Start by marking “My Big Little Golden Book About God” as Want to Read:
My Big Little Golden Book About God

My Big Little Golden Book About God

4.35  ·  Rating details ·  7,122 Ratings  ·  51 Reviews
This poetic book illustrates how even the tiniest things that we might take for granted, like the “jewels on the insect’s back,” are part of God’s great plan. A comforting, gentle introduction to the concept of God, it is one of the most beautifully written and illustrated books on the Golden list.

From the Hardcover edition.
Library Binding, 32 pages
Published January 10th 2006 by Golden Inspirational (first published January 1st 1956)

Sara
Ah, what do I remember about a book I read before I was even old enough to go to Kindergarten? I was able to read at a very young age. I've been told I even went to Sunday School during this time but, oddly enough, I have no memory of that whatsoever.

What I remember about this book is a sunny, warm day. The kind of day that is perfect for swinging in your tire swing (It was a red plastic tire swing which of course I remember going to the store to buy but, oddly enough, no memory of going to Sund
Susan
May 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am just a sucker for this golden books with their big-headed children living gently in quiet worlds. These are very soothing books to look at as a child, they don't engage your imagination, they don't require much from you except a turn of a page. Sometimes a quiet book is a very nice thing.
Kathryn
May 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely beautiful!!! I read this as part of a collection of Golden Books illustrated by Wilkin. Though her illustrations are always charming, I felt these had a special glow about them and Watson's wording is far prettier and warmer than most of the other Golden Books from that era. These contain the "updated" illustrations Wilkin made in the '60s, I believe, to include multi-cultural children. Absolutely stunning and heartwarming!!! A classic not to be missed!
Sharon
Jan 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I bought this book as an introduction to God to my daughter. I am not a religious person in the sense that I go to church but I do believe in God and I wanted a way to start telling her about the subject. I was not sure how she would take to the book, but she loves it and has read it on a regular basis and started to ask questions on the subject of God.

It is a fairly easy book for young readers with beautiful illustrations to go along with a message of love and positivity.
Glen O'Brien
I read this profound little book to my children when they were small and bought a copy for my grand daughter as well. How many books about God first published in 1956 are still in print today? Yet this can still be had at any Woolworths store for less than three dollars. The text by Jane Werner Watson is simple but childlike in its trust. The marvelous drawings by the incomparable Eloise Wilkin remain moving and quietly meditative with their large cherubic faces marvelling at creation's wonders ...more
Marisa Bennett
I just re-purchased this book on eBay for $3.00 because I needed to have a copy. I remembered this year, after seeing a picture of it, that I had it when I was little, and that I turned the prayers into songs at night with my mother by my bed.
Southernbelle0326
Another one of my favorite books as a child.
Becky
First sentence: GOD IS GREAT.

Premise/plot: Originally published in the 1950s, My Little Golden Book About God is a picture book for young children about GOD. The book is written is simple, yet detailed too. All in rhyme as well.

My thoughts: It is not theological in nature. But I'm not convinced it has to be or needs to be. It is not a gospel presentation or tract. It is not a catechism. It is a story parents can share with their children, perhaps even as a bedtime story. I do think it is impor
Jamie
Sep 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jamie by: My dear Aunt Debbie bought it for me when I was probably 4
I LOVE this book. I remember rec. it as a gift as a very young child and I loved the pictures and about wore it out looking at it over and over. It was a gift from my Aunt who passed away while I was pregnant. My daughter shares her middle name. My heart stopped while at the store one day and I saw that little girl with her big head! Of course I had to buy it for my daughter. We read it again and again, I love it.
Edelweiss
I love this book - warm and gentle, God in the simplest terms and truths. Why make it complicated?

'He gives us a small, still voice in our hearts to help us tell wrong from right. God gives us hopes and wishes and dreams, plans for our grown-up years ahead.
He gives us memories of yesterdays, so that happy times and people we love we can keep with us always in our hearts. For GOD IS LOVE.'

'When we're hurt or sorry or lonely or sad, if we think of God, He is with us there.'
ABC
Jun 19, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: younger-kids
This book is just oozing with sweetness. The version we read dates from 1980, and while it is multicultural it mostly has pictures of white kids. There are a few black kids.

