie's POV), you probably don't know what to expect.

Alex and Verity paint the youngest Price sibling in a somewhat unflattering light, and on the few occasions she shows up in their books, Antimony reinforces that impression.

BUT.

There are two sides to every story.

And while Antimony begins MAGIC FOR NOTHING with a chip on her shoulder the size of an Aeslin mice colony, by the end . . . She's grown. And regardless of whether or not you think she needs an attitude adjustment, she is willing to sacrifice in ways that can't help but earn your respect.

So have patience with her.

Dollface is only twenty-two years old after all, and she is being sent into the belly of the beast b/c Verity wanted to be a dancer.

Besides . . . As someone with a preference for Rogue or Hunter-type avatars in MMORPG, I can a appreciate a girl who likes to deal with physical danger from a distance, and if that involves explosives and pit traps, so much the better. #teamantimony

That being said, I'm not sure I'm totally down with <------seriously, DO NOT read that until you've read the book for yourself or if you have no intention of reading it.

Suffice it to say that apparently I have limits, and I met mine in Sam. *tries not to to judge* *fails miserably* *doesn't know whether or not I'm sorry*

As for the actual plot, it's pretty well outlined in the blurb: Antimony infiltrates the Covenant to ascertain their future plans for the Price family, which is dangerous enough by itself, but she's also dealing with her recently manifested (and therefore uncontrollable) magic.

*EDVARD MUNCH FACE*

And if you think that's scary, just wait until you meet Leo . . .

SO. If you haven't already figured it out from my previous reviews, I love this series, and if you like urban fantasy, I think you should read it too. We're six books in, and there's yet to be a stinker. *whispers* That's kind of a big deal. Highly recommended.

Jessica Signature
Profile Image for Robin (Bridge Four).
1,588 reviews1,466 followers
March 26, 2018
4.25 . “HAIL THE RETURN OF THE PRECISE PRIESTESS! HAIL THE COMING OF THE VERY LARGE MONKEY!” Stars

When I started this book I was a little afraid that I was going to hate it. No offense to Seanen McGuire but Animony was a total brat and I didn’t know if I could handle her as the main PoV for an entire book. Thankfully she grows up a little along the way and goes from the baby of the family who was digging pit traps against her siblings to someone how learns how to make some sacrifices that are not easy along the way.

Bratty Antimony is the worst. She thinks that Verity is completely selfish and blames her for the predicament her family is in now that the Covenant of St. George knows the Price family is still alive. She acts like the whole world is against her and that everyone is doing everything wrong. At the beginning she was mean to absolutely everybody in a youngest child sort of way. Even when they try to give her an important mission like the kind she has been dying to get forever she throws it back in their faces.
“So wait, you got your heir and your spare, and they’re both doing a dandy job of lining up the next generation, since Verity’s married and Alex is about to be, so I’m extraneous to needs? Is that what’s going on here?”

I had had about enough of her but alas we have a wait a little bit longer for her to clue into life not always giving you the choices you want and that it is okay to want things for yourself as well as wanting to save the entire cryptid world and your family. It was great to see Antimony get some perspective into the choices that her older siblings have already made for themselves.

Some of the best parts of this book are seeing the Covenant of St George from the inside. I mean they are crazy and their priorities are a bit screwed but not all of them are bad people. Seeing how they view the traitorous Price family and the discovery that they are still alive and working in the United States….well let’s just say perspective is everything and the Price/Healy’s are not that far away from the Covenant in a lot of ways.
It was disturbingly close to the way we’d always looked at things. It bore a striking resemblance to my family’s expectation that one day, you’d go on a job and come back with a fiancé, someone who’d seen how bad things could get, someone who would understand. And of course we’d raise our children with smiles on their faces and knives behind their backs, because the Covenant was out there, lurking, a faceless, amorphous monster in the night. We had to be prepared to defend what was ours.

But the moment that I really perked up and started to super enjoy the story was when Verity joined the Circus. Okay it isn’t a circus it is a travelling carnival but still that is when the real fun begins and she starts so become more likable overall because again perspective is everything and maybe now she can see some of the real world difficulties that her siblings had to face and why they made the choices they did. Plus she has her Aeslin mouse Mindy with her to remind her the ways of her ancestors.
“Because of the Work You Do, or because of the Work You Want?”
Aeslin mice are always truthful, but not always perfectly literal. I smiled at her, sadly. “A little of both, with a side order of I think I really like a guy, and I can’t possibly have him, because he’s part of the work I want, and the work I’m doing is just going to put him in danger.”
“Is it not tradition to travel to carnivals and fall in love under false pretenses? Did not the Violent Priestess ride a white horse and love the God of Unexpected Situations in a place very much like this one?”

And that my friends is just one reason why the Aeslin Mice are one of my favorite things in this series. But there is also a huge spider lady, more sentient snake things and a monkey man to round out the non-human characters in the mix.

Antimony really grew on me and by the end I definitely liked her. Not as much as Verity who is still my favorite Price besides Alice that is. This story was very captivating and at the end I was left wondering many things about the Covenant of St. George and the direction they might take in the future. I’m also a little worried about Antimony and the sacrifice she has to make…at least for right now.

This series continues to be one of the UF favorites just because of the different and strange creatures in it and the exciting plot lines and pop culture dialogue. I even really liked the love interest in this one. I know that it won’t be everyone’s cup-o-tea and some might find some issues with it but because of the world we are in I totally accept and like it. Now to see if it will continue on into the next book.

As much as I like all of the stories in the Incryptid world the one I’m most waiting for is Alice and Thomas. If they finally get a reunion after so long apart. Sarah and Artie would also be pretty great too but Alice is probably my favorite character of the entire series so far and she has really only had a cameo or two in a few books. Hopefully SM has a story for them in her plans as well.

