Start by marking “Friedrich” as Want to Read:

3.69  ·  Rating details ·  2,289 Ratings  ·  145 Reviews
Friedrich and his best friend were growing up in Germany in the early 1930s. At first, Friedrich seemed to be the more fortunate, but when Hitler came to power, things began to change. Friedrich was expelled from school and became an orphan when his mother died and his father was arrested and deported.

This is a terrifying story of the destruction of a single Jewish family.
Published August 27th 1987 by Puffin (first published January 1st 1961)

To ask other readers questions about Friedrich, please sign up.

Jan 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Got to page 33 and realized that this book was going to make me weep buckets. I skipped to the end. Oh yeah, Hankie City. The why the 4 star rating you ask?

Because this book is very important. It's not just another Holocaust book. It's real, it's visceral and it's told from the POV of a child born in Germany in 1925 who is friends with a Jewish boy who is his upstairs neighbor, which makes what happens to the family and the boy that much more powerful to the reader.

It is more powerful if you th
Mar 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I took four years of German classes in high school. German I was a small class, only ten or so people. For German II and III I was the only one that continued, so I had A PRIVATE TUTOR essentially for two years.

As a result, we probably did a lot of things most kids wouldn't get away with in class (by "we" I mean "I," of course) - like listening to OpIvy during finals (cos my teacher was bored and since I'd listened to music while I was studying IT ONLY MADE SENSE to listen to it during the test,
Eric Boot
Mein Deutsch ist noch nicht so gut, also, nicht lächeln :) Aber ich möchte es versuchen. Okay, jetzt geht's los:
Damals war es Friedrich war nicht so schlecht wie andere Bücher die ich lesen muss für Deutsch und Englisch. Der Abschluß war so traurig! Ich gebe das Buch 3 Sterne, weil es am Anfang ein bisschen langweilig war. Die Ende machte aber viel gut. Damals war es Friedrich war eine angenehme Überraschung!
Bebe (Sarah) Brechner
Sep 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Stunning, unsettling book on the Holocaust. This was the first book written specifically from a child's perspective on the Holocaust, and by a German author. Two boys who are very best friends, one Christian and one Jewish, experience the gradual takeover of mind and society by the Nazi government. The implacable pull of culture and society on the personalities and actions of children during this time is evident here.

The author's matter-of-fact writing was controversial when the book was first p
Linda Lipko
Sep 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
You may be inclined to ask what more can be said about the horrors of the holocaust. If so, then read this book.

While somewhat slow in pace, hanging in there will bring reward. In fact, the pace appears deliberate and analogous to the creeping dangers of the Nazi party, that when in full horrific elevation many looked back and realized the day to day progress as one denial after another slowly happened to Jews.

This story is told by Hans whose family is struggling. Out of work in a post WWII Germ
Pedro R.
Sep 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
The book tells the story of two best friends that witnessed the slow evolution of the nazi party, one is christian, and the other is a jew. The story is told from the point of view of an unnamed character whose family is struggling in a pre World War II economy. The narrator's father struggles to keep his wife and son fed. They live in the same apartment as the Schneiders who are jewish and are living well. They help the narrator's family whenever they can. The goes on during the time Hitler is ...more
Edwina Callan
Mar 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bookcrossing, 2016
Best Friends ... A Jew and A Gentile.

World War 2 and the Holocaust as seen through the eyes of two young boys.
Riveting and heartbreaking.
Highly recommended to everyone.
Oct 16, 2016 rated it it was ok
I bought this at a used bookstore because it looked interesting, and when I finished reading it, I thought that, even given the genre, it was one of the most depressing stories I've EVER read. It starts off REALLY slow, and somewhat dull, and then just continues to get worse and worse and worse, throughout the entire book, and things never get better for ANY of the main characters. I understand that the Holocaust was NOT a pleasant time in Germany, but the author could have at least put some hop ...more
Julie Suzanne
May 27, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Middle school students
Recommended to Julie by: Noonan
The nameless narrator recounts a series of memories that illuminate Friedrich's story as a Jew in German society during the thirties and early forties. There is no concentration camp or ghetto in this narrative, but rather the gradual discrimination that the family endures, never believing that there is a real threat; never in this century could people revert to the savagery of the middle ages.

The narrator explains what he did, what he thought, how the friendship grew & changed, but never se
Victoria Minks
This is the kind of book that already in the first chapter you get an achy feeling in your heart--because you know the happiness within it is so very fragile. The pain in your chest gets deeper and stronger the more you read, watching these two boys grow up pre-WWII and into the war. And then you finish. You close the book. And you cry.

You don't cry only for Friedrich, though you wish you could reach a hand out to him and comfort him. You cry for the boy who is his friend (The unnamed Narrator)
Sara Darr
Oct 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This was another book that I had read during primary school when I was in Y6. It primarily deals with the persecution of the Jews during the Holocaust. It gives you an insight into how life was like for Jews during the World War and the hardship they faced.