It does of course talk about God, and in a comforting manner. It doesn't mention Jesus, so it is good for many religions.
Robert
Jun 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Robert by: flowers22
While written for children, this book has something for everyone. Reading just now, it has provided some perspective to the messed up weekend I have had.

God is indeed great. We need to remember that even when everything seems so bad. That is a timeless message.

Yes, this is a very good book.
Nichole
Dec 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful story. Multicultural, considering the time it was written and illustrated, shows children of different ethnicities and some different parts of the world. Although it is about God, it is pretty vague, so can fit in with different belief systems.
Tanya W
A non-denominational book about God... easily adaptable to my own belief... I say Heavenly Father in place of God when I read it to my children as it seems more personal to me. Has a sweet rhythm and engenders gratitude for this beautiful world and all creation.
De Leeroy
May 02, 2010 added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
that no matter what, how terrible it is, whatever happens to you in life the sun will still come up the next day like it has for millions of years. the mountains will be there the rivers will still flow and you will have survived. i still read this as an adult
Oct 17, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Young children
This is one of the first books I ever remember"reading". it was one of the books we were allowed to have in church...I followed that with 2 of the kids. Katrina has a tendency to rip, so she can['t have this one yet. This brings back memories of OLF's crying room....
Brenda
Jul 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love, Love, Love this book. A great introduction to God for little ones and the illustrations are by Eloise Wilkin, one of my most favorite children's books illustrators.
Angie Bollard
Aug 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I remember the last page of this book to this day. The picture is so beautiful.
K.S.R.
Oct 13, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My children often lost interest during in the words of the book, but we enjoyed identifying the images on the pages, which are sweet and peaceful to look at.
Melinda
Jan 26, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Illustrated I think by Eloise Wilkin. I love the illustrations and I love the peaceful confidence and trust it shows towards God. I want my children to know there is a Creator who loves us.
Ellen
May 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
This is my girls' favorite book. we made up a song for the p[oem in the back and we sing it every night before lights out!!
Bree
May 10, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: toddler-books
Notes:
sweet illustrations with sweet text
Rebecca
Feb 28, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love the beautiful illustrations, very nice text and concepts that are simple for little children. A way to introduce God's love through the simple things. Well enjoyed here!
Rachel Kraus
May 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I picked this book up to read to my daughter I expected there to be some pretty iffy theological content but it was so good! I teared up a little and I love that there are pictures of white and black children. Such a precious book with truths about God.
Nicki
I love the message, but the words are awkward at times. Is it prose or rhyme? And some of the eyes in the drawings of the children are creepy.
Andy Hickman
"My Big Little Golden Book About God" by Jane Werner Watson.
One of my earliest memories.
Lori
May 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
This is a perfect choice. It has a sugary rhythm that attracts many. I had this book as a child and I remember looking at it over and over. Today, I still love the multicultural illustrations. And doesn't every little girl love pigtails, braids and bugs?
~Gen hearts books.~
I purchased this book for my oldest daughter years ago, and to my surprise, we still have it. It is still in good condition too. I remember reading this book when I was a child. I had a lot of Little Golden Books. This one was one of my favorites. It is a good book about God and his love for us. It shows how we can see and feel the love of God all around us, all the time. I really like the illustrations. This is a short, sweet and heartwarming book. I recommend it to anyone who is interested in ...more
Alisha Brook
Nov 11, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Title: My Little Golden Book About God
Series: Little Golden Books
Author: Jane Werner Watson
Genre: Children's
Rating: 1 star

A great childhood story. Not one of my faves though. Ultimately out of all the Little Golden Books collection that I read as a child, this was probably the one I liked the least.
A.C. Bauch
I had high hopes for this book, because I was a huge fan of Little Golden Books as a child. However, I found the story mundane, at best, and the illustrations... well, I found many of the illustrations of children creepy. They looked like pod people or something, with their wide, vacant stares. So color me disappointed.
  • Prayers for Children
  • The Little Red Caboose
  • I Can Fly
  • The Gingerbread Man
  • Three Little Kittens
Children's writer Jane Werner Watson (1915-2004) was born in Fond du Lac, Wis. She earned a B.A. in English in 1936 from the University of Wisconsin, began a career in publishing, and became a prolific writer who specialized in non-fiction.

She was one of the first editors for the original Golden Books series, and wrote books for Disney series.

She also wrote under the names Elsa Jane Werner Watso