Read with the Wednesday UF group at

description
Profile Image for Steven.
1,051 reviews383 followers
March 9, 2017
Seanan McGuire, you rock my socks. I dunno whether this review should be a love letter to your writing skills or a letter of supplication, begging for beta reading opportunities, friendship (like really, let's be BFFs and hang out every day), and a chance to be an Aeslin Mouse to your Awesomesauce Priestess.

This series has had a few POV changes. Each time, I've been wary for some reason, and then pleasantly appreciative at the development and growth of the world that these POV changes bring. This one was no exception. I wasn't sure I'd like Antimony, and trust me, I didn't like everything she said or did, but I LOVED her POV. She's strong, stubborn, a fighter, and hilarious. And damn, is she willing to make sacrifices for the ones she cares about. SERIOUS sacrifices.

This book emotionally destroyed me, and I loved every second of that destruction. Up until this book, I was more a fan of her October Daye series. Don't get me wrong, I loved Incryptid, but it just wasn't on the same level as Toby... but this installment seriously kicked it up a few notches, changed the stakes of the game even farther, and added some dark and powerful twists. It's now tied with Toby for me, at the very least. We will see how she cleans up the mess she made for our Cryptozoologist family in this installment in the next, and then I'll make a judgment call. But since it's Seanan, I have every faith she will pull off whatever she has in mind with gusto and emotion.

It's going to be a long year. Time to hit the blogging hard so I can make myself Berkeley-worthy at some point in order to get an ARC!

PRE-REVIEW/POST-FINISH THOUGHTS:
I'll try to write a review when I'm able to process.

*weeps*

And having to wait a year is going to kill me. I've never been more upset to wait for the next installment for ANY series than I am right now. #emotionallydestroyed
Profile Image for Bradley.
Author 5 books3,910 followers
April 30, 2017
I may be incurring the wrath of fanboys and fangirls out there, but I think I like the 6th book better than all the other previous Incryptid books by McGuire. :)

Truly, it's just the right shape and mass of corny plotlines, that are soooo unbelievable, mind you, that still takes off as a yet another character novel with intrigue and spying and CIRCUS! Featuring yet another member of the Price family!

And yes, it's romance and the circus. It's true... so true... the monkey and the roller-derby girl, the guilt for bringing the Enemy to the doorstep of the innocent beasties as well as the bad, dual camp infiltrations, and.... HOT KNIVES ON THE TRAPEZE! WoooT!

And of course, the mice always seem to steal the show. :)

Corny? All of it? Yes. But damn if I didn't have the time of my life. :) I guess I *am* a townie.

Profile Image for Choko.
1,178 reviews2,568 followers
February 26, 2018
*** 3.75 ***

“The history of the human race has been one long quest to find, novel things and then kill, eat, or enslave them. There's a reason the aliens haven't made an appearance yet, is what I'm saying.”

This is the sixth book in a very beloved series and I was so happy to have it and read it. After all, I have been waiting for the youngest Price girl to show us what she's got. Antimony is a true Price and Healy alright, she just didn't have a very good plot to show us her true colors. I have to say, this is my least favorite of all the books, which still doesn't make it a bad book. It just reads as the least thought-out one. There were so many plot-holes and such unusual need for accepting things that make no sense, that is just felt rushed and a bit sloppy. However, we had our Aislin Mice and they always deserve at least a star and a half of their own, because they are the best magical animals on page ever created!!! But even their adorableness did not bail the whole book out. The premise just made no sense and it felt very forced.

"...“Every time I think my family has plumbed the depths of stupidity, somebody goes and finds a goddamn shovel.” —Jane Harrington-Price”..."

Verity exposed the family in front of the world at the end of book five and now the Price-Healy clan decides they need to know what their mortal enemy, the Covenant of St. George know and are planning to do about it. They need an agent on the inside, but all look too much alike and would be easily recognizable, except Antimony. She is now 22 years old and is still treated as the youngest child that she is. She wants to prove herself, but being sent-off to spy on the Covenant all the way in England on her own with just one brave Aislin Mouse to keep the Holy Records, she feels as if they are sacrificing her by throwing her to the wolves, her being expandable and all. Yes, despite being 22, Annie is a bit of a brat and she is very pissed with the relatives, but most of all with her older sister, Verity, for being a spoiled brat and knowingly putting the family safety in danger, just so she can selfishly pursue her dream of dancing... She even calls her the spoiled Criptozoologist Barbie!!!

She does start off bratty and annoyingly naive, but she does grow through the story, coming to recognize that her sister was put in a situation where there were no good choices, just the best one of many bad ones. She herself is faced with such perilous decision which would change hers, the family's and her new Carnival friends lives for ever. If you want to know more about the plot and action, you guys have to read it yourselves:)

"...“When someone judges you for something you can’t help, try to forgive them. They don’t understand. And if they keep doing it, knock their fucking teeth in.”..."

I still love the world SM has created and it all feels so real and plausible! I still want a gang of Aislin Mice to wake me up in the morning by hailing the potential of the new and beautiful day, no matter how dire the situation might be. I still want to know all about the different races of sups living around us and the i still hold to the strong belief that the core of the Price-Healy clan's creed is the right way to go. I am not very impressed with Antimony, but I love the family as a unit and I can't wait to get to the next volume of the adventures and misgivings they always have to deal with. Even a not very good Seanan McGuire book is still more entertaining than many best books of other currently popular authors, so you will not be wasting your time reading this one. And if you have not started this series yet, what are you waiting for??? This series is a ton of fun!!! Go get it!

"...“It’s better to act than it is to react. Acting gets you in trouble. Reacting all too frequently gets you dead.”..."

