Start by marking “Triggers: Creating Behavior That Lasts--Becoming the Person You Want to Be” as Want to Read:
Triggers: Creating Behavior That Lasts--Becoming the Person You Want to Be

Triggers: Creating Behavior That Lasts--Becoming the Person You Want to Be

Bestselling author and one of the world’s foremost executive coaches, Marshall Goldsmith examines the emotional and psychological triggers that cause us to react and behave in certain preset, often inappropriate ways at work and in life. Triggers shows us how to break that cycle and enact meaningful change.

In Triggers, renown executive coach and psychologist Marshall Golds

Audiobook, Unabridged Audiobook
Published May 19th 2015 by Random House Audio

To ask other readers questions about Triggers, please sign up.

Dennis Fischman
Marshall Goldsmith suggests that each day, we ask ourselves six questions:

1. Did I do my best to set clear goals today?
2. Did I do my best to make progress toward my goals today?
3. Did I do my best to find meaning today?
4. Did I do my best to be happy today?
5. Did I do my best to build positive relationships today?
6. Did I do my best to be fully engaged today?

The rest of the book discusses what it means to do these six things, why it's so hard to keep focused on them, why it's important anyway,
Ryan
Jul 04, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2015
Nothing substantive here beyond basic will power. Some people just don't have it.. and need coached? Seems like it's really bent towards naive, well-to-do, spoiled-rotten exec types. Not geared towards anyone who has ever had to make an ounce of budget decisions in regards to food or housing.
Yodamom
Nov 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5Very interesting look at what triggers us to act or react certain ways. I breezed through not taking time to practice the techniques and I still grasped some of the loops the author presented. Many of the stories do involve corporate persons but they are easily transferred to any person from corporate to home. I enjoyed the stories, the easy to follow steps and the tempo of the book. This is one I will re-read several times
Ron Mcintyre
May 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: leadership
While there are no innovative thoughts, it does contain a wealth of practical, actionable steps that people can use to change and grow. I will be adapting some of his logic with my clients because they are down to earth and focused. Developing into leaders that help shape the 21st century is no easy task and we can use all the help that people can provide. This book provides some excellent tidbits.

The best takeaway for me was: "When we dive all the way into adult behavioral change-with 100% foc
Helen Wilfehrt
Jun 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I finished this book faster than any other I've started reading recently. The writing is straight forward and easy to read. The topic may be a "doh" to some but to those of us used to living in our heads, either intellectually or emotionally, or both, there is a certain "aha" sensation that can be derived from the author's teachings. I found his perspective and manner of putting things to be quite helpful me as I navigate my life.
Kathleen
Aug 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yes, this book has "executives" as its focus.

No, it doesn't matter.

Marshall Goldsmith, a management consultant, explains how to develop and maintain good habits -- and it's all about certain kinds of mindfulness and structure.
Catherine Read
Jul 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm a Marshall Goldmsith fan. I loved his book "What Got You Here, Won't Get You There" and have recommended it to many people. This book is useful only if you are focused on wanting to get more out of your life. It's one of those instances where the student needs to be ready in order for the teacher to appear. Those who read it with no intention of actually changing anything about how they think or structure their days will quite likely miss the point of this book. While Goldsmith is indeed a v ...more
Jennifer Ridgway
This review originally appeared on Everyday eBook

Become a Better You: Triggers by Marshall Goldsmith

Change is hard. Change is even harder when you are trying to modify your behavior. Habits have become a popular subject in books; it seems as though we are always trying to find the easy way to change them, whether it is quitting smoking, starting a new exercise program, or becoming a more active, positive contributor during our work meetings. Marshall Goldsmith's latest book, Triggers: Creating B
Sherry Elswick
Sep 11, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Blah. No. Just no. I couldn't get into this book so I quickly gave up on it despite an intriguing book jacket summary that wooed me to explore how if you can identify "situational triggers" you can change your behavior. That's a good premise. The author Marshall Goldsmith has years of experience as an executive coach, so I don't doubt his idea. But he has a certain style--a certain je nais se quoi about him that is off putting. I don't want to waste my time forcing myself to read this book as a ...more
Oleksandr Golovatyi
An interesting book from one of the best coach of the world of Marshal Goldsmith. The book is full of stories and examples, read simply and easy. Especially remembered the method of "motivational questions" and improvement through "structure". In a word, the book will be worthy of the place of the best readers of 2018 year-olds.
---------------
Цікава книга від одного з найкращих коучів світу Маршала Голдсміта. Книга сповнена історіями та прикладами, читається просто та легко. Особливо запам'ятала
Kate Audsley
The first 3 chapters of this book were very strong and easy to follow and completely applicable to anyone with behavior, and I had really excited positive feelings thinking that eventhough this is written with those in business in mind I'm so excited that it could bring understanding to even a full time mom like me (as I was recommended it by another mom). Plus, it is a goal of mine to read more non-fiction this year.
But this wasn't to be. By chapter 6 or 7 this book took a very sharp and comple
Wendy Bunnell
There is a group at my office who reads and discusses business books a couple times a year. This was our latest book, and I just finished. The "Reader Leaders" group usually has bigger turnout for our Ted Talk meetings or shorter articles than for full books, so it will be interesting to see how many of my coworkers make it through this one. It was ok.