Friederich is the story of a young Jewish boy and his Christian friend during the World War. Although they are both friendly neighbours, it details how their lives changed when Hitler came into power. Whereas his Christian friend's family bene
Hans Peter Richter tells the his and fredrichs story of there experience in the holocaust. They are the same age and live in the same town. Friedrich is Jewish. At the beginning of this story Friedrich's family is rich. Hans Peter Richter who tells the story is poor. the book follows the timeline of when Hitler comes into power and starts the holocaust. Hans Peter Richter’s father joins the Nazi party. The book tells the story of how all the jewish family's lose there rights.
This book was alr
Dec 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
The slow, sure denigration then destruction of a German Jewish family told through the eyes of their non-Jewish neighbours, particularly their son, in the years following Hitler's rise to power. Told with with a clear, unemotional prose that is devastating in the apparent simplicity of its storytelling. 'Friedrich' brings home the human cost of extreme prejudice and mob politics like no other book I've read. It's suitable for anyone above the age of about 12.
Nov 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Story through the years told by Friedrich's best friend concerning treatment of Friedrich, a Jew living in Germany. Not a happy story but what life was like as Hitler came into power. A quick read but well-worth getting as this period of time should never be forgotten. Recommended for 12 year old and up.
May 11, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was a real snooze.

The narrative was more a collection of memories, rather than a true narrative.

I don't recommend this book.
Andrew Munroe
Oct 21, 2016 rated it liked it
The beginning of didn't catch y attention, but toward the middle of the book did.
Dec 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Classroom 7th grade
Feb 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ich habe die einfache Weise gemocht, wie der Erzähler von seiner Begegnung mit Friedrich, einem jungen Juden, berichtete, und folgende Ereignisse, die ihre Freundschaft im Laufe der Jahre gebildet hat. Vom Anfang an (in den 30er) war sie vom Nazi-Regime überschattet, zuerst war es nur angedeutet, dann wurde es immer krasser, bis zum letzten Moment...

Die Sprache ist sehr schön, man hat den Eindruck, dass einfach Erinnerungen erzählt werden. Die Figuren sind sehr interessant geschildert, der Leser
Jun 09, 2017 rated it liked it
It was heartbreaking. As tedious as the main part of the book was, Frederich is an eye-opening story, revealing the injustice the German government did towards Jews as well as society. The reader experiences the discrimination developing piece by piece through the eyes of a young boy who is friends with a Jew. He experiences everything first hand without every getting hurt, not until within the last forty pages of the book.
Oct 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book touched my heart and shattered it. Here you follow a little boy who is friend with the boy upstairs. Life gets tougher for the narrator’s friend and his family and all because they’re Jewish.

Following the events of the Holocaust and witnessing the innocence of these boys get perverted and twisted made me feel ill and broke my heart.

Full Review at:
Jan 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
We've all heard about the holocaust one way or another. Being in Asia, most of my knowledge was limited to the activities during WWII. This book puts the events into context for me. The timeline is a clever way of registering the changes.
Sockmonkey Twentytwo
One of the saddest books I have ever read :(
Jun 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: political
Holocaust from the eyes of a child. Just sad. Terribly sad.
Jul 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
I read this back in middle school, I think in 8th grade. I remember really liking it so I gave it 4 stars.
Jan 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Clara Zhang
May 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
What a heartbreaker!
Jun 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Sep 10, 2017 rated it did not like it
This book was not one of my favorites because it did not have a good climax or story line. It did not really keep me interested.
Dec 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fuck. Fuck.
Jan 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Habe ich in der Schule gelesen und ich finde es ist eines der besten Bücher zu diesem Thema.
Es erzählt wirklich Schritt für Schritt, wie es zum Schrecken des 3.Reiches kommen konnte und welche Folgen es für alle Betroffenen hatte.

Das Ende hat mich wirklich traurig gemacht und ich musste Tränen verdrücken.
  • The Final Journey
  • Hiroshima No Pika
  • The Island on Bird Street
  • Daniel Half Human: And the Good Nazi
  • Die rote Zora und ihre Bande
  • Rose Blanche
  • Hitler's Canary
  • An Innocent Soldier
  • A Faraway Island (A Faraway Island #1)
  • Another Shore
  • The Year of Goodbyes
  • Maikäfer, flieg!
  • El polizón del "Ulises"
  • See Ya, Simon
  • Behind the Bedroom Wall
  • Der Vater eines Mörders. Eine Schulgeschichte
  • Un bon petit diable
  • We Remember the Holocaust
Hans Peter Richter (1926–1993) was a German author. Born in Cologne, Germany, went to school in Germany, went to the university of Hannover, and graduated in 1968. He also spent some of his life in the German army. Richter wrote many books for children and young adults. Notable among them is the novel Friedrich (in German Damals War Es Friedrich), about the persecution of Jews in Germany during th ...more
More about Hans Peter Richter...

Young Adult Deals

• The Silent Shield (Kingfountain #5)
  • Orphan Train Girl
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
  • Alone
    $17.99 $2.99
  • Gateway to Fourline (The Fourline Trilogy, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Scourge of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #3)
  • Period 8
    $6.74 $0.99
  • The Blight of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #2)
    $3.99 $2
  • The Forsaken Throne (Kingfountain #6)
  • How Dare the Sun Rise: Memoirs of a War Child
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Caraval (Caraval, #1)
  • Rebel Genius
    $6.38 $2.99
  • Dreamology
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Secret Hour (Midnighters, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Insignia (Insignia, #1)
  • Blood Rose Rebellion
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Unrivaled (Beautiful Idols #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Glass Magician (The Paper Magician Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Flamecaster (Shattered Realms, #1)
    $4.09 $1.99
  • The Wretched of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #1)
    $3.99 $2.00
  • The Most Dangerous Place on Earth
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Reluctant Queen (The Queens of Renthia #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • A Study in Charlotte (Charlotte Holmes, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • When You Reach Me
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Thief's Daughter (Kingfountain, #2)
    $3.99 $2
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
    $3.99 $2.00