Start by marking “An Almond for a Parrot” as Want to Read:
An Almond for a Parrot

An Almond for a Parrot

3.71  ·  Rating details ·  902 Ratings  ·  177 Reviews
I would like to make myself the heroine of this story and my character to be noble - an innocent victim led astray. But alas sir, I would be lying...Tully Truegood: Orphan, Magician's apprentice, Whore. In prison, accused of murder, Tully begins to write her life story. A story that takes her from a young daughter-skivvy in the back streets of 18th Century London to her st ...more
Published February 28th 2017 by Mira Books (first published 2016)

To ask other readers questions about An Almond for a Parrot, please sign up.
Emily I don't believe we ever did. Captain Truegood, when he told Tully, announced that Tully was already 'aboard' when her mother met him.

Amalia Gavea
‘’Alas, we players are unaware that the curtain goes up the minute we take our first gulps of air; the screams of rage our only hopeless comments on being born onto such a barren stage.’

This novel was a severe case of ‘I fell in love with the cover and I regret nothing.’ Instant love. When I read the blurb, I thought this was a great opportunity to renew my relationship with Historical Fiction works set in the 18th century, an era when seduction, decadence, and the joie-de-vivre- way of life w
An Almond for a Parrot is an interesting mix of erotic romance, historical fiction, and magical realism set in 18th century London. This novel opens in the story's present-day with our narrator/heroine in prison for murder. She takes readers back to the beginning, where everything began...when she was married off at the age of 12. Don't worry, you won't be reading anything sexual at this age, but as with many women of that time who sought both survival and independence, her sexual awakening bega ...more
Aditi
“The gods made our bodies as well as our souls, is it not so? They give us voices, so we might worship them with song. They give us hands, so we might build them temples. And they give us desire, so we might mate and worship them in that way.”

----George R.R. Martin

Wray Delaney, pen name for Sally Gardner, an award-winning British children's author, has penned an intriguing and a very sizzling historical fiction called, An Almond for a Parrot that revolves around a young woman in London locked
Michael
Dec 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
1756, London in Newgate prison, Tully Truegood is awaiting trial for the alleged shooting of her husband. How she got to be in the position is an exuberant and titillating story of despair leading to debauchery, magic, and murder. Tully faces a world full of misogyny and hypocrisy as her father puts her through misery as a child and then at the age of 12 is married off to clear a debt.

Tully's change from being the daughter of a drunken gambler to one of living a life of indulgence as a sought-af
Aoife

I received a free copy of this book from Harper Collins in exchange for an honest review.

It’s 1756 and Tully Truegood is languishing in prison, accused of murder. In Tully’s own words, she writes down her story so those reading can understand her actions. From ignored daughter to famed and beloved courtesan, the reader follows Tully through the high and lows of your young life until eventually arriving to how she ended up behind bars.

This is an absolute fantastic book that had me hooked
Allison
Jan 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Pure erotic historical fiction goodness. A touch of magic as well!
Karen Mace
Aug 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paperbacks, arc
Lucky enough to be sent a copy of this from the publishers, Harper Collins, in return for a fair and honest review.

I was surprised at how much I enjoyed this book!! Set around 1756, it starts in Newgate prison as we meet Tully Truegood who is awaiting trial for murder. So she sets out to tell us her story - and what a story it is!!

This isn't a light and fluffy book! It features some very graphic sexual scenes, but not over the top as Tully starts her journey from her very grim background, with a
Nicki Markus
Dec 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-historical
An Almond for a Parrot is an interesting book that blends magical realism into a tale along the lines of Fanny Hill. The story entertained me from start to finish and I was keen to see how Tully's journey would end. I did find some of the sexual euphemisms a little too flowery language-wise for my taste; its purple prose dragged me out of the story several times. Also, the ending, when it came, felt a tad rushed compared to the earlier pacing. However, regardless of these minor gripes, it was en ...more
Angie Rhodes
Sep 29, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Tully Truegood is an orphan, and a whore, she also sees ghosts, works with an ageing Magician and is soon the talk of the town.
I found this hard to read, for the simple reason, it tried to be too many things, and it was all jumbled up. Some readers will love it, I personally would not have picked it to buy,
Emma
Aug 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting departure for Sally Gardner in this raunchy, magical, Georgian set novel with a lingering mystery at its heart. Incredible writing, an unforgettable character evolution in the lead, Tully, and an ending so bittersweet it's hard to know what to think.
Triduana
May 28, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Having read the premise of this book in the library, I was expecting some kind of historical crime mystery. What I got was part crime mystery, part fantasy, part erotic novel and part family saga. It seemed as if the author wasn't entirely sure which genre to follow, and so it became a bit of a muddle. The different genres never really blended together, it was either one thing or another, so while we were trying to work out her past the crime got forgotten, while we were 'entertaining' her past ...more
Hannah
Jun 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I mean, I do think this book does have a lot of flaws - such as like some characters having more development than others, lots of underdeveloped plot lines, introducing a character and developing them and their relationship to the main character; only to barely write about them later in the book, and an ending that felt too neat to belong to this novel.