I liked the information presented, even though it wasn't anything groundbreaking. I liked the 6 questions and the intentional phrasing of "have I
Inna
Наскільки добре я впорався vs. Наскільки сильно я старався

Поки читала згадувала, як колись в університетські роки мала досвід перекладу книжки чи з десяток її розділів з англійської на українську. Чому згадала? Бо робилося це, як завжди у студентів, за одну ніч. От подекуди сидиш, позіхаєш, підбираєш найбільш схожий на правду відповідник терміну чи звороту і час від часу розумієш, що картинка не складається, що сенс речення чи навіть абзацу просто вислизає від тебе. Так от зараз мені здалося, що
Charmin
Highlights:
1. Good things happen when we ask ourselves what we need to create, preserve, eliminate, and accept – a test I suspect few of us ever self-administer. *Discovering what really matters is a gift, not a burden*. Accept it and see.

2. 1-to-1 Meeting Questions: Where are we going? Where are you going? What is going well? Where can we improve? How can I help you? How can you help me?

3. When we have structure, we don’t have to make as many choices; we just follow the plan. And the net resul
Jurgen Appelo
Jan 19, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: habits
Good message, actionable practice, but the endless humility became annoying.
Nicki
Oct 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I typically read books like this via audiobook so it was interesting to read one in the normal way for once. Although it was a bit self-helpy I really enjoyed Goldsmith, especially his anecdotes about working with various CEOs and power players over the years. What I found unique about this book, as opposed to others in the field, was that Goldsmith works with successful people who are used to their habits and behaviors generally resulting in meeting their goals. So, the advice was tailored to p ...more
Katrusya
Nov 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ще один камінець у підмурівки зміни. Зауважила за собою - кількість книг, що спонукають мене до просвітлення, цитати з яких хочеться написати собі на чолі маркером - геть не відповідають кількості впроваджених змін ( сарказм).

Ця - практична у всіх сенсах, мені подобається мислення автора не тільки тим, що воно відрізняється від співчуття мого психотерапевта. Читаючи її в час радості і в час безнадії, я бачу, як усе це працює чи не працює. Я злюся або надихаються, але я завжди схильна перечитати
lovemonicarose
Jul 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was fun! I thought I wouldn't learn anything new because self help books ya know, but I did! Color me surprised
Jill Frederickson
This is an amazing book about Adult behavior change. It addresses goal pursuit and more importantly interpersonal relationship improvement. There are simple and strongly effective tools laid out to try it for yourself. I went back and reread many sections to better understand them and implement them for myself. I suspect that I will be returning to this book and recommending it to others for some time to come.
Ryan Dejonghe
Sep 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
TRIGGERS is one of the most important books of 2015 for both business and personal betterment, namely in enacting adult behavioral change. As author Marshall Goldsmith writes, “Fate is the hand of cards we’ve been dealt. Choice is how we play the hand.” This book helps us to overcome many of the obstacles we may already know about and then lets us triumph with lasting change by making effective choices.

“I’d go so far as to say that adult behavioral change is the most difficult thing for sentient
Robin
Nov 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really interesting and useful. Written in an engaging and easy style - Goldsmith asks the reader to consider who and how he or she wants to be in the world, and shares the strategies he has used with corporate clients to help them reach their goals. (First, how amazing would it be to work for a company that was willing to pay someone to help you with this?)

Things I want to remember:

Did you do your best to be happy?
Did you do your best to find meaning?
Did you do your best to build positive relati
Brandi
Apr 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bookclub, non-fiction
Nudges. Being aware of the affordances of our environment. The Fundamental Attribution Error. Ego depletion...parts of this book read like a slightly outdated rehashing of Psychology 101. But parts of it were really intriguing to me, if only because he and I have mulled over a lot of the same questions--how do you get adults to change their behavior?--and independently built a lot of the same models. Though his were based on work coaching executives and mine based on interviews with people tryin ...more
Jai
Dec 14, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Borrowed from library - I'm on a productiveness self-help kick this year. This book is mostly about how easy it is to slide back to old behaviors despite your best intentions to do better in some aspect of your life. It's easy to rationalize and make excuses, so the basic idea is to really track your effort and through that keep yourself more accountable: are you REALLY trying? And what external factor may be affecting us?
I give this book high points for pointing out something obvious yet someth
Abdulhamid AlAttar
kind of books that you feel sad when you about to finish it.
reading The Power of Habit and Thinking Fast and Slow helps you build a deeper understanding. though the idea of the book is simple but how to apply it in your daily life (work or personal) needs work.
people dont change untill they believe they want to change. couldn't help my brain wondering a lot about how to apply the concepts and how to evolve the ideas to match my day to day. week to week and year to year. how to help people around
Sergei_kalinin
Apr 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Книга написана по схеме "проблема-решение", причем в качестве проблемы обозначен вопрос: "Почему взрослому человеку так сложно изменить свое поведение?". Авторы изучают внутренние (установки) и внешние (триггеры) барьеры, которые блокируют наши изменения.

После чего предлагают технику ежедневных активных вопросов, которая помогает сдвинуть наше саморазвитие с мертвой точки. Техника не новая и вполне эффективная, но это лишь одна из техник :).

В целом книга - неплохой вариант применения идей и те
Inna Kuprienko
Jan 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Це саме той нон-фікшн, який варто читати! Вперше читавши її, я дуже швидко пролистувала сторінку за сторінкою, ніяк не могла зупинитися, проковтнула її за 2 дні. Можете запитати чому ж якщо вона така класна, я не використовувала її потенціалу та тієї корисної інформації та порад? Я відповім))) Тому що дуже вже я швидко її прочитала, от ніби і у захваті і хоч сьогодні приступай до виконання порад, та все ж відволіклася і так вона й пролежала в мене пару місяців( а зараз знову перечитую і це як сп ...more
Tatiana Kim
Sometimes you read the book and it answers all you questions. Even if you feel how to do something but you need to structure the answer in your head. Last couple of months i tried to manage my relationship with son. he is toddler at the age when every no and yes can make him cry and shout. And i didn't know how to react and in some cases i started to feel annoyance that i didn't want to feel, i started to ask myself if i did all my best to be patient? i managed to change myself and my son change ...more
Mara Vernon
Dec 24, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I found myself disagreeing with some of the content of this book; enough that I really didn't care for the book. Some of the content I find contrary to other researchers in the realm of positive psychology, behavioral change, and wholehearted living. I also found the book overly focused on the author himself.
Bjoern Rochel
Jul 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Good advice from an executive coach for creating habits and behaviour that lasts. I like Goldsmiths anecdotal style, but I can see that it might not be something for everyone. Sometimes the book was a bit repetitive, but not so much that it annoyed me.
Jazzmin Hunter
Asking yourself a set of questions every day is supposed to trigger new habits. As he says, the odds of his clients making change is high because he is "with them every step of the way". They are not just reading this book and making change based on the advice in it.
Chelsea Groton Bu...: Welcome Readers! 4 6 Nov 05, 2018 10:15AM
  • Your Survival Instinct Is Killing You: Retrain Your Brain to Conquer Fear, Make Better Decisions, and Thrive in the 21s t Century
  • The Chaos Imperative: How Chance and Disruption Increase Innovation, Effectiveness, and Success
  • Better and Faster: The Proven Path to Unstoppable Ideas
  • Organize Tomorrow Today: 8 Ways to Retrain Your Mind to Optimize Performance at Work and in Life
  • The Upside of Stress: Why Stress Is Good for You, and How to Get Good at It
  • The Eureka Factor: Aha Moments, Creative Insight, and the Brain
  • The Pursuit of Perfect: How to Stop Chasing Perfection and Start Living a Richer, Happier Life
  • Rewire: Change Your Brain to Break Bad Habits, Overcome Addictions, Conquer Self-Destructive Behavior
  • Thinking in New Boxes: A New Paradigm for Business Creativity
  • Simple Habits for Complex Times: Powerful Practices for Leaders
  • Stick with It: The Science of Lasting Changes
  • Rookie Smarts: Why Learning Beats Knowing in the New Game of Work
  • Succeed: How We Can Reach Our Goals
  • Zen to Done
  • Acceptance and Commitment Therapy: The Process and Practice of Mindful Change
  • Performing Under Pressure: The Science of Doing Your Best When It Matters Most
  • Suggestible You: The Curious Science of Your Brain's Ability to Deceive, Transform, and Heal
  • The Storyteller's Secret: How the World's Most Inspiring Leaders Turn Their Passion Into Performance
“getting mad at people for being who they are makes as much sense as getting mad at a chair for being a chair.” 12 likes
“Fate is the hand of cards we’ve been dealt. Choice is how we play the hand.” 11 likes