Start by marking “Don't Get Scrooged: How to Thrive in a World Full of Obnoxious, Incompetent, Arrogant, and Downright Mean-Spirited People” as Want to Read:

Inside find helpful advice, such as:

Take a Vacation, Not a Guilt-Trip
Don't Get "Should Upon"

Hades or Homecoming?
Opt In- or Out-of Family Events

Quit Being Your Mother
Ban Worry from Your Holidays

It's Not Daytona—You're Not Jeff Gordon
Don't Try to Cook Tailgating Turkeys

Don't Get Scrooged is a jewel of a handbook on how to avoid, appease, and even win over the Scrooges who ha
Published October 31st 2006 by HarperOne

To ask other readers questions about Don't Get Scrooged, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Don't Get Scrooged

Sara
Nov 18, 2016 rated it liked it
Overall an enjoyable book but seems to be mostly common sense and not anything particularly deeply insightful. Not Richard Carlson's best book but just an okay reminder about how to deal with difficult people.
Meredith White
Sep 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
Even though Don't Get Scrooged by Richard Carlson, Ph.D. is intended for the upcoming holidays, I simply couldn't wait to pick it up. I felt it was pertinent to me, even now, in that our country and community is in a constant state of agitation. Truly, I can't go a day without running into a 'Scrooge' or being one myself. I figured that the size of this book would make it a simple read; however, I didn't anticipate the amount of applicable information that would present itself in such a tiny pac ...more
Ray Palen
Dec 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is not as much a work analyzing Charles Dickens' classic novel, A CHRISTMAS CAROL, as it is a friendly warning and ultimate indictment of those people in your life who resemble the central character of Ebenezer Scrooge.

Carlson is the world-famous author who wrote DON'T SWEAT THE SMALL STUFF and this work will definitely help those who look on the brighter side of life that are forced to deal with the angry rabble (that sometimes appears to be the majority) who make up the rest of the world.
Susanne
Mostly common sense, especially to people who already know how to selfreflect on life. It had a few good points that I could add to my mindset, but nothing ground-breaking.
Lisa Lou
Nov 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobooks-2017
Good tips and reminders
Jan
Nov 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Common sense advice -- or what used to be common sense
Mary Lou
Feb 11, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
Bah! Humbug! This is just "Small Stuff" reworked to exploit the holiday market.
Conrad Hall
Dec 28, 2013 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: no one
There are some pieces in this book I am glad to see. The practice of "Sing Your Way to Happiness" definitely works. I was once standing at a transit station with girlfriend. It was cold, and near Christmas. Folks were grumbling because the bus was late.

As we waited, I sang "Do You Hear What I Hear" for my girlfriend. I sang gently because we were standing close to stay warm, yet others seemed to hear me. The song changed the attitude of people waiting, and one person even said thank you for the
CZ
Nov 20, 2013 rated it liked it
I would give this 3.5 stars. It was a good reminder at the start of another holiday season to not allow other people's negative actions and attitudes affect you. There wasn't anything new in this book but it was a positive read and helps reiterate that a person is in control of their own emotions and attitude. The world around us is by far a beautiful and wondrous place especially during the holiday season. Don't allow others to diminish the miraculous feelings you experience during the holidays ...more
Jessica Cramer
Nov 28, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: adventmas, owned
The first time I read this, I gave it three stars. This was my second read-through. I didn't realize I had read it before until I looked it up on my Goodreads. It clearly didn't leave a lasting impression. I found this book to be cheesy and a bit dated the second time around. The turns of phrase and trite platitudes the author uses were nauseating. Having said that, there is some good advice to take away with you to deal with the "turkeys" (see what I mean about nauseating? and why not stick wit ...more
Beverly McCall
Dec 14, 2013 rated it it was ok
Wasn't quite what I expected. I found an okay read. More entertaining that really a self-help book. vignettes seemed to be based on the Golden Rule philosophy and turning the other cheek. No real concrete advice on how to reduce the shock of dealing with a Scrooge or Turkey as Richard Carlson refers to these obnoxious, incompetent, arrogant and down-right spirited people. Good book to read while waiting in an airport for a delayed flight.
Gwyneth
Dec 16, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: non-fiction
I was expecting more from it. the book seemed to be pretty much saying 'turn the other cheek' but really didn't give much advise as to how one might do that ... count to 10 and meditate are not all that new or creative suggestions, definately not suggestions that make it worth reading the book ... and i am not too sure how someone who is not religious at all could use his 'god box' suggestion.
Nytetyger
Jul 22, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2009-challenge
Marketed carefully as a book to help you deal with difficult people, the book information often FAILS to point out it really is just one of those “chicken soup for the whatever soul” twaddles, but this time aimed at making sure you don’t become Mister or Miss Grumpypants for Christmas. I finished it… barely. You’ve now been warned.
Ken
Mar 08, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: self-help
This book was great. Richard Carlson gives lots of great tips and advice on how to deal with simple every day problems. I would recommend this book to anyone who wants to remove stress from their lives.
Carmen Brown
Jan 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Although this book has a holiday theme to it, the ideas presented here are applicable to all life situations any time of the year. Richard Carlson, known for his "Don't Sweat the Small Stuff" series, once again provides insight and advice on dealing with difficult people. Highly recommend!
Kristal Cooper
From the author of "Don't Sweat the Small Stuff... and It's All Small Stuff" comes this similar collection that's specifically geared toward the holiday season. Good advice, but not ground-breaking for me since I'm already like the proverbial duck in a rain shower. :)
Jess
Dec 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
A quick guide to prepare us for dealing with people (just like ourselves) who aren't perfect all the time.
Chrissy DeVore
Nov 20, 2018
Sonja
Nov 18, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Richard Carlson, Ph.D, was born and raised in the Bay Area. He grew up in Piedmont and received his bachelor's degree from Pepperdine University and his doctorate in psychology from Sierra University before opening a private psychotherapy practice.

During his life, he was considered one of the foremost experts in happiness and stress reduction in the United States and around the world and was a fre
“Although airing your grievances with others may help you feel less alone and on rare occasions gets you good advice, more often than not it keeps you stuck in a bad mood.” 0 likes
“Most of us spend too much time wishing that people would be other than they are.” 0 likes