Now I wish you all Happy Reading and many more wonderful books to come!!!
Profile Image for Denisa.
1,181 reviews286 followers
September 1, 2020
3.5 Cute

I didn't really want to read this one, I wasn't very curious, but I read it because it was there.

And guess what? I'm really glad I did! Antimony's story was better than I expected. It was interesting and fun and definitely worth reading, especially if you got so far with the series.

If you liked the previous books, you'll like this one as well.
If you didn't like the previous books, you'll definitely not change your opinion with this one.

Still, worth reading, I'd say.
Profile Image for Wanda Pedersen.
1,829 reviews358 followers
August 29, 2021
Halloween Bingo 2021

I usually try not to reread books for Bingo, but it's been 4 years since I enjoyed this Carnival adventure and it was just as much fun the second time around. I love the InCryptid series, which stars various members of the wild and wonderful Price family. This is Annie's first book, letting us get to know thie youngest sibling with her penchants for trapeze work and roller derby.

Annie has grown on me—I used to be an unrepentant Verity fan (still am), but I've come to understand why Annie has issues with her. And really, they work together when they have to, like when the Covenant of Saint George is after them. Sent to London to infiltrate the Covenant, Annie gets returned right back to the U.S. to join the Spenser and Smith Family Carnival. This is not the time to be meeting a boy or falling in love, but Annie discovers that her heart isn't under conscious control.

Things are unresolved at the book's end and I'm highly tempted to grab the next installment right away.

__________

ORIGINAL REVIEW

A fabulous Friday night read. A glass of wine and another volume of InCryptid.

In this installment, we get to know the youngest Price, Antimony (Annie), as she gets drafted into the family’s plans. Her carnival and roller derby past will serve her in good-stead as she attempts to infiltrate the Covenant of St. George.

We learn more about the Covenant and Price family dynamics, plus McGuire manages to neatly tie in her ghost characters, previously explored in Sparrow Hill Road. For me, the best part was Annie’s companion Aeslin mouse, Mindy, who makes contact with the Aeslin who remained in the U.K. I love her new companion, Mork, who joins Annie & Mindy to serve & protect cryptids. McGuire is obviously old enough to have seen & enjoyed Robin Williams’ first TV show, Mork & Mindy, which I hadn’t thought of in years.

As per usual, the mice make the book for me. I adore them and I’m not sure I would love the books the way I do without the magical mice.

How long until the next book?
Profile Image for Ferdy.
944 reviews1,098 followers
April 7, 2017
-Enjoyed the setting/world, the Price family, and the Aeslin mice/cryptids. Really despised the main character though.

-Hated Antimony's POV, Verity and Alex were far better protagonists.

-Antimony was seriously unlikable, and not in an interesting or engaging way. She was full of self-pity and judgement, and had a huge chip on her shoulder. I didn't get why she acted so hard done by when she was just as loved and cared for as the rest of her family. Also, it was amazing that she was 23 years old when sounded like a miserable, judgemental, up herself, stuck up old git.

-Anitmony bitching about Verity's dancing career was a bit hypocritical when her own roller derby thing was almost as risky for exposure. Her calling Verity selfish and thinking the worst of her was bang out of order, especially when Antimony was the only one being reckless, selfish and self-centred.

-Sam was a rubbish love interest, he spent all his time being a massive bitch, all he did was act like a total dick. There was nothing to his personality apart from anger, bitchiness and blandness. I especially loathed how violent and threatening he was towards Antimony, it was even more irritating when she shrugged it off and swooned after him. No doubt they'll end up together in the next book, and I'm sure Sam will be a full on wifebeater whenever Antimony does something to displease him, the absolute prick.

-There were too may boring info dumps about roller derby, carnivals and circuses. Some parts read like a dull text book.
Profile Image for Kira.
1,232 reviews132 followers
February 5, 2017

It's official: Antimony is my favorite of the Price siblings! Consequently this is my favorite book in the series. Unfortunately Annie is paying for her sister's mistakes and was sent to infiltrate the covenant. It made for an entertaining read because I was just waiting for something to go wrong. There was no way Annie would last long among a group of ruthless killers without giving something away. Let's face it: the only way to join the bad guys is to truly become one.

Annie could kick ass much like Verity, but she is more down to earth. It's funny that she holds so much animosity towards Verity since they are alike in many ways. She was loyal, smart, and quick witted. I loved it that Annie did everything on her own. It's rare to find a heroine who doesn't need a male sidekick to survive, but she was completely alone. Calling her family to help her out or even to bounce ideas off of never even crossed her mind. Considering the sticky situation she was in, it was impressive.

Most of the covenant people were despicable. Now Leo was somewhat likable, but I wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him. Then again the Price's have a habit of making covenant men change their ways. I'm not saying they were dating or anything, just making a point. Sam wasn't covenant, but Annie met him because of them. He was awesome! Sure he was a bit of a dick and swore, but what's not to like about that?

I wasn't sure how all of this was going to play out in the end. The covenant put Annie in a spot where her values were tested in more ways than one. There was a major surprise at the end involving the covenant. I don't believe what they predicted will happen the way they want it to, but we definitely haven't seen the last of them yet.

I felt so damn bad for Annie at the end. It was an honorable but incredibly hard choice to make. Why did her family do this to her? I don't mean Verity although the ball got rolling because of her but her parents. Who does that to their kid? The risks were extremely high with minimal benefits at best. Now her life is fucked thanks to them. The things Annie mentioned at the end about why she is doing what she's doing, well I was wondering at the beginning of the book why her family didn't take any of that into consideration. How did they think this would end for her? Then again they may have something up their sleeves that she doesn't know about. All I know is I am dying for the next one!

Thank you so so much to Netgalley and DAW for giving me this arc in exchange for an honest review!!!
Profile Image for Maria Dimitrova.
744 reviews139 followers
March 10, 2017
Buddy read with the Cryptozoology Club at BB&B. HAIL!