I note I did really enjoy this book, especially the writing in this book, the atmosphere, as Sally Gardner/Wray Delaney's books kind of pale in c
Storyheart
Crimson Petal & the White meets Tipping the Velvet with a dash of magic to spice the mix. 3.5 stars of enjoyable reading.
Benjamin Thomas
The novel opens in the year 1756 with the heroine of the story, Tully Truegood, locked up in Newgate prison, awaiting trial for murder. I don’t use that word “heroine” lightly but even though Tully herself denies it, I disagree and think the term is appropriate. The story is told in the form of a first person written account of what led her to be incarcerated at Newgate, but just whose murder she is accused of remains a mystery for most of the novel.

To be honest, I didn’t expect to like this nov
Tracy Rowan
Apr 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: romance readers, historical fans
Recommended to Tracy by: advance reader's copy
I began this with a certain amount of uncertainty because I had the sense that it was a Moll Flanders knock-off. And certainly there are echoes of Moll's story in this piqaresque novel/romance of Tully Truegood, but the tale here is warmer and much more appealing to the contemporary reader than Defoe's novel. Tully is warmer, certainly than the eponymous Moll, and while she loses her innocence and becomes a worldly woman in the course of the novel, she never becomes hardened to life.

Briefly, An
Shelbycat
Jul 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this book from the publishers in return for an honest review.
This is the story of Tully Truegood a young girl who has the power to see and make others see spirits, which she uses to great effect during this book. During her life she is a drudge for her drunk and violent father, she is a loved step daughter, and a whore of great repute.
I really enjoyed this historical novel by Wray Delaney, her first adult novel so far, and i hope not her last. The only reason i knocked off one star w
Kristen McDermott
A formulaic romance, but a well-told one that finds a clever balance between the supernatural and the historical. The eroticism is handled with taste and emotion, and the main character is predictably but believably plucky. Pleasant, escapist fare.
Jul 03, 2017 rated it did not like it
I love a good historical smut book, but I couldn't handle all the talk of body parts being root vegetables. I was giggling and rolling my eyes, which probably wasn't what was supposed to happen.

And, ewww, child prostitution.
Noodles78
Jul 31, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Found this an interesting read. Part Crimson Petal and part Night Circus, this took me on a journey that I sometimes found a bit anxious and I had to put down. But I always had to pick back up again as I HAD to know what happened next.
Les Romantiques
Mar 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Posted on Les Romantiques - Le forum du site
Reviewed by Jazzmen
Review Copy from the Publisher

This novel takes place in the eighteenth century, in London. The story begins while Tully Truegood, the heroine, is in jail for murder, but she hasn’t been judged yet. She decides to tell us, readers and another character, about her life and why she is here.
It’s not part of a series.
I didn’t know this author and I was absolutely delighted to discover her and her story was definitely fascinating! I was bl
Tripfiction
Sep 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novels-set-in-uk
Novel set in 18th Century LONDON (a titillating read)

This is the first adult novel to be penned by the acclaimed children’s writer, Sally Gardner and I, for one, fervently hope that it’s not her last. Think a captivating blend of Fanny Hill and the best of Sarah Waters. Delaney’s novel takes the reader to 18th century London and brings to life the rat-infested overcrowded prisons and hovels of the poor as vividly as she does the bejewelled and glittering upper class brothels or the stately mansi
Alyssia Cooke
Mar 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you pick this up anticipating a murder mystery or a thriller then you may well be disappointed. I was certainly surprised; this was not the book I thought it was going to be by a long way. It is undoubtedly erotica at multiple points, although the descriptions are delicately handled by and large. Most of all it is the story of a life and from the moment you first meet the murder victim, you can’t help but think he deserved everything he got.

