Start by marking “Somebody Come and Play” as Want to Read:
Somebody Come and Play

Somebody Come and Play

"Come to the house!"

The Hollenbeck house was a place of tragedy. Two children disappeared, an old woman committed suicide. Cassie's mother told her never to go near the abandoned hulk, but her new friend Nicole knew a secret way into the ruin.

"Come and play!"

Nicole led Cassie, Diane and Lisa to a hidden toyroom filled with every plaything a little girl could desire. The gi
Published March 1st 1990 by Severn House Publishers (first published August 7th 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Somebody Come and Play, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Somebody Come and Play

Sandra
Jul 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary, horror
When her dog snatches her science project and runs away with it ten-year-old Cassie Larchmont follows her dog to an old Victorian mansion near the lake (Hollenbeck House). Her mother has told her to stay away from that house. (It is said that a crazy old woman, Myrtle, lives there and murdered her two children long ago and no one ever found their bodies.) When Cassie catches up with her dog an old lady (Myrtle) comes out of the mansion and mistakes Cassie for someone called Ellen and starts comi ...more
Rebecca McNutt
Mar 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, horror
This is one of the best of these old-school horror paperbacks that I've read in a long time, stepping out of the norm and providing more than just easy suspense.
Andrea
Nov 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
All I can say is that the author does know how to build the story, and dang it... it has some spooky parts, it was hard for me to put the book down! haha.
Olivia "Don't Blame Me I Voted for Hillary"
This was marvelously weird as good horror novels are. It's mainly about 10-year-old Cassie, her mother Carolyn, and the detective Robert. Carolyn has prohibited Cassie from going across the lake to this old mansion whose owner has hung herself. She says the house is evil and should be torn down. Cassie and her friends, however, meet a strange girl named Nicole and visit the house where there's a room full of toys. And that's only the beginning.
Red Lace Reviews
Cassie Larchmont's summer is just beginning, and when her friends finally arrive at Lake Solaria to begin their vacation, everything seems perfect. They've even made a new friend: Nicole Morgan, a girl that's eager to share a secret. There's a hidden toy-room in an old house, one that has dolls, paints and puzzles; everything to keep little girls busy. But it's not what it seems, and Nicole isn't too happy about sharing Cassie's friendship with Diane and Lisa.

(WARNING: This review contains minor
Jeanine
Apr 24, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, horror, own-it
Creepy child ghost, eerie story, quick read. Very good story.
Kiersta Barnes
My best friend I had in elementary school reread this book so many times that my mother took it away from us. Back then we found the book terrifying, but upon rereading it I can't imagine why. I suppose many little girls would be frightened of friends turning on them and a room full of so many amazing toys being evil!
Kilgallen
A pretty decent ghost story. It was written in the eighties and there are a few pop culture refrences that date the story line a bit. I also had a few questions about the dialogue that was being used. The main characters are 10 year old children but they often "sound" like adults in their speech patterns. Also a bit of an information dump/ hurried ending.
Kat Evans Hernandez
this is a chiller!!! I think the fact that it's children makes it all the more suspenseful!!!
Shannon Jensen
May 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Do not read this book at night. I have tried and it creeps me out!
Emily Newby
Feb 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Creepy. Scary. Tense.
Nicole
Dec 21, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is definitely a page turner the only thing I didn't like about it was the ending it all came to a close a little to quick but it was a very creepy concept!!
Helena
May 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this when I was 12, my mother had a tendency to pick these horror fiction books up at the grocery store. If you're into 80's horror-fiction, this is a nice find. It was so creepy in fact, that I never forgot it. It's right up there with the V.C. Andrews type of style absent the anthology. If you're a young girl who enjoys thriller or horror novels, this is great because it's written in the style and vernacular that a teen can understand. Very basic, but very spooky! One of my faves as a k ...more
Shannon Flynn
Sep 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorites. Genuinely scary and it taught me about orphan trains.
Stuart
Sep 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read this quite some years ago now.

A decent ghost story although probably showing its age now. Easy read that would probably appeal more to people in their teens.
Heather
Feb 10, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This just popped into my head today. I used to have this book and read it many many many times as a pre-teen.
From what I remember it was scary and mysterious that kept me at the edge of my seat.
Rachel Concklin
Apr 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
creepy and grate what a good read
MollyK
I have literally had this book on my shelf since at least 1989 and finally got around to reading it. Always a lot of action an mayhem in her books. Does read a bit dated though.
Dr. Awesome
Feb 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this book was totally captivating. I read the whole thing all in one sitting. A genuinely scary and disturbing story, filled with suspense and unexpected plot twists. Worth checking out.
Abby
Mar 19, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
If only I could somehow rate this lower than 1 star.
Megan P ☆
  • The Pet
  • Frankenstein Unbound
  • All Heads Turn When the Hunt Goes By
  • Elizabeth
  • Magical Justice (The Enchanted World Series)
  • Candle Bay
  • The Book of Christmas (The Enchanted World Series)
  • The Wrath of Fate: Book 1 of The Airship Pirate Chronicles
  • Black Cathedral (Department 18, #1)
  • Child's Play