WARNING! SOME MINOR SPOILERS!

In the sixth instalment of InCryptid we're finally getting Antimony's POV. She's the youngest member of the Price family and let me tell she's a spoiled brat! Her constant whining during the first half of the book made me want to strangle her. Her older sibling, Verity especially, are the root of all evil in her universe. God, I wanted to slap her! Reading from her POV made me extremely grateful for being an only child. Some of the tantrums she threw made me want to hurl my Kindle at the wall! Selfish, spoiled little girl! And she had the audacity to claim that ! Grrr!

Thankfully, she grows up. By the time she goes to England things are a little bit better and by the end of the book there's a marked improvement. Once she came in contact with the real world and learned that sometimes you just fly by the seat of your pants and do whatever's necessary t stay alive at the time, she started to change her opinion of her siblings and their decisions. And as she slowly matured, I slowly started liking her. Because when she's not complaining about the world as a general she's pretty easy to like. A geek that likes comic books and conventions - what's not to like?

For the first time in her life, Antimony is given responsibility for something that really matters - infiltrating the Covenant of St. George. She is accompanied by one Aeslin mouse by the name of Mindy, to chronicle her adventures and should the worst happen report back to the Prices. As it happens soon after arriving at the Covenant's HQ Mindy finds members of her species who had decided to stay behind when the Healys left all those years ago, with the sole mission of preserving the actions of the children they left behind. Meeting Monk was a heartbreaking experience because the poor little Aeslin has had to hide all his life from his Gods and Priestesses. His awe when Antimony treated him with care and gentleness brought tears to my eyes. *sniffle*

Mindy and Monk

There were two notable new characters introduced - Leo, who is a member of the Covenant, and Sam - a monkey-man cryptid at the Carnival where most of the action occurred. Leo is a total creep! Seriously, that guy makes me want to hide under the bed. Unfortunately I have the feeling that he'll be showing up in the next book. Boy, isn't he a fanatic with more than his fair share of delusions of grandeur! That one is trouble, m ark my words. Sam, on the other hand, is very much like Antimony herself and watching their interactions was pure delight! Oh how I hope he will show up in the next instalment! He is just so adorable and was one of the people that forced Annie to grow up. The two of them helped each other so much to mature as characters. It'll be a shame to waste such a character.

The story itself is mostly fast paced with few lulls. The character development is cleverly disguised and it becomes obvious only in hindsight. I absolutely loved it and I have a hard time accustoming to the thought that I'll find out what happens next after a whole year! This is unacceptable! I NEED to KNOW NOW! *sulking* Good thing that I still have like a gazillion short stories set in this universe to tide me up until then. It's take some careful time management but I can make it.

For those of you wondering if this series is worth reading, the answer is absolutely yes. That is if you're into UF ;)
Profile Image for Marta Cox.
2,547 reviews191 followers
February 6, 2017
Four and a half from me
Well little Annie ( Antimony) had to grow up sometime but did she have to be thrown to the wolves? I know she's the baby of her family , the level headed one who keeps her head down but I did feel that her family seemed almost too eager to sacrifice her to the Covenant who they've been hiding from for the last three or four hundred years. Yet Annie rises to the occasion, she's brave, confident in her abilities ( even if she has to go undercover unarmed) and yes prepared in her own mind to make the ultimate sacrifice if need be!
Without saying too much I think it's obvious from the cover that our girl whose usually on a pair of skates ends up utilising her other skills and it's a setting that works very well if you want to hide out. Yes I'm talking carnival where Annie has to perform a mission whilst lying to everyone and yet she still finds time to get completely bamboozled by the various characters that want to be in her life. Annie has no intention of being a pawn, nor will she endanger those she cares about but the ending had one or two surprises that happily mean the next book will also be Antimonys!
Well who wouldn't want to describe themselves as a Cryptozoologist? The title is cool but Annie deserves it . Courage under fire has never been so apt as her own burgeoning powers start making themselves felt. It's a series that has certainly grown in strength and with this addition it's really standing out as a fabulous piece of urban fantasy. Of one thing I'm sure and that's that choices have consequences and they are not always intentional but now it's up to Antimony to move the Price family forward and I for one can't wait!
A copy of this was provided for me which I have voluntarily read and these thoughts are my own honest opinion
Profile Image for Emma.
2,393 reviews822 followers
November 29, 2018
This was my favourite and the best so far. I'd been looking forward to Antimony's story since early on in the series and it was worth the wait. I loved Sam and Antimony. More new cryptids. And the war with the Covenant is ramping up. Great stuff!
Profile Image for Christine PNW.
680 reviews193 followers
October 5, 2017
So, I'm all caught up on this series, and now I just have to wait for the next book.

I'd been waiting for a book from Antimony's POV for a while now. I love Verity, and am lukewarm on Alex, so I was curious to find out how I'd feel about the youngest of the Price siblings. Verity is still my favorite, but I enjoyed seeing the world from Antimony's grumpy, occasionally misanthropic, grudgy perspective.

McGuire is so imaginative and talented that when I stop to think about how many different series she writes, and how different each of those series are, I'm sort of blown away. This is still my favorite of her series, although I do also love the Wayward Children series.

The carnival setting is strangely effective here, and reading this book in October was serendipitous. I was reminded frequently of Something Wicked This Way Comes by Bradbury, which is one of the books that most clearly signals autumn to me.
Profile Image for Sarah.
3,326 reviews1,016 followers
March 16, 2017
I love this series so I was quite excited when I found out that it was time for Antimony, the youngest of the Price siblings, to take the spotlight. She's not had a major role in the previous books but I enjoyed her short stories (if you haven't already discovered all the free short stories that Seanan McGuire posts on her website you're really missing out, they give so much extra background insight into the series and are well worth reading!) and was looking forward to getting to know her better.