Tully is a girl who can do the impossible; she can m
M João (Livros?gosto)
Na brilhante capa de Memórias de uma cortesão de Wray Delaney está escrito, e cito: “ Um conto de fadas erótico para adultos”. E é mesmo.
O livro, embora de 2016, parece um clássico inglês do século XVIII onde se juntam as festas, o poder dos homens nobres, o declínio dos jogadores e a exploração das mulheres pelas figuras masculinas.
Tully é uma jovem fogosa ignorada pelo pai e que acaba, por força dos acontecimentos, por se tornar meretriz. Ela para além de ser uma mulher lindíssima, sem compl
Emma
1.5 STARS

I was fooled by the awesome cover and the intriguing blurb! I was expecting a dark and gritty, 18th century murder mystery with a paranormal twist....I got poorly written penis metaphors and the most boring...like can I even call it ”erotica” when it wasn’t even 0.5% hot???...hm, well historical romance with lots and dull sex scenes I guess is a more accurate description. So yes, colour me disappointed.

The blurb does state that Tully is a whore, among other things, so I expected parts o
Julia Wilson
Jul 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An Almond For A Parrot by Wray Delaney is an epic historical novel set in the mid eighteenth century in England. It is the tale of one woman, awaiting her fate in Newgate prison. The novel begins in present day and then sweeps backwards, before travelling forwards in chronological order. The reader 'walks' through her life as the story is told in the first person.
The reader 'experiences' life in eighteenth century London - it's sights, smells and poverty. It is comprehensively described, enablin
Elliot A
This book was suggested in the Goodreads blog post “The Contenders for the Best Audiobooks of the Year” and the narrator, Rachel Atkins, does a remarkable job bringing this story to life. Sadly, the story itself wasn’t for me. Throughout most of the book I felt lost and confused as to what was actually going on and which genre(s) the story was trying to fit into.
I’m very torn about what to say about the characters, because when I think about them individually and separated from the story, they w
High Plains Library District
An Almond for a Parrot is a historical novel with high language and setting appeals. The author does a fantastic job building the world of 1700s London, the intrigues present in high society, and the social injustices present in the era and location. The main character is also well developed, as she grows from child to adult in a time where women are considered things, and morality is highly hypocritical. Those who love intense historical novels with some humor thrown in would greatly enjoy this ...more
Ruby Bailey
Aug 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
best book I've read in forver!!!
Marguerite Kaye
This might be the earliest I've abandoned a book, so I can't possibly crit it. Simply not for me.
Patrícia Braz

• Searching for Grace Kelly
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Bricking It
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Elephant Keeper's Daughter
  • The Virtues of Oxygen
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Home to Harmony (Harmony #1)
    $11.14 $1.99
  • Dog Crazy
  • The Towers of Tuscany
  • The Noticer: Sometimes, all a person needs is a little perspective
  • Who We Were Before
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Reluctant Midwife (Hope River, #2)
    $10.49 $1.99
  • Sin No More (Reverend Curtis Black)
    $10.39 $1.99
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fat Chance
  • Just a Couple of Days
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The Boleyn Inheritance (The Tudor Court, #3)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • A Scattered Life
  • Every Ugly Word
  • A Memory of Violets: A Novel of London's Flower Sellers
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Desert God (Ancient Egypt, #5)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Woman Who Breathed Two Worlds (Malayan #1)
  • An Amish Buggy Ride
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Secret Healer (The Secret Healer #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Elizabeth Street
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Gates of Rome (Emperor, #1)
  • The Unkillable Kitty O'Kane
  • It Is Well
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Sinful Calling (Reverend Curtis Black #13)
  • On a Cold Dark Sea
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Lady Viper (Tales from the Tudor Court #1)
  • Kings of Broken Things
  • Edward Adrift
  • The Restaurant Critic's Wife
    $3.99 $1.99
“All those probabilities were distant clouds that had no right to be in such a blue sky as mine.” 1 likes
“We players are unaware that the curtain goes up the minute we take our first gulps of our” 0 likes