Start by marking “Physics of the Soul: The Quantum Book of Living, Dying, Reincarnation, and Immortality” as Want to Read:

3.86  ·  Rating details ·  190 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
In an integration of science, spirituality, and consciousness, this book uses quantum physics to describe mystical concepts such as the immortality of the soul, reincarnation, and the afterlife. The author describes consciousness as more than an abstract concept - it is a reality that is primary and fundamental to science, and is his starting point for all scientific condu ...more
Published October 1st 2001 by Hampton Roads Publishing Company (first published September 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Physics of the Soul, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Physics of the Soul

Rama
Feb 20, 2014 rated it liked it
Metaphysics of soul

Consciousness and the laws of physics are highly intertwined to define physical reality. This relationship is murky since consciousness does not appear in any equations, although it is invoked in the interpretation of quantum phenomenon. Consciousness is not treated as a physical entity, like space and time (both of which can be measured in physical terms), and it does not have a physical existence like matter (or energy), but it is associated with living mater such as a human
Nathan
Sep 18, 2007 rated it really liked it
A good case for reincarnation from a scientific/quantum physics point of view. This makes a good companion to the Tibetan Book of the Dead and a good follow up for fans of The Self-Aware Universe.
c(g) starling
Aug 10, 2008 rated it really liked it
almost as good as "The Self-Aware Universe." Goswami is quantum, is science, is philosophy. His approach is universal, but beyond all that new wave garbage fads. READ THESE BOOKS.h
Cameron
Nov 09, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: finished
Like many others before him, Dr. Goswami attempts to use quantum physics to describe everything spiritual. Unfortunately he resorts to confusing language and overgeneralization with physics nomenclature that results in illogical conclusions. This book is just a restatement of much that has been written many times before. I can't believe that Chopra calls him "one of the most brilliant minds in the world of science." What does that say about Chopra...not much, unfortunately.
Cindy DeJager
Nov 30, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This should be read first before reading the Tibetan Book of the Dead. Goswami is thorough and easily understood. A great book.
Maciej Gierada
Dec 19, 2015 rated it it was ok
The arguments that quantum physic can explain reincarnation and immortality do not seem to be convincing.
Lavender
May 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book. Anyone questioning life after death needs to read. Author does an excellent job of correlating all religious beliefs within his theory
Cara
Jan 01, 2018 rated it it was ok
I struggled to get through this book because I don't believe in reincarnation. His explanations felt like he was stretching to make it fit into the data, but in the end all of his "proof" solidified my own beliefs in resurrection, and ironically in God's plan that we can become like Him someday.
Katie Sibley
Dec 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
While reading Physics of the Soul by Amit Goswami, I was excited upon reading the optimism of theories such as reincarnation and immortality. I loved the clear connection of how physics plays into our everyday meaning of life and religion. But after I finished reading, I realized Goswami's attempts to give sound scientific reason to spiritual tradition were intriguing and yet lacked consistency and originality. He used broad and extensive language to describe metaphysical and quantum physical t ...more
Giovanni Gigliozzi Bianco
The book is physically wrong, logically inconsistent, spiritually poor. I am not a materialist. In fact, I believe in consistent forms of integration between authentic religion, good science and good philosophy. There is none of these things in the work of Amit Goswami. I do not doubt that your intentions are good, but I think he is deeply lost in his absurd speculation.
Stephanie
Dec 22, 2012 rated it it was ok
Amit Goswami is someone I really admire. I agree with many of the ideas he has proposed in his other works, and he is clearly a great physicist. He wrote this book because he felt he was meant to prove that the Tibetan book of the dead is true.

So... did he do it?

Not even close. But he did manage to convince me that he really-really-really believes all of these things.
Jef
Dec 14, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: mooched
I think I know this guy. He at least knows Bob McGowan and he is familiar with the RCA. Anyway, he carries the ideas of the collapse of the quantum field as the foundation of the soul way into the realm of the Hindu mythology and AS SUCH it is an interesting read. Frankly he lost me after the Quantum Monad and I'm not sure I understand all of the nuances that he has posited.
Nichole
May 12, 2008 rated it it was ok
The first third of the book was thick, and was able to keep up with the science and the spiritual speak - but intersecting the two was difficult. I skipped ahead and read a few pages here and there and decided to call it quits. This wasn't for me. Would much rather spend my time with another book.
Molly
Jan 17, 2015 rated it liked it
this book was interesting, but it was a letdown. i suppose i was silly for expecting a clear, undeniable position for reincarnation. but some of the points Goswami makes really upset me, and the dense science is simply not for me.
Nancy Smith
Jun 04, 2012 rated it liked it
I read this one section at a time. Took a while to digest many of the pieces of information. The re-write of the tibetan book of the dead is priceless. recommend getting the book for just that...
BISWADEEP CHOUDHURY
Heather Plunkett
Sep 24, 2009
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Science and the Akashic Field: An Integral Theory of Everything
  • The End of Materialism: How Evidence of the Paranormal Is Bringing Science & Spirit Together
  • The Dreaming Universe: A Mind-Expanding Journey into the Realm Where Psyche and Physics Meet
  • Twenty Cases Suggestive of Reincarnation, 2D
  • Synchronicity: Science, Myth, and the Trickster
  • The Integral Vision: A Very Short Introduction to the Revolutionary Integral Approach to Life, God, the Universe, and Everything
  • The Physics of Immortality: Modern Cosmology, God and the Resurrection of the Dead
  • Raja Yoga or Mental Development
  • Cheiro's Palmistry for All: The Classic of Palmistry: A Practical Work on the Study of the Lines of the Hand
  • Studies in Occultism
  • The Stormy Search for the Self
  • A Search in Secret Egypt
  • The Ultimate Journey: Consciousness and the Mystery of Death
  • What Happens When We Die?: A Groundbreaking Study into the Nature of Life and Death
  • God And The Evolving Universe
  • Mysticism and the New Physics
  • The Physics Of Consciousness: The Quantum Mind And The Meaning Of Life
  • The Occult Anatomy of Man
Amit Goswami is a nuclear physicist and member of The University of Oregon Institute for Theoretical Physics since 1968. Dr. Goswami is a revolutionary in a growing body of renegade scientists who in recent years have ventured into the domain of the spiritual in an attempt both to interpret the seemingly inexplicable findings of their experiments and to validate their intuitions about the existenc ...more
More about Amit Goswami

$10.74 $2.99
    $13.99 $1.99
    $5.99 $1.99
    $8.24 $1.99
  • How to Travel with a Salmon & Other Essays (A Harvest Book)
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Out of Africa and Shadows on the Grass
    $11.99 $2.99
  • The Kingdom by the Sea: A Journey Around the Coast of Great Britain
  • The War That Ended Peace: The Road to 1914
    $6.99 $2.99
  • No Limits: Blow the CAP Off Your Capacity
    $9.99 $2.99
“The new paradigm posits instead a monism based on the primacy of consciousness-that consciousness (variously called Spirit, God, Godhead, Ain Sof, Tao, Brahman, etc., in popular and spiritual traditions), not matter, is the ground of all being; it is a monism based on a consciousness that is unitive and transcendent but one that becomes many in sentient beings such as us. We are that consciousness. All the world of experience, including matter, is the material manifestation of transcendent forms of consciousness.” 2 likes
“All the world of experience, including matter, is the material manifestation of transcendent forms of consciousness.” 2 likes