Magic for Nothing picks up the story right at the end of Chaos Choreography where Verity makes a rather huge announcement on national TV and pretty much taunts the Covenant of St George to come looking for her and the rest of her family. I have to agree with Annie that Verity didn't really think things through before she made that declaration but she'd been through quite a lot at that point and I don't think there was a chance that the Covenant would have missed her battling a giant snake god on live TV so the gig was pretty much up before Verity even said a word! Anyway, the Covenant now know that the family are still out there and the Prices are in desperate need of information about what their future plans are so they have the brilliant idea of sending Annie, the black sheep of the family, to London so she can infiltrate the Covenant and spy on them. If you think that sounds like a disaster just waiting to happen you wouldn't be far wrong. Let's face it, it's not going to be easy for Annie to join up with the enemy and pretend to be brainwashed into their way of thinking.

Annie's parents have always been incredibly over protective of her, she's the baby of the family and they are much harder on her than they ever have been on Verity and Alex so it was a little surprising that they'd be willing to send her into the clutches of the Covenant. Annie will be completely alone when she's carrying out her mission, it's not like the rest of the family can hop on a plane to mount a rescue mission if she gets in trouble and they don't even have Cryptid contacts in London to keep an eye out for her as the local populations have been decimated by the Covenant's purges. Annie has certainly taken on a huge task when she agrees to the challenge, especially considering a rather large secret that she's been keeping from everyone, one that could very easily lead to her being caught by the Covenant. I have to say I admired her bravery and her determination to prove herself to her family, she always wanted them to respect her more so she jumps at this chance to show them what she's capable of.

It's very hard to like any of the Covenant members, I know the Price family has a history of converting them but I'm not convinced any of the characters we meet here will be willing to leave the dark side. It was interesting to get to see more of their distant cousin Margaret though, I don't particularly like her but she hasn't had it easy because the Covenant see her family as traitors and are constantly checking up on her to make sure she doesn't follow suit. Leon seems the most likeable but I'm still very wary of him and all of the others. After completing her Covenant training Annie is sent on her first mission and it was at this point that I really started falling in love with the side characters. Sam was a particular favourite and I really, really hope we get to see more of him in the next book, I just thought he and Annie were adorable together.

Magic for Nothing has a different feel to it than the previous books in the series, the stakes are higher than ever and Annie is completely cut off from the family for most of the book so she's totally on her own trying to handle everything. The aeslin mice are on hand to add plenty of humour though, even if they are there as a sort of black box for Annie and are supposed to report back to the family in case anything happens to her. The ending was pretty heartbreaking in several ways, poor Annie has jumped out of the frying pan and landed in the middle of the fire so it's going to be really interesting to see where she goes from here. I was already a huge fan of this series but now I'm more eager than ever for the next instalment and I can't wait to spend more time in this world.

Source: Received from the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
Profile Image for Shelley.
5,125 reviews459 followers
April 11, 2017
*Source* Publisher
*Genre* Urban Fantasy
*Rating* 3.5

*My Thoughts*

Magic for Nothing is the sixth installment in author Seanan McGuire's InCryptid series. Magic for Nothing piggybacks off the events that happened in Verity's last book, Chaos in Choreography. Magic for Nothing features the youngest of the Price clan, 22-year old Antimony Timpani Price. Unlike Verity and her brother Alex (whose books I skipped over to get to Chaos), Annie has magical abilities which she has been keeping a secret from her family.

*Full Review @ Gizmos Reviews*

Profile Image for Elena Linville.
Author 1 book54 followers
March 9, 2022
 Stars: 2 out of 5.

This was honestly a disappointing book in an otherwise cool series. Probably because I didn't really like the protagonist and couldn't care less about her story. I loved Verity and was happy to follow her for two books. I loved her brother and his adventures... I always thought that Antimony was a sanctimonious bore, so reading an entire book from her perspective? Hmm... But it was a series I liked, so I decided to give it a shot. Yeah, that's a disappointment.

Annie is still as unlikeable as before, and I had zero desire to follow her through the story. Also, this whole double-triple agent idea is fun if well executed... which it wasn't. The Price family has the resources of the entire incryptid community to rely on, yet they choose to send one girl with no support and outdated intel on the Covenant to infiltrate the said Covenant. Wait, what? In what world is that supposed to succeed? In this one, apparently.

There were a couple interesting side characters to keep me going with the book, but the main characters were not fun. I already mentioned that I didn't like Annie, and her Covenant counterpart wasn't much better. Dominic he is not.

It also felt like the book was doing a lot of telling and very little showing. Also, what's up with the constant rehashing of the lore that was already disclosed in previous books? This is book 6 in the series. Surely readers realize that? That if they don't understand something, they will pick up previous books and read them (if they hadn't already)? No need to rehash everything again.

Another problem is that this book often breaks its own lore and the rules that were established in previous books, which makes for a bewildering read for those of us who read the other books in the series. I had several "Wait, this can be done this way? Wait, I thought these species couldn't do that?" episodes while reading this book. And that is the ultimate put-off for me. I am willing to suspend my disbelief and enjoy a fictional world, as long as that world stays consistent with the rules established by the author.

And that ending? I'm sorry, but that's the worst ending I've seen in a series in a long time.
Profile Image for Holly (The GrimDragon).
983 reviews234 followers
January 17, 2022
"And you shouldn't believe all the press about Ouija boards. They can't be used in an exorcism. Trivial Pursuit can, but that's another story."

Magic for Nothing is the sixth book in Seanan McGuire's InCryptid series. I recently finished book nine & then realized...I hadn't actually posted the previous reviews, which is complete bullshit because I adore this series! Also yes, that means I have four posts featuring InCryptid coming up.

::shrugs:: I'm more than okay with that!

Magic for Nothing (aka Antimony Goes on a Big Adventure™) is an across-the-world trek that has the youngest Price sibling, Antimony/Annie, taking the lead!

Annie owns my whole entire heart! She's the black sheep of the family, digs Marvel, is on a roller derby team called The Slasher Chicks & has an impressive talent with knives.

Planes, trains & automobiles!

BUT ALSO:

*Magic Training School
*Infiltrating a traveling carnival
*Even MORE cryptids
*Mindy, Annie's Aeslin companion (ALL HAIL THE AESLIN MICE!!)
*Grandma Alice, the living spellbook (she's the actual best!)

The InCryptid series is such a fucking blast!
Profile Image for Craig.
4,880 reviews111 followers
April 11, 2017
McGuire is really amazing; most writers of series have one or two fictional worlds in which they tell their tales, but McGuire has at least half-a-dozen fully developed and fleshed-out complex, evolving universes populated with strong casts of characters and detailed infrastructure. This is the sixth volume of the InCryptid series, and the youngest Price sibling, Antimony, is the main attraction this time around. She's primarily been shown as a whiny brat in the previous volumes, from the viewpoint of her older sister and brother, and it's fascinating to get her side of the story. She never comes off as overwhelmingly likable (and her boyfriend is never very sympathetic at all), but there's quite a bit of development and the girl from the beginning of the book isn't at all the same as the young woman who comes out at the end. It's a very enjoyable novel, and a good entry in the series.
353 reviews36 followers
December 31, 2019
Since I gave five stars to the previous book in the InCryptid series, Chaos Choreography, I need to stress that my meager three stars for this one still means "I liked it" in Goodreadsspeak. It was readable and full of action and vivid descriptions, and the actual cryptids in this story were lots of fun, . The field guide to the incryptids, included as an appendix, has expanded to 23 species! Well, all of that is what I liked. We go on.

My favorite characters in the whole Price/Healy family line, Verity Price and Grandma Alice Healy, worked amazingly as the two leads in Chaos Choreography. Here they're replaced by a single lead character, Antimony Timpani Price & her aliases--Verity's kid sister by only three years (age 23 or 24 I think) and probably best imagined as your own (much) younger sister.

Distinctly immature for her age and prevented from forming satisfactory relationships, like the rest of her family, by the constant threat of death from the Covenant of St. George, Antimony (Annie) is brash and bratty, and her particular world outside of home has apparently consisted of carnivals and roller derby (under aliases of course)--she says again and again in this first-person narrative that that's where she really feels at home. Hard for me to relate to, and I know that's at least partly me.

As the back cover blurb says, Verity's challenge to the Covenant of St. George on public television (at the end of the last book) leads the family to decide that Annie should go to London and infiltrate the Covenant, spying on it for the family. (One plus here--Annie is full of family loyalty, though with lots of anger at Verity.)

Now until this point in the series, I've been okay with the Covenant as a murky organization of villains who make the Price/Healy family adventures exciting. Seeing the Covenant from inside, though, through Annie's eyes as a fresh volunteer being trained to detect "monsters," it just doesn't ring true. Even in a fantasy, the regular mundane humans who are supposedly operating in the real world we all know have to stay within its boundaries to be believable, and that's even more true of mundane humans who revile anything paranormal.

None of the Covenanters is particularly well examined, but what we see of their behavior and psychology plus their secret paramilitary set-up is very hard for me to imagine in an actual present-day British environment. Where do these people come from, how do they get away with it, and what's with their insistence on genealogy while they take on recruits outside their family lines? To say nothing of their confidence they can detect family resemblances across multiple generations...

The whole plot rests on our accepting that these people with serious trust issues would send a raw recruit like Undercover Annie on a mission to infiltrate and spy on a midwestern U.S. carnival, under tight control to be sure (report daily at 10:17 p.m. or else!), but really? So a closer look at the Covenant tends to spoil the suspension of disbelief that helps me enjoy a fantasy adventure.

What does help is that Annie has lots of courage underneath her aggressive foolhardiness, and she's quite self-critical as well as critical of others; her foray into romance seems genuine too (and it's almost PG--just kissing and then a scene of quickly putting clothes back on). Annie is the one who gives us the rootedness in reality that makes urban fantasy work and makes it such fun to watch her interact with all the shifters in their human and other forms. She grows as a person through life-and-death situations, and for me the climax and ending were satisfying.

And my heart went out to that other romance--Mork and Mindy, the Aeslin mice who travel with Annie!
Profile Image for Vivian.
2,839 reviews389 followers
March 14, 2022

Antimony pays for Verity’s choices. Siblings ... enough said. Antimony’s the genetic outlier in the female line and thus gets nominated to do recon at the Covenant of Saint George headquarters in jolly old England. Thanks, sis.

Things go fairly well until they don’t and a new villain rises for the latest Price generation to look forward to in future installments.

My older siblings have been complaining about playing with me since I was a little kid and realized they would gang up unless I escalated things as fast as possible. What they’d never seemed to realize was that I was smaller than them, and already on the outside of the closed unit they formed. I’d been trying to protect myself.

Well that explains her love of pit traps and heights. Also why she kept running away to join the circus or carnival and relates to her skill set. Knife throwing, very handy.

Where Verity had dancing, Antimony has the carnival. Learn all about the fun of life on the road and the exciting sideshows that are more than human. The pace of this is fast and has the usual twists and romantic interest though it goes xenophilic where the previous siblings were human/human pairings. It leaves off with Antimony in a tough spot; the storyline is resolved, but not Antimony's problems.

And some of my favorite parts of all the books in the series are the furry family attendants: Love the Aeslin mice: love, love, love.
“Are you being careful when you scavenge? You know there are giant snakes in the other half of this RV, right?”
“Yes, Priestess,” said Mindy. “We have avoided the Realm of Unreasonably Large Pythons.”
Profile Image for All Things Urban Fantasy.
1,921 reviews610 followers
April 13, 2017
Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy:

MAGIC FOR NOTHING took me a little bit longer to get into than other InCryptid novels. I’m not sure if it’s because of the new narrator - the youngest of the Price siblings, Antimony - or if it was because so much of the beginning relied on the backlash of the previous book. Once we got into the swing of things though - trapeze joke! - I really enjoyed it.

One of the main themes in the InCryptid books is the family you are born to or the one you choose, and it’s importance when the whole world seems to be against you. Or, in the case of the Price family, actually is. Since she isn’t blonde and perky like her siblings, Antimony gets sent to England to infiltrate the Covenant, the monster-killing group that the Price family ran away from a few generations back. Antimony finds long lost cousins among the killers, and long lost talking mice, too!

The Covenant send Antimony back to America to infiltrate a travelling carnival, and I adored the atmosphere and the people there. There are miscellaneous monsters, some we’ve seen before and new ones that were tons of fun. Once again, the scariest monsters are the humans, whether from the Covenant or otherwise.

MAGIC FOR NOTHING is fun, with carnie slang and ghost aunts aplenty. It’s not as sexy as some of the previous books, but I have high hopes for the next book, which is slated to some out in 2018.
Profile Image for ☕️Kimberly  (Caffeinated Reviewer).
2,997 reviews636 followers
May 18, 2018
After the mind-blowing ending of Chaos Chronography, Antimony, the youngest Price sister, who incidentally looks nothing like her siblings, is tasked with traveling to London to infiltrate the Covenant! Can she convince them of her cover story? Can she and one lone Aslin mouse discover what the Covenant knows about the Price family and if they are planning an all-out war? Eeep!

McGuire hooked me from the beginning as narrator Emily Bauer took on new voices and new creatures. Antimony (Annie) is twenty-two and a roller-derby loving young woman who is still living at home. She hasn't quite decided what she wants to do in life but throughout Magic for Nothing, we witness her come into her own, through growth and sacrifice.

Being inside the Covenant of St. George was just as creepy as I hoped. From their thorough investigation and testing of Annie, we learn quite a lot. She has one lone Aslin mouse with her. Wait until you see what this young mouse uncovers, aside from a full inventory of their cheese.

Thanks to Annie's unusual skill set with knife throwing and trapeze work the Covenant sends Annie back to America to infiltrate and spy on a traveling circus. Here things get interesting and deadly. As always, McGuire delivers an intense suspense thread while fleshing out new characters and showcases different types of cryptids. Explosions, death-defying tricks and Covenant operatives await you.

The books typically have a romantic thread and Annie develops feelings for one of the performers. Holy Weirdness peeps! Now ya'll know her extended family is filled with cryptids, ghosts, talking mice and more, but most of the Price family are married to HUMANS. I am not saying more but the movie Jumanji came to mind as I listened. LOL This review was originally posted at Caffeinated Reviewer
Profile Image for Marzie.
1,118 reviews92 followers
March 4, 2017
I was fortunate to receive an ARC copy of this book.

4.75 stars with a 0.25 deduction for small Aeslin colony size in this novel. We need as many mice as possible. We need an Aeslin History of the Price-Healy Family.

I have to admit that in many ways I have always looked at the Incryptid series as the younger, less fortunate sibling of McGuire's October Daye series. I've read each Incryptid book and most, if not all, of the shorts, and somehow always felt I wasn't having the great enjoyment I get from watching Toby, Tybalt, Quentin, May and the Luidaeg play "Let's Rock the Fae Political Structure of North America." This book was a game changer for me. I really enjoyed this book immensely (of course, I would enjoy it, there are Aeslin mice named Mindy and Mork in it! And yes, in that order...) but I also felt that, as crazy as the storyline was, the thing that makes this story work so well is Antimony herself, who is so much more than a former cheerleading, now roller derbying, cryptozoologist. Verity was always fun, Alex was so very earnest, but Antimony is brave and has insights aplenty about family dynamics and what it means to be long-underestimated. As it turns out, Antimony's motto should be "Do the Right Thing," and she finds ways, in the most difficult of situations, to do just that. And she makes sacrifices to do so. The entire Price/Healy family is paying for Verity's need for the spotlight (which I always found paradoxical, not being a believer in 'hiding in plain sight' as a strategy). Antimony can't totally fix the problem, but she goes a ways toward doing so, at great personal cost.

A great big carnival ride of a book. So much fun to read in these times when having some diversion keeps you sane.
Profile Image for Karissa.
3,885 reviews191 followers
March 1, 2017
This was a well done continuation of the Incryptid series. This whole book is told from Antimony’s point of view. It was a lot of fun to read and we learn a lot more about the Covenant of St. George.

Antimony (Annie) is the youngest of the Price kids and always feels over protected. She gets her thrills from participating in roller derby and in general kind of lays low. When she is asked in infiltrate the Covenant of St. George it’s quite a change of pace for her.

I really enjoyed some of the side themes to this book. It was interesting to learn more about roller derby culture and I also loved learning more about modern day carnivals. Additionally I continue to enjoy all of the crazy incryptids we meet. If you could really be a cryptozoologist I would be all over that!

Annie was a fun character and I enjoyed reading about her. It was intriguing to see how Annie views the other Price kids (Verity and Alex). I never really thought of Verity as selfish, but Annie thinks she’s nothing but.

We meet a whole new crowd of interesting characters in this book. There is a lot of action and the book is fast-paced. This book deals with a lot of the fallout caused by Verity outing the Prices to the Covenant of St. George on national TV.

Overall this was a well done book that was fun to read. I didn’t enjoy it quite as much as Verity’s books but I think Annie will grow on me more in future books. I did really enjoy some of the settings and topics (roller derby, modern carnivals, Covenant of St. George). This continues to be a very well done light-hearted urban fantasy series. I would recommend to fans of light-hearted UF.
Profile Image for Sophie.
440 reviews159 followers
March 24, 2017
I love that this book finally explains why anyone, ever, would actually name their kid "Antimony Timpani." I've been wondering about that since book one of this series. And I'm so glad we finally get to spend some time with Antimony, because I LOVE HER. The baby sister, the bad daughter, the secret magic-user(!!). Roller derby and carnivals and trapeze swinging and knife-throwing and spying and setting things on fire. Seanan's books are always delicious, and this is no exception, but this one speaks to me in a way Verity and Alex's books don't quite manage.

My only complaint is I have to wait another year for the next one. This is definitely the most excited I've ever been to read the next InCryptid book.

HAIL THE SHOWER!
Profile Image for Joey.
60 reviews25 followers
May 22, 2017
Seanan McGuire is a writer who makes me want to write. She has a seemingly never-ending well of stories to tell and she always does so with wit, heart, and a little edge. There are familiar veins through all of her leading characters; strength of heart and mind, a little misanthropy towards the general population, a strong moral compass and willingness to stand up for themselves and others, and an uncanny ability to say the right thing to the right people in order to win their trust and friendship. None of these similarities make her characters any less rich or well developed. They do however, tell me a little something about the author herself. If these are the qualities she values, it's no wonder book after book is an entertaining, page turning success.

Antimony Price is the elusive, bratty youngest member of the Price family. She has shown up briefly in other books to throw barbs at her sister Verity or to play the role of overlooked family baby. When mentioned by her siblings in previous books, she has been described as a devious, clever, pit trap setting younger sibling with a major chip on her shoulder. I've been looking forward to her getting her own book as I felt we've only seen the tip of the Antimony iceberg. We know who she is through the eyes of her sister and brother, but who is she really? How has being a Price shaped her?

Magic for Nothing is a worthy addition to the Incryptid series. It maybe jams a little too much action and plot into an introductory book, but if you view this as chapter six in a larger story instead of chapter one in Antimony's story, it's easier to understand.

At the end of the last book we saw Verity announcing her families presence in North America on national TV, right after slaying a giant snake for all the world to see. The cat is out of the bag and there's no more hiding themselves from the monster killing fanatics known as The Covenant of St George.

When the family learns that an entire club housing Cryptids in NYC has been wiped out by Covenant operatives, they know the battle has just begun.

Desperate for any information they can use to their advantage they decide to send Antimony undercover. She must infiltrate The Covenant as a new recruit and try not to get caught. The best case scenario, she finds out The Covenants' plan of attack and reports back home so they can prepare for a war. The worst case? Her Aeslin mouse Mindy makes it home to report back how she died and warn the family before it's too late.

As I said before, I was looking forward to meeting Antimony. I wasn't disappointed, though I do think her character needs more time to develop and define who she is. Verity and Alex had very clear personality traits and points of view. Antimony, maybe by virtue of being the youngest, seems to waffle a bit more. She's a team player, loving cheerleading and roller derby and trapeze and yet she also claims to be a misanthrope with difficulty connecting to other people. She's confident and clear headed and seems to love and trust her family but she has extreme resentment and insecurity when it comes to her siblings. She can be bratty and stubborn, holding an unreasonably vitriolic grudge against her sister Verity.

She's a comic book nerd, a horror movie fanatic, and always ready with a pop culture reference. She looks physically different from her relatives, tall, muscular, and brunette compared to their petite curvy blondes.

All in all she's a complex, faceted character who is equally like-able and irritating. The only thing I really struggled with was the idea that she's a misanthrope. It felt a little forced. To me, Antimony is the ultimate team player. She sees her duty to her family as her natural and moral responsibility. She resents Verity for being selfish and wanting to live her own life. She's the one who plays by the rules and even enforces them, only to be under-appreciated by her parents.

When asked to go undercover she initially reacts defensively, assuming unfairly that her parents are willing to sacrifice her safety in ways they never would her brother and sister. Eventually she tables her knee jerk reaction, seeing this as an opportunity to finally show her parents what she's always known; she is the good daughter, the reliable one, the only one up to the task of defending and protecting the family.

And so she takes off for Europe, to infiltrate the enemy with the hopes of learning something that will help fix the mess Verity landed them in.

One of my favorite things about all of McGuire's work is how unfailingly progressive and even feminist her characters are. I am a diehard Urban Fantasy fan, but there is an unfortunate trend to rely on sexist tropes and characters. Female heroines putting down other women is a personal pet peeve of mine within the genre. I'm tired of the "I'm not like other girls" mentality. I want to see strong female characters with healthy friendships who have integrity and conviction and who stand up for their beliefs. McGuire never fails me in that department. Even when **spoiler alert** we see Antimony share a special kiss with her new Cryptid love interest, she manages to point out how unfair his past girlfriends have been without being derogatory or self congratulating. It's refreshing and inspiring to see such positive and dimensional representations of women.

5 stars for Magic for Nothing because I enjoyed every second of it, flaws and all.
Profile Image for Katie.
2,647 reviews143 followers
August 6, 2020
I really struggled with how much Antimony dislikes Verity. Sibling relationships can be hard and they don't look the same from both sides, but . . . I didn't know there was any tension there until the fifth book. That's too late. It made it hard to get on board with Antimony's narration.

This was also a weirdly paced book. It felt like two books in one

Not super eager to read more of the series right now, but we will see!
Profile Image for Khanh.
187 reviews1 follower
October 12, 2022
My favorite book in the series so far. Annie rocks and is hilarious.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 